It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea puts military on combat readiness

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

North Korea puts military on combat readiness

www.reuters.com

North Korean leader Kim Jong-il has ordered his military to be on a combat footing, South Korea's Yonhap news agency said on Tuesday.

It quoted a local group of North Korea watchers as saying their sources there had told them Kim's command had been broadcast by a top military official.

Tensions have risen sharply on the peninsula after the South inmposed sanctions on its neighbour, which it accuses of sinking a naval ship in March, killing 46 sailors.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Short article, probably not much yet from Yonhap or other S.Korean sources, as it's still early morning on Tuesday in Korea.

It's definitely a sign of escalation, but how far will they go.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

Aww dang it, ya beat me.... also got this into a couple of threads.... good to see the story... thanks

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
DOOMCON 1 PEOPLE.

DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT.

IS THIS IT?

The day is starting in Korea... OH BOY.

Hopefully it's just posturing.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
What's really scare about this, in my opinion, is that North Korea wouldn't do any of this without the approval of China. Although its not much talked about in the media or anywhere I don't see how Pyongyang could act the way it does without being a puppet of larger more powerful state.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Yep.

WE NEED INFORMATION ON CHINESE TROOP MOVEMENTS/ARMS FLOWS...

We need more info...

If only ATS had a U-2 spyplane...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Doomcon1....
Oh wait let's see here, wait what page was that on, I can't freakin remember what to do to set Doomcon1... oh thats right, here it is, bend over and kiss............

Seriously though, i'm guessing this ain't going away this time...

[edit on 24-5-2010 by freetree64]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
LOL. My question is this: When ARENT these cats on "combat readiness" status? All i hear in the media every other month is about how they will wipe out SK and the US. Im like whatever......

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

They were on starvation readiness, and have to be officially transferred to combat readiness....

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
The North Koreans have the right to defend themselves! Obama needs to be impeached. This is like the Gulf of Tonkin, cannot repeat the same mistake.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

Nice one. Starvation readiness.

Well for one, the SK currency is dropping like a rock and the SK stock market is down 3.2% so far because investors fear a war.

So even if NK doesn't start a war, they can destroy the SK enemy by just putting it's troops on alert like that...

UPDATE : Now Japan, who is hated by North Korea and a bunch of South Koreans... want to impose sanctions on the North... this will surely push the North to do statements like ``we will destroy those dirty Japanese who are working for the evil imperialists americans if they dare impose those sanctions``... or something similar coming from a 1950 Soviet ``How to do propaganda for newbies`` book...

[edit on 24-5-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

No doubt, and thanks, maybe it's SK nuclear economic devastation they are after.... Some schools think old kim is incapacitated, and Young kim has the helm....

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT.

No, North Korea is not part of the future of this planet. If there is a war it will be over within a week and a half. They are 50 years behind. Iraq will have looked modern in comparison. The only troops we'll put on the ground are those which are already stationed along the DMZ. It'll be a naval and air war which will be quickly over. China will be all too happy to sit by and watch the United States expend another trillion of its dollars.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I tried to find a webcam of the DMZ a few minutes ago and just got a series of error messages when I tried to load a couple.

Anyone know where we can find a working one?

+7 more 
posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

Since the day that ship "disappeared" I knew something strange was going on.

Then the reports of "shooting at birds" for minutes (as if birds are a target you need to fire minute's worth of ammo at) came in, and all the confusion and conflicting stories.

I dunno if I even buy the torpedo story right now.

This whole thing smells odd.

Why was the boat fired on? Why did the whole thing start in the first place? What began the gun fire and torpedoing? Those are questioned unanswered and not even addressed in the media reporting the growing tension, while we are supposed to not question motives or circumstances and just float along with the vague reports.

It seems there are so many things happening these days where the media never gets down to the "why or how".

How or why did that oil rig explode?

How or why are there so many coal mines exploding recently?

How or why did the stock market collapse for an hour and then stand up again?

How or why did a fight begin between two ships that resulted in releasing a torpedo?

I dunno...sounds crazy. But maybe I am crazy.

Another thing that bothers me, is the apathetic stance I am often confronted with when I talk to many people about my concerns.

The stance is always something like-

"This happens all the time"...or, "dude it doesn't matter it's no big deal", or "your a doom-sayer stop looking too deep into everything".

Things seem pretty weird right now, and I do not feel overly comfortable with pretending this is "business as usual" or "regular happenings".

But that's just me.

I think this will begin a lot of violence and take us one step closer to a place we can never return from.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Thats the great thing about stocks and currencies. They ebb and flow with the news so NK blabbing only devalues things in the extremem short term like only days possibly (unless there is actual military follow-thru by the North lol). So NO, This wont "destroy" the SK economy.

Originally posted by Vitchilo
reply to post by freetree64

Nice one. Starvation readiness.

Well for one, the SK currency is dropping like a rock and the SK stock market is down 3.2% so far because investors fear a war.

So even if NK doesn't start a war, they can destroy the SK enemy by just putting it's troops on alert like that...

UPDATE : Now Japan, who is hated by North Korea and a bunch of South Koreans... want to impose sanctions on the North... this will surely push the North to do statements like ``we will destroy those dirty Japanese who are working for the evil imperialists americans if they dare impose those sanctions``... or something similar coming from a 1950 Soviet ``How to do propaganda for newbies`` book...

[edit on 24-5-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CUin2013?

Here ya go traffic cams in Seoul, best I could do for now...

www.seoul.npa.go.kr...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Foggy in Seoul today, but lot's of great video traffic cams, good viewer if the Shtf...

www.seoul.npa.go.kr...(Br)~Banghwa(Br)&dir1=To Gimpo&dir2=To Misa-ri

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
why are you after web cams on seoul???

just pondering

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Calm down people.

NK isn't going to do anything.

Little Kim knows he can't win a ground, air, sea war with any nation that it currently opposes.

He's going to huff and puff and then do nothing, as he always does.

SK will do the same thing because they know that the worst case scenario if they start anything is NK will bomb them.

By bomb them I mean with their Artilery Cannons they have pointed at Seoul that could level the city in a days time.

It's deadlocked and will be that way for a while.

Besides, the US and SK aren't going to go up against China, and we all know China doesn't want anybody to touch it's precious NK.

~Keeper

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join