It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'd like to bring a very real conspiracy to your attention, it involves our beloved ATS.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I've been working on this for awhile, so please, give me your undivided attention. This is a very serious subject and I think it's time it was discussed properly.

Even though I'm blowing the whistle here, it should be noted that it took me a little while to put the pieces together. I'm sure many of you have felt something wasn't right, so I'm hoping you'll offer input as to the reality of this phenomena.

Over the course of my (cosmically) short time as a registered member here on ATS, after many years of lurking, I've begun to notice a trend that seems to be building steam. Post after post of ridiculous nonsense seems to be showing up at a startling rate. I'm far from a skeptic, greatly appreciating the far out topics typically discussed. What I've begun to notice, however, is not just the frequency of these threads in question, but also the reaction.

While steadfast members of the ATS community (typically you crafty veterans) are quick to decry the nonsensical madness going on in so many of the posts, there's a small uprising seemingly forming whose express purpose seems to be bumping, flagging, starring, and generally agreeing with the lunatic OP in question.

Now, while this isn't anything at face value, we should look deeper into the murky depths of this conspiracy. After tireless hours devoted to this subject, I can now prove - unequivocally - on an etch-a-sketch or home computer, mind you; that the members agreeing with and raising these posts to an undeserved level are all...NEW members.

While the influx of fresh blood is both important and refreshing, it is now becoming obvious that something increasingly more sinister is going on...

These new members, their reputations at stake, have secretly banded together via the interwebs to infiltrate their individual posts en masse. But, they aren't just reading these posts. No, sir. They're actually backing one another as though everything being said is beyond reproach. This is happening at an alarming rate. Everything from prediction threads ( www.abovetopsecret.com... )(www.abovetopsecret.com...), to the even more disturbing posts ( www.abovetopsecret.com... ) where the OP essentially makes the claim to be of ET origin.

Some of you may write this off, but our very EXISTENCE depends on our ability to stop these evil beings from controlling the boards. Today it's a post about web bots being flagged to the top, tomorrow your kid could have an important 6th grade presentation torn apart by a group of "D" students who have joined up together in order to push their belief that George Washington is still alive . Yeah, I know. It's hard to stomach. But, seriously - think of the children!

So the question becomes "where do we go from here?" I, for one, am not going to take this. Within moments of posting this, there will likely be a response from 30 members who joined in the last week, who will insist that I'm just a bitter Anti-noobite. They may attack my character and besmirch my good name. In all liklihood, they'll link to a post made by someone claiming to be from the Alpha Draconis who will insist that I am from a rebel start system looking only to eat your souls. Do not believe the lie, friends. We are better than that. I promise, I'm from Earth. I was born on Long Island, but that's still technically Earth, I think.

I submit that members with longstanding membership (I wouldn't qualify as long enough) be given the power to auto-ban anyone bumping a post that would make Sci-fi writers laugh heartily.

Let us get to the bottom of this. But, please, do so quietly. They're watching us. Thank you for your time.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I submit that members with longstanding membership (I wouldn't qualify as long enough) be given the power to auto-ban anyone bumping a post that would make Sci-fi writers laugh heartily.

I disagree with you, that has disaster wrote all over it, even though I tired or the retardedness that has become abundant, however this is for mods.

There is however an alert option, we can all alert if we feel the need, however imao, these threads always work themselves out, nobody forces any of us to reply.

We can't just have that as people would auto ban anything that did not fit into their view of reality.

We have a massive amount of mods so they usually is a few online at all times...
edit on 8-11-2010 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Isn't the whole point of this site that people can discuss ideas that a lot of people would call ridiculous in a more friendly environment then the average web forum.

I agree that some of the posts you pointed out seem beyond stupid, but that's just my opinion, I can argue with the general opinion of the thread if I want to, and I might just change some peoples minds, or maybe not. but things that seem ridiculous to me may not to others and vice versa

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I think you may be onto something, disnt Obama tart some kind of intrnet spy thing?

Anyway I totally support the member banning idea, rofl!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

until someone bans you for saying something they dont like right?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I think you're reading too much into this. I'd say the increasing number of utterly pointless and asinine threads on ATS is in direct proportion to the growing number of idiots in the world.

