It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Need A White History Month, white college, and white scholorship funds Etc...

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I believe we (white people) had all of those priviledges for over 100 years...

excuse the rough estimate of time, but I believe they started after the civil war and ended in the late 60s...

oh and before the civil war black people were not really even recognised as humans...

just thought id throw that in there.

as for me, im happy and proud to be white. not proud of some of my american white ancestors and there actions, but that is why we have black history month, now isnt it?

to remind us of the atrocities that were commited by our ancestors, and so we may never commit them again

so i say leave it, quit your whining and no we dont need a white history month, or asian history month or arab history month...the one we have suits us just ine. i might be down with an indian history month though...there may be some room for one of those...

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   
This is all there is to it. Racist is only defined in our culture today as a White male. Segregation only refers to a time when signs said whites only and no blacks. So putting on a Black entertainment chanel should against the law I do not think we need a White anything. Look at the prison populations and the welfare line. Im not inferring anything LOOK. Examine the current state of Affrica. Who needs needs help and handouts? Not I

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   
As long as we need these little boxes to put people in we will need these little ways to even the playing field. The UNCF is no more right than a UCCF/UWCF. All things like do is polarize the population. Anything to give one person a better foothold in our society is just as wrong. No matter what anyone does what has happened has happened and nothing will change that.

Why can there just be a college fund? All people are eligible.no matter the color of skin or their gender.There can't be because everyone wants to think they are special and in that lied the ability to see someone else as not as good. Black people do it to white people where the population is mostly black. White people do it to black people if it is them that are the majority. It was suck a big deal a black man become president. Why? To be honest he is a mutt just like the rest of us. I'll wager that someone that reads this post voted for him on his color alone. And someone did not for the same reason.

The sooner we all figure out that the only difference in us as people stem from geographical evolution the better off we all will be. But it wont happen. Blacks, whites, Native Americans, Christians, Atheists, and every other possible way to define ourselves will keep us all separated and we all suffer for it.

None of us in this forum have owned a slave, taken the land of an Indian, or refused to let someone of a different color to drink from a fountain. But we all still pay for it. We pay with our inability to step out of our boxes and see that only geography has been the only thing that makes us different. And what the hell does something like that have to do with any of us being really any better than anyone else?

Embrace your history. For within it all that has been accomplished to date is in it somewhere. and every day is human history month. Not seeing a part of history you want? you can not tell me that it's not out there somewhere. You just have to want to get out there and find it. In the end your education is your own personal responsibility. you have 12 months to study it too!

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
So when do I get my Bean Burrito History Month?

We had hispanic week when I was in school, does that help? Come on, a whole week and they werent nearly as opressed here.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaxium

see I think you make an excellent point... if we were to make a white anything we'd be labeled hardcore racists more than likely IMO

we're all the same for sure

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by spec2

I think that's an excellent idea. It could culminate in something of a World Fair type of event, where all the different groups could convene and show off their histories to the public in the most creative ways they can imagine, through the arts, music and film and even lectures or speeches by notable people.

[edit on 31-12-2008 by cognoscente]

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
The reason why there is a black history month, is to help educate African Americans to their cultural heritage and history - it's about awareness, not just within the black community, but all communities in America. You probably aren't particularly aware of void that exists in the education system with regard to minorities, as you are probably white, and are probably only on this thread to gloat, and tickle your infantile racist streak - but it does exist. That is why it is important for minorities to not just educate about their history, but to define themselves as a culture within a a nation of cultures. White culture has been dominant, and still is, and is represented everywhere. Minorities are only just coming into the fray.
There are black colleges and black student grants, to help the black community, which is particularly impoverished.
Look, it has really only been 60 years since they were allowed into good schools! They were second class citizens who were not allowed regular education. It is important to promote talented individuals and produce role models, and community leaders, so as to better their communities and social standing. Black colleges and grants are there to help enable specifically the black communites. It is to the exclusion of other races and cultures, only in so much as the other communities do not need it as much as the black community! That's the only reason. Not because they don't like whites or yellows or browns or reds or any color - it is specifically to help those that are on the bottom rung of the ladder; and disproportionately so, with regards the stats for the rest of the nation. They are a people who have lost their lands, their language, their history, their gods, their culture. They were slaves, with no rights - only a price tag. They don't have the advantages of a lot of white folks who have extended famillies with generations and generations of education and fiscal liquidity and land and power and influence.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I stopped watching the Law and Order channel for this?

Hang on Spike is showing a CSI marathon before every Bond film ever made.

Good times (but not the Jimmy Walker type).

I remember this one time, at Appalachian State University, this black guy showed up. Stupid MapQuest.

