It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phoebe 'bullied to death'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by fizzy1

No. They should all be made to look down all day long and speak when only spoken to.

Maybe throw a veil over their heads or something. They are really getting out of hand.

Now i sound like some beeotch but i have grandchildren going thru this very phase. The hell with that.

And it does ruin people FOREVER....

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I'm a girl and I was bullied a lot over the years at school. The teachers never did a thing and sometimes I think they added to it. I think it did help me to understand the world more and be wary of and not trust as many people. Which you shouldn't. I'm definetly emotionally stronger now. It's a shame a lot of people can't make it through though. Ecspecially when there's no one to talk to. I know how it feels.
Something needs to be done before we have start having more of these cases.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

I was not aware she had been raped, that I could see as a reason to kill oneself, though even then there are options to be found far better than ending your own life. Did she not consider murdering those who assaulted her? I mean if the headline had read "Victim gets revenge on Rapist" I would have come into this thread saluting her as a hero.

Perhaps instead of anti-bullying legislation what we need is Teen-Empowerment legislation to teach kids how to steel themselves against the hollow words of bullies and how to get help when the bullying becomes physical.

I still don't get it though... Even in my darkest days as an angst ridden teen being bullied constantly I could never have even fathomed the idea of actually committing suicide... I mean that's kinda how going through puberty is supposed to be...

I just don't understand people in general, the justifications for MOST of the things we do make no sense. Almost anything this girl could have done would have been a better choice than being dead...

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShilohGirl
I'm a girl and I was bullied a lot over the years at school. The teachers never did a thing and sometimes I think they added to it. I think it did help me to understand the world more and be wary of and not trust as many people. Which you shouldn't. I'm definetly emotionally stronger now. It's a shame a lot of people can't make it through though. Ecspecially when there's no one to talk to. I know how it feels.
Something needs to be done before we have start having more of these cases.

This is my whole point. It did not help you to understand the world it helped you to mistrust and fear it. The world is a beautiful place and you should have had the opportunity to see it and enjoy it as thus. Someone took that away from you.
Emotionally stronger is another word for harder and more callous.
I know exactly what you are talking about but you (and I too) live in a wonderful world of beauty and potential wearing a heavy and hot "armor of protection" It should not be necessary.
We are inhibited. It is not a good thing for a human because by our very nature we strive to grow without bounds. If we are inhibited we no longer do that freely. We hit fences.

It does not have to be this type of experience for children if adults would only stop using corporeal punishment and humiliation to train toddlers and youngsters.

Think about the violence in our lives now...Scientology, Catholic Church, the Dems and Republicans fighting with each other, gangs, kids in school.
I think all of it stems from being struck as children and experiencing DOMINATION.

Now we dominate others and lash out as if it is the only way to solve a problem. Society brings this all upon itself.
One day we will realize this and make it a better and safer place for all.
Because it might be a very easy fix.

I hope we decide to do it before we destroy ourselves and the planet.

Peace.
Isn't that all we ever wanted.

[edit on 1-4-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by fizzy1

Here is a huge part of the problem:

My opinion on this is that bullying is part of growing up and mild hazing and bullying teaches kids to be stronger and fight back and stand up.

Your opinion has been formed too close to the battlefield to see straight and digest the complexities and consequences of bullying. You turned out fine. Others don't. Your opinion though unfortunately too sad but true, is none the less wrong.

Never accept defeat.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

No matter what you do to try and solve this problem kids will find a way to get around it and terrorize their friends. You have hall monitors? They will go to the bathrooms. Kids must be part of the solution. SAVE

Alice Miller www.naturalchild.org... is the boldest voice to suggest this whole phenomenea is because of corporeal punishment inflicted on the very young.

Corporeal punishment such as this. (if the link works) Teenage Alabama girl opts for suspension rather than being ‘paddled’ for ‘racy’ prom dress (video)www.examiner.com... rom-dress-video

I remember when I didn't believe it either.

The man who was taken down a road tortured and killed because he was gay inspired the hate crimes bill. These are the same types of crimes.

Back in October 2009 our community and country was stunned when 15 year-old Michael Brewer was doused in alcohol and set on fire by other teens.

