It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina Schools May Cut Chunk Out of U.S. History Lessons

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

North Carolina Schools May Cut Chunk Out of U.S. History Lessons

www.foxnews.com

As the North Carolina curriculum stands now, ninth-grade students take world history, 10th-graders study civics and economics and 11th-graders take U.S. history going back to the country's founding.

Under the proposed change, the ninth-graders would take a course called global studies, focusing in part on issues such as the environment. The 10th grade still would study civics and economics, but 11th-graders would take U.S. history only from 1877 onward.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+13 more 
posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Really?! American history minus the Revolutionary War, the Declaration of Independence, the Civil War, etc. To focus on more modern history. Seriously? How does one teach US history without the actual founding of the nation?

This is downright stupid!!!!!! I can't even believe this is a consideration in the North Carolina public education system.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Wow, I guess they really are trying to update the education system. But the explination makes absolutely no sense. Alot of the modern stuff goes back to the Revolutionary war, cause that is where the ideas of trade, and the countries economy starts, the ideas of government and how the political process got started. And lets not forget the Civil War, how it related to the civil rights movements in the 50's and 60's, so there will be a gap in the education of the children.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I would not be surprised if this went national for all students. I mean what better way to take away a person's rights if they are uninformed as to what their rights are and why they are?

It may even soften the blow if kids thought that the reason there are no jobs for them when they do eventually graduate is because of the pollution controls in America.

[edit on 3-2-2010 by Ahabstar]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Huge gaps, not to mention how is the Constitution with our fantastic bill of rights not relevant to modern times? Did I miss something? Perhaps, we do not need to worry about our rights necessarily being taken away, they will simply never inform the youth of them.

This another attack on education, I don't even live in NC but I feel something needs to be done about this, I don't want it spreading to my state.

[edit on 3-2-2010 by searching4truth]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
What revolution? Ohhh we were always a democracy!

What civil war? Ohhh you know states don't have the right to do that!

The people who support this are probably completely ignorant of history, but somehow I don't think the people who came up with it are.

They already cut out history though. How many of you know of the 1921 Coal Miner's War when thousands of armed coal miners marched on West Virginia demanding fair employment practices, and WVA called a state of emergency and had to petition the federal government to send the military in?

That's right, I doubt any of you have ever heard of that.

I only have because it happened in my own back yard, and I barely even heard about it at that.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Usually I get a chuckle out of many of NWO theories, however one of the parts that stuck out to me was the 9th grade global studies class with its environmental section. Correct me if I'm wrong, but so recall covering the environment in biology, shouldn't it stay in the science curriculum where it belongs instead of dropping the most important years, documents, and people of our history? Owww, my head hurts, and I think I hear Alex Jones.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
Wow, I guess they really are trying to update the education system. But the explination makes absolutely no sense. Alot of the modern stuff goes back to the Revolutionary war, cause that is where the ideas of trade, and the countries economy starts, the ideas of government and how the political process got started. And lets not forget the Civil War, how it related to the civil rights movements in the 50's and 60's, so there will be a gap in the education of the children.

They want everyone to forget that #.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Hehehe, I've heard of it, but it was only because my second major was history, honestly I'd never heard of it prior to college.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

The Battle of Blair Mountain. Yes I know it, but then again I majored in History a long time ago with the intent of becoming a high school history teacher.

seraching4truth: Just more dry wit sarcasm on my part than actual NWO speculation. environmental issues could be handled in an appropriate science course or even an economics class or "social studies" if the class focused on cultures and changes from historical to modern as they adapted to changing conditions such as the global impact of the slave trade as different cultures interacted through exploration and how entering the industrial age affected the global economies. And comparing that to changing from the industrial age to the information age and maybe throw in pollution and other environment impacts such as natural disasters.

Admittedly a good course may be too involved on the high school level unless it was an elective class with a cap on 15-20 students per class.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Free speech? What's that? That's not permitted is it?

That's what you'll hear in a few more generations if stuff like this keeps up.

Right to bear arms? Guns are illegal aren't they? The government says they're bad for us so it must be true.

