It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist: Humans Can See Into Future

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   

www.foxnews.com

Humans can see into the future, says a cognitive scientist.

It's nothing like the alleged predictive powers of Nostradamus, but we do get a glimpse of events one-tenth of a second before they occur.

And the mechanism behind that can also explain why we are tricked by optical illusions.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Visit the above link for more information.

Is this what we usually call Deja'vu?. I always belived that Deja'vu happens because the vision goes faster than the brain. But does that mean that when we are having Deja'vu we are actually seeing the future? or is a totally different thing?

Regards

www.foxnews.com

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paulite

www.foxnews.com

Humans can see into the future, says a cognitive scientist.

It's nothing like the alleged predictive powers of Nostradamus, but we do get a glimpse of events one-tenth of a second before they occur.

And the mechanism behind that can also explain why we are tricked by optical illusions.

Nostradamus is nonsense. But I, Straight Razor, can easily predict the future. In 2020 the headlines will be:

China Threatens to invade Taiwan
Suicide bombers kill Several in Israel
The Economy is getting better
Al Quada Leadership Weakened
Morton Downey Jr. Held On Drug Charges
Morgan Fairchild Shows off All Her Wrinkles
Elvis Spotted In A Velvet Picture Botique

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Deja vu is the feeling that you've had the same experience in the past, not that you're going to have it in the future.

This minute precognition exists in many of the bodies functions, even the sense of touch. an interesting experiment was featured in the film "what the bleep do we know" that touched on this very subject.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Straight Razor

gotta give it to you, my predictive capabilities produced the exact same headlines!

But you forgot about the "Britney Spears faces another custody hearing on 6th child" headline.

[edit on 6/2/2008 by Unit541]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unit541
reply to post by Straight Razor

gotta give it to you, my predictive capabilities produced the exact same headlines!

But you forgot about the "Britney Spears faces another custody hearing on 6th child" headline.

[edit on 6/2/2008 by Unit541]

I would have included her but I don't follow such things.... to be funny one needs accurate material....

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paulite
I always belived that Deja'vu happens because the vision goes faster than the brain.

What do you mean by this?

Our vision is created in the brain, how can it go faster than itself?

Déjà vu is more likely a memory glitch where your brain remembers something you saw seconds ago and recalls it, but doesn't remember when the memory happened. The feeling of being in that situation or place before is not real, thus the confusion you feel.

People with anxiety disorders and schizophrenia often have increased déjà vu experiences, so it could possibly just be a chemical in-balance problem.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

I'm sorry I was wrong, I remembered reading somewhere in the past the the brain process the information faster than the vision therefore when you are experiencing deja'vu basically you are experiencing something that seems familiar to you and this is because your brain already processed it.
"In the late 20th and early 21st Centuries, it was widely believed that déjà vu could be caused by the mis-timing of neuronal firing. This timing error was thought to lead the brain to believe that it was encountering a stimulus for the second time, when in fact, it was simply re-experiencing the same event from a slightly delayed source. A number of variations of these theories exist, with miscommunication of the two cerebral hemispheres and abnormally fast neuronal firing also given as explanations for the sensation."
From Wikipedia

My first statement was incorrect.

Sorry for my English, is not my first language.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Isnt this because our eyes only see things at a certain FPS, than the true FPS? So wouldnt this mean our eyes are already seeing things, however, our brains are not allowing us to 'see'/acknowledge it until later?

If that makes no sense, I apologize.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Paulite

Another theory being explored is that of vision. As the theory suggests, one eye may record what is seen fractionally faster than the other, creating that "strong recollection" sensation upon the "same" scene being viewed milliseconds later by the opposite eye. However, this one fails to explain the phenomenon when other sensory inputs are involved, such as the auditive part, and especially the digital part. If one, for instance, experiences déjà vu of someone slapping the fingers on his/her left hand, then the déjà vu feeling is certainly not due to his/her right hand to be late on the left one. Also, persons with only one eye still report experiencing déjà vu or déjà vecu. The global phenomenon must therefore be narrowed down to the brain itself (say, one hemisphere would be late compared to the other one).

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I have dreamed of things days, sometimes weeks, before they happened. Always mundane parts of my life like, for example, drying dishes with my mom when I was around 10-11. Riding my bike down a certain path in the woods. Never anything good like the lotto numbers or anything...
The actual event happens exactly like in the dream. When I realized I was experiencing my dream, I would always try to change the outcome, do something different so it wouldn't be the same.
So, yes, I believe there is a mechanism for seeing into the future.

