It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US general warns Russia on nuclear bombers in Cuba

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet
The Russian's would be very dumb to Nuke or threaten a Nuclear assault on the US.

They know full-well our Nuclear Subs would be on stand-by to turn the Continent into glass.

Russia is trying to put pressure on the US in fear that the US is going to attack Iran. The US won't have to as Israel will probably do that anyway.

The Star Wars missle defense is what killed the Russian economy trying to keep up that. The result was the break-up of Russia.

Good thing China hasn't started throwing their weight around yet by moving into Eastern Russia for Oil and mineral resources. Russia will be looking to the US for support.

[edit on 22-7-2008 by jetxnet]

LOL you act like their subs are trash, they have the exact same capability.
They will turn our country into glass. I cant wait to see the crying when the missles fly. I keep seeing people saying this is chest beating over and over. Now we are returning to the cuban missle crisis. Yeah thats chest beating alright.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

I think you're spot on on most, if not all, of your points. That's consistent with my understand of it as well.

For my own [selfish] point-of-view, I really hope this doesn't happen. Cuba is 90 miles to my north. And northwest. And northeast. My Bride and I have talked many times about our response should we happen to spy a bright flash on the horizon. We don't fancy living in a cave (having spent two days for Hurricane Ivan), but we feel pretty blessed that we have a cave to run to. Nothing like 20 feet of rock over your head and 40 feet below to make a person feel ........... safe. Factor in a www.ki4u.com... Kearney Radiation Fallout Meter, two old radmeters, and two Israeli ABC masks and unused (please, God, let it always be so) filters, plus a plethora of survival goods and........ best of all ........... skills and knowledge, I think we're as safe as we can be.

Doesn't most of this remind you all of two dogs, walking stiff-legged, hackles raised, each one daring the other to sniff their butts? It does me.

STAND DOWN! PLEASE don"t push the barrier; it is held up by the most fragile clevis pins imaginable -- it can pivot, but even a modicum of pressure will turn it loose. Choose life.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
The Russians are the only nation with the fire power and balls to stop the US dead in its tracks, and they are no fools. Do they want revenge for the cold war? Possibly.

Is this all about defensive and offensive tactics? I don't think so.

So, are we not being mislead here? Does this not signal the end of the so-called 'war on terror'? Is there a bigger picture at play? Why is it that the 'war on terror' (that has us terrorised just as much) appears to be loosing momentum - where is the terror? The Taliban, Al Queda, etc. Why all of a sudden is the Cold War (it appears or is perceived) starting to gain momentum? Coincidence?

What was it again?
Communism, Terrorism, Astroids, Extraterrestrial intelligence (if you wish to believe all that).

If the Russians and Americans really wanted to lumber up to a Cold War, wouldn't it not be located over the Bering strait between Siberia and Alaska?

Why drag everyone else into it? Is there another ulterior motive at play here - a ball that we should all keep our eyes on this time?

Breifne

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Memysabu

They will turn our country into glass. I cant wait to see the crying when the missles fly.

Then you are a Goddamn fool. Kiss everything you hold dear goodbye, if they do. You don't have a clue what you wish for, but I do, and many people who have been bloodspattered do.

Congratulate yourself, little one. You finally pushed the right button, the one that earns me a deserved censure from this site. I would've thought a month ago that that was impossible. Savor the flavor, and pray to whatever or whomever you align yourself with that you flippant, juvenile remarks don't come to fruition. I hope this for you. I hope this for us all.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
All this debate about the nature of offensive versus defensive ordinance is irrelevant. What matter is the balance of power. Russia is just reminding the USA that, though they may be able to neutralize Russia's missile deterrent, they have other means of retaliation and will hit back if they are attacked. A missile shield gives the USA a first strike capability without fear of retaliation, something the Russians have every right to worry about.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Don't take that comment the wrong way Argentis.

I was just quoting what a Chinese General told Bill Clinton back in 1996! The General stated that if Clinton doesn't move the carrier group onward away from China (after China shot empty missles near Taiwan during election) that China would turn LA into Glass. Find it on the web.

