It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Riot police tackle missiles at English Defence League protest in Bradford

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Riot police tackle missiles at English Defence League protest in Bradford

www.tel egraph.co.uk

Violence broke out shortly before 2pm as chanting EDL supporters began throwing missiles towards Asian youngsters and anti-fascist activists who had been taunting them with shouts of "Nazi scum off our streets."

The EDL had been banned from holding a march through the city, which has a large Muslim community.

Police reinforcements were called in as EDL activists threatened to break through a thin line of officers.

Riot police managed to force the 1,000 strong crowd of right-wing demo
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/52ae71d7e26f.jpg[/atsimg]

I haven't been following the EDL activities in England any closer, and in these recent months it has been rather quiet about them here on ATS - but it seems that things are heating up a bit again with this latest demonstration in Bradford West Yorkshire, apparently.

I have a question to our friends from England though!

In this article we can read that they call EDL a right-wing group.

Would that be correct, or is it just the usual BS and spin from the MSM.

I remember when I was a few times in England in the early 1980's but then it was usually the right-wing National Front and skins out on the streets against the people from Pakistan.

Please don't get me wrong here, I know that there are now even black and jewish people and other immigrants supporting the EDL - but I wonder if there is some faction inside of EDL which is more extreme - like some people from the old National Front?

This is an honest question from a someone that lives in Scandinavia and don't know much about the EDL.

www.tel egraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-8-2010 by Chevalerous]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

The EDL have quite a few Black and Asian members.

www.englishdefenceleague.org...

The EDL is an anti-Islamic extremists group who protest against the activities of Muslim extremists in England.

At previous marches UAF have instigated violence against EDL.
However, with PC dominated media have always portrayed the EDL as the aggressors which is a blatant and outright law.

I know quite a few people who are there today and am trying to contact them.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
As far as I can make out a group of UAF broke through a police cordon and tried to attack EDL who retaliated.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
First of all, it's Bradford, not Bedford

Good luck figuring out if they're actually fascist/racist/nazis or not, certainly some of them are but a lot are adamant that they're not..

Personally I think the BNP lost credibility so they started a new group to take the baton. The BNP go on about how they think the EDL were set up by zionists with an agenda, this may be true but the same could be said of the BNP, the National Front and Combat 18. All full of brainwashed idiots wasting their energy on hate when they could be doing something constructive.

It's nice to see the police actually dealing with them this time, instead of letting them rampage all over a mosque!

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Thanks for posting Freeborn!

You said that The EDL is more or less an anti-Islamic extremists group!

Got it! - but would you characterise them as being right-wing like the article said? or are they just protesting against the influence and the precence of extreme Islamists with their sharia Laws and all that in their society - as the most important single issue for their protest?

Like a protest group against the Islamic extemists - nothing more, nothing less?

Have I understood that correctly?

[edit on 28-8-2010 by Chevalerous]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by March of the Fire Ants

Good luck figuring out if they're actually fascist/racist/nazis or not, certainly some of them are but a lot are adamant that they're not..

Personally I think the BNP lost credibility so they started a new group to take the baton. The BNP go on about how they think the EDL were set up by zionists with an agenda, this may be true but the same could be said of the BNP, the National Front and Combat 18. All full of brainwashed idiots wasting their energy on hate when they could be doing something constructive.

It's nice to see the police actually dealing with them this time, instead of letting them rampage all over a mosque!

All full of brainwashed idiots wasting their energy on hate when they could be doing something constructive.

The BNP go on about how they think the EDL were set up by zionists with an agenda, this may be true

You know that sounds just stupid what you just said right?
You sound like an Islamic apologist

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
MOre info now -

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Even if the EDL themselves claim not to be nazi like,and just concerned with islamic extremists,you can be sure that there are a good few football hooligan type folks who tag along purely because they want a riot.

Which is the same as UAF I think.

Bradford has a massive muslim population,and the EDL could be said to be attempting to provoke a response by marching there IMO.

They know there were some bad ethnic riots there a way back,and kmow if they march they will probably end up starting something.

The Bradford Riots were a short but intense period of rioting which began on 7 July 2001, in Bradford, West Yorkshire, England. It occurred as a result of heightened tension between the large and growing ethnic minority communities and the city's white majority, stoked by confrontation between the Anti-Nazi League and far right groups such as the National Front.[1][2] Similar race riots had occurred earlier in May in Oldham and in June in Burnley other parts of northern England.[3]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Aristophrenia

The cops have it contained they say:

Supporters of the far-right EDL threw bottles, cans and stones over a barrier towards opponents gathered opposite the Urban Gardens.
A smoke bomb launched over a temporary 8ft-high wall between the two groups landed on the ground and exploded near uniformed police officers.
A skirmish also broke out between EDL supporters and riot police.
Mounted police had pushed people away from the Urban Gardens down Market Street.
Officers had also forced EDL members away from the barrier into the gardens centre. But dozens of EDL members climbed over a police barricade and made their way into a neighbouring waste ground, where they began throwing missiles at the police.
They were quickly apprehended by officers.
A West Yorkshire police spokesman said: "Missiles have been thrown in the area around the Bradford Urban Gardens; however, this has been contained and the police are utilising their resources to manage the current situation."

www.guardian.co.uk...

