It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona gov. signs bill targeting ethnic studies

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Arizona gov. signs bill targeting ethnic studies

news.yahoo.com

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer has signed a bill targeting a school district's ethnic studies program, hours after a report by United Nations human rights experts condemned the measure.

he believes the Tucson school district's Mexican-American studies program teaches Latino students that they are oppressed by white people.

The Tucson Unified School District program offers specialized courses in African-American, Mexican-American and Native-American studies that focus on history and literature and
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

The measure doesn't prohibit classes that teach about the history of a particular ethnic group, as long as the course is open to all students and doesn't promote ethnic solidarity or resentment.

So open to interpretation isn't?
So if the class teaches fact like America's involvement in Nicaragua then it would teach the class that they are oppressed by white people, who wants to bet I am correct?

What is going on in AZ? I believe they are trying to stir the pot to stimulate a race war, and i'm very serious about that.

I don't think anything of the or the other recent AZ bill has anything to do with immigration of ethnic chauvinism.

This is about divide and conquer!

news.yahoo.com

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I think this governor is addicted to attention.

It wouldn't suprise me if she tries for a 2012 bid for Presidency...I think she believes she can win on the anti-immigration (anti-Hispanic) platform.

Hey...Bush did it...people are stupid enough to vote based off of this crap.

Maybe next she will remove MLK day holiday like it used to be in Arizona.

I really hope Arizona is digging their own grave...this will just cause more protests, more boycotts, and less tourism to that state. I know I won't visit there again to give them my money.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Your wrong. Its not about white people its about the elite power rulers, I am white and I get shat on by the police and everyone else with power, Idiots to stop complaining about race.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Well if you're right than you have a point. They should teach about the US involvement in South America as well as the incursions into Laos and the other misdeeds, mostly carried out by the CIA.

They should also teach about the Tuskegee experiment where they gave black men veneral disease and about the KKK. They should also teach about the violence perpetrated by the Black Panthers.

They should teach US history with all of the good and bad absent opinion and let the students make up their own mind. That is what education is all about.

They should not teach classes that are targeted to specific groups that strengthen the solidarity of those groups. They should not teach anything that is not available to every student and to every student at the same time. Learning together is one of the things that can help folks come together.

Ethnic studies are different than history. Having an option to take Latin American history or even Mexican history is fine. I don't even have a problem with making it mandatory, nor with northern cities having a requirement to take Canadian history. Now if they were to teach Mexican history, they should go into the systemic corruption within the Mexican government, law enforcement and judicial systems, especially through decades of leadership by the PRI. They need to teach about the government manipulation of industry and markets through the oil and cement industry and they need to teach about how the modern Mexican society treated their native peoples and how miserably the Mexican government treats Central Americans. They also should teach about how women are treated relative to men in the Mexican society. In short, they need to teach history absent opinion and bias.

Ethnic studies are all about reinforcing the differences between groups and there is no place for them in a publically funded school. There are certainly private organizations that can provide that instruction should kids want it or their parents want them to have it.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

I never said it was about white people
I even said it's not about immigration or ethnicity

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

What is going on in AZ? I believe they are trying to stir the pot to stimulate a race war, and i'm very serious about that.

I don't think anything of the or the other recent AZ bill has anything to do with immigration of ethnic chauvinism.

This is about divide and conquer!

news.yahoo.com

I can't help but keep thinking this to. But I don't think it's limited to AZ. They are just the people holding the laddle to stir the pot. While the government is the one who provided the ingredients (I love analogies, don't you?
)

I'm very worried about the current atmosphere regarding this issue. Like my boyfriend said, it's starting to be more about race and less about illegals. My reasoning is because people are directing their anger directly at those who are here illegally rather than toward those that provide the means for it to even be possible.

There's the old dilemma of charging someone with theft if they are stealing bread to feed their family. In the case of illegals, they aren't stealing anything, it's being GIVEN to them. If your only worry in life is to ensure your family is fed and that they have shelter and the easiest way for that to happen is to go somewhere else to make the money to do so and someone is more than willing to provide you with that opportunity, wouldn't you take that chance?

If there are no jobs for illegals, then there are no illegals coming here for jobs. It's really that simple.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

How could one NOT complain about race? My best friends mom is 100% Hispanic. Her mother came here from Mexico, LEGALLY. If a protest against illegal immigration was being held and she happened to walk by it, you can bet your bottom dollar the first thing to go through people's minds at that protest would by to wonder if she was legal or not simply because she's "brown". I wouldn't doubt if some actually shouted at her as if she WERE here illegally.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
OLD white people retire to Arizona. They also vote. The governor of AZ is catering to them. Plain and simple. How do you think Phoenix got so big? Retirement is HUGE in Arizona.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by tellmemoreok
OLD white people retire to Arizona. They also vote. The governor of AZ is catering to them. Plain and simple. How do you think Phoenix got so big? Retirement is HUGE in Arizona.

It's pretty big in Mexico too

It's unclear how many Americans use IMSS, but with between 40,000 and 80,000 U.S. retirees living in Mexico, the number probably runs "well into the thousands," said David Warner, a public policy professor at the University of Texas.

As the United States debates an overhaul of its health care system, thousands of American retirees in Mexico have quietly found a solution of their own, signing up for the health care plan run by the Mexican Social Security Institute.
www.usatoday.com...

