It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING! Odds of Life on Newfound Earth-Size Planet '100 Percent,' Astronomer Says!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+105 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
This is the greatest story since we landed on the moon. Disclosure is imminent with the UN and Vatican onboard, is it time to re-evaluate your skepticism to realign yourself with the present reality??

"An Earth-size planet has been spotted orbiting a nearby star at a distance that would makes it not too hot and not too cold comfortable enough for life to exist, researchers announced today (Sept. 29).
If confirmed, the exoplanet, named Gliese 581g, would be the first Earth-like world found residing in a star's habitable zone a region where a planet's temperature could sustain liquid water on its surface."

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Will we be led into a false flag for an alien invasion? Or are TPTB deciding to grace the public with the worlds most sacred and valued treasure, that of the knowledge which has been stolen from us for so long?

Is the quickening truly at hand?...

edit on 29-9-2010 by rajaten because: Bcos

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.
Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

edit on 30/9/2010 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

+33 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

Wanna bet?

This thread will fade into obscurity. No disclosure is going to happen, no aliens are here. Nothing is what will happen.
Bet on it.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

Only time will tell.

Time will tell.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten
This is the greatest story since we landed on the moon. Disclosure is imminent with the UN and Vatican onboard, is it time to re-evaluate your skepticism to realign yourself with the present reality??

If my skepticism told me there was no chance of aliens anywhere, I'd be a fool.

This could be an amazing discovery, and the first step toward where we need to look to find alien life. This also is worlds away from the UFO phenomenon and the hypothesis of visiting intelligent aliens.

Just because they're out there doesn't mean they have to be here.

That said, I'm very excited about this. Could be huge in terms of us finally answering the question of whether or not they're out there.

+25 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Your probably right, disclosure will not happen anytime soon.

But not for lack of existence, they probably don't want to shatter the fragile belief systems of people like yourself

can't have any mass suicides now.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

I wish we could bet on it, because I would take your bet, as the odds makers are scrambling of late, with all the information coming to light in the recent times.

It is inevitable that, as we look to the stars and search further and further, we will find life that can be introduced into the general knowledge of the public... whether it is intelligent or not.

Maybe they will never tell us the truths that have been covered, but new information may be, in fact, divulged to the public as times, they are a'changin'

edit on 29-9-2010 by esteay812 because: Grammar... once again

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

Fragile belief system! Har har

Same dumb cliche's that are allways thrown at GASP non "believers"!
Heard this for decades, you got nothing!
Yeah, mass suicides!

Really you people parrot the EXACT SAME thing that's been said since the 1950's! EXACTLY the same as the plot of a 50's flying saucer movie! And you think it new and radical and "awake" Hilarious!
Kids crack me up!
It's trite and cliche'd!
Probably the least likley explanation!

+51 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

Fragile belief system! Har har

Same dumb cliche's that are allways thrown at GASP non "believers"!
Heard this for decades, you got nothing!
Yeah, mass suicides!

Really you people parrot the EXACT SAME thing that's been said since the 1950's! EXACTLY the same as the plot of a 50's flying saucer movie! And you think it new and radical and "awake" Hilarious!
Kids crack me up!
It's trite and cliche'd!
Probably the least likley explanation!

And what have you been saying?
All you do is go into conspiracy threads and deny anything and everything.
You don't use rational thought, you just deny anything that isn't shown straight to your face.
You're the worst of the debunkers, the kind who just deny because they haven't been told its true by the people they like.

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Invisible Man That Lives In The Sky Tells Me:

The Powers That Be are slowly, but steadily, conditioning the masses to not be shocked for the introduction of 'cosmic neighbors' and entry into the cosmic neighborhood.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

Yes good.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

100%

???

I thought it said:

temperatures at the heart of the day side or the night side might be too hot for life as we know it, but there could be a livable zone around the line between shadow and light.

"Any emerging life forms would have a wide range of stable climates to choose from and to evolve around, depending on their longitude," Vogt said.

Did I miss the 100% part?

Ahh, different article one of them is omitting (wonder which)

Just as Mercury is locked facing the sun, the planet is tidally locked to its star, so that one side basks in perpetual daylight, while the other side remains in darkness. This locked configuration helps to stabilize the planet's surface climate, Vogt said.

"Any emerging life forms would have a wide range of stable climates to choose from and to evolve around, depending on their longitude," Vogt said, suggesting that life forms that like it hot would just scoot toward the light side of that line while forms with polar-bear-like preferences would move toward the dark side.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Other article: cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com...

edit on 9/29/2010 by adigregorio because: Updates

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Kewl now that system has FIVE planets

Credit ESO
www.eso.org...