Last week, 15 year-old Josie Lou Ratley, who shared a science class with Michael Brewer at Deefield Middle School, was brutally beaten nearly to death. Josie Ratley remains in a medically induced coma at Broward General Medical Center, more than a week after prosecutors say an enraged teenager she barely knew confronted her at a Deerfield Beach Middle School bus stop and repeatedly stomped on her head while wearing steel-toed boots

www.cbsnews.com...

www.myfoxdfw.com...:-bullies-sucked-life-out-of-teen

JOSHUA - The funeral for a middle school student who killed himself earlier this week was Thursday. Thirteen-year-old Jon Carmichael’s family said he was being bullied at school. His older sister, Crystal Brooks, said he was a happy kid at home. He loved hunting, fishing, sports and his family. But she said what was going on at school sucked the life out of him. “There’s boys that would knock books out of his hands in the hall,” she said. Another time, Brooks said her brother told her he’d been attacked because their mom had visited him during lunch. “About nine to 10 boys took his books out of his hand, picked him up and shoved his head in the toilet repeatedly,” she said. Classmate Stone Miller described other incidents. “Took his bag and broke his cologne and his grandma’s keychain that she’d made him. I know that hurt him really bad,” he said. As the community in Joshua came to honor Carmichael at his funeral, school administrators said they are continuing to probe the accusations of bullying.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

Yeah This has got to be stopped! There is a child that bullies my ten year old daughter all the time(words only). I finally got to the point I told my daughter next time I would call the police and say she put her hands on her and this girl is much bigger than my daughter. I told her to tell her I said it too, so now it has stopped. I don't care about telling the truth I have had it to the max with these kinds of children(bullies) they should be rounded up and put in special homes and schools with other idiots like them!!!!

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
As a few have stated in this that bullying has been around for awhile.i know this is going to p@#$off alot of folks but here's the truth of the matter.when i was a kid i was a chunky one and got got called blob,fat a$% and the sort yes it did hurt but a soon as i put my chunky foot to one of there arses it went away the only thing a bully understands is when you stand up for yourself and seems that 90% of all bullies are cowards trying to cover there own weakness by exploiting another's.yes you may be suspended for a few days for fighting but at least when you get back to school you have a easy mind

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

I agreed with your post, other than "bullying is a rite of passage". I don't agree with this, bullying is what happens when parents are bully's themselves and allow their children to be bullies.

Yes, children will see it happening and "try it on for size", if adults step in and say NO this is BAD, then a child will stop being a bully.

Children learn to become bullies when parents allow it, and when parents "bully" their children.

I don't agree that bullying is acceptable in any way what so ever. When it is seen, it should be stopped like it hit a brick wall and the perpetrators punished. If this happens, they will learn that bullying is not "ok".

Bullying is abuse, bullying someone is being abusive to someone. Abuse is never a "rite of passage", abuse is abuse, no matter who it comes from.

To the op, I think these children and their parents deserve to be punished, as it is obvious to me that their actions caused so much harm that someone ended their life over it. How horrible.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

Everyone get's bullied, or at least almost everyone... however I don't think they should get blamed if the person they are bullying commits suicide. Suicide is the decision of the person committing it.

[edit on 1-4-2010 by Titen-Sxull]
edited for clarity

Looks as if you are blaming the victim here. Nice job. (sarcastic)

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I think in this case, the kids should be charged and the negligent adults should be charged. It's time we took a tougher stance on this kind of tragedy.

I'm only sorry that she took it out on herself instead of on those who attacked her. If they hit you, you have to hit back harder.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

Lets see 20 years ago bullies existed and they still exist now what has changed? It is the new age politically correct progressive mindset that has changed. It is making our kids weak of mind,body and soul. That is why it seem so extreme now it because we view everything as a huge issue and worry about everything.

A poor girl died because of bullies.
No a poor girl died because sometimes that happens and it could be a million reasons but the reality is it is really only important on a micro level not a macro

We take all issues and blow them up as big as we can so we have something to do instead of living our pathetic lives. And I will be viewed as harsh and not having empathy for saying this but the truth is by making this a huge issue it only makes the problem worse.

I used to sort of like you or was at least able to tolerate your opinions. That love affair is over.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Well we need to reclaim our kids. I brought mine up not to be bullied and they knew damn well not to bully anyone. I was also prepared to go to jail for chastising them as an ultimate act as parental discipline. We cannot leave the TV to raise our kids and we must get the government out of our homes.

How on earth did our parents bring us up when the government stopped at the front door??

I really feel for this Kid. In the UK we have had a few situations like this in the last six months.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
We need to teach our kids to fight back.

I was bullied up until 10th grade, where I took it upon myself to hurl a desk across the classroom at one of the (insert phallic slang here) heads.

That put a very prompt stop to it.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Bullying is a serious social problem around the world. Those that have not experienced it (whether directly or indirectly) would not understand how much pain it can cause.

I made a thread on bullying last year. For anybody interested here is the link:
Removing the Bully in ME and You

I understand people feel that kids in the past could deal with it so why can't the youth today. Times have changed. But it seems that the social acceptance of bullying has risen dramatically. Look how many cases involve teachers that stand back and do nothing. Look how often kids are told to "toughen up" and "take it on the chin"

A young girl has ended her life because those around her were making her existence a living hell. Think about that for a moment...