You guys are smart.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   
umm wow being half black and half white o where o where to begin..yea black history month is not really something that we need...but cmon dont white people have like 11 other months to themselves...sorry i cant really say some thing groundbreaking and in depth but its the truth...

p.s. this was the biggest waste of time

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaxium

I myself feel that White history is overlooked much too often. Like the person who started this post I am not racist either.

But is it not racist to deliberately ignore white accomplishments?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Enigma Cypher

Awful idea, whomever created this says they are not racist... are you saying you want it? because it seems so if you are bringing it up, if not then its best to keep off a topic which can be argued forever. Bias, lack of education and strictly problem understanding is what makes this topic impossible to agree on. Though the idea for White Month or whatever you feel like calling it is just unnecessary and so is black history month to be honest. Its created based on giving back to the black community who feel they have the worst of it but wheres the giving back to practically everyone else who suffered in this world? WE give nothing.

I myself feel that White history is overlooked much too often. Like the person who started this post I am not racist either.
But is it not racist to deliberately ignore white accomplishments?

There have been many (white) answers to this question that i respect for i feel they are educated on the subject, this answer seemed to strike a vain for its inaccuracy of what he/she thinks white history is. It is nowhere near being ignored, its just not emphasized and named White History. BUT "white accoplishments" can be something dated back to the beginning of time (beginning of "white" people in your case) but since its being compared to the Black History Month then its not going back that far so ill just say the "white" accomplishments you say are being ignored are actually what your being educated by/with. Have you ever read your history textbook? tell me how much has to do with the history of "white americans" versus the minority. It is not being ignored, its being taught every year to every student of every ethnicity. So if you think its being ignored because its not officially a month of the year than your ridiculous and shouldnt be replying.

I am half 'white' and half mohawk and to my knowledge i have not been educated in school about my ancestors (mohawks) at all, and are they not the people who originated in this area i was born? the north east... i know there are hardly any of us (native americans) left but should they be alienated to reserves and only properly educated in the city where they lose their identity and culture. I understand this is North America and many would feel that the culture and identity is American. The problem is, the people who feel this way are generally white, the American identity is different in comparison to the European but our leaders and elite of this country are the reason for society being such cutthroat lifestyle where the rich generally get richer and the poor get poorer. Anyone who feels this country is the land of opportunity is either one of those 1 in a million rags to riches, someone who has immigrated here from a country who is poor because of the exploitation of this country or finally the rich make it seem that way to get more tax payers, therefore more money for them... i myself am 'middle class' which technically doesnt exist but its the only way anyone really understands the median of this country based on income, lifestyle, etc. I respect this country and i dont want to make it seem like i dont, but i strongly disagree with the vast difference between the bottom of the barrel or this country versus the 'owners' of this country. No excuse for such a difference and it may be a communist idea BUT if people today want change from Obama than expect a change to make it more so the way i feel it should be. The difference i feel Obama should make is a change in the media and the power of the wealthy over the country, because we should all know they are in change of the president. Think about it, learn about it, if you agree than thank you. I just feel that the education of most people posting are either lacking or the bias of being white is overwhelming, probably due to upbringing but thats a whole different subject

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
As soon as the Aliens land and disclosure happens, then I think the month in question will go away. It'll be known as "First Contact Day/Month".

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Anonymous is exactly right. History in America is a white history. Written by whites and dominated by white culture. Whenever you read a textbook, it is white history, even when reading about minorities, it is a white perspective, and the people that decided what will be taught in schools are mainly white, and the people that teach it are mainly white. The education system is not a fair representation of the demographics of the country. I can see that, plainly, and I'm a white, so how do most of you have a problem seeing that? Possibly a little latent racism is involved?

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaxium

There are a couple points that should be made clear,

1) The United Negro College Fund was created in order to help young black people growing up during the time where black people couldnt sit with white people, or eat at the same restaurant, who else would've given them money, better yet who would give them a chance.

2) Black history month should not be abolished, nor white/asian/spanish/indian etc should be created, we commended black people resenting being lynched, enslaved, raped, without using violence as a major priority, show me another race that has done so.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
“The basic rule of human nature is that powerful people speak slowly and subservient people quickly --because if they don't speak fast nobody will listen to them.” - Michael Caine

Thank you for your replies, thoughts, and opinions! I am 100% Sicilian. As I can see there are many opinions to argue both side of the subject and some with twists I had not anticipated. I especially love the posters who never read more than the first few lines of a thread before posting ignorance, you have NOT read the thread which includes my 2nd post located just below the first post.

