It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN to appoint Earth contact for aliens (Exaggeration)

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by smokingman2006

...Fox news has this as a hoax now. Earlier they reported the same info we heard. Something is fishy here. Is this a probe for a reaction? Probably not considering the small amount of time before denial. However, is it possible they wanted this to be kept secret? Another good question....would we not want someone with diplomatic AND scientific skillsets for this job? Scientists do not make the best conversation/negotiation. Fox article follows ....

U.N. Denies Appointing 'First Contact' for Visiting Space Aliens
Monday, September 27, 2010
Print
Is the United Nations set to appoint an obscure Malaysian astrophysicist to act as Earth's first contact for any aliens that may come visiting? Nonsense, said the U.N.

Mazlan Othman, the head of the U.N.'s little-known Office for Outer Space Affairs (Unoosa), is set to describe her potential new role as chief alien ambassador next week at a scientific conference at the Royal Society's Kavli conference center in Buckinghamshire, England, reported London's Sunday Times. "Nonsense," responded the U.N.

"The mandate of the Office for Outer Space Affairs is defined by the United Nations General Assembly and there are no plans to change the current mandate," Jamshid Gaziyev, a spokesman for the agency, told FoxNews.com.

The Times article claimed that Othman would tell delegates that the recent discovery of hundreds of planets around other stars has made the detection of extraterrestrial life more likely than ever before -- and that means the U.N. must be ready to coordinate humanity's response to any "first contact."

Instead, she will use the conference to discuss the problems posed by "space debris mitigation, near-Earth objects (asteroids) and the coordination mechanism for the use of space technology in the United Nations system," Gaziyev said.

The Times article cited a talk Othman gave recently to fellow scientists, where she said: "The continued search for extraterrestrial communication, by several entities, sustains the hope that some day humankind will receive signals from extraterrestrials.

"When we do, we should have in place a coordinated response that takes into account all the sensitivities related to the subject. The U.N. is a ready-made mechanism for such coordination."

Professor Richard Crowther, an expert in space law and governance at the U.K. Space Agency and who leads British delegations to the U.N. on such matters, said: "Othman is absolutely the nearest thing we have to a 'take me to your leader' person."

However, he thinks humanity's first encounter with any intelligent aliens is more likely to be via radio or light signals from a distant planet than by beings arriving on Earth. And, he suggests, even if we do encounter aliens in the flesh, they are more likely to be microbes than anything intelligent.
Article link

edit on 27-9-2010 by Spirit Warrior 11:11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by witness63

What previous position? The claims came from a news article.

The Royal Society knew nothing about it. The United Nations referred all queries to the switchboard of Unoosa in Vienna. Its switchboard number wasn't much help. "The person at extension 4951 is unavailable, please leave your message after the tone," it said. Those messages might make for some interesting listening today.

www.guardian.co.uk...

edit on 9/27/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

I would imagine that she did indeed get all kinds of interesting messages. I suspect that someone probably came down on her like a ton of bricks. Just going by past history here....

edit on 27-9-2010 by witness63 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
So this may either be a hoax or she got shut up by TPTB. Damnit, I was really hoping!

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
1.) The U.N. goes into the closet after it tries to pull off a Pandemic and fails. (09)

2.) The U.N. in denial now about the Alien Greeter. (10)

Doesn't seem like the U.N. is........................

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Someone at thge U.N. Shouted '@@#!#@$!' and they pulled the message due to overexposure in the media. Don't worry, there is a delegation from the U.N. set to make contact with alien life, there has been one for some time. It's just that those people in general have other positions in the U.N. and only'bare the title of ambassador. Generally speaking, those poeple don't take that extra job serieus unless an alien fleet hovers above their head only to figure out that maybe protocol wasn't that perfect anyway's.

All those things have long since been covered. However, like usual in politics, those things are honed more as cerimonial titles than as serious positions. There are two primary reasons; first one, there is no reason to stand by indefinitly for 40 years without anything happening. (heh, thou there are many people working for governments who get paid for just that)
Secondly; an international organisation with a delegation for aliens? They would lose credibility and be rediculed for it. They won't risc it since most 'up there' have an ego as large as my lifespan is long.

Do you really need cofirmation about the obvious? Does someone need to tell you it is day when the sun is shining?
There is no need to question wether there is such a delegacy, there is one but only in word. There is no need to tell until the time comes by. People here working for the US intelligence service will agree with me on this one.

