It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LHC knocked out by ANOTHER power failure

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by SeeingBlue
Even as a programmer I realize that you can't code a program one time through and expect everything to work perfect.

Yes you can!
Especially if you use classes which are pre-tested

let's reiterate then.. an original program, not some knocked together visual basic 2 button and text box app.

link   
First off, thanks for posting the thread EH. This LHC never fails to capture interest.

My serious questions are these:

Will this instrument have a payoff for humanity once it is operational?

What is the upside beyond Discovery Channel specials?

Is the expense and the real and imagined risks worth the possible payoffs?

The not so serious:

Has anyone hit it with a hammer yet?

link   
This is a minor setback, they will be back online within 24 hours so no big deal. Something this complex will take a while until it is stable but when it is scientists should make some interesting discoveries.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I think this LHC is turning out to be one huge lemon of a machine, where maybe the science of its engineering is flawed for what they want this piece of machinery to accomplish, maybe the brains behind this experiment have gone too far ahead of themselves with the technology and theories currently available to us, simply we arent advanced enough to carry this experiment out...

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by aspx

Why would the UK ... wich invested hundreds of millions in that thing want to sabotage it?

I'm getting tired of that thing failing all the time. At the rate it's breaking down they will never discover anything with it.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

you forgot the operative part of the equation:
... and all parted out by the lowest bidder.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by spender
I think this LHC is turning out to be one huge lemon of a machine

You have no idea how swell this machine is. I'm now in about 1500 feet from the LHC ring. The commissioning went smoothly, we have collisions, all 4 experiments took first ever data, and things are looking up.

The fact that a high voltage line somewhere had a problem can excite only the ignorami. That's the level they operate in. No light in the toilet = bad.

LHC is safe and sound and I'm proud to contribute to this historical endeavor.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I know a good washing machine fixer guy...he is cheap, gets it working and gives you a 60 day warranty on his work. Maybe i should give him a call yea?

respects

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
If UFO's buzz nuclear military facilities all the time, I can only imagine what they think of humans tinkering with this thing!

"Oh yeah, we can't have this going on, shut it down - again!"

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Thanks for the update, will be looking forward to more. I hope it gets fixed soon but I also kinda like the colorful conspiracies when it breaks down

[edit on 2-12-2009 by December_Rain]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain
reply to post by buddhasystem

Thanks for the update, will be looking forward to more. I hope it gets fixed soon but I also kinda like the colorful conspiracies when it breaks down

Well I don't

I was on a WiFi phone with my wife when we got this outage, so I do know it was at 1:22 am according to my Balckberry. Power was back later this morning.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
These guys should take a hint.

Someone or Something is trying to tell them something . . .

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
S&F OP!...

Woah, woah, woah, wait a second here...
(from the link provided in the OP)

We ourselves find it hard not to suspect the involvement of some pan-dimensional police force, seeking to prevent humanity acquiring parallel-universe portal capability before we're ready to use it responsibly.

Since when were they using the LHC for parallel-universe portals? Taken out of context or a slip of the black budget tongue?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Hey this is ATS - don't believe the news/spin!

Perhaps it was some other side effect/incident that knocked it out of service?

Interesting the network went out - EMP anyone?

Maybe they fitted cheapo circuit breakers?

Perhaps the science team are stringing out the project after cash-strapped PTB re-negotiated the funding/targets?

[edit on 2-12-2009 by curioustype]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Or maybe it just stopped because there was a power outage?
heh

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solar.Absolution
Since when were they using the LHC for parallel-universe portals? Taken out of context or a slip of the black budget tongue?

No, it's a slip of bovine dejecta. By the way, the collisions we are having now are at the energy slightly less than that of Tevatron at FNAL. Of course this will be ramped up.

How hard is it to have interest in science even when it doesn't involve psychotic birds from the future, pan-dimensional bugs or aliens from Zeta Reticuli who got high on fine French espresso?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
Wouldn't it be crazy if it didn't work until Dec. 2012? What a synchronicity THAT would be.

I mean for whatever anomalous thing they are trying to ultimately accomplish.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by bsbray11]

Nah You got it all mixed up . It does work , they are just testing and fine tuning it before the real showdown at 2012

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Are they offsetting the carbon output resulting from the enormous power usage of this thing?

Are the scientists involved in the Hadron Collider Climate change skeptics?

I think they should stop playing with things like this, creating black holes, OMG, thats just stupid. And quite likely to be impossible to do without ill effect.

The pollution created to build and run this thing must be astronomical.

Peace

A rocky vineyard does not need a prayer, but a pick ax. - Navajo

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
No, it's a slip of bovine dejecta.

Haha!

Originally posted by buddhasystem
How hard is it to have interest in science even when it doesn't involve psychotic birds from the future, pan-dimensional bugs or aliens from Zeta Reticuli who got high on fine French espresso?

I never didn't (oh noes double negative!) have an interest in the LHC, yes a healthy normal atom smashing interest. I just thought it was strange how he spoke of it as a device that (attempted) to open cross dimensional portals.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Too much stress on the machine. Too much heat, too cold, too much electricity, it's a overload. Scientists must be REALLLLY frustrated.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join