It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indianapolis Bakery Refuses To Bake Gay Cupcakes

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
in reasonable terms what the flying fudge is a GAY cupcake? did it rise in the closet and not the oven, did it overly cover it self in its mothers colouring and pranced around the house in her cake tin and hundreds and thousands?, do they come in a rubber box ? a cupcake is a cupcake, what it gets upto behind the closed cake box is its own business, we have no issue with this, couldn't the gay couple not just buy plain iced cakes and decorate them, themselves? or did i miss something in this media induced crap ?.

Wee Mad

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I'm sure the daughters would have seen the rainbows on the cupcakes and instantly turned into lesbians.
It happens guys, trust me on this!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Regardless of any of this,

If I were asked to make cupcakes (provided I ran a business that made cupcakes) that said "God does not condone homosexuality", I would laugh, make them, and take the money. That's professionalism; that's business. This is just another way of bringing up that wall because what they do does not involve you and you feel that all the attention should be on you. It's unfortunate that gay people want, for one day of the year, to feel like they are not the separated minority to society; let's make a big deal of this and refuse our business to them because what we think is always right. God forbids you to make cupcakes for the sinners! You are better than them, they do not deserve your service! I'm sorry, these people clearly don't know what they're doing -- or preaching -- in the business world.

edit on 30-9-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brood
Regardless of any of this,

If I were asked to make cupcakes (provided I ran a business that made cupcakes) that said "God does not condone homosexuality", I would laugh, make them, and take the money. That's professionalism; that's business.

Well honestly - I would have trouble making "worded" cupcakes for Fred Phelps or the KKK or White Supremacy - - - depending on the wording.

Now if they just wanted white cakes with no wording - - - I'd probably do it and take their money. Cuz they could go in any grocery store and pick up white cupcakes. I don't see how my denying them would stand for anything. Everyone's gotta eat.

From all that I've read - - - there was no wording requested - - - just rainbow coloring. So I personally do not see a problem.

But these owners did. Allegedly.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Uh yes, as business owners, they can refuse to fill any order they choose.

I wouldn't bake any damn rainbow cupcakes either.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkrunner

No infact you cant there is a federal law preventing you from refusing service to people on the basis of discrimination

The Federal Civil Rights Act guarantees all people the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin."

You are also not allowed to refuse service to people without a good reason on arbitrary grounds

a California court decided that a restaurant owner could not refuse to seat a gay couple in a semi-private booth where the restaurant policy was to only seat two people of opposite sexes in such booths. There was no legitimate business reason for the refusal of service, and so the discrimination was arbitrary and unlawful.

link

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
this is hardly a story, what a boring idea for a thread.
I don't care if people bum each other or not as long as no one tries to bum me.

I did not realize pastries had sexuality.

-B.M

edit on 30/9/10 by B.Morrison because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Do they have the right to refuse to bake gay cupcakes?

Based on principal or morals or values?

For any reason?

I've seen the signs in a lot of places.

"This establishment reserves the right to refuse service for any reason."

Part of living in a free society is the ability to express ones own opinions and beliefs. This includes refusing patronage from people that they may not like or agree with.

Why would gay people want to patronize an establishment that clearly doesn't agree with their lifestyle?
Plenty of other places to get rainbow colored cupcakes.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
OK, if it was a bunch dicks on top of the cupcakes I'd understand those to be gay cupcakes, but how on Earth is rainbow on a cupcake gay? I see them with rainbow sprinkles all the time, it is pretty standard stuff. If you’re going to call a tasty rainbow cupcake gay you might as well stop baking cupcakes because the word “cupcake” is pretty gay. In fact, cupcake is one of the more gay sounding pastries. Better quit baking cupcakes before your daughters eat each other's cupcakes.

Comedian Dov Davidoff - Cookies
any1?
comedians.jokes.com...

edit on 30-9-2010 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by B.Morrison
this is hardly a story, what a boring idea for a thread.
I don't care if people bum each other or not as long as no one tries to bum me.