[edit on 2-6-2008 by TheComte]

[edit on 2-6-2008 by TheComte]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Déjà vu
is the experience of feeling sure that one has witnessed or experienced a new situation previously (an individual feels as though an event has already happened or has repeated itself).

Jamais vu
the opposite of Déjà vu.

Presque vu
also known as "tip of the tongue".

L'esprit de l'escalier
from French, "staircase wit", is remembering something when it is too late.

All are related and have been attributed to various states at one time or another.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Straight Razor
Nostradamus is nonsense. But I, Straight Razor, can easily predict the future. In 2020 the headlines will be:

China Threatens to invade Taiwan
Suicide bombers kill Several in Israel
The Economy is getting better
Al Quada Leadership Weakened
Morton Downey Jr. Held On Drug Charges
Morgan Fairchild Shows off All Her Wrinkles
Elvis Spotted In A Velvet Picture Botique

Nice one! Sad thing is, it's probably true!

Back on track, I have had instances of seeing the future, and I think we all do at one point or another in our lives, whether we consciencely know it or not. It feels extremely creepy when you know that you have seen the events happening before you, that you drempt of just sever nights before. I dont know what causes it, but its cool!

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
We've all experienced it. We might call it coincidence or Deja Vu, yet so often we refuse to accept the possibility that we may actually be bringing this so-called "coincidence" into existence. Is it really such a preposterous idea?

Consider this:

What happens if you discover something that no one else has? The very concept of "discovery" assumes that what you're discovering already exists. But what if it doesn't? It could be a brand new thought, yet it makes so much sense to us that it must be true. Through this mechanism we're involved in the creation process. Our discovery just has to make sense at the fundamental (mathematical) level in order to be manifest. That way it fits into reality.

One way to explain it might be summed up like this: We're on the leading edge of creation.

IMO anyway.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I have dreamed of things days, sometimes weeks, before they happened.

Uhh.. the article has nothing to do with deja vu. It's talking about our visual system compensating for neural delays.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I think the (simplified) model goes something like this:

Your sensor (eyeball, ear, etc) gets an input.
The data travels to your brain.
Your brain processes and filters the data.
The data is sent to your conscious mind and you become aware of it.
The data is stored in memory.

In a Deja-vu they theorize that there is a short-circuit and the last two steps are reversed. The data goes into your memory and then into your conscious mind. When you become aware of something and scan your memory for a match you find it already there making you think that you have seen it before.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
naah...

"A Deja Vu is usually a glitch on the Matrix... it happens when they change something."

Seriously though, one-tenth of a second? That's nothing...

I think the guys in that project "web-bot" are more into something...

Human mind is just unexplainable by itself, since TIME only exists in our mind, it's just a matter of it (time) until we find out how to break throught this non-existing barrier called "the future".

Peace

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Nah, this is what is referred to as free will. You have a tenth of a second to say your prayers and kiss your a** goodbye if it's life threatening.

Just like some animals might leave their bodies before they die. I could see this as also a reminder of a dream premonition and your matrix prorgam. Maybe the glitch is whether or not we remember our dream to change the outcome of an alternate reality.Remote Viewing makes much larger claims though. I wonder how they came to this conclusion anyway.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
No one here seems to have mentioned anything about the soul....

I believe Deja'vu and other things such as ESP, Remote viewing, etc, have alot to do with the soul. The soul, I believe is the 'gem' of the human body and mind which is not bound by ANY physical laws.. your soul travels when you dream, it can also travel faster than the speed of light. You can think of dreaming as a different reality.. a "subconscious" reality if you wish. And it has NOTHING to do with religion.. just your belief and and spirituality.

Deja'vu is not a "glitch" in the matrix.. as one person mentioned in a movie..lol its simply reminiscing what your soul or subconscious mind has seen in the past and coming back to that particular event, place, etc.

[edit on 2/6/08 by MASH_DADDY]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Scientist will uncover more and more as they dig deeper, just you watch. As tools and research techniques go nano and then quantum, we will discover things such as this. I personally believe the next big event will be the discovery of communication signals between worlds. These will come about as learn more about quantum entanglement or spookey interaction at a distance.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join