It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STATS! Alarming Rise In Global Natural Disasters!! 2010 IS The Year Of Floods

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Natural Disasters. Are They Increasing?

You don’t have to be a meteorologist, seismologist, or any other ologist to see that the frequency and intensity of natural disasters and extreme weather events seems to have significantly increased over the last few decades. Massive flooding from extreme precipitation; raging wildfires from prolonged droughts; monster hurricanes or super tsunamis or giant earthquakes all seem to have become much more common headlines over this time period.

SOURCE

Staff Edit: Trimmed external content, added external source tags, and included source link.

Do not plagiarize the work of others and pass it off as your own. Take a moment to review the following links:

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.
Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread – Please Review Link

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sites, please post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, and your opinion on the information as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

2010 Floods so far: (sorry if I missed any)

Poland

Tennessee

Brazil

Madeira Islands

France

Saskatchewan-Maple Creek

Saskatchewan-Yorkton

Saskatchewan-Saskatoon

Romania & Ukraine

China

Hungary

Peru

Mexico

Spain

Columbia

Australia

Russia

Indonesia

Cuba

Serbia

Argentina

Kenya

Nigeria

Singapore

Guatemala

[edit on 5-7-2010 by discl0sur3]

[edit on 7/5/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I totally agree. I didn't even see Alberta on there. It had some flooding too down south. And we can't forget a category F3 tornado that went thru near Raymore Saskatchewan 2 days ago. Rare. Wicked thunder and lightning like nothing I've ever seen. Rained more that Vancouver, that's a lot of rain.

I am more northeast of there, but it rains for 3 days, and then its sunny for a day, and rainy again for days. A couple of weeks ago I had my wood stove on in the basement trying to dry it out. The sump pumps are on every 2 hours
Grain shortages coming, 36 percent of crops didn't get planted here because of flooded fields.

There is another storm coming right now, there was one earlier today, power outage, lose my satellite every time. Probably losing it soon again

[edit on 5-7-2010 by snowspirit]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
ive had the same feeling for a few years now. its great to see some stats on it. S&F

link   
ive had the same feeling for a few years now. its great to see some stats on it. S&F

link   

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Hmm I'm a believer that the reporting and awareness of natural disasters is giving the impression of an increase but at the same time it does seem that long-term, we most definitely do have an increase.

I hadn't stop to think of all the floods that have taken place this year, so thanks for that great list

There were a couple of articles claiming they where on the rise I just cant seem to find them again. Here's one; Natural disasters have quadrupled in two decades: study

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
This could be true because of the methane levels.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I've always thought I was just being paranoid about more natural disasters and etc around the world... I agree, it is great to see actual numbers that solidify my feeling that the weather has gone a little crazy. Let's see what happens next!

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
The weathermen have told us (NW UK) that we're in for a drought this year..

But plenty of places got washed away in the UK last year and the winter was rather snowy...

[edit on 5/7/2010 by UKWO1Phot]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Thanks OP for this information.

I do feel though, that there is much more investigation needed regarding -

1/ Population difference

2/ Location of where people are living compared to in the past?

3/ Are humans affecting rivers/water flow etc by building everywhere, ie - restricting rivers so that they tend to flood easier and providing no escape for water due to concrete everywhere, so water is channeled into one place quickly

These are just a few off the top of my head. It's very similar to when people say there are more "Destructive Earthquakes" than in the past, when really the Technology is better for reporting them and there a loads more people living in shoddy buildings in Earthquake prone areas.

It would be interesting to see things as a whole.

G.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
i had noticed that there were a ton of floods goin down this year.. nashville, arkansas, china, etc.. its good to see you did as well S and F and thanksfor the stats and opening up others eyes to this. good work.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by discl0sur3

Agreed, Its all caused by Man Made Global Warming..

We need a Carbon Tax now !!!

Signed, Al Gore....

Thats what they will be telling us soon..
Its all OUR fault and WE will pay for it....

Personally, I think something else is happening nthat we have zero control over..

