It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forest on Mars !?!?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Hmmm so you don't know... its PROBABLY just dust... and the Winds of Mars have the ability to sort sand and dust into various colors and place them so that they look like lakes...

It's obvious that I do not know, I have never been to Mars (as far as I am aware of it) so I can only speak about what those things may be.

And yes, Mars winds have the hability to sort sand and dust in the same way Earth winds have that hability, not because of their colours but because of the size of the particles and their density, as you probably know.

Seeing as you did not comment on that one being dust, I logically assume that you know full well that it is indeed a lake with frozen di-hydrogen oxide that at least for short periods will warm enough to thaw.
I don't know if that is a frozen water lake, but I think that it probably is.

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaPI don't know if that is a frozen water lake, but I think that it probably is.

LOL there you go... now that wasn't so hard was it?

To Blue Bird:

I just finished the Nazi saucer/alternate technology section so I can now put together the Martian Water collection pages.. Any particular avatar you want to use?

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
I just finished the Nazi saucer/alternate technology section so I can now put together the Martian Water collection pages.. Any particular avatar you want to use?

Great!

Thx. Avatar Yees...Suprise me!

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Sprry, there is no snow on Mars. If there was, we'd all be living there. For snow to fall down on, it can't be too warm and it can't be too cold. It falls at somewhat a temperature of 0°C to -5°C MAX. The last time I checked, Mars' temperature was higher than that. A lot higher than that.

Ummm I would suggest you check again... Mars is a lot LOWER than that LOL gets cold enough for carbon dioxide to freeze and fall like snow at the poles... and the rovers have detected summer temperatures on the ground as high as +81 F

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkyWay
It would help in determining if there are forests on Mars if the original photos were in color. If we can take satellite photos of Earth in color we should have color photos of Mars.

We do have color photos of Mars... just have to look in the right places

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski
For WOGIT: Google Mars Some of the ESA photos over the last year or so do show "green" in Valles Marinaris. Too bad the pixel per meter count is so low.

Ummm that "green" is colored in Its a topography relief Says so above the picture
"A shaded relief map color-coded by altitude"

Nice try

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by zeeon
We, of this website, obviously have open minds, or we wouldn't be here.

That is a rediculous statement I have seen many here that certainly do not have an open mind and go to great lengths to tell other people they are wrong. As to wasting time, I am really quite sure I can decide myself how best to spend my time.
And since NASA scientist who are paid to speculate on the images they see do the same thing we do, and even post images with cute names the same as we do, who are YOU to tell us we are wasting our time? It was NASA who first started the "Face on Mars" thing, thinking it was a good way to get ordinary people involved in whats going on on Mars... This was 25 years ago and it worked, as its still going...

I've seen a plethora of threads on this subject recently - and I find myself asking - what does it amount to? NOTHING!

And your going to see a LOT MORE as NASA and ESA continue to bring us interesting images from off world... Have a look at this page... Malin Space systems Heart shaped craters colored pink by NASA scientists...

Happy Valentine's Day 2004

www.msss.com...

"From Mars With Love"

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

This one has a Happy Face too...

"Happy Valentine's Day From Mars!"

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

So stop your griping and go pursue something that interests you and leave us our pursuits.

If it offends you, it wasn't directed personally.

Doesn't offend me, your entitled to your opinion, even if it does show your ignorance

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by blue birdSuprise me!

[edit on 23-4-2007 by zorgon]

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   
zorgon inspired me. here's another style (long style, not sure how long it's allowed to be but if you like it, i can always shorten it if its too long).

photo of bluebird from cornell university
Isidor Jeklin/Cornell Lab of Orinthology

www.news.cornell.edu...

[edit on 23-4-2007 by undo]

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Thx. guys - what a great avatars ...but I am in some kind of trouble: I follow all the steps ( it's easy) and nothing

Undo - image is not supported, but I saved it to my lap. Great !

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Here you go, in .jpg

You can just use the url box in the avatar section and use my link
thestargates.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
go to MEMBER CENTER.
then from menu on left,
ACCOUNT SETTINGS.
then on page find
AVATAR URL. it's a box above signature box.
then copy and paste the url
thestargates.com...
into it. and press submit

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I would just like to point out that there is nowhere on Earth where researchers have FAILED to find life. In South America there are springs that come up through a plateau of rock riddled with sulphur dioxide emitting vents. The water that comes up to ground level is basically sulphuric acid. And it is full of microbial life.

There are deep sea vents that are surrounded with wormlike creatures (a few feet in length) that survive purely by converting the chemical energy coming from the vents into sugars. No sunlight, no oxygen and temperatures ranging from bloody cold to a couple of hundred degrees C over their body length (the vent gasses are extremely hot but don't heat the surrounding water much).

If we find life absolutely everywhere we look on this planet, why should Mars be any different. I find it impossible to believe that this is the only speck in the galaxy, let alone the universe as a whole, where life can be found.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Many people who have a lot of experience agree that other planets have vegetation.

