It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Art Exhibit Depicting Jesus in a Sex Act Sparks Outrage in Colorado

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

Wow. So your whole point in that post was that if the artwork were your doing, you would have had my God and King in an even more sexual position and would have made it your point to insult billions of people even more than this guy did.

You disgust me.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mykahel
We do, however, have clear instruction from the Bible who is going to Hell, and it is those who have trampled the son under foot and continue to live lustful lives full of all sorts of sin.

Ok, time for a scripture lesson . . .

Matthew 25:31-46 (New International Version)

The Sheep and the Goats
"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'
"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Did this get left out of your bible?

Loving charity is what is asked of us above all else.

Chagoya is using his art to try and help children who are being raped within the Catholic church.
What are you doing to protect these children?

edit on 8/10/10 by Kailassa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

Didn't need the lesson. I say the following not to boast about my own deeds, but to show you your error in assuming what a person does or does not do. I speak out against the doings of the Catholic church any time the issue comes up, as well as the failings of the church as a whole in providing for the less fortunate. I have also supported numerous children overseas as well as in our cities to make sure they were clothed, fed, and educated.

I know full well that Christ has called us to service of his children (meaning all people, but especially those in need). I actually preached a sermon not a month ago about how so many of us Christians were going to Hell because we weren't living a faith of action, since faith is shown by its deeds. A faith that does not result in doing the things mentioned in Matt. 25 is no faith at all and is dead. Much like the Pharisees of Jesus' time. I believe the book of James had plenty to say about faith and deeds as well, which I am sure you are aware of considering the nature of your post.

That being said, it is still wrong to mock the Messiah, regardless of the end goal. Yes, I know Christ says that those who blaspheme against him can be forgiven, but if it is their goal in life to mock God, do they even want forgiven? God has given us free will, and this man uses his to insult his very Creator.

Edit: God did not ask for charity above all else. It may be the primary way we express our love to people (the second commandment) but the first and most important commandment is this, to love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all of your mind, and with all your strength. do not neglect the most important commandment to fulfill any other.
edit on 8-10-2010 by Mykahel because: Left out a note on the charity issue...

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Mykahel

See these are your opinions.... I see Jesus and religion much more sinister.. It is a control feature of our ancestors...

Does it matter how many believe? What if I make Garfield my Jesus? Can I then condem all of the nasty cartoons of garfield?

I am so sorry that you are religious.. I feel bad for people that need religion.

It is ironic, the thing that people find peace with, has killed more people in history than all of the last 100 years in wars. That is pathetic.

Food for thought...
Virgin birth my keister!
Your wife comes home from work and tells you she is pregnant. But you havent slept with her in over a year.
"But this is god's child" Bwhahahahahahaahah Can anyone say domestic violence?

So basicly, Jesus is the son of a roman soldier.... And he is a basis for a religion that has lasted for thousands of years...
The bible has so many things that are impossible... but are brushed off as miracles...
It really is sad... People are so hungry for something to believe in that is bigger than themselves.

This world will only see true peace when religion is a thing of the past.

I always wonder this.. How do creationists explain the dinasaurs? I really am curious. Does someone have an explanation to explain the time discrepancies between the biblical age of the earth and the discovery of dinasaur fosils millions of years old..

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Mobius1974

Won't bother with most of the post because that is your opinion, and one that I cannot say much to except that I obviously think you are wrong.

There are plenty of wars started for many things other than religion. Not to be rude, but I think it is naive to think that peace would come as a result of a lack of religion. For instance, this artist might not have mocked a religion but would have a number of other things to critique such as child labor, our government, and the abuse of big companies that control... well... lots of stuff. War will always exist because there will always be injustice in the world. I dont think religion is the answer, I think Christ is.

Anyway, there is a guy named Ken ham that does a lot of stuff with the time period issues you asked. Personally, I dont think the world is millions or billions of years old. Science has contradicted itself and changed its mind so many times that I see no way that some of their findings can be reliable. There are too many giant-sized loopholes in their theories and so on so forth.