“I always begin at the left with the opening word of the sentence and read toward the right and I recommend this method.” - James Thurber

Those who took this thread as a “white supremest” propaganda thread obviously could not psychologically move on from the original (carefully engineered with mis-spelling and all) to grasp what was clearly stated in the 2nd post. These hasty / assuming / judgmental / unforgiving posters are just a small part of what I was looking for. You will find these qualities are quite prevailing in your life which you will have to deal with in due time. Just as you flamed me (probably had a picture of some pasty skinned, blue-eyed, blond hair, Nazi didn't ya?) your intolerance is yet another issue which has to be dealt with if we are to truly combat and put an end to racism. The word of the day is tolerance. Here is a website I highly suggest you read and take to heart. Teaching Tolerance You have given my paper a characteristic richness. Read through the replies and you can see those glorious posts which proclaim the temporary ignorance all of us can experience form time to time.

“The only way to make sure people you agree with can speak is to support the rights of people you don't agree with." - Eleanor Holmes Norton

This is what I believe on the subject and I have been doing a comparative analysis of my thoughts with your own. I realize and agree that African-Americans have recently been oppressed and held back. However, today (last 5 years) I believe and feel that has changed, America has already spoken in regard towards this. Though I am not a Democrat, I celebrate the achievement of what Barack Obama has accomplished and I hope towards a better future for America under new guidance and direction. Everyone who wants to get an education and work hard to apply themselves regardless of race color or gender can succeed. All races and color have been enslaved at some point in history. It is time to learn from the past so as not to repeat mistakes and make changes within ourselves first, in order to bring about a better future for all. We need to stop dwelling in the past.

Everyone has had and will have a bad and hard time they have to endure, which most instances could be prevented with smarter decisions and actions (to some, lack of action). I am not comparing who has it worse off or easier. For those who are Bible thumpers, sin is sin. In the eyes of God, no sin is worse than others except for the “unforgivable sin”. Man creates and rates sin based off a society built, but personal modified moral scale of atrocity. (What I consider wrong and punishable may not be considered wrong and punishable to others and vice versa.)

MATTHEW 12: 31-32 "Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. And whoever shall speak a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age, or in the age to come".

This is in a U2U from an undisclosed ATS user on, 12/29/2008. “i don't think racism will end, probably shouldn't either. mediocrity always wins.”

I am opposed to any specific race or color history month. A few suggestions have been for an all-encompassing Diversity Month. I believe this is a great idea! Instead of singling out one specific group, include all.

“The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to the other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creatures that cannot.” - Mark Twain

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
WHITES HAVE ALREADY BENEFITED FROM EXCLUSIVELY WHITE AFFIRMATIVE ACTION POLICIES SINCE THE GENOCIDE OF THE NATIVE AMERICANS AND THE ENSLAVEMENT OF THE AFRICANS IN AMERICA, AT THE EXCLUSION OF ALL OTHER PEOPLE OF COLOR. FOR OVER 200 YEARS PEOPLE OF COLOR WERE NOT ALLOWED TO PARTICIPATE IN AMERICAN INSTITUTIONS IN ALL AREAS OF SOCIAL ACTIVITY. EVEN WHEN FINALLY ALLOWED IN, FACED GREAT RACIST & DISCRIMINATING RESISTANCE. ONLY WHITES WERE ALLOWED BY A POLICY OF WHITE ONLY AFFIRMATIVE ACTION THAT GAVE WHITES AN ADVANTAGE OVER ALL OTHER PEOPLE OF COLOR FOR OVER 200 YEARS.
BLACK HISTORY MONTH IS NEEDED BECAUSE AFRICANS WERE NOT ALLOWED TO KNOW THEIR HISTORY. MOST BLACK PEOPLE STILL DON'T KNOW THEIR HISTORY. THEY ARE ONLY TAUGHT YOURS. THEY KNOW NEXT TO NOTHING OF AFRICAN HISTORY.
SO IF ANYONE CAN SUGGEST THAT BLACK PEOPLE NEED A "HAND OUT" OR AFFIRMATIVE ACTION TO GET AHEAD SOLEY BASED ON THEIR RACE, OBVIOUSLY IS ONLY CAPABLE OF VIEWING LIFE FROM A EUROPEAN POINT OF REFERENCE. NO RACE HAS EVER BENEFITED FROM SUCH A POLICY MORE THAN THE CAUCASIAN.
IT IS IN FACT THE VERY REASON WHY OTHER PEOPLE OF COLOR MUST NOW BE GIVEN THOSE SAME ADVANTAGES THAT THEY MAY PARTICIPATE AND FINALLY BENEFIT FROM THE SOCIETY THEIR ANCESTORS WERE FORCED TO BUILD.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaxium