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I live in Serbia and we had never before seen rise in floods. Few years ago Danube had a massive rise because of snow melting in Carpathians.
Last year we had a Monsoon-like rain which also made unseen floods and killed several people (it's totally uncommon to die because of freaking rain here).

People including elders agree that weather has dramatically changed in past few years. They've experienced river floods and rain falls like never before.

However I don't brag about it because I see the same thing all over the world and we're relatively safe here in mountainous areas and hillsides so can't complain too much.

I think everyone should contribute to this thread and put new videos from their countries! It is extremely obvious that we have most sever weather changes lately.

Cheers, S&F.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by discl0sur3

I'll definitely agree there seems an upward trend in flooding in the US, it might be interesting to consider what is being done with prevention-funding etc though, as this may be a valid factor.

It seems from that website that the article only focuses on the US though and not the rest of the world, at the end of the article, it poses 3 questions as to whether flooding is increasing globally, yet doesn't answer them - it also refers to them as "Stories" which makes me quite dubious, I'd be much more content if they presented facts as in the main graph in the article.

Also - and this isn't a major criticism, you present a whole slew of youtube clips, which is pretty cool, but they're from around the world, which actually seems to conflict with the article that you're citing.

Cheers though, some interesting food for thought.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by UKWO1Phot

But plenty of places got washed away in the UK last year and the winter was rather snowy...

My grass has gone brown in Birmingham - have had very little rain for weeks

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
This is what happens when the planet heats up. More and more violent weather episodes. It's not surprising to me at all. Very sad, and scary but not surprising.
KE

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Yes. It seems to me there are two things going on:

1) More floods, and other natural disasters.

2) More media coverage of said disasters.

Working on the knowledge that the MSM is a propaganda mouthpiece for The Evil Powers That Are In Their Death Throws, they want us to be fully aware of these disasters - part of the strategy of keeping people stressed and fearful? Which in turn is an attempt to subvert the rising consciousness of mankind? Make people more scattered through our psyches being hit with so many things, and thus making them more malleable to accepting their abonimable new totalitarian measures.

Other pay-offs for these animals:

it promotes their false propaganda that there is global warming.

they kill off more people through their engineered disasters,

they rake in more money through the relief work (either through giving the contract to their 'buddies' and/or diverting the funds), thus stealing more and more of each country's national funds.

thus, they undermine national economies

they use the excuse to further their totalitarian measures in law

they make sure, via the floods, that lots of that alumium and barium and other toxic poisons which are being sprayed into the air, flood into our water reservoirs through the rain and through the waterlogged, sprayed land.

To name but a few. May they soon rot in hell.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
ps. Thank you so much for going to the trouble of putting all those videos together. Seeing them one after the other really does hit home.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by spolvil

Originally posted by UKWO1Phot

My grass has gone brown in Birmingham - have had very little rain for weeks

Have to agree with you there mate, very dry around these parts, although the weeds in my back yard are loving it!!

I have to say that the floods we've been having in the UK over the past few years are mainly due to a mixture of villages and towns being build on flood plains, poor maintenance of drainage or antiquated drainage systems, poor flood controls/barriers and a virtual lack of river dredging, allowing silt build up on the river beds, therefore, causing the rivers to become shallower and so, flood more. In other words, it's the government being tight on funds, as usual
. I'm in West Brom though, so we're pretty high up here and only have piddly rivers, so unless we get attacked by a rogue canal, we should be fine

I will admit to have noticed an overall increase in Global floodings of devestating magnitude to which I have been a little suspicious of though.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by nik1halo]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Hi guys! I'm romanian but I'm not living now in Romania, I talked yesterday with my parents from Romania about the weather. They told me that they had and still have bad weather, very cold in the morning and evening, alternate good sunny weather with black stormy clouds.
Few days ago I heard that the Danube reached the highest level of water in his history records in Galati ( because that city it's situated at confluence of three rivers which collect the waters from north-east of Romania, the zone from the video's OP) , I must tell that I spent 4 years at high school in Galati 23 years ago and I'd never seen the water increased like now, can you see in link provided.
Frequently the bad weather is accompanied by unusual hail, see the link.
The people have strong feeling that the weather changed.
Peace
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join