It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women genetically less intelligent than Men?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost147

based on that i think the mutation (evolution) would cause them (women) to have a better chance at having a high IQ, not a loweer one. if a region is sparse in water, the animals there do not evolve to be more thirsty (i.e. require more water) or if flooding is common, they (the animals in that region) do not get worse and worse at climbing trees....does that not make sense? i don't see how you could put a different spin on it. i have explained how creatures adapt, not regress. if anything women would evolve in a manner to compete with our muscle, what beter way to do that than to be smarter? years from now men will not be able to compete with women intellectually IMO.

[edit on 4-10-2008 by Enigma Publius]

[edit on 4-10-2008 by Enigma Publius]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by johnmajor

You make me wonder if men aren't as intelligent due to the Cave Man mentality.

Women can do fine just on their own. We have brains and can support ourselves, better ourselves, and live our lives without the input of a man.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost147and i completely agree. But wouldnt the past neglect altered the brains percentage of use somewhat? obviously not in all women.

once again i dont see this in actual life, but merely think that because of the lack of learning in the past years could have some sort of effect.

I see your point and am hard pressed to argue with you on it, but as Sonya610 pointed out, women will not have been the only ones to have suffered from this since, throughout history, women have been the primary nurturers and caregivers... so it would seem to be the correct answer that women's percentage of brain use may have decreased, but no more than a man's percentage.

Again, when comparing men and women, most people don't realize it is like comparing apples and oranges. Apples and oranges are both fruits, yes, but they are very different still.

An understanding of the genders' different natures should be (yes) reintroduced to society and each should feel secure and in fact, be encouraged to fulfill their natural roles w/out competition to prove to the other or control the other.

[edit on 4-10-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Seemingly pointless topic with a sexist view however I would like to chime in and say if you tie the scoring of Intelligence to things like Inventions, IQ, Fault finding and/or Problem solving ability and aptitude then its rigged from the onset.

You could in fact base intelligence on things like the ability to diagnose a child's illness or detect when the child is ill, or to determine another individuals emotion from just an expression then the tables are turned on males.

If you include the following "dumb" things such as..
The intelligence to wage war for profit
The intelligence to Rape
The intelligence to Murder
The intelligence to torture.... I could go on but is it possible that its safe to say these are traits of males alone ? if so then perhaps some points need to be deducted in general off Male Intelligence if you get my drift

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritusThe University of Western Ontario psychologist reached his conclusion after scrutinising the results of university aptitude tests taken by 100,000 students aged 17 and 18 of both sexes.

His study is SERIOUSLY flawed! This guy is obviously not that bright. He based his study on UNIVERSITY APTITUDE TESTS! That means all of the males with lower intelligence did NOT make the study and they were conveniently taken OUT of the results. Guys with an i.q. of 85 are not going to be applying to major universities!

If he had studied the entire population, and not just chosen the ones with an above average iq to start with, he would have gotten very different results.

[edit on 4-10-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
Male iq varies a lot more than female iq. Males are more likely to be geniuses, and more likely to be retarded.

Correct.

Also, I believe men tend to be more math/science orientated, while women tend to be more creative/artistic. Both categories can be considered intelligence. Mozart was considered to be a genius, and he was an artist.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1You make me wonder if men aren't as intelligent due to the Cave Man mentality.

Women can do fine just on their own. We have brains and can support ourselves, better ourselves, and live our lives without the input of a man.

Women CAN, but is that REALLY better? I CAN and AM raising two sons on my own, but I will be the first to admit that having a partner I could trust and rely on to meet the needs that can be best met by a man would be ideal. Unfortunately, thanks to the femi-natzi movement, men have started objectifying women and it makes it hard to find a REAL man... because they have given up trying to find a REAL woman.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnmajor
seriously though women have evolved to have the brain power to measure the correct amount of washing powder needed in a washing machine, paint there faces and make a loaf of bread. if us men were not here they would not have a clue what to do.

thank you soo much for keeping the load off of me on this topic, cause now everyone is going to focus on you.

including me, for i think your in idiot.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mazzroth

i think your post is sexist, not the OP, he said form the outset that he knew people would say what you just did, but hey, think of the actual question....it is very valid to wonder what would happen geneticly from past lack of learning. but you come in with a post that brings the sexist part into the equation, which is what we were trying to avoid. BOO!

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
can someone please explain how women would geneticly falter instead of getting mutations to better help them bridge the gap thus ensuring survival? from what i know about evolution, mutation tend to try and help adapt. no one has addressed this yet. like i said, if a region has constant flooding the animals there don't get worse at climbing trees.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1

But without a man, your life is technically pointless since the whole point of being alive is carrying your genes down to the next generation, and fortunately for us human males, human females aren't asexual yet.

