It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone watching the BP spill feed- confirm?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by toepick

just wanted to comment on comparing this to the 10 worst spills...I'm not sure if that thing has topped the number one spot yet, but I highly doubt that the estimates they are making are accurate, i just don't remember any of the previous oil spills making such a huge slick on top of the water (and thats just what we can see, not what we can't). From 5000 feet down, how much of that oil and whatever else is getting spread out and/or hanging around at different levels before completely coming to the surface?

This isn't a spill. This is an out of control high pressure geyser. Instead of a little tanker spilling a finite amount of oil. This thing has an unknown amount of oil.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
It's moving again checking gauges and stuff. Interesting ...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by grizzard83
I'm thinking this spill is closer to 120 million gallons then 45 million gallons putting it up there toward the worst spill ever and its only been leaking for a month. I can discharge or load close to 100,000 barrels a day at 50-100 psi that's 4.2 million gallons a day. This well is pushing more pressure through a bigger pipeline. 5000 barrels is bul# BP knows it too, any one of their refineries can load or discharge that much product in an hour at 50-100psi through a 12inch pipeline. Do not listen to BP, quite fighting about barrel figures. I move this # for a living as do 1000's of other tanker-men out there. This well even if its only pushing 50-100psi over the pressure it needs to overcome water pressure has to be leaking a tleast 100,000 barrels in a 24hour period.

[edit on 24-5-2010 by grizzard83]

I just have to tell you this:

Same Pocket of Gas Rich Oil tapped and containment lost in 1997 ... same company doing the drilling!

www.usatoday.com... oday-MostViewedArticles+%28USATODAY.com%3A+Most+Popular%29

More:
en.wikipedia.org...

It was/is the same company and if you listen to 60 minutes it sounds almost like they did it on purpose!! ... Really!!

More:

The deposit is one I have known about since 1988. The deposit is very big. The central pressure in the deposit is 165 to 170 thousand PSI. It contains so much hydrocarbon that you simply cannot imagine it. In published reports, BP estimated a blow out could reach near 200,000 Barrels per day (165,000) They may have estimated a flow rate on a 5 foot pipe. The deposit is well able to surpass this.
--emphasis mine.
seminal.firedoglake.com...

Cavalier Cowboy attitude, Money soaked apathy toward serious responsibility, and greed + a little need ... = BIG PROBLEM!

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I lost all feeds for a while too. A few minutes ago they panned around to look at the tank gauges. Most of them were empty..I wonder if it's time to change the er.. cant remember what its called.." tank with the stuff that breaks up the oil." LOL

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Possibly. They looked a lot like normal pressure gauges, though. I wonder what they were for.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

Originally posted by seasoul
Enough is enough. We need a GREEN REVOLUTION, NOW. It can be peaceful or it can be violent, but it needs to be.

All incompetent, unresponsive, apathetic, self-serving clowns within both the Obama administration and the petrochemical companies need to be 86’ed, one way or the other. It’s time for them to either freely step aside or get justifiably kicked to the curb.

Unless your willing to give up your car, heating and powering your house, riding on trains, buses, planes and any form of public transportation, and become totally self sufficient for food (so it doesn't get trucked from outside communities), you shouldn't be preaching about a green revolution.

Ever heard of a gentleman by the name of Nikola Tesla?
en.wikipedia.org...

You’ll find that the U.S. government and petrochemical companies have been instrumental in suppressing Tesla’s inventions. These are inventions that would have given humanity unlimited clean free energy, over a hundred years ago.

BTW, my fossil fuel footprint is approximately equivalent to that of a Shaolin monk.

Just wondering, can you feel this bird's pain?

[edit on 25-5-2010 by seasoul]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Okay, maybe it's just me, but, I really don't get the impression that the pressure is that tremendous by looking at the video feed. What I AM seeing is the oil coming out and immediately rising out of the end of the pipe. There doesn't seem to be any lateral travel of the oil as I expected to see by what I was hearing before seeing it. I agree that there is still alot of oil moving, I just expected to see a "Gusher" under water.

Some of the gushers that they had back in the early 1900s would blast up to 200 feet into the air. For months. That kind of pressure turned sideways underwater should at least show SOME lateral travel before slowing and floating upward.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by wirefly
Okay, maybe it's just me, but, I really don't get the impression that the pressure is that tremendous by looking at the video feed. What I AM seeing is the oil coming out and immediately rising out of the end of the pipe. There doesn't seem to be any lateral travel of the oil as I expected to see by what I was hearing before seeing it. I agree that there is still alot of oil moving, I just expected to see a "Gusher" under water.

Some of the gushers that they had back in the early 1900s would blast up to 200 feet into the air. For months. That kind of pressure turned sideways underwater should at least show SOME lateral travel before slowing and floating upward.

I agree. The pressure itself doesn't look like it's really that much. The pipe doesn't look that big, either. Judging by the scale of items around it, that is. But there is enough pressure to keep the water 5000ft down from back flowing down the pipe. And the pressure at that depth is pretty heavy.

Who am I kidding. I'm out of my league on this one. Lol.

reply to post by seasoul

That bird looks really mad, doesn't it?

That image breaks my heart. It really does. This whole thing is unacceptable.

QUICK EDIT: I just saw an Eel! Swimming near the pipe! At 5000FT! Some sea life near the leak is still alive! Rock on!