[edit on 4/4/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I wonder how karma will treat these bullies. I am a bit surprised no one tried to stand up for her but then again i wasn't there and that may not have turned out any better. Back when i was in school this kid had a baseball bat and started badgering my brother, hes the same age but innocent and cheerful in character, the kid started talking crap and starting walking towards him. I stood forward and told the kid i would rip his throat out if he took another step. He was with a group and "jokingly" tossed the bat aside and walked off, making fun of me instead. It feels good when you have a 6-something male quaking in their boots just by the look in your eye. I was bullied alot as a kid for being quiet and keeping to myself. Not a pleasant experience for anyone. Poor girl didn't have anyone to lean on it seems. I hope her bullies are tried for murder.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
this is definitely a tough subject and an emotional one at that. However, alot of people keep seeming to blur the lines between moral ethics and law. This case seems to be delving into dangerous grounds of attacking free speech and expression. And this case is big news and just in time for the net neutrality issue. So hypothetically, i should have charges brought against me just cuz i call someone a "dooshbag" for whatever reason? Then since I am such a bad seed charges should be brought against my parents and since my teachers did not catch my horrible behavior, they too, will have charges brought against them? This is madness and seemingly getting out of control. Its so convenient and a new trend for the judicial system to write new laws in the midst of a tragedy.Teachers are just that, teachers. Not disciplinaries, psychologists, or police. They are there to instruct reading, writing, and arithmatic. Nothing more. Parents cant always control their children 24/7. Even from the most respectible families a bad seed is born. I myself, was also bullied. Alot. I was also new, short, and skinny. Beaten up regularly, ridiculed for my clothes and not being able to participate in sports. However, I am stronger and a better person. I am not saying this behavior is right, but it isnt for the courts to decide. Its for society to decide. To step up and sift through the mess we call childhood.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Evolving emotionally and internally into a stronger individual from bullying is one thing, but this poor girl was tortured everyday. I've witnessed the bullying of other kids, and i've even stood up for some because I was so disgusted by the verbal warfare inflicted on another person.

I hope these spoiled brats get put in jail for 20 years! There is no excuse for what they did. I don't care if they are "A" students or middle class. This poor girl Phoebe couldn't take it anymore. I'm sure she felt like absolute sh*&t. She probably couldn't turn to anyone besides her parents or school administrators since she was new. Its such a shame.

Unfortunately people are cold hearted and cruel.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Can I get an AMEN!

You're so right that we have failed? How did we fail? By not showing our kids consequences. Now I am not that old so I won't give you all that back-in-my-day stuff. What I will do is tell you about my family (very short)

I onced punched a kid for calling me a name. I got my butt WHOOPED by my father...oh and check this out...IT WASN'T ABUSE! I grew up just fine!

I used to backsass my mom all the time and treat girls like they were inferior...my dad got a hold of me...to this day, long after his death I STILL refuse to treat women as anything but equals

I used to cross the street all the time without looking. My dad warned me...one day he watched me do it, called my friend's house and told her father to tell me to come home and expect a spanking.

Look...all of these are life lessons. Of course I am against abuse. Ya don't need to beat a kid up or whip him with reeds or take the belt to him but this era of 'time out' and ignoring our children's problems has got to stop.

I heard a story once...and damned if I can't find the link now...

A high shcool student was caught plagarising a final exam. The student was subsequently failed. The parents became enraged and sued the school resulting in the termination of the teacher.

What have we taught this young lad?

That he can cheat and there is no consequences.

This is where we fail...we don't teach consequences and responsibility! I am so tired of going into a store, watching the kid cry and throw a fit for a candy and the mother gives up and allows the child a candy bar. Positive reinforcement has just taken place. The kid threw a fit and equated the fit wit success.

Long story short...once again...no consequences left in this country. Kids can do whatever they dang-well please and we just look away

And you wonder why I get a bit irritated with SOME (please recognise I said some before you jump me for generalising) of the new Airman entering the Air Force. You wonder why I get upset when two 14 year old hooligans punch a hole in my brother's garage and burn it down with two cars inside amassing a total cost of over $60,000 and a raise in his insurance premiums because one day he told these kids to stop harassing his dog.

Where are those kids now...go ahead...ask me...

yup! back in school two days later

Way to go society...let's keep on teaching them kids to do whatever they like...that will make the real world better.

Thank god that doesn't happen in the adult world...

oops!

I feel for her family. Bullied to submission when her poor emotional mind could no longer handle it...

I won't be surprised if a firm slap on the wrist is handed down to the assailants

-Kyo

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

After listing multiple examples of what you refer to as "bullying", (I don't agree with all your examples), you fail to summarize this vast list by including why you believe this is "a fact of life", and we should accept it as such, shrug our shoulders, and walk away.

Do you not believe that as adults we have responsibility to protect our youth? During school hours the school has in loco parentis giving them rights to act as a parent when needed. Having this right, then, they consequently have the responsibility to insure the safety of all children.

In this case of Phoebe Prince, do you think her parents should just walk away, shrug, and say "oh well, another case of bullying. It's to be expected".

What would you do if Phoebe Prince were your daughter?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join