It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING! Odds of Life on Newfound Earth-Size Planet '100 Percent,' Astronomer Says!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

Exciting because what many people across the world about an ET coverup maybe coming to an end.

Of course it depends on what you beleive, is there or isnt there a coverup.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

Short and stumpy. Ewoks?

Are we sure it was really a galaxy far, far away?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
For a long time the skeptics have been trying to claim that we are probably alone in the universe, the only intelligent life, but as our ability to search out new planets has improved, the idea that we are alone in this universe, or even nearby galaxy, becomes less and less likely.

Scientific evidence continues to tip the scales in favor of those of us who see space populated more like a Star Trek movie.

Full ahead, warp factor six, Sulu.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Next thing will probably be someone suggesting that we send astronauts there to procreate with the aliens in order to create a worker-class hybrid who can obey our commands and dig minerals for us for shipment back to Earth. You think?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I am not sure if anyone has posted the info I just posted on the last page yet, I seen this thread start while i was at work last night so this is the first chance I have had to respond. The OP seems very uneducated here and is blowing this way out of proportion. Besides, msn is usually amongst the last of the sources the get the "news"

Seriously though, if anyone hasn't watch the Stephen Hawking series head over to youtube and watch all three episodes. We might just get some real conversation's going on here then, like how can we get ourselves there faster than thousands of years traveling through space. Or how to successful build Chryo-chambers to freeze us while we travel.

GummB

stephen hawking the story of everything

stephen hawking aliens

stephen hawking time travel

link   
I don't usualy post in threads as this because they evolve to the same tit for tat argument almost every single time in the end accomplishing nothing.

However, it is very interesting to see lately alot ET/UFO category stories getting headlines when before they were shown in a less than serious light or avoided all together.

link   
This continues to lend power to the idea that we are not alone in this universe. Stats alone would show you that it's almost mathmatically impossible that given the massive size of our universe, that there are not other habitable planets out there. Life on those planets is a different story--but, once again, given the numbers, intelligence life elsewhere is more LIKELY than NOT likely.

Skeptics and debunkers will debunk until the day they die; after disclosure is revealed they'll bleat about "Project Bluebeam" or something, unable to accept the truth. I don't understand where the fear is coming from.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by kimwarrior

Maybe when we can travel 100 times faster than light speed that will be possible, until then we just look at it with envy.
Realistically this will most likely be as much as we ever learn about this planet in our life times

GummB

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
BREAKING NEWS!!!!

"Anonymous astronomer states there is 100% chance life exists on a newly discovered planet"

MORE BREAKING NEWS!!!!

"Notable anonymous astronomer's claims other astronomer is 100% BS"

We really wont know anything until more data comes in. And there aren't, and most likely never will be telescopes large and powerful enough for us to detect life on planets so far away. I just don't see the point in arguing about it at this point.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by kimwarrior

Hah, history repeats itself!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

What skeptics have been saying is that there is no evidence that aliens are visiting Earth. We are the first to admit that chance are high that there is other life in the universe.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Yep. In Your face skeptics!

The time off truth is approaching rapidly.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

Sure, they will take a while to get there at sub-light speeds,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the understatement of the year! It would take centuries!
First of all, some of you don't understand a light year is a measure of distance, not time. It's how far light travels in one year. The speed of light is approximatly 186,000 miles per second! That's 700 some MILLION MILES PER HOUR!!!
I believe the fastest humans have traveled is maybe 25,000 mph or so ( in space), and that's just a guess.
Quite a gulf there ya think? Oh yeah, warp speed. sure.
As far as any factual basis for this commonly used explanation to get around the unimaginable distances of interstellar space, IT'S A CREATION OF SCIENCE FICTION! It's a plot trick to make stories of space adventures possibele and nothing more. You learned it from Star Trek.
Einstein postulated, and he's correct as far as we know, that to acccelerate at the speed of light, it would take INFINTE energy ! Read that again, INFINTE ENERGY. And if a material object achieved light velocity, it would no longer consist of matter, but would be energy. E=MC2.
Big problems to over come huh?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I was reading that the star (dwarf) that this planet orbits around is much much older than our Sun, that means that if there is indeed life on this planet here is a very good chance that it could be very advanced. Lets hold our fingers crossed that more comes out and that the momentum of this news will bring us more and more news .... This my friends is just the edge of the iceberg.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by chrisrand

I agree there's still a lot more information needed about this newly discovered planet, but so far what information we have looks promising.

We will be able to use spectrography to analyze the planet's atmosphere to determine whether it's similar enough to ours (e.g., the presence of oxygen, nitrogen, methane, etc.) to be able to harbor life as we know it. At least, that's the next innovation learning about extrasolar planets, and it'll give us a pretty good idea of the most likely places to find a planet filled with life, or at least capable of sustaining human life.

edit on 30-9-2010 by Ariel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
The ancient sumerian clay tablets that wrote of beings from the sky coming to earth and mixing with our earth population is becoming more believable all the time. Factual history not myth.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
u guys are completely out of your minds

disclosure is not an event, is a process

its probably happening right now, but thats the way they want to do it, so you can get use to the idea

thats what makes most sense ... but they wont announce complex beings in a near future ... probably just some simple form of life ...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by AlphaANDOmega

The inability of the "believer" to grasp such a simple concept is very revealing.
There are two questions here;
1: Is there life elsewhere in the universe?
It's highly likely, but not known at this time as fact.

2: Is intelligent life visiting Earth?
There is far more evidence against than for, such as physics, the vast distances of space, REAL science.
There is NO factual basis to believe they are visiting, and it's highly unlikley they are.

Simple.
But "believers", since they base their conclusions on belief rather than knowledge, merge the two questions into one.
This lack of comprehension of such a simple distinction certainly casts, uh, doubts, on the believers ability to understand more complex concepts.
There is a huge amount of ignorance concerning science FACT on this thread, and ATS. Seem's the believers soak up science fiction, and show little interest in science fact. Hint. Science fiction is, uh, FICTION!

edit on 30-9-2010 by OldDragger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
TextYoreply to post by OldDragger

Your just a stupid ignorant...Do some research before talking you ham.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Machismo88
TextYoreply to post by OldDragger

Your just a stupid ignorant...Do some research before talking you ham.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gee, what a thoughful reply.
Care to point out my ignorance?
Do you know anything at all about Astronomy, or any science?
Put your money where your mouth is child, let's hear it!

But, I bet you have nothing at al but....belief.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join