Red dwarf star Gliese 581
as seen from the surface of extrasolar planet Gliese 581 c

Credit: Walter Myers
www.arcadiastreet.com...

+14 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

Here's what I wrote in another thread.
This illustrates perfectly the problem with lack of perpective! It's been 100 years since the "MSM" first dealt with the idea! 5 years!? Sorry, but the idea is only shocking and mind blowing to the very young that are just discovering things! If you really study the idea you will find that out. I was a kid in the 1950's, EVERYBODY was talking about Flyning Saucers. It ain't new! Trouble is, it hasn't progressed since then! Maybe when you see the same thing over and over and over and over for fifty years you might begin to wonder!
The bottom line is NOTHING EVER HAPPENS!

This is a cool discovery. It's foolish of the astronomer to say 100%.
It's also foolish and completley irrational to connect this with "disclosure".
Sorry you can't understand that, sorry you don't know the difference between believing, wishing and hoping sci fi will be true, and real astronomy and science.
Believers
are the irrational ones.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Zorgon, the article states they actually have found 2 new planets for a total of 6; isn't it amazing what they can deduce and infer about a star system just 20 light years away?

seeker

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
There is a good article on this new discovery at www.SkyandTelescope.com . This star is only 20 light years away, really in our backyard, on the scale of the Galaxy, which is 100,000 light years across. The article brings out the fact that a habitable planet, found so near Earth, and so early in the process of searching for Earth-like planets, suggests that *at least* 15-20% of all stars are likely to have habitable planets. That would mean several of these within the same 20 light years. *Plenty* of places for life. Ross

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ross 54
There is a good article on this new discovery at www.SkyandTelescope.com . This star is only 20 light years away, really in our backyard, on the scale of the Galaxy, which is 100,000 light years across. The article brings out the fact that a habitable planet, found so near Earth, and so early in the process of searching for Earth-like planets, suggests that *at least* 15-20% of all stars are likely to have habitable planets. That would mean several of these within the same 20 light years. *Plenty* of places for life. Ross

Well, no thinking person can argue with that analysis.

Thank you for aq rational piost Ross 54

Harte

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Ross 54

Thanks for the extra info

This is really exciting news!

It seems that the planet is pretty much the same size as earth too but with 3 times more mass and so a higher gravity of 2g.
The most promising bit about it though seems to be that this is only the 9th star they have been able to look for these planets around and they found one, so it's looking like they might be pretty common

+21 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
First off, the scientist that gave the OP an overly sensational and ignorant thread title didn't make this statement as a scientist. He made it on personal feelings, beliefs and desires.

There is not a scientist on the planet that would make that statement based on the currently available information. We do not yet have the capabilities to come to any conclusion regarding this, or any number of other planets out there. I know that sucks for some of you to hear, and some don't want to believe it because that makes their life boring or something.....but it is reality.

There is no reason to get excited about finding a planet in a habitable zone of any star. We all knew it was going to happen sooner or late with the shear rate of current planet discovery. So yeah, no big deal. The big deal comes when we develop better equipment and can get more detail. Then the fun begins.

+14 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts
First off, the scientist that gave the OP an overly sensational and ignorant thread title didn't make this statement as a scientist. He made it on personal feelings, beliefs and desires.

There is not a scientist on the planet that would make that statement based on the currently available information. We do not yet have the capabilities to come to any conclusion regarding this, or any number of other planets out there. I know that sucks for some of you to hear, and some don't want to believe it because that makes their life boring or something.....but it is reality.

There is no reason to get excited about finding a planet in a habitable zone of any star. We all knew it was going to happen sooner or late with the shear rate of current planet discovery. So yeah, no big deal. The big deal comes when we develop better equipment and can get more detail. Then the fun begins.

You must be a lot of fun at parties.

Yes, this is a big deal. The planet is only 20 light years away. That's just down the street on the galactic scale. Of course, not every planet that's roughly the size of earth is going to be like Earth. There are likely Mars-like and Venus-like planets and who knows what other possibilities exist, but there will be earth-like planets and they will have intelligent life.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

I thought it was a strange thing for an astrophysicist to say too, but I decided to turn off my sceptical response processor for a while as the news is just really exiting.
Maybe the astrophysicist was just excited too

Lets not turn such a positive discovery into an argument.... please

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join