It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women genetically less intelligent than Men?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Firstly, I know I'm just a woman, but can we get the thread renamed so we spell intelligent correctly?...

Secondly, as someone else mentioned, genetically speaking, women have much hardier DNA, as we have XX, rather than XY chromosomes, so many diseases which affect men, don't affect us. Also, as someone else mentioned, women have more connections between our left and right hemispheres in the brain. I know we're talking about intelligence here, but what IS intelligence? It's firstly a combination of genetic and environmental factors, not one alone. And secondly, the actual main part of intelligence, is our ability to make connections, to learn, and make pathways in our brains. Women have "intuition" because we're much better able than men to make connections between apparently unrelated things, whether we do it consciously or not. We're also much better at picking up on things like nonverbal cues, and don't really have an issue with things like math and logic. I think honestly the fact that men perform better in those subjects are because they're expected to, and women, with our stronger connection to emotion and nuance, don't find math as interesting (on average) as men do. Math is simple, with rules, and structure and very little nuance until you get into very very advanced math. I think that's why many women don't find it interesting, because they're much more interested in the subtleties of life, which many men may fail to notice at all. The evidence suggests that women are actually more intelligent than men, and considering schooling is a relatively recent development, I doubt it's ever been enough to affect genetics. Evolution happens very slowly over eons, not a couple hundred years. If you look at more primitive societies, in a tribal atmosphere it's frequently that the women are the ones with power, and property, and who run the community, and men who simply hunt and gather.

There's no genetic evidence, no physical evidence, and very little logical or anecdotal evidence that could suggest women don't have as many, or far more, capabilities than men.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Buck Division

it is only sexist in the way it is talking of differences of the sexes. i suppose something is technically racist if it is discussing races. but not in the way you are implying. i took the OP as asking this:
Would thousands of years of women being denied the equal access to studies and knowledge,books/school, and what have you; cause a regression of the genes that are geared towards being an intelligence oriented creature. our enviroments do shape our minds and bodies over time, in the theory of evolution. so an enviroment that is non-condusive to being an intellectual being would affect the mind in some fundamental way. how is that sexist? he was suggesting that the traits would weaken just as moles being born blind because the eyes are not very important. since women were not offered an equal playing field at knowledge (not IQ, not problem solving and reasonmind you, but knowledge and schools etc.) the traits would form differently in them than men i think. is it racist to say that men are more naturally geared to be muscled up than a woman? NO. so what he is posing is not sexist either. now the view that women would digress is possibly a sexist idea, and i do not understand it. i think women would develop better problem solving skill and higher IQs because of the way men have denied them equal access to the knowledge, they would evolve to be better at understanding something they had no prior info to so as to level the field. is it racist to wonder if a group of people living around more predators than another group would develop better athletic ablilities to help them survive around said predators? or to ask if the race that wasn't around the predators would LOSE some of those athletic and reflexive skills over time because they were not needed as badly as other traits? because i don't understand how that is inherently racist, please explain. i am also passionate about my views on this, and i feel we are scared to discuss these ideas because people like you will call me racist or sexist.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Women have no souls!

They are just troublemakers.

Jesus said that the sole reason God created women in the first place was to provide company and service to men (1 Corinthians 11:9), God determined that men would be lonely living alone, so he created women purely to keep men company and serve their needs (Genesis 2:18-22). Women are therefore completely subordinate to men (1 Corinthians 11:3).

It stands to reason, though, that once men enter the Kingdom of Heaven, they will be one with God, and will no longer be lonely and in need of mortal companionship. Thus, the reason behind having women will no longer exist. Women, like the members of the animal kingdom, will fall by the wayside.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Inannamute
Firstly, I know I'm just a woman, but can we get the thread renamed so we spell intelligent correctly?...

Yeah.

Funny that it was a man that made the thread title

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by abovethegod

And, here is anecdotal evidence that men are insane.

So, I stand by my perception that the OP was not intending this to be a sexist issue, but some posting on this thread are bound and determined to make it one.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
The very fact that you posted this question indicates the obvious answer. Sorry.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by abovethegod

Was that meant as humor or sarcasm or did you actually mean that?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost147

good question, but i will probably get called names for the answer. i lived for a year and a 1/2 in a place that is basicly refered to as a ghetto. a five points district in a large city. homeless people were around me quite a bit. And "psychic Billy" as we called him was a black homeless man who would come by our house to wash our cars and tell us our futures for a coupla dolers every friday. we did not ridicule him or use him as an object of entertainment as it sounds. psychic billy was profound in so many ways, and we always looked forward to his visits, and it did not bother us that yes, he would ask for the money up front, go to the corner store and buy some thunderbird, then return to wash our cars and read our fortunes as he got buzzed. many many things he told us changed how we thought, he was brilliant, and more of his predictions came true than not.

god bless hiim, i hope he is still doing good.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid LunacyWas that meant as humor or sarcasm or did you actually mean that?

