It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Aliens Defenceless?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
If aliens are from a civilization that is much older and more developed than ours then perhaps they have managed to organize themselves to such an extent that war and hostility no longer exists for them.

It could be that they haven't used weapons for thousands of years. Maybe they no longer have any weapons, period. I believe the more spiritually evolved a species gets, the less likely it will be reliant on arms to settle differences.

Maybe we have got the whole thing wrong... maybe aliens won't visit because they are scared of US...?

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
hmmm...interesting perspective...but im sure that with all the chance for randomness in the cosmos there are evil technologically advanced and equipped aliens...nomads like hawking says

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

Even Bhuddist monks learn Kung Fu.

edit on 13/9/2010 by Slippery Jim because: Typo

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I think ... if they are space faring aliens, then it could be likely they do have weapons. I'm sure that some have made the conclusion that all species they come in contact with will not be friendly. ( Like us!!) Then again..when it comes to observations of our planet and its inhabitants , they may just be totally indifferent to whatever they see...

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
if they were smart enough to travel through space and time, then i'm sure they wouldn't be dumb enough to believe they would never need weapons.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Even if (hypothetical) aliens did not have or use offensive weapons, it would stand to reason that they would still have the means to protect themselves.

Such protection would also be essential while traveling through the harsh environment of deep space (passing by a sun at close range, cosmic radiation, meteor showers, etc.).

With protection like that, how much damage could our conventional weapons do? Or even a nuke?

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Perhaps this is a more complex issue than we suspect at this point? Lets break it down.

The idea that we have better offensive technology than the alien is interesting. If as you posit, the alien has eschewed destructive technology, then thats perfectly possible. With nuclear weapons, EMP, directed energy weapons, depleted uranium, and a whole host of different ways to get MASSES of lead down range quicker, I would imagine any pacifist alien would think very carefuly before taking a trip to our little blue murderscape.
However, my problem with the suggestion that the alien would FEAR us , is multifaceted to say the least of it. First of all , to say that an alien is capable of fear, suggests far more than can be confirmed about the psychology of the visiting species. We cannot say that emotional stimulus is the same and common amongst all species on this earth, let alone in the cosmos. If the race is suffeciently advanced, it may have developed beyond fear , anger, sorrow, and all the other negativities which come with those emotions. It may even have developed a linked psyche, meaning that we could say even LESS with certainty about its mental conditioning. There are too many unknowns in this situation by a mile to make even the most tenuous supposition about the emotional fallout that our incredible firepower could engender.
Looking at this from another angle , a race of beings from at least one star away , which are capable of traveling the void between worlds and stars without being hamstrung by things like the speed of light, black holes, random encounters with comets, asteroid feilds, solar winds, dark matter and every kind of insane radiation that you can think of, has to be pretty capable of reacting to unforseen circumstances, and probably has technology which nullifies threats they may encounter. If you can nullify the effects of an asteroid belt or any of the destructive weirdness out there, then you can bet your rear end that it could nullify bullets and bombs of all kinds! Also there is the chance that such a pacifist species has other ways to prevent harm to itself. I would posit for instance that they might have a technology which powers down any threat producing technology in a certain radial distance from the craft... say the total size of the magnetosphere of the planet? If they have data mining capability, and the software to understand us, then they know the power of the gun also, but depending on what other tech they have aboard, they may be able to nullify those also. Perhaps by locking some directed energy device normaly used for space borne science, to vibrate all the weapons within effective range of the craft or personel, to the point where the ammo goes bang while still in the clip. They could have umpteen different ways to sheild themselves from close combat attacks also... I mean this is the problem friends, how can we formulate any opinion on what aliens are capable of in terms of defence, untill we know what they are capable of in terms of science?

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slippery Jim

Even Bhuddist monks learn Kung Fu.

A Buddhist monk is human.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Thanks for your post.

On earth, fear is intrinsically linked to survival. I don't see why it wouldn't be the same for other species throughout the universe. I would be truly amazed if they didn't feel fear. I would also be somewhat comforted, as I would view that as a vulnerability.