Anyway, dinosaurs existed up into the last couple thousand years anyway. There are a lot of references to things like dragons and such, which would be very similar to the description of dinosaurs, in a lot of ancient europeans art and literature. There are also drawings in caves made by indians of creatures that look a lot like dinosaurs. There is one example, though I dont recall exactly where, that sketches of a pterodactyl were found in a cave where Indians had lived and lo and behold scientists found pterodactyl fossils nearby. There are lots of ways that fossilization occurs, such as Mineralization and that can happen very rapidly in the right circumstances, such as a global flood that creates a lot of highly mineralized water that would kill of billions of animals and bury them under rock layers.

Sorry, off topic of the OP a bit but it is related to a degree and you asked. check out Ken Ham... he actually studies the stuff.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I know I said I was done, but this is such a ripe plum, it'd be churlish not to pick it.

Originally posted by Mykahel
reply to post by Bunken Drum

Wow. So your whole point in that post was that if the artwork were your doing, you would have had my God and King in an even more sexual position and would have made it your point to insult billions of people even more than this guy did.

You disgust me.
I cannot claim that your (curiously uncensored) ad hom claim to be disgusted by me as a result of my assertion that there is nothing wrong with a depiction of consenting adults having sex, regardless of who they are, disgusts me, b/c if I did, I would get censored again. Thus I specifically repudiate that thought. Instead, I'll say this:
"God and King", eh?
I'm a pagan; pretty eclectic, but if you google classic gods & goddesses, you'll get at least as close as a scruffy white bloke with long hair & a beard is to a semite circa 30 CE. Put them in photoshop, or create your own, doing whatever you like. I dont care.
In the UK, sadly, we have a Queen. Depict her, her heirs or successors, anyone else, including me, doing anything. I dont care.
Create a piece of art that depicts your claimed disgust with me. I dont care.
Nor would I care if any of the above were shown in a public gallery, or if, what would amount to a few pence of my tax, were used to fund the exhibition. If I happened to be passing, I might pop in for a look (sans crowbar). See, our freedom to believe what we choose is paid for by our acceptance that others have the same opportunity. The fact that my agenda is to see organised religion dead is immaterial. If you wish to attempt to crush my beliefs, pick up the metaphorical sword, its not like your fellow believers haven't used the literal sword for the same purpose for nearly 2 millenia.
Is it fair tho? As I said earlier: no, its raining. Thats life. Hey, be meek. You'll inherit scraps.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The outraged masses should be glad it wasn't a depiction of Jesus eating children, as that might have been a far more appropriate image.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Hey everyone I live in the town where this happened (this is weird something on ATS actually happened in my town...). Anyway I think this is blown way out of proportion and the people who are protesting are just fueling the fire. Listen Loveland prides itself on being an "Art" town and I believe this Artist is just being controversial on purpose just to earn media attention.

As for tax payer dollars going to this, no they did not go to the artist itself, but they go to the museum! The city council even wanted to set up affordable housing quarters just for artists (funded by guess what? your tax dollars!). I'm an artist (musician) and even I think this is ridiculous.

I haven't seen the exhibit nor do I intend to, I think the subject is tasteless and horribly hypocritical in the sense that one can draw Jesus doing such things and not even draw Muhammad. If he is trying to say something about free speech he should paint Muhammad too, it's only fair.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by asmall89

For the love of all thats moist & smells of bodily fluid, I just cant seem to leave this thread alone.

f he is trying to say something about free speech he should paint Muhammad too, it's only fair.
Did anyone tell you life would be fair? If so, they were deluded or lying.
Look at it like this:
If judaism, christianity & islam were ATSers having a debate about the right way to live, an unbiased reader would be left with these impressions -
Judaism doesn't know what point its trying to make but wont shut up.
Christianity = epic fail.
Islam - stuck on capslock with plenty of ad hom.
Those of us who're trying to find a better way to live would be asking hard questions. Getting no sensible answers, we'd just pop in to the thread now & then for its comedy value. However, at the moment islam or judaism starts to fail, then, naturally, we will push to end them.
Again, is it fair? No. So what? You can only do whats realistic. Devoting yourself to an impossible task is foolish. Thus I pick the battles I can win & rely on those who come after to do the same.
In case a particular person doesn't get the relevance here, it is that islam is not yet weak enough to destroy, but christianity is, therefore it matters not what anyone thinks is fair: last person standing wins.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

"This is a taxpayer-supported, public museum and it’s family-friendly," Donna Rice, another member of the city council, told the Denver Post. "This is not something the community can be proud of."