Don't be so sensative.

The cold war is heating up again because Russia has renewed economic life. With all the weapons China has bought from them, literally repowered their economy.

We build China's economy and they built Russias and now we have to deal with that again.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
The above poster i think is right.Its not about only about who puts what where.Its also attitude,since they had a huge ego blow when they lost the cold war and the economy went down the drain.We saw the country for what it was.Mostly a country of bluffs,military lies,and secrets that just weren't true.

Seems since only we are the ones falling now and maybe they have a chance at redemption.Anyways like i said...i NEVER was for this stupid missile shield....i think Bush made this country a piece of crap with everything.Now we are the ones under the gun and in the crosshairs.I wished people would stop seeing the us citizens through the dang eyes of George Bush.I think myself Bush was trying to move towards world domination and its backfiring.Just my opinion.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

I completely agree with you. I wasn't trying to imply that the American people deserved this, I was trying to say that with everything that is going on, and what GWB has done, I don't really see Russia as having any other options. They need to make sure that if push comes to shove, that they can and will make sure they have a deterrent in place.

I really wish this was unnecessary, I just don't see this president or either of the candidates doing anything to help the situation. And the people that will pay for it seem to be letting it happen. Too many people think that the missile shield is a good idea, and this is what happens.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

I wished people would stop seeing the us citizens through the dang eyes of George Bush

Well, thats exactly what you guys are lumbered with until Jan 09. This is what Americans just cannot figure out - why everyone hates us!

Bush is the elected leader of the USA (in many people's eyes) and therefore, when he is screwing up on national tv, most people are thinking of gun tooting red necks that do not know where Alaska is, have no education or passport, and have a gas guzzling machine that takes them to their oil plant every day whilst driving by the last glacier.

Of course, 'many people's eyes' do not mean mine.

When I was last in the States, no - one knew where Alaska was and everyone had a gun.

Seriously though, a country's leader manifests people's perceptions about the country and all within it.

Breifne

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   

When I was last in the States, no - one knew where Alaska was and everyone had a gun.

Wow, who is talking down to who now? Please do not visit the US again, you obviously would rather bash it.

If you were at a party and talked such garbage here in the US, you'd be wearing your ass for a hat my friend.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet
Don't take that comment the wrong way Argentis.

On the contrary, I think I took it exactly as you meant it. "I can't wait........." Hopefully you will have to wait. Hopefully, your cheery little wish for the world will be on hold. ......and it's ArgentUs. Easy mistake to make.

I was just quoting what a Chinese General told Bill Clinton back in 1996! The General stated that if Clinton doesn't move the carrier group onward away from China (after China shot empty missles near Taiwan during election) that China would turn LA into Glass. Find it on the web.

Baloney. (see, I am calmer now. Enjoy your having found the proper buttons. It won't happen again. ) NOBODY told Bill Clinton in 1996 that they "can't wait to see the birds fly or "cant wait to see the crying when the birds fly" and if they did THEY are a DAMNED FOOL as well.

Don't be so sensative.
SensItive. I am just the opposite. Densensitized. I think people need to be called out on their mindless remarks. You get to own that remark. Do I think you really mean it? NO. So why say it? See above invective.

The cold war is heating up again because Russia has renewed economic life. With all the weapons China has bought from them, literally repowered their economy.
Agree. Now we are having a conversation of substance.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Dear owner of this site. Can I please tell everyone here who thinks 10 missiles from a anti-ICBM system threatens Russia witch has over one thousand nuclear missiles what I really think of their IGNORANCE?

I live in Florida and do not want some rusty Russian clunker flying anywhere near my state with a nuclear weapon, Not be cause they are dumb enough to use one its just that we do not need nuclear weapons in our waters after they crash.

How many nuclear subs are off the coast of Russia and the United States right now from each country? End of discussion because they can launch and hit their targets in fifteen minutes. Who cares about a slow bomber especially with six air bases in Florida and CENTCOM were it would be totally impossible for anything to get through our defenses?