Not any mention of violence by anyone other than the EDL in that article,would be good to hear from someone whos in the area to report what they are seeing.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Islamic apologist? LOL well I don't really like to put labels like that on myself, it's hardly my place to apologise for Islam is it?

What exactly sounded stupid, did I contradict myself?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Islamic apologist? LOL well I don't really like to put labels like that on myself, it's hardly my place to apologise for Islam is it?

What exactly sounded stupid, did I contradict myself?

Conservatives call people who defend Islam, apologist; because they believe them to be weak. Seems a lot of conservatives want to start the crusades with Muslims. Just a matter of time.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Oops! sorry!

Thanks mate! fixed it!

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

The simple answer is yes, they are a far right wing group born out of strong emotions surrounding immigration and Islam. Have a look at the Wikipedia entry for some background information.

There are strong connections between the EDL and the BNP (British National Party). If Glenn Beck were having his rally in the UK, he would be in Bradford today!

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chevalerous
I haven't been following the EDL activities in England any closer, and in these recent months it has been rather quiet about them here - but it seems that things are heating up a bit again with this latest demonstration in Bradford West Yorkshire, apparently.

I have a question to our friends from England though!

In this article we can read that they call EDL a right-wing group.

Would that be correct, or is it just the usual BS and spin from the MSM.

The 'Best' of the EDL are people who feel disenfranchised with the government and disempowered, but blame the 'Alien'. Then you have the brainless football hooligan who just wants to cause a fight.

The worst of the EDL are skinheads, who hate anyone who is not 'like them'. National Front, BNP people.

Originally posted by Chevalerous

Please don't get me wrong here, I know that there are now even black and jewish people and other immigrants supporting the EDL

Intimidated appeasers who hope the EDL do not target them for being seen as 'different' by the EDL, simple as that. So they do anything to 'fit in' and show the EDL they conform to the hatefest. Survival instinct. They see the fascists as having a new group of people to hate, so they try to distance themselves from the targeted group and portray what good 'patriotic people' they are to the EDL by joining in the hate.

Reminds me of this:

First they came...

From the Link:

"First they came ..." is a famous statement attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) about the inactivity of German intellectuals following the Nazi rise to power and the purging of their chosen targets, group after group. The text of the quotation is usually presented roughly as follows:

They came first for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up.

Link

[edit on 28-8-2010 by Regensturm]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Islam owns us from the very first rejection of Tesla's anti
oil agenda.

Sorry but its all true.
You dislike hearing it and can't do anything about it.

ED: Islam is part of the Illuminati now and they will
have their way with the governments of England and
US under the protection of their laws.

[edit on 8/28/2010 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove & Regensturm

Thanks for the information guys!

Peaceful protesting is all good and well! let us just hope the most extreme guys on both sides don't start killing each other.

I mean, the rabid anti-fascist groups are no angels themselves, these things can easily escalate to something much worse than regular street-fights if the hatred from both sides gets out of control.

In some wierd way I actually think these EDL guys could be needed as a protest movement to balance things out a bit in today's politically correct society - to keep some pressure on the politicians and focus on the cocky Islamist extremists as well.

If they can keep their protest movement under control and without organised violence that is.

But I would probably not support them if they would be hostile towards ALL Muslims and incite hatred & violence even against the more moderates.

But hey! that's just me!

Thanks guys!

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

If your interested in finding out more about them why go to their forums and talk to them?

EDL Forums

There are loads of video's of demonstrations knocking around, however they are not always as accurate as they first seem. They often show UAF or C18 members who have infiltrated the EDL side at some of these demonstrations with the intent of doing something that will show the EDL in a negative light.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Heres a pic of todays activities-EDL Vs Cops:

uk.reuters.com...=1

Mighty fine young chaps with a valid point-or a baying mob of chav hooligans?

You decide.

[edit on 28/8/2010 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

You know.... they say say a picture can depict a thousand words (i think).

But remember a picture is just that.

How do we know what's really happening? Not condoning any sort of racist, facsist or hooliganist behaviour.

Sometimes, a reminder of the old phrase 'never judge a book by it's cover' should be considered.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join