So we have a public place funded by tax dollars, displaying religious material..........

How come the ACLU isnt all over this one? OOOOOOO thats right you have to have enough money to extort to make it worth their time..........

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
If Colorado joins the "Lost Continent of Mu"; in the depths of the Pacific. Remember I predicted it first! The issue with artists and morality has been around, probably since cave men started painting images. The fact that people make this kind of art, partially reflects our current culture.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Nobody knows what 'Jesus' really looked like thus making this argument invalid ...

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I suppose nothing is off limits anymore. It's sad that people don't have common courtesy for others beliefs. I remember when the "art" piece called Piss Christ was on display. It was Jesus soaked in urine. What is this supposed to represent?

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
As if you knew what he looked like lol

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

"This is a taxpayer-supported, public museum and it’s family-friendly," Donna Rice, another member of the city council, told the Denver Post. "This is not something the community can be proud of."

So we have a public place funded by tax dollars, displaying religious material..........

How come the ACLU isnt all over this one? OOOOOOO thats right you have to have enough money to extort to make it worth their time..........

What are you on about?
Do you think it's unusual for a public place funded by tax dollars, to be displaying religious material?

Have you noticed ACLU, or anyone else for that matter, trying to stop public libraries funded by tax dollars from having Bibles on their shelves?

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SL55T0T0

You haven;t read the rest of the posts have you? It doesn't matter that Christ did not look exactly like the painting. It's the fact that the image is supposed to be representative of or at least allude to Christ. As I've said before, it's rarely the picture itself that is the problem, but the message it portrays.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Hes just some retarded painter, theres more important things that you should worry about TRUST ME

edit on 9-10-2010 by SL55T0T0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed

I hope those on here whining about draw muhammed day, can be equally upset about this.....

Whether its portraying Jesus in acts of sex or offensive drawings about Mohammed, it all has to do with freedom. While I would argue that expressions such as these have to be permitted if we are truly a free society, it does not mean that it is not in poor taste or offensive.

The difference in my opinion has to do with whether or not its publicly funded. Public funds ie tax payer money should not be used to promote or denounce a particular faith or religion.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I'm afraid this is also too good to miss.

Originally posted by Fury1984
I suppose nothing is off limits anymore. It's sad that people don't have common courtesy for others beliefs. I remember when the "art" piece called Piss Christ was on display. It was Jesus soaked in urine. What is this supposed to represent?
The artists opinion that Jesus was not only submissive but enjoyed watersports perhaps? No, I expect it was intended to depict the artists contempt for christianity.
Still, contempt isn't polite. Please tell us when this golden age, you refer to with "anymore", was. Was it a time when people did not show contempt for each others ideas, or was it simply sad back then also? Perhaps you mean the times when christianity was so powerful that one could not show contempt for it, for fear of being persecuted &/or killed?
As far as I can tell, the competition between ideas has always been as 'red in tooth & claw' as physical nature. Is it sad tho, or is it how ideas evolve to become more suited to the environment the people who believe them find themselves in?

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

What are you on about? Do you think it's unusual for a public place funded by tax dollars, to be displaying religious material? Have you noticed ACLU, or anyone else for that matter, trying to stop public libraries funded by tax dollars from having Bibles on their shelves?

Ive noticed the ACLU attacking any entity that can claim itself as public, or payed for by tax payers, or government run in general, that displays anything christian.......

My post reply on this is short, because if you cant see the pattern here with the methodology of the ACLU , either you are not looking objectively , or you are unawares of their comings and goings.....

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join