At least decades ago they tried to hide it a bit better. They're not even trying any more. Anyone who lives in NC needs to try and make their voice heard that this is complete BS. Of all places North Carolina, I really suspected that California or Massachusetts would be the first to try and pull this on us. It sounds just like China, where they omit things from the history books and prohibit the public from finding out about them. Tienanmen Square massacre? What is that?

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
reply to post by Ahabstar

Usually I get a chuckle out of many of NWO theories, however one of the parts that stuck out to me was the 9th grade global studies class with its environmental section. Correct me if I'm wrong, but so recall covering the environment in biology, shouldn't it stay in the science curriculum where it belongs instead of dropping the most important years, documents, and people of our history? Owww, my head hurts, and I think I hear Alex Jones.

Agreed, environment is science, not history (not yet anyhow...). I cannot even begin to pretend what they could possibly teach in a history class about environments and be relevant beyond the catalist to some disasters...which typically takes...what...2 lines...want to know more about it, research it in your science class.

not unlike saying History will now encompass the revolutionary war, civil war, home economics, and WW1......

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth

Maurice Strong, anyone? It'd make sense if he had a hand in it

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hypntick
Anyone who lives in NC needs to try and make their voice heard that this is complete BS. Of all places North Carolina, I really suspected that California or Massachusetts would be the first to try and pull this on us.

Why do I got the feeling most parents wouldn't give a #? Most parents don't even want to be involved with their kids because they're too busy with that 90 hour week.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Lets look at the curriculum before we flip out. Tenth grade civics covers the constitution, revolution, jurisdiction, taxation, the formation and structure of political parties and related topics. It covers the federal and state level. Reading the outline available on the state's website I actually think the civics course may cover most of the necessary stuff about the constitution and formation of the country.
Link

What really struck me though was this complete fallacy.

"The students are in school for 13 years," said Garland. "They certainly are taught U.S. and North Carolina history in middle school."

In sixth grade we had European History. I did a paper on Hungary so I remember that. In seventh grade I remeber having the Islamic faith explained in class. So I would say it wasn't U.S history. Then eighth grade was North Carolina history. We never made it all the way to the civil war as far as I remember.

So I call BS on her statement.

what they really teach

Middle School Social Studies (6-8)

Introduction
Skills
Sixth Grade
South America and Europe
Seventh Grade
Africa, Asia, and Australia
Eighth Grade
North Carolina: Creation and Development of the State

I am going to write a letter expressing my concerns about the change. The current outline covers very important and vital information.

[edit on 4-2-2010 by MikeNice81]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I guess yawll be buying Al Gores Books and Movies to use for this great Global course.

Makes sense to me.

Isn't there some one with any B__Ls in NC to shove this garbage back at these idiots!!!

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

I'm sure that bits of U.S. history are touched on pre High school in NC just as it is elsewhere. But here's the issue with that, the curriculum is age based. For instance, in fifth I studied the Constitution. At this level our objective was to memorize the preamble, that was it, we didn't read through it, but at a fifth grade level that was that and at the time probably as much as most could handle. Now, each year you may touch on the same subjects repeatedly however it is always gets further indepth as the years progress. To say that you had better get all you early American history by eighth grade is outrageous. I do not believe I did a very thorough study of it until high school.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I am not arguing at all here but the thread got me thinking. There is a point where history will have to begin being edited down to cliff's notes. Think about 9th grade history 500 years from now. Are they still going to be expected to know 1000 years worth of history at the end of the year? How will we decide which things to teach and which not? Just wondering.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Lillydale

Just Another example of TPTB pushing forth their Agenda of the Dumbing Down of America . If that is the case , then Children should be taught the things they don't Learn in School at Home by their Parents wouldn't you think ? I mean , Home Schooling is where it all began bach when this Nation was first conceived , no ?

[edit on 4-2-2010 by Zanti Misfit]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I'm a student in North Carolina but I attend on online school. Those who are homeschooled can balance this out with supplemental history by their parents as well as regular students, but this is still very perturbing.

Focusing on recent history is a good goal to be sure, but not at the expense of preceding history. While they may learn it in middle school, that's a huge gap in which they will not remember at least half of it. Why would they want students to focus on recent history as opposed to such events as our country's founding, the Civil War, and sundry other happenings that lay the foundation for what the country is today? It's not good to forget the past. I just hope that by making it public the outcry will make them reconsider their actions.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join