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

I think you raise a good point in regard to the missile defense vs. offensive missiles.

I think you might be a tweak off the mark characterizing Russian aircraft as rusty hulks (I forget the exact word you used, just paraphrasing). I think their aircraft is every bit that of anyone else's. Would they send their best to Cuba? ummmmm. Maybe not. Perhaps a sacrificial anode?

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
Oh, so now it's "don't step!" from us when we've been steppin' this whole time! Talk about hypocrisy! I don't blame the General here, he is just doing his job, but the Bushy's, to put him in this spot, is just lame!

[edit on 22-7-2008 by pluckynoonez]

This is not aimed toward Russia, it never was. Russia permitting their crappy bombers to fly to Cuba, would be directed at the US. So the two are not comparable.

If you bothered to read the entire article, you would have deciphered that the US has even said Russia could work along side, as well as the EU, in developing a missile shield to protect our friends and allies.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I did mean that comment though Argentus. If Russia were to Nuke the US mainland, we would retaliate and literally turn their contienent into glass.

We have the ability to do so, not that I want it to happen, but Russia should be completely be aware of such consequences for their actions.

The missle defense system is in its infancy. Poland signed on to have it. Russia used to have control of Poland. Poland no longer has to fear Russia's strong-arming.

Russia is doing what a desparate nation would do.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

I agree with everything you just said. Russia knows the consequences of a first strike, as does the U.S. Nobody wins, missile defense or not. There are plenty of other avenues, and green-glassing of just primary targets, combined with EMP would be sufficient to stone-age either side.

I think you feel bad about the statement that set me off.

I cant wait to see the crying when the missles fly
. You can sidestep it if you want. I don't think you're a bad person, and your subsequent comments indicate some insight and intelligence. I choose to believe that you didn't mean what I just quoted, that it was an offhand poor attempt at humor. Know this: Things like that strike into the heart of people like me who think the prospect of hundreds of thousands or millions of lives lost in an instant are no laughing matter.

I think we're on a compatible page now, friend. I have said flippant things before too. I hope to be called on them; then maybe I will think twice before I post such a thing again. Thermonuclear anihlation doesn't have any irony, no double entendre, absolutely zero prejuidice. It just kills, and kills effectively, and keeps on giving.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Some of you have failed to remember that Russia has a right to be touchy about military prowess on its borders, its been invaded all the way to Moscow .... twice. You would get very twitchy if you have been in the same position.

As for the missile shield, it is for the US's protection and the US only, park the dammed thing in your backyard, not in Europes.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Bring it on.
Let's kill all the Homo sapiens sapiens because frankly, the planet is better off without us.

Alternatively, kill off all the imperialist genocide-denying yankee dogs because they are smug in their false superiority and I, for one, am sick of their antics.

And yes, I know they're not the only ones, hence my opening sentence.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

Very well said Wotan. That's my wish as well. No reason to involve other less defensible nations into a superpower conflict. As AlienStar said, and I agree, I also was never in favor of this missile defense system. All it does is to further the drawing of the lines of conflict. A country doesn't have to be a superpower either to have a potential to wreak utter havoc on a nation. Any nation with nuclear weapons and missile delivery systems can do the job. It's a matter of degrees. Total destruction vs. partial and the difference might be measured in how long it takes the target nation to once again be a global threat.

Cheers all. I'm out for a while. There are stars and planets to see, people to hug, cats to pet.

Be well

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Well said Argentus and I agree with that as well .. noone wants the worst unless you are a radical religious extremist who thinks chaos must happen before the second coming of the IMAM.

Bottom line, the one who blinks first loses. Sometimes its good to blink first, but if you're dealing with opposition that is hellbent on your destuction, you certainly have to defend yourself as well.

As for the missile shield, it is for the US's protection and the US only, park the dammed thing in your backyard, not in Europes.

Tell that to Poland or even Japan then.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join