It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli soldier killed, Gaza truce breached

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Israeli soldier killed, Gaza truce breached

www.reuters.com

GAZA (Reuters) - An Israeli soldier was killed by a bomb on the border with the Gaza Strip on Tuesday and troops then killed a Palestinian, in violence that strained a ceasefire and left people in Gaza fearing further Israeli attacks.

"I don't care who fired," said Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni, who is leading the ruling party in the campaign for the February 10 ballot. "Hamas controls Gaza and is responsible for everything that happens. Whenever they fire at me from Gaza, set off a bomb or launch a missile or smuggle (weapons), Israel will respond."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Oh my, looks like they are going to go at it again. The only problem I see with this is that it appears that a proper investigation will not be allowed to see if this was Hamas or some third-party trying to re-ignite the war. As Israel's Foreign Minister said "I don't care who fired" shows that they are just looking and itching to get back at the war with Gaza and looking for any reason.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Since this is a conspiracy site, I nder if this was in inside job to look for that reason you stated for israel to fight again?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
On another thread on the same topic, I posted the links about the Israelis continuing to fire on palestinian fishing boats and at houses on shore too.
Israel is itself ignoring the ceasefire, infact, it never really stopped, just scaled things back a bit to make it seem they'd halted all attacks.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
It certainly was odd the way Israel broke off their attack on Gaza without truly reaching any of their stated objectives in the attack. I am not sure whether that was because the objectives were unrealistic to begin with, whether it was a nod to international condemnation and widespread worldwide public opinion against the war, whether it was a means to keep President Obama from having to weigh in with a telling hand early in his Presidency or Israeli casualties were heavier than expected.

I have kind of felt based on what disinformation agents are posting on the Internet blogs the past several days they are just pausing long enough to try to shore up public opinion.

I hope not, and I hope that public opinion continues to side with a negotiated solution instead of another failed attempt at a violent one.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
My my, here we go again.

Not like I wasn't expecting this.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Since this is a conspiracy site I want to put forward that Hamas potentially did nothing, but in the light of the anti-Israel sentiment internationally, the Israeli propaganda machinery is back at the demonization of the arab nations.

Personally I think Israel landed in this position ( anti-israeli sentiment) bercause in the electronic age it's possible to easily verify propaganda and seperate it from the actual situation. Maybe when they receive their next funds from the US they can have a conference on Propaganda in the 21 st Century.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Since this is a conspiracy site I would like to point out that Hamas could be trying to provoke Israel into attacking again. It is widely known that Palestine has the support of many protesters throughout the world. They have been taking over buildings and in some cases destroying equipment. If Israel was to attack again then it would be more likely for the UN to say enough is enough. I think Hamas feels fine about losing another 1000+ people to win over support and cast a dark light on Israel.

Just throwing that out there.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Since this is a conspiracy site, i think a lot of you people are finding every possible conspiracy to blame this on Israel.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Since this is a conspiracy site, i think a lot of you people are finding every possible conspiracy to blame this on Israel.

Or to blame Palestine. But maybe the problem is in the saying "I am sad not because you lied to me, but because now I will never be able to believe you again". Israel and propaganda are synonyms.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Since this is a conspiracy site, would this have anything to do with the US envoy in this area?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Since it was a long standing conspiracy by the Israelis to genocide the Palestinian people, Israel has still not lifted the blockade since its one sided cease fire.

Hamas was fighting the blockade before the zionist Gaza onslaught and it is still fighting the starvation blockade.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
as a regular american

i am so sick of these two children

these is pathetic

you guys are really ODD people and just in general a disappointment to an Average American Joe.

You guys are just childish, is the best word I can use............

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I know that a lot of people want to point the finger at Israel but please pause for a second. Now I'm not saying they definitely didn't do it but it is Hamas' aim to harm Israel. Hamas kills civilians they are acheiving one of their objectives. Israel fires back and hits citizens world turns against them Hamas wins again. Hamas cannot be held accountable as they are not a country or legal organisation. No sanctions can be brought against them. So what you have Israel does something wrong, the world points the finger at them. Hamas does something wrong and the world has noone to point at. This causes a build-up of anti-Israel feeling and no or little ill-will towards Hamas. Well thats my say, whos next.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Cauch1

Wrong! Hamas were / are a legitimate (at least to the Palestinian people) political party and militia. Fatah, for years a tool of the Israelis and their little lapdog Abbas, were voted out in elections and Hamas voted into power.
Hamas asked for dialogue but the US and Israel refused to speak to them, instead choosing to arm and finance Fatah to fight Hamas - the old divide and conquer routine.
It still amazes me when the media talks about "President" Abbas, like he is still the legitimate representative of the Palestinian people.

Proof again that democracy is only valid if the right people win the elections.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
whether this is genuine or not hamas will continue to attack anyway, there's alot pointed out here of the disagreements on both sides. This has been going on for centuries and all resolutions have failed. Take this report for what it is worth, the acts of war from either side will continue, stay tuned.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Clearly the top officials knew this would happen. They just knew it and if they knew it, they wanted it.

How can they expect that this would not happen?? Think logical: The palestine people hate the jews because Israel bombed the Gaza strip to hell - and ISRAEL SENDS A PATROL OVER THE BORDER?? So this is suicide, and the government clearly knew this.

You don't need to be a consp nut to get the far fetched idea, that Israel provoke resistance. So they want dead soldiers. So they want war. So...?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Here is another article which shows us all war affects everybody and not just soldiers and their families.

Tragedy Stalks Gaza Family

Standing on the ruins of his family home, 75-year-old Majdi al-Athamna waves an unexploded land mine in the direction of a camera crew.

Alarmed, they urge him to put it down.

"Don't worry -- if I die it would be no more than what has already been destroyed," he shouts before finally relenting and climbing down from the rubble left after this month's Israeli offensive in the Gaza Strip.

The mine, he says, was one of many placed by Israeli soldiers to demolish the apartment building that once housed dozens of members of his extended family.

"Fifty years I've been building this and it's all gone in the blink of an eye," he said in a quavering voice.

War should be an absolute last option. However, Hamas appears to have hidden themselves amongst the crowds of the Gazan innocents and this does not help Israel to keep Gazan civilian casualties low. Lets face it, both sides are wrong. I am not an expert now a "know-it-all" and do not intend to offend anyone by this comment. From an outsiders view, this appears to boil down to a type of racism or religeousism (I know I am making up my own words now) hate crimes.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaxium

I see where you are coming from the Israelis shouldn't fire on civilians. But Hamas shouldn't use them as shields when they know that the Israelis will fire anyway. Both sides are wrong. The Israelis for killing civilians. Hamas for putting them in harms way.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Cauch1

The trouble is, the Gaza strip is a very heavily populated area, thanks to Israeli policy in moving Palestinians off other land.
Hamas is a guerrilla force, not a standing army. Apart from some home made rockets and explosives and small arms, they have nothing else to fight with.
As such they must fight hit and run style where they can. To suggest that they deliberately hide behind civilians and use them as human shields is ridiculous and, knowing Israels disregard for human life, is always going to be a futile exercise.

Maybe we should allow, in fact aid, Hamas in training and equipping a standing Army, Navy and Air Force big enough and advanced enough to equal Israeli forces. Then they can go toe to toe with Israel and duke it out on more equal terms.

Israel and it's bought western apologists like to keep up the image of cowardly Arabs hiding behind civilians but they are hardly in a position to go fight Israel in the open. They'd be slaughtered in minutes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join