I did not realize pastries had sexuality.

-B.M

edit on 30/9/10 by B.Morrison because: (no reason given)

So boring you just had to rush in and fire off this amazing comment.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
This is unbelievable
If you don't like it, buy from someone else

I feel bad for the poor guy, he's just trying to protect his daughters
not from being gay
but any good father would not want his young daughters to make pastry with an intent of sexual orientation
i'm sure he would also disagree to making boobs as cupcakes or a vagina with peach fuzz around it

this is not necessarily about homosexuality... but just sexuality

Leave private businesses ALONE

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I think a cup cake is fairly gay in itself... for a pastry...

But hey that's just mah opinion.

edit on 30-9-2010 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Makes you wonder where the line "hello cupcake" originated from...

2nd line.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Yes, they have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason... While it is illegal to discriminate. The law that allows business the right to refuse business to anyone for any reason, does get abused...

Legally they have every right to do this. Morally, I would say it sucks.... But on the other hand, Morally, clearly this business disagrees with me.

There is nothing wrong with being gay, but there is something wrong with refusing to do business with someone because they are gay. I think anyway...

Is it wrong? yes. Is it legal? yes.

I am reminded though of three quotes by Martin Luther King Jr.

"One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws. "

"I submit that an individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and is willing to accept the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law."

We should never forget that everything Adolf Hitler did in Germany was "legal" and everything the Hungarian freedom fighters did in Hungary was "illegal."

I guess what I am saying is it is more than legal to refuse to make these cupcakes... but just because it is legal, does not make it right by any means.... and always remember, you do have the right to protest.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
This is unbelievable
If you don't like it, buy from someone else

They did.

And it is not clear how the media got this story. The original rep from the gay group is not interested or pursuing this.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

I've seen the signs in a lot of places.

"This establishment reserves the right to refuse service for any reason."

Part of living in a free society is the ability to express ones own opinions and beliefs. This includes refusing patronage from people that they may not like or agree with.

Why would gay people want to patronize an establishment that clearly doesn't agree with their lifestyle?
Plenty of other places to get rainbow colored cupcakes.

If you refuse service and it falls under discrimination laws.

You better be prepared to back up your reasoning.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Everyone in the near by area should boycott the bakery.

Such discrimination has no place in our society.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Rainbows are a symbol for many things including christianity. The gays don't own the rainbow symbol and I don't see how it would hurt the girls. Its not like it was a cupcake of a *@#$ going into another guys #$!

That said a private bakery can choose what orders they want to fill and the customers can use another bakery.
Only straight baked goods in my house because I'm that insecure.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by Darkrunner

No infact you cant there is a federal law preventing you from refusing service to people on the basis of discrimination

The Federal Civil Rights Act guarantees all people the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin."

You are also not allowed to refuse service to people without a good reason on arbitrary grounds

a California court decided that a restaurant owner could not refuse to seat a gay couple in a semi-private booth where the restaurant policy was to only seat two people of opposite sexes in such booths. There was no legitimate business reason for the refusal of service, and so the discrimination was arbitrary and unlawful.

link

Yes they can refuse to make the cupcakes. When they received the order and saw what it was for, they simply say, "Can't do it, too busy. So sorry."

They can also refuse to serve you based on the way you look or how you dress, if they feel it's inappropriate.

Back to the OP, not wanting their daughters exposed to homosexuality based on religious beliefs would not be "arbitrary grounds".

Now if they had just said "We hate faggots and aren't going to serve them.", then you may have a point.

edit on 30-9-2010 by Darkrunner because: add

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Why boycott?

Just cause they don't accept it, doesnt mean they are not tolerant, its his business and his choice, I mean I thought this was America still...

Not like he is in the business of making anti-gay cupcakes...

Feel free to misconstrue my post as you wish.

edit on 30-9-2010 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join