[edit on 25-5-2010 by The Theorist]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by The Theorist

I would like to know exactly how big that pipe is. We really have no good frame of reference.

i wish they would pull back on the cam to get a broader view of the area. that might help and also let us know what the plume looks like on it's way up.

About that eel. I used to catch them when fishing for catfish. They are Very hard to kill and their skin can't absorb a lot.. tough as nails.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Very true. It is very hard to get a good idea except from what we're *allowed* to see. That being said, I get the distinct impression this is one of their main eyes down there. I've been watching it closely on one of my monitors for hours now and it's constantly moving around. It's also very dark down there and their flood lighting has it's limitations.

And Eels scare me. I didn't know they were that tough. I for one bow to our new Eel overlords.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
you know.. I have watching this thing too since I firsr saw this post back on page 1 ( whatever time that was) and I have yet to find out exactly what i'm looking at.. I know it's a pipe that was part of a well for oil drilling.. But.. exactly what part is it? How was it connected? Where did the damage occur?

I'd like to see either animated or scale mock up of this rig, these parts and what happened to it all.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   

I agree with you. I know the big pipe is the well and that the black arm extending down is that siphon thing they're using to reduce the oil flow. Least I think that's what it is. I think some of the other stuff may be debris from the rig itself or from some of the fail attempts to solve it.

I wish the video was HD720 or better. Figures that we get the low-quality crap per usual. I saw another Eel by the way.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Er.. help I'm, going Nuts.. I just saw the oil get real billowy - cloudy all over the place.. and I swear I saw a man in a wet suit in the oil cloud.

It was just an illusion I am sure but man it freaked me out!

So what did cause the oil just now to get all cloudy then suddenly calm back down?

It covered almost the whole screen.. anyone else see that?

[edit on 25-5-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Yeah, I watched that to. Seems to happen every once in a while. Almost like the oil drifts as it leaves the pipe. Could also be attributed to be a crappy camera in horrible lighting conditions?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by The Theorist

I agree. The pressure itself doesn't look like it's really that much. The pipe doesn't look that big, either. Judging by the scale of items around it, that is. But there is enough pressure to keep the water 5000ft down from back flowing down the pipe. And the pressure at that depth is pretty heavy.

5000 ft of water equals 2,166 PSI of pressure. The atmosphere of earth is around 14.7 PSI at sea level for a comparison.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Doctor Smith

Interesting. Thanks for the technical information! I didn't know that. =)

...On another note, I just saw that damn Eel again. What is it with this Eel and that pipe?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Camera is moving around checking stuff out. Had a good panoramic shot! Getting some good footage now! And I saw the Eel again.

I hereby declare that the official name of this Eel is "MR SQUIGGLY"!

I am in the ATS chat-room if anybody wants to chat bout this camera.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Sorry - had to remove image and post due to a belated attack of logic. I thought I saw what appeared to be a head and torso in a screenshot I took earlier when the ROV was moving. I just discovered that the leaking pipe is 20 inches in diameter, and of course, given the size of what I thought I saw, it cannot possibly be body parts. My apologies for not checking more thoroughly before I posted.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by tangotemper]

[edit on 25-5-2010 by tangotemper]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Checking in on this story this AM, the blog that started all this has a series of screen captures up that shows one (of the?) significant increases in oil coming out of the ??
(pipe, ground, whatever) At least one of the "exhausts" is not the riser or the BOP as there are 2 "geysers" coming up from the seabed (if there is a pipe under there, I couldn't see it)- one is light colored, the other is very dark/ black.
I won't speculate on what's going on since I have no clue.

The dialogue at the gcaptain forum is very unsatisfactory to me (would it be "better" if I said "unsettling"?) & coming from those posters, made me nervous. Seemed like I could hear a tune being whistled very softly & the lights dimmed just a bit, but it could have just been me.

We'll see if we get put off "one more day" and if not, I guess we'll know SOMEthing soon enough.

Monkeyfister blog (screen captures showing increase)

monkeyfister.blogspot.com...

Gcaptain forum conversation re this incident

gcaptain.com...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Re: Deepwater Horizon - Transocean Oil Rig Fire
You will find the data available on the US EnergyCommerce .... site usefull in clarifying a lot of the operations that were conducted on the Deepwater Horizon for the 20th April.
energycommerce.house.gov...&Itemid=73

Someone named Alf posted some data this morning and asked some very poignant questions, below.
This is not looking good At. All.

There is a copy of bp Houston's outline plan to the rig dated 10:43am 20th April.
energycommerce.house.gov...

There is a copy of Transocean's Daily report (from midnight until 3pm) for the 20th April.

There is a copy of the Halliburton Mud Loggers monitoring chart (from 20:00 until 21:59) 20th April.

What's not readily available is data between 3pm and 8pm. However, gine the operations they were conducting at 3pm and then at 8pm, it is not difficult to come up with a set of plausible opertions for this period.
(I have produced a timeline for the 20th if anyone would like to have a copy).

Nor is there any data on what decisions were made (or who made them), during the inflow/negative testing and the decision to open up the well and carry on displacing to sea water.

The data depicts a sad story. I let you draw your own conclusions.

One point of note is that at 8pm the well was still contained and under control. From that point onwards it spiralled out of control.

I am a consultant Drilling Supervisor (or Company Man depending upon which terminology you use). Coincidently, I joined the industry and worked for bp for almost 21 years (approx 1/3 in Drilling Engineering and 2/3 as Drilling Supervisor). The last 10-11 years I have been an independant consultant.

The main questions that need to be focused on....

gcaptain.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join