No conspiracy here, sadly. I understand though, it's hard to keep the disappointment to yourself at times. Some of the threads here lately, well you wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry, they're that bad.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by thektotheg

Just a question, if I may... what do you (or others) feel this influx or increased activity is do to? Do you (or others) believe it comes with malicious intent- i.e. to take down or discredit ATS? or do you (or others) feel it just comes with the territory of being a conspiracy site - i.e. attracting some far out theories along with a few wingnuts?

edit on 8-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I think the fact that people are taking this seriously is a symptom of the universe. Good lord, yall.
Satire?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I'm a new member. I do understand what you are saying.

They are like any other information gathering business and want as much input as possible!

I don't know what this site was like years ago but as Nostradamas said, " The quicking occurs with technology and people get out of control"!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Then why did you post it? I wouldn't and didn't take it seriously as a conspiracy but to have members banning members is a total fail idea.

it's a forum, interact.
don't like a thread, don't read, don't reply.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Maybe after years of listening to Coast to Coast AM and Alex Jones and watching this site, the next generation of Jones's and Icke's are beginning to spring up in hopes that they'll be advertised by Oprah's book of the month club, or maybe they are like me, and sprung up because they're last account was compromised and ATS wouldn't do anything about recovering their password.

link   
I don't want this to turn into a big fight, so listen:

The point of this was intentionally ridiculous. It was meant to show you how silly the conspiracies are getting. Yes, this is a conspiracy site...but does that mean we have to give in to utter madness on a daily basis? While the noobs really are flagging nonsensical threads, I'm just trying to take a jab at the way all of us see conspiracies everywhere at this point.

link   

(Your post) came a little too early to be effective... should have been a second page post.

edit on 8-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I would like to see them just remove anyone who's joined in the last six months or below a certain flag level.

Shut down the new membership option for a while until normalcy returns to the forums. If people start up nonsensical threads, just remove their username all together.

It's time to bring back the quality of the forums, NOT the quantity of nonsensical requests.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I figured everyone would have a laugh, I didn't expect anyone to take it seriously. I don't want to cause a fresh round of arguing about nonsense, so I let the truth be known. It's tongue-in-cheek, folks.

And I don't think members being able to ban other members is a good idea. That's the point. We are all taking ourselves way too seriously around here.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Isn't there a humour / Rant section for things like this?
Why is it in General conspiracies?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Sad! Sad! Sad!
Despite the late hours of the evening, I ran into my kitchen and made a fresh pot of Java, pulled out a fresh pack of smokes, and set down to read "unequivocal" proof that there was going to be evidence of a massive conspiracy. Now I have to dump the coffee. I was certain that at the very least you had found some website and screen captured some conversation of the conspirators conspiring.
Sad! Sad! Sad!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
i'd like to chime in and add that there are too many moderators that seem to encourage all those lunatics who make nonsense threads by giving everyone the benefit of the doubt. We need more skeptics as mods IMO. It might help spark some critical thinking among members instead of blind acceptance and belief in every dang thread.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Explanation: Uhm???
S&F! But
here is why...

What are the possible Military implications and/or applications of the ATS website? (by OmegaLogos) [ATS]

Post to that thread by fellow ATS member andy1033...

They are probably watching the site and are bound to have people posting. Like yesterday a person wrote that he was a soldier, and it was rotten in the american army. The thread was pounced upon, and they soon had the thread filled with rubbish about how good the life is in the army.

Heaps more posts similar to that one so it is worth the short read.

And...

Australia: Cyber security center unveiled. (by OmegaLogos) [ATS]

Quoting myself here...

Personal Disclosure: IMO this "Pit" will soon fill with cyber snakes, sharks, spys and shills and therefor we had better watch out for any sudden and strange influx of new members to ATS. Don't say you weren't warned!

Personal Disclosure: I hate to say it... But I Told ATS So!

P.S. Sigh!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I don't know, I feel like so much is ridiculous lately that we're losing sight of some important things. I wish people would stop S&F'ing suspect topics so we could discuss more important things. And I get that it's a conspiracy forum, I just feel like things are getting so far out there that we're losing what little sense of credibility we have. Sure, it's good to have new people, new ideas, and new topics...but at what cost? If we're going to defend everything posted just because it's a pretty "out there" forum, then what type of members are going to be joining? I'll tell you. The type who think posts by people claiming to have seen the end of the world in their alphabet soup are reliable and interesting. How many more aliens need to post before we realize things are getting kind of silly.

So many brilliant freaking people are here, man. For real. The debates back and forth are downright riveting so much of the time. But, the more I see the degeneration of the quality of posts, the sadder I get. Sometimes, it's important to take a step back, breathe, and remember we're on a ride, here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join