-LS

[edit on 4-10-2008 by LogicalSolution]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Nature can afford to throw the dice and risk having more stupid males to turn out a few genius males because the males that are superior can effectively share their genes among several females.

If 50% of the male population is unsuitable for whatever reason (or even killed off via war or whatever) the species is fine as long as the breeding female population remains in tact. If 50% of the females were killed off, or unable to successfuly raise offspring because of low iq that would be a big problem for the survival of the species.

Males are simply a lot more expendible, so nature can take more risks and allow more deviation with the male iq.

[edit on 4-10-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mazzroth

Uhg im not being sexist! if anyone is its johnmajor. im simply asking a question because it seems that it could be resonably correct. however i do not believe the either gender is more intelligent then the other.

and all those points you made women have also done. obviously the majority is man, but you cant simply rule out women just because of the large majority. which in turn, would be sexist.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Intelligence is inherent, not 'learned'.

Such an old argument 'men more intelligent than women'

And IQ tests ?

The only valid 'test' is Life itself

And, thrown into the test of life, if women WERE less intelligent than men, then women would have died out eons ago.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma

Women CAN, but is that REALLY better? I CAN and AM raising two sons on my own, but I will be the first to admit that having a partner I could trust and rely on to meet the needs that can be best met by a man would be ideal. Unfortunately, thanks to the femi-natzi movement, men have started objectifying women and it makes it hard to find a REAL man... because they have given up trying to find a REAL woman.

It isn't a matter of being better; it is a matter of FACT. There was a time where women like you and women like my mother could not have done what you and she are doing/did. Not only was frowned upon by society, but it was actually impossible due to the lack of opportunities that women had.

I had a single mother, too, and she was wonderful. Smart and strong and self sufficient and supportive. Would it have been nice for her to have a man to be there for her and support her and help her? Of course. But the point I was making is that she didn't NEED it. She did it on her own because she was ABLE to....she was able to go to college after her divorce, use that degree to get a good job that supported her and me. She probably wouldn't have been able to do that even 50 years ago.

Men and women are different, sure. Men have their strengths, physical and mental. Women have their strengths, physical and mental. But, do men have a genetic component that make them more INTELLIGENT or SMARTER (common sense) than women? Or, can both men and women reach the same levels of intelligence given the same set of circumstances (lifestyle, parents, environment), the same opportunities (education, culture) and the same level playing field?

I think the latter is more true than the former.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogicalSolution

But without a man, your life is technically pointless since the whole point of being alive is carrying your genes down to the next generation, and fortunately for us human males, human females aren't asexual yet.

-LS

[edit on 4-10-2008 by LogicalSolution]

We don't actually need the actual man to do that; we just need the swimmers.

I'm just saying, if you want to get technical and all......

Sure, some things might be hardwired when we are born, but circumstances and environment have more to do with one's intelligence than genetics do.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogicalSolution
fortunately for us human males, human females aren't asexual yet.

unfortunatly thats not the case with jesus' mom. lol just kidding! dont go into that subject!

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Well heres something written on it at least
and I will be digging up a bit more:

www.healingtides.net...

Tell me Dr. Amen, why do men need 100 grams more brain tissue to get the same things done as women." It has been estimated that women have a greater number of cellular connections than men. As mentioned, each nerve cell is connected to other nerve cells through synaptic connections, typically, a woman has more of these connections. Men tend to be more left sided in their approach to life, while women tend to use both sides more often then men. This is very important in helping us u nderstand the differences between men and women. In language, men tend to be totally left sided, more detail oriented, and more directly to the point. Women, more often than not, use both sides, tend to be more fluent, which may be why they have more to say. When husbands and wives get into arguments their brain hemisphere activation styles often make problems worse. Because women use more words, men often become overwhelmed in disagreements and say insensitive things like "what's the point," or "specifically what do you want." These statements infuriate women and make communication even tougher. They know the point, they just have a harder time articulating it succinctly due to the extra input from the right side.

And the size being slightly different in men is being stated as due to the larger muscle and body mass needing more cells, not attributed to intelligence!

www.dawn.com...

1. Brain size: Human male brains are, on average, approximately ten per cent larger than female, but this is because of men’s larger body size; more muscle cells imply more neurons to control them.

2. Number of cells: Men have four per cent more brain cells than women, and about 100 grams more of brain tissue.

3. Cellular connections: Even though a man seems to have more brain cells, it is reported that women have more dendritic connections between brain cells.