Now go back investigating U.F.O.'s and alien contact, you are searching..but not hard enough yet. A littlebit harder, a littlebit further. You'll see that soon the light will shine upon your hard work.
(Thou I can hardly believe that it will be exactly THOSE idiots that will be mankinds first alien encounter)

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

your points are well taken

* juvenile snicker *

Sorry - couldn't resist!

On topic - I'm very surprised at the Sunday Times if this does prove to be a hoax. They are the TOP END of journalism, certainly more reputable than FOX in many ways. I'm not saying FOX are necessarily wrong on this one, but I find it ironic that any news of this being a hoax comes via them.

Someone dropped the ball - could this even be so low as a deliberate act of sabotage against the paper? An angle no--one has yet considered I believe. Perhaps they were getting on someone's nerves somehow... It seems quite extravagant for a vendetta, but I wonder if it's a case of killing more than one bird with one stone.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
If and when aliens come here, they are going to seek out specific people and places. I doubt they will show up here without a clue. They will be very certain as to whom they wish to speak with and why.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyInTheOintment

But it wouldn't be the first time The Times fell victim to a hoax.

The Hitler Diaries

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Don't tell me you guys believe all these mainstream media alien disclosure thing. It's not that I'm a skeptic or against it. There's a high possibility this may very well be project blue beam.

Even if a real alien contact is established soon, the aliens may not be as benevolent in reality. There may be hundreds of alien species out there. We cannot be certain which species are the true ones (angels of God) that guided Moses and other prophets. Sure the first alien contact may appear as good guys. But my bets are that they have sinister plans mainstream people never thought possible.

Among Muslim Ufologists, we know that Prophet Jesus (son of Mary) will descend via "wings of angels" at Damascus in Syria in the end of times.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnthejedi24
So this may either be a hoax or she got shut up by TPTB. Damnit, I was really hoping!

Johnthejedi24.....

The problem is more that people don't take the trouble to read such things properly.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybenot

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
This reminds me of Bush assigning Rice to be our National Security Adviser.
Who needs it.
Rice knew nothing of Osama and now look what happened.
Does she know how a ship can go 300 miles per second.
No.
So get lost Illuminati UN big wigs covering for technology
they know nothing about.
How many building can go down with earthquake technology.
Oh let me count the ways.
I don't think aliens or rebel Illuminati alien hoaxters will stop
to ask for any leaders before starting a new new york after
putting every building down first.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

The Daily Telegraph is actually the most serious of all newspapers in the UK; the paper of the establishment!

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Dammit, I sent my CV in for this job too.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Wow, the UN comes forward with a spokesperson per say, even tho I am sure the aliens will communicate with who they please. Survelliance satellite, oh my- seems like a lot going on all at once now - I think they now have solid proof and its just a matter of time before we all know! Would it be premature if I said I was excited?

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
A HOAX - I doubt it - a leak maybe!

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bellesgm

No return addresses on the envelopes or even one name? I am afraid I might have been doing a little more investigation myself. Wow, what did you think of that at the time?.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Here's another thing I noticed lately about the media. You guys know about that Christine O'Donnell chick who says she doesn't believe in evolution? It didn't dawn on me until today what is going on.

No one is saying anything about creation. A creationist doesn't believe in evolution. Not even Oreilly has defending creation. Haven't even heard the religous freaks on MSM defend creation.

All of MSM is making fun of this lady for believing in creation. That would never have happened 3 years ago. All the religious freaks would have stormed the media gates defending her.

I think the media knows guys. They are getting us ready for contact. They have been watering us down and softening us up for contact.

Even the pope is a progressive now.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Its about NEOs, Phage, that is all I need to know.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Matyas

Really? You sure about that?
But it doesn't really seem to fit with the theme of the conference. Did they tell her it was something other than this just to get her to show up?
royalsociety.org...

Sort of told her it was a costume party but no one else is going to dress up?

edit on 9/28/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
I think this is wonderful news! An intelligent strong female astrophysicist. What a great choice!

You know, reading the original article I noticed she is involved in space law as well.

She has been with this UNOOSA for over a decade.

This is definitely the new frontier.

What a wonderful role model for our little girls in a field dominated by men.

If only this were the case.

If people think that she will be running the show when the first ET turns up, they are seriously mistaken.

There will be more than enough advisors, agencies and people you've probably never heard of calling the shots and telling her what is going to happen.

Just like the president, does anyone really think Obama got into office and there wasn't a sit down chat to say, "OK, this is how it really is!"?

I fear this lady is just a face that the public would want to see dealing with our first contact. Kind of like that guy out of The Fly and Jurrassic Park...but a bit more mellow.

Carl Sagan would have been a good choice had he been alive.

CX.

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join