Judging by his nick and his avatar I doubt if he subscribes to the christian views on anything. It was sarcasm.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1

No, that was proof that religious men are insane

I don't agree with anything from that post and I am a boy.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Originally posted by Lucid LunacyWas that meant as humor or sarcasm or did you actually mean that?

Judging by his nick and his avatar I doubt if he subscribes to the christian views on anything. It was sarcasm.

Ah, good point and observation.

I hope it was sarcasm. And if it was, I apologize for making that assumption abovegod.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

No, that was proof that religious men are insane

I don't agree with anything from that post and I am a boy.

My bad.....I concede the point.

Religious men are insane.....most regular guys are
in my book. As long as they carry heavy objects and kill bugs of all kinds.

And, I doubt very seriously it was sarcasm, but if it was, I will apologize.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I am not in the mood to spend 20 minutes googling for more sources, I am tired. You want more sources, you do the googling.

Okay. Understood.

I've spent about 20 minutes of my own on this, even before I posted earlier, and haven't had too much luck. I keep reading things such as "dramatic increase", and "many times more likely" but have yet to see the actual statistics:

This link is cited often:

Household family structure and children's aggressive behavior.

After taking into account family income, urban area, and fourth-grade aggressive behavior, boys in both mother—father and mother—male partner families were significantly less likely than boys in mother-alone families to be rated as aggressive by teachers. No significant relations between family structure and teacher- or parent-rated aggression were found for girls.

What I have a problem with is "significantly less likely", which might mean a 2% or 5% difference only, which certainly is significant in a statistical sense, but isn't really very significant to society at large. Plus, it is "rated by teachers", which may not be a great indication of aggression towards other parts of society.

What also bothers me is that all of these google results all anti-divorce groups -- certainly meritorious in their objective of slowing down divorce rates, for sure. But that doesn't give them the right to distort and lie. I just want the cold truth.

Edit: Fix that URL!

[edit on 4-10-2008 by Buck Division]

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 10/4/2008 by Hal9000]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   

He is quoting the Bible and references old Catholic debates (whether women have a soul).

How many Christians choose demons for their avatar and select a nick like "abovethegod"?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost147

What ever man. Women that I know and have known are much smarter than their male counterparts. This is mocked over and over on Television, mocking reality. Remember Steel Magnolias?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Let's rewind time back before the feminist and sex age. Back then families were living in one roof and relationships were solid. Men worked to take care of their family and the women were the caregivers as Ghost or somebody pointed out. Now lets move along to the present age and see that this no longer or hardly applies. Today we see that women want the equal role and now the kids are left in the gutter without really much of a caregiver anymore. Women are so highstrung with their equal silly rights that they lost their true reason as to what they are here for. Now its even gone to far as to high divorce rates and new daddy's for the kiddies. It's like role the old car out and bring in the new model because I am bored with the old one. Or something like that.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   

He is quoting the Bible and references old Catholic debates (whether women have a soul).

How many Christians choose demons for their avatar and select a nick like "abovethegod"?

On this site or in general (the quoting part)?

I just don't get the feeling that he was being sarcastic....I also took into account his signature. But, I could be wrong....

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

No humour, baby! The Truth just makes you upset.

Do you want to hear more facts of life?

Women are fond of self-indulgence (Isaiah 32:9-11). They are silly and easily led into error (2 Timothy 3:6). They are subtle and deceitful (Proverbs 7:10; Ecclesiastes 7:26). They are zealous in promoting superstition and idolatry (Jeremiah 7:18; Ezekiel 13:17, 23). And they are active in instigating to iniquity (Numbers 31:15-16; 1 Kings 21:25; Nehemiah 13:26). It was the inherent weakness of women that led them to be deceived by Satan (Genesis 3:1-6; 2 Corinthians 11:3; 1 Timothy 2:14). Consequently, women were cursed from the start (Genesis 3:16). There is simply no room in heaven for such flawed and inadequate beings

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by chrhenn32

What is the true reason we are here? Honestly, what is the true reason women exist?

If we weren't meant to use our brains, then why do we have them in the first place?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I am a man and I am quite intelegant. My mother made me, and she is even smarter. So, my personal conclusion is the OP's question is old world thinking with little realistic merit if any. Meh, regardless, it doesn't change the fact that there are an abundance of very intelligent women.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join