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

State schools chief Tom Horne, who has pushed the bill for years, said he believes the Tucson school district's Mexican-American studies program teaches Latino students that they are oppressed by white people

If it is true that this program teaches hispanics that they are oppressed by white people, then no they shouldn't be allowed in a public school.

The measure signed Tuesday prohibits classes that advocate ethnic solidarity, that are designed primarily for students of a particular race or that promote resentment toward a certain ethnic group.

If this is really what it's about then I see no problem with it.

For example, in the Mexican-American Studies program, an American history course explores the role of Hispanics in the Vietnam War, and a literature course emphasizes Latino authors.

I think there's a way that they could incorparate this information into regular history and literature classes.

The measure doesn't prohibit classes that teach about the history of a particular ethnic group, as long as the course is open to all students and doesn't promote ethnic solidarity or resentment.

This sounds fair to me.

Sean Arce, director of the district's Mexican-American Studies program, said last month that students perform better in school if they see in the curriculum people who look like them.

That's fine, but then they need to have the exact same programs in place for all ethnicities, not just a select few.

Six UN human rights experts released a statement earlier Tuesday saying all people have the right to learn about their own cultural and linguistic heritage, they said.

I could give a rats behind what the UN says, we are a sovereign country. However regarding what they said, they're right people do have that right. However they have a right to learn that on their own dime, not the states.

"The governor believes ... public school students should be taught to treat and value each other as individuals and not be taught to resent or hate other races or classes of people," Senseman said.

I agree with her, they learn enough of that on the streets, sometimes at home, they don't need to be taught it in school.

Edit for link....

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 5/12/2010 by chise61]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
I think this governor is addicted to attention.

It wouldn't suprise me if she tries for a 2012 bid for Presidency...I think she believes she can win on the anti-immigration (anti-Hispanic) platform.

Hey...Bush did it...people are stupid enough to vote based off of this crap.

Maybe next she will remove MLK day holiday like it used to be in Arizona.

I really hope Arizona is digging their own grave...this will just cause more protests, more boycotts, and less tourism to that state. I know I won't visit there again to give them my money.

OutKast Searcher, This my come as a SHOCK to YOU!
But No One In Arizona Cares if you come here or spend any money here.
As a matter of fact,, Stay Where Ever You Are. We don't need you or your money.

Thank You, You Are Dimissed Now.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by guohua]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Here is a novel idea, teach by timeline! During middle school years teach a world overview/studies course giving a basic outline of general history of the world and different countries , just lightly touching on major events throughout the globe. Once in High School teach 2 years of American studies, as defined as pooling all of the ethnic contributions to the American society as well as the good and bad of major policies as enacted by the gov't proper. Emphasize the cultural oneness in these contributions. The second half of HS do the same for world studies. Teaching singular ethnic based classes only teaches divisiveness at a time when most teenagers are just forming world opinions and are generally feeling like the odd man/woman out and searching to belong. Teaching divisive ethnic-based course curriculum can only set up victim mentalities in very impressionable kids that could handicap thier potential later in life.JM2C

[edit on 12-5-2010 by djvexd]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
The course was wrong. If it taught ALL races the same course and did not teach one race that they are being oppressed, then it would be OK. The students were segregated by RACE with the only the hispanic students taking the hispanic studies course. That was a recipe for disaster.

I am hoping for the bill that will toss out all children of illegal aliens, or at least require them to pay for their children's education in our schools.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

OutKast Searcher, This my come as a SHOCK to YOU!
But No One In Arizona Cares if you come here or spend any money here.

I disagree...and these websites would suggest otherwise.

Arizona Guide

Office of Tourism

Az Tourism

Arizona.com

It seems like they spend quite a bit of money on trying to attract tourist to their state...it does seem like the people of Arizona care if I, and others, come to visit Arizona.

Deny it if you like...but I am not the only one planning no more visits to Arizona...even some baseball teams are thinking about moving their spring training.

White Sox

Possible boycott or relocation of All Star game:

All Star Game

And an overall negative impact caused by the racist laws Arizona is passing.

Boycot t Impact

So yeah...I would say they should care...unless they are complete morons.

Do you still think no one should care?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Have you heard of the BUYCOTT? I predict it will be much more successful than the boycott promoted by weak minded people without reasoning powers.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder

Have you heard of the BUYCOTT? I predict it will be much more successful than the boycott promoted by weak minded people without reasoning powers.

Again..you can deny it all you want...I really don't care. My plans have already changed for vacations planned for next year.

Your BUYCOTT is pretty funny...they are boycotting a boycott...and somehow you think that is rational. By that logic...I participate in that every day...I'm sure I violate many boycotts in my everyday life...I must be awesome.

Would you care to elaborate on how me boycotting vacationing in Arizona because I disagree with their racist laws means I have a weak mind and have no reasoning powers???

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Well for one thing calling the laws in Az racist, that would suggest a lack of reasoning powers. Spin it how you want, the law doesn't say hispanics, it says illegals.are you implying all illegals are hispanic? That in and of itself could be construed as a racist thought.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

It cracks me up that so many folks rail against folks who relax their principals for the sake of the almight buck who are now suggesting that Arizona should sacrifice their principals for the almighty buck.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

double post

[edit on 12-5-2010 by dolphinfan]

<<   2  3 >>

join