For example: Mr. John Lear posted this recently

There is an abundance of vegetation on the far side which can be seen on numerous photos that have been posted in John Lears Moon Photos on ATS and thelivingmoon.com. NASA was very careful to limit the photos available in color to the public to avoid giving them the impression that this might be true. But careful examination of the pictures that we have posted will reveal the fact that there is vegetation.

Although I do suppose Mars could be different, I don't know why .

[edit on 23-4-2007 by theutahbigfoothunter]

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
(i got it to work. just copy and paste the link into the avatar url box like i explained above. this is the url www.thestargates.com...
or this www.thestargates.com...

once you get it to work, i'll put my old avatar back on.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon... so I will go with that for now until Matt gets the spaceship finished

I have just received word from Bruce that he approves of my theory, which indicates I am on the right track.

You don't know how hard it is to get him to agree with anything. So that is significant in itself, even if it looks miniscule.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
or this www.thestargates.com...

once you get it to work, i'll put my old avatar back on.

Ole

Undo merci vraiment!

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   

"I'm quite serious when I say have a really good look at these new Mars images," he told an audience last month gathered at the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum. Talking via phone from his residence in Sri Lanka, Clarke said signs of vegetation seem apparent. One image showed what appeared to him looking like Banyan trees, he said.

Clarke is referring to this images:

a52.g.akamaitech.net...

And than you have the 'answer' - 'spiders' radial "branching" formations :

In this paper we define and describe morphological features that have colloquially been termed "spiders" and map their distribution in the south polar region of Mars. We show that these features go through a distinct seasonal evolution, exhibiting dark plumes and associated fan-shaped deposits during the local defrosting of the seasonal cap. We have documented the seasonal evolution of the cryptic region and have found that spiders only occur within this terrain. These observations are consistent with a geyser-like model for spider formation. Association with the transparent (cryptic) portion of the seasonal cap is consistent with basal sublimation and the resulting venting of CO2 gas. Also consistent with such venting is the observation of dark fan-shaped deposits apparently emanating from spider centers. Spiders are additionally confined to the polar layered deposits presumably due to the poorly consolidated and easily eroded nature of their upper surface.

* 'spiders':
www.martianspiders.com...

Btw. 'big' trees /Earth rainforestt 300 mil years old:

A spectacular fossilised forest has transformed our understanding of the ecology of the Earth’s first rainforests. It is 300 million years old.
The forest is composed of a bizarre mixture of extinct plants: abundant club mosses, more than 40 metres high, towering over a sub-canopy of tree ferns, intermixed with shrubs and tree-sized horsetails. Nowhere elsewhere on the planet is it possible to (literally) walk through such an extensive swathe of Carboniferous rainforest.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
A new test for the presence of vegetation on Mars depends on the fact that all organic molecules have absorption bands in the vicinity of 3.4 . These bands have been studied in the reflection spectrum of terrestrial plants, and it is found that for most plants a doublet band appears which has a separation of about 0.1 and is centered about 3.46 M Spectra of Mars taken during the 1956 opposition indicate the probable presence of this band.TLis evidence and the well-known seasonal changes of the dark areas make it extremely probable that vegetation in some form is present.

The Astropsical Journal

Chlorophyll detected at Mars Pathfinder landing site?
(Apr. 3, 2002)

The Second Astrobiology Science Conference begins at NASA Ames Research Center on April 7 and surely one of the most intriguing announcements to be made is of the suggested possible detection of chlorophyll at the Mars Pathfinder landing site. These results, to be presented at the poster session by Carol Stoker and Pascal Ashwaden, both of NASA Ames, are summarized in the following abstract from the Conference proceedings:

The Superpan, an image product from the Pathfinder lander camera, is a multispectral panorama of the Pathfinder landing site acquired in 15 wavelengths in the spectral range 440-1100 nm. We have performed an automated search of the Superpan image cubes for the spectral signature associated with chlorophyll. First, images were calibrated to radiance values and then the multispectral images were co-registered to subpixel accuracy. An automated pixel-to-pixel search was performed on a 3-filter set of images (530 nm, 670 nm, 980 nm) to identify pixels where the following condition was met: 530 nm > 670 nm, and 980nm > 670 nm. Thus, we searched for the spectral signature associated with red light absorption by chlorophyll. When this case was met by the search routine, we plotted a full spectrum for the involved pixels and carefully examined the images. The condition was met for small areas in six image cases. All of these cases occur in near field images, where resolution is highest. Four of the cases occur on the spacecraft and appear to be associated with spacecraft structure. Two intriguing cases occur in small areas on the ground near the spacecraft.

Chlorophyll detected at Mars Pathfinder Landing Site !?

[edit on 23-4-2007 by blue bird]

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Mucho gracias, mi amiga, and de nada (you are a female correct?)

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join