4. Corpus collosum size: Women can transfer data between the right and left hemisphere faster than men. Men tend to be more left brained, while women have greater access to both sides.

5. Language: For men, language is most often just in the dominant hemisphere (ninety percent the left side), but women are able to use both sides for language. This gives them a distinct advantage. If a woman has a stroke in the left front side of the brain, she may still retain some language from the right front side. Men who have the same left sided damage are less likely to recover as fully.

6. Limbic size: This determines bonding and nesting instincts. Women have larger limbic systems than men. This, however, has advantages as well as disadvantages. Due to the larger deep limbic brain women are more in touch with their feelings and are more expressive and open than men (societal pressure on man to be emotionally stronger also affects this aspect).

Women are closer and connected to others (which is why moms are the primary caretakers for children in all societies). Females have a more acute sense of smell, which is likely to have developed from an evolutionary need for the mother to recognize her young. The downside of large limbic size is that women are somewhat more susceptible to depression, especially at times of significant hormonal changes. Women attempt suicide three times more than men. [Yet, men kill themselves three times more than women, in part, because they use more violent means of killing themselves (women tend to use overdoses with pills while men tend to either shoot or hang themselves). Moreover, men are generally less connected to others than are women. Disconnection from others increases the risk of completed suicides.

7. Inferior-parietal lobule (IPL):This is a brain region in the cortex (the cortex is responsible for the higher intellectual and cognitive functions of the brain), significantly larger in men than in women. Furthermore, the left side IPL is larger in men than the right side. This is the same area, which was shown to be larger in the brain of Albert Einstein, as well as in other physicists and mathematicians. So, it seems that IPL’s size correlates highly with mental mathematical abilities.

Differences in processing language, emotion, perception, etc.

Men and women estimate time, judge speed of things, carry out mental mathematical calculations, orient in space, visualize objects in three dimensions and process language in strikingly different ways. This may be the reason whey there are many more male mathematicians, airplane pilots, bush guides, mechanical engineers, architects and racecar drivers than female ones.

Women are better than men in human relations, recognizing emotional overtones in others and in language, emotional and artistic expressiveness, esthetic appreciation, verbal language and carrying out detailed and pre-planned tasks. For example, women generally can recall lists of words or paragraphs of text better than men.

When it comes to empathizing, women tend to be higher than males in verbal skills, social skills and security-seeking, while men tend to be higher in independence, dominance, spatial and mathematical skills, and rank-related aggression.

Two areas in the frontal and temporal lobes related to language (the areas of Broca and Wernicke, named after their discoverers) were significantly larger in women, thus providing a biological reason for women’s notorious superiority in language-associated thoughts.

Men have more neurons in the cerebral cortex, whereas women have a more developed neuropil, or the space between cell bodies, which contains synapses, dendrites and axons, and allows for communication among neurons. This research may explain why women are more prone to dementia (such as Alzheimer’s disease) than men, because although both may lose the same number of neurons due to the disease, in men, the functional reserve may be greater as a larger number of nerve cells are present, which could prevent some of the functional losses.

So who is superior?

Do these differences mean a superiority/inferiority relationship between men and women?

No, most scientists won’t agree with this. To say that men are automatically better at some things than women (or vice versa) is a sweeping statement. Women are good at math and physics and men do excel in language skills. Neuroscience has made great strides in the ninetees regarding the discovery of concrete, scientifically proved anatomical and functional differences between the brains of men and women. While this knowledge could in theory be used to justify prejudice against women, this should not be allowed o happen.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1

We don't actually need the actual man to do that; we just need the swimmers.

Perhaps, but if today's society is any indication, then the offspring needs the man, if you don't.

Fatherless children frequently grow up to become criminals, and other behavorial problems. Lack of discipline, no fatherly figure, whatever the cause or reason, it's a true statistic.

-LS

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
John Major. Yes that was a fine specimen of Man.

Some men are pretty stooopid. Some women are pretty stoopid. The average (IQ) of global intelligence is 97 so nothing to write home about.

Please consider that men have a chromosome that is "impaired" (XY as opposed to XX. Men have a bit missing that would make the Y an X).

All embryos start out with female characteristics. Testosterone makes them male, physically.

It is rubbish to suggest that women are inferior to men. They are different to men in many ways but men and women are supposed to COMPLEMENT one another. They WON'T have the same skillsets as that would be ridiculous and rather redundant.

[edit on 4/10/08 by Lebowski achiever]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join