I suppose I am kind of contradicting my initial idea, though. Because if they do still feel fear it's almost certain they will arm themselves, no matter how peaceful they are.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Well in the spirit of compromise, I will contradict myself as well
Perhaps thier reaction to fear does not extend to the same ignorant all or nothing destruction that we partake of. Perhaps it merely drives them to build better passive defense systems into thier machines .

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I agree with your view. That would make sense to evolve and become intelligent enough to grow beyond wars. The thing I think that keeps them weaponized would be they would have extensive knowledge of regions that are hostile and they would have to defend themselves which would mean the weapons may be locked away but not forgotten, in my perspective.

edit on 9/13/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
If they're intelligent then they'll realize that there are other less intelligent than them.

Thus they would need weapons should the need arise.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Never claimed to be an alien or know one so I have to go off a human thought process. In a scenario, what if we knew Mars was inhabited with races that mimicked the Earths population, how would we make contact?

My opinions are just that, opinions, but I would think probes would be first then a probe type first contact or signal communication. I would try to figure out the population dynamics that would let me make a safe decision as to which race and area to make first contact without losing my resources or life.

If my probes were attacked or the communications received showed a tendency to violence then the first species to species contact would definitely have arms either openly apparent or at the "ready" hidden.

So its my opinion that UFO's would have some type self defense if they were here, besides weapons could be used for more than killing life such as destroying or moving objects and hazards and such.

There's a lot of Sci-Fi writers and believers that think a galactic war is ongoing and someone mentioned that on coast to coast (from another thread) that we were part of it. (yeah, right.) And then another group of writers claim that there is some kind of agreement not to interfere with the Earth. So it leaves me scratching my head that the Earth is "hands off" as they kill each other. Good Sci-Fi though.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
In my opinion, they are a bit scared of us but not defenseless. My own conception of aliens is that they are astral beings that can manifest and even achieve a degree of density on the material plane. They can exit as soon as danger presents itself.

Just like we could be in danger when getting close to astral beings (invocation, in magic), they too can be exposed to danger if they cannot get back to their sphere.

I know that in the UFO forum, people want to talk mostly about physical aliens and crafts. However , it is only a matter of time before it becomes generally accepted that 'aliens' have always co-existed with human, but are on a different vibration rate.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
If aliens are from a civilization that is much older and more developed than ours then perhaps they have managed to organize themselves to such an extent that war and hostility no longer exists for them.

I would highly doubt it. I would imagine they still have conflict - but why blow each other up when you can just go someplace else just as easily and with about the same amount of energy/time invested?

From a logical standpoint - using explosives here to remove problems is far more efficient than our methods of traveling away from the planet. With sufficient technology - it would be more time and energy than it was worth to fight over resources.

Although there may be some limited resources or things to fight over... or just principles. In either case - I doubt they are not strangers to war and conflict. There are no natural examples of anything that exists without it.

It could be that they haven't used weapons for thousands of years. Maybe they no longer have any weapons, period. I believe the more spiritually evolved a species gets, the less likely it will be reliant on arms to settle differences.

While I would like to agree - I again doubt it. Even if we were to 'evolve' to a point where we were like little drone worker-bees, there are other things that would certainly -not- be 'evolved' to the point of being the drones of a hive-mind (or other hive-minds that don't care much for ours) and present a threat.

However, I would imagine anything used to initiate 'FTL' would be fairly powerful... opening up a 'sub-space rift' (or whatever they use) on a planet's surface, on another ship, etc is probably sufficiently destructive to dispatch most threats. So - they may not develop weapons, per-se, but they probably have a way of using many of their various tools and devices in the capacity of a weapon.

Maybe we have got the whole thing wrong... maybe aliens won't visit because they are scared of US...?

I wouldn't rule it out. We went from being ignorant of the electron to smashing particles together at nearly the speed of light in about a hundred to a hundred and fifty years, depending upon when you start the clock of the 'modern' era.

Even if you subscribe to the opinion that the ancients had knowledge of highly advanced technological processes, I would have to wager that they didn't understand them so much as they stumbled upon them, or were shown and trained in them. When that was diluted and lost in our society - it was gone.