I used to support that notion but the fact is, the legal, educational and political bias in this country is overwhelmingly pro-white. An example: the media outlet I worked for many years very openly refused to hire nonwhite reporters until a few years ago and still practices discrimination, using a quota system to ensure that no more than a handful of editorial workers were nonwhite out of a staff of more than 100. Nonwhite applicants were offered $7.50-$10 an hour while whites were offered $11-14. Our department head even barred qualified black applicants in the company from applying for those positions while libeling other businesses suspected of the same practice. They even started a "diversity" internship program to hire nonwhite interns who they falsely represented as fulltime staffers to the public.

Of other companies for which I have worked part time, every single one of them openly practiced racial discrimination except Walmart and even they have lost federal suits over pay and promotion policies. I could not tell you how many times I have seen a white supervisor lie to a nonwhite applicant about job openings or throw their applications out. Or give them fewer hours or inferior jobs. I do not support quotas because I have seen supervisors intentionally hire or promote unqualified nonwhites to make them fail but the fact is, many companies will not practice integration without a legal watchdog.

The educational system in this country went to Mars with the Clintonista's anti-white "Multicultural" doctrine (DON'T get me started on that!) but if you read the average textbook for any age range, you can see how biased coverage is in favor of British/Northwestern Eurocentric history. Unless you are Irish, since we all know every single Irishman came over during the Famine and never, ever suffered discrimination. No Italian was ever lynched or changed their named to get a job either. Or a Jew. Black history when taught is often stereotyped at best and flat out wrong at worst, especially when taught by black radical instructors which exacerbates the problem. Except for the coolies, opium dens and Hirohito, Asian history started in 1945, very dangerous now since most Americans don't comprehend the history or mindset of the Middle East and Asia. Hispanic culture, well, they are all Mexican, Cuban or Puerto Rican, that's only one page since their culture hasn't had an impact since the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria except welfare and Caylee Anthony's "abduction." American Indians, wait, they all came over the Bering Strait in 1865 to rot on a reservation and drink themselves to death (incidentally, Indians are the only group it is legal in this country to discriminate against). Wait, we can't mention that, the Bering Strait is in Russia and someone will think we are communists. I think you see what I am getting at. This is the mentality I grew up in and which I have lived for three decades and I live in a somewhat "liberal" area.

Don't forget also, a hell of a lot of scholarships are given out to higher income whites but not to blacks or poor whites, there is a VERY good reason those funds exist. Let them be, they are the only way up for a lot of people who can't be exploited in sports programs and that's a whole other can of worms. Let's not even talk about the criminal "justice"
system, and yes, that is biased against poor whites too.

The entertainment industry in this country is getting marginally better since most networks have lifted restrictions on the number of identifiably nonwhite characters are allowed per show, but the roles are still horrible. Imagine being black or Mexican and all your peers on tv either speak gibberish, steal cars, slap hoes or act like Mammy.

When I went to elementary school in the 1970s I watched white teachers talk down to black students and not allow non-Christian students (we had a sizeable Muslim/Jewish student body) to participate in holiday events, not that the black kids even wanted to dress like Indians at Thanksgiving since that meant they did the grunt work at dinner anyway. Listening to white morons refuse to work on MLK Day each year only makes me more convinced that a lot of people in this country just don't get how deeply ingrained racism really is, our city just dropped its observance because of absentee protests. Somehow I just can't get as offended by honoring a person who fought violence with intellect and compassion for everybody. I say this as someone whose viewpoint used to be a lot less "liberal."

I don't think Obama was a great candidate but he's the only one with the color credibility to fix our image abroad and maybe get things fixed here to where we have better issues to worry about in four or eight years like creating divisive holidays.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy

Look, Even Christmas is a white holiday. They speak our English and worship the God we created.

Okay, now that is just stupid and grasping at straws. So blacks don't celebrate Christmas? Quanza is sooooo popular with black people, right?

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
There already is a white history, white scholarship, white etc....

It's called get up off your butt, stop making excuses, and do something with your life.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

We Need A White History Month, white college, and white scholorship funds Etc...

White History Month

We do All twelve of them!

white college

We did for most of Americas history they were 90% white

white scholorship funds

we do, so what if they created the United Negro College fund on their own
Where is this white scholorship fund? I would like to go to college for free but I'm white so I have to pat my way through with Loans. I maybe could AT THE MOST around 20,000 all together but that only covers a porton of my tuition. I'll even have to work as I go but if I was black, I'll just get a free ride.

Yeah, that's fair.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join