But everything we have now - we developed. We may not completely understand all of it - but we understand enough to be able to predict how things will behave and guide our efforts accordingly. We are a different animal than what we were a thousand years ago (although the unilateral changes that have occurred are certainly curious and an interesting concept of evolution/micro-evolution).

We -lost- a lot of our mysterious methods of building things. While we may not be able to replicate those methods today - I didn't see the ancients running around with vaccines and computers, either. We're on our own two legs and going strong (whether we were in the past, or not).

I don't think it's that we present a threat, now... but that we could adapt far more rapidly to them than they could to us. Whether they have hostile intentions or not - if we perceived them as a threat, we could potentially develop the technology to attack or defend against them far more rapidly than they could react to our own advancement.

Who knows how long these races have been around - our written documentation goes back only a few thousand years at the most. Dinosaurs existed millions of years ago, and there's nothing that would have prevented advanced species from developing anywhere along our planet's biological history. When you start factoring in other planets and the potential they hold (fewer mass extinctions, more competitive environments, etc) - a species that is a billion years old is not really all that far of a stretch (or a range of species evolved from a billion-year old common ancestor).

We may be accomplishing in a single generation what took them hundreds, maybe even thousands of generations to develop.

Just because they can fly through space doesn't really mean they are intellectually superior, or even technologically superior. Perhaps they have simply trial-and-errored their way to the technology they have today without nearly the focus we place on science and the ability to predict behavior.

I'm sure there are plenty on ATS that will insist they do know about aliens - but, really - we tend to hunger for answers far too much - to the point we will accept anything over mystery.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147

It could be that they haven't used weapons for thousands of years. Maybe they no longer have any weapons, period.

I'm sure they are very peaceful....NOT!!!!
Take a look a this thread here and find out about all of the "peaceful" practices the aliens were engaged in while terrorizing humans!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 13-9-2010 by ringht_n_wrong because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ringht_n_wrong

We're all familiar with threads like the one you described. We're all familiar with the debate raging about whether or not the grays are here to torture us or save us (and if they are in conflict with Raptor Jesus).

This is intended to discuss other potential alien species that aren't currently controlling everything from government leaders to the amount of cream in a twinkie - and we don't currently know everything about.

Or, so the OP seemed to imply. There is plenty of discussion regarding the facts about aliens. We're not dealing with facts in this thread - it's speculation.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
If they evolved beyond the need for weapons, it likely also means they evolved beyond them being effective against them.

For example, if you could simply think it, and stop an attacker (or his/her weapon) dead in his/her tracks, sure, you didn't use a weapon (per se), but still damn effective.

I think it safe to assume that if we are being visited, that they first took the time to observe us for a bit, and know what they are dealing with (heck, even we have enough sense to do that....)

Personally, such aliens would scare me far more than those still using weapons...(and they should scare you too)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by crowdedskies
I know that in the UFO forum, people want to talk mostly about physical aliens and crafts. However , it is only a matter of time before it becomes generally accepted that 'aliens' have always co-existed with human, but are on a different vibration rate.

It is categoricaly NOT a matter of time before it becomes accepted that aliens have always co-existed with us and I will tell you why . Its not likely to become a common opinion , because there is even less evidence to back that up, than there is for any of the other theories out there about aliens, apart of course from the Niburu BS crowd, who frankly have the lowest credibility in terms of provability.
The truth is that its only a matter of time before all the hippy alien cultists stupid themselves to a starvation death, leaving science to do its job in peace without all the theologians , religious nuts, and creeps who think meditation can help you contact aliens, getting in the godamned way.
I am so sick of the half baked psuedo religious , astral projecting dregs of humanity , stealing the property of scientific endevour. The search for alien life in this galaxy should be undertaken only by those whose minds are sharp, those who seek truth, not those who have found the light and are blinded by it. In short the question are we alone in the universe is not for deities and spiritualists to answer. They have NO place in an endevour of this importance, save perhaps for in the kitchen, making all the people who do real research some lunch.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Maybe the aliens don't have actual weaponry but can kill us with their mind bullets. I wouldn't doubt that they are so advanced that they can make us think/feel things and that could be their defense.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join