It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth is throwing a mental! MUST SEE!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by skitzo
im going to need some help explaining this to the old lady so could you guys hype this back up please

That's funny!

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
True, small quakes are quite common.

Today had a few larger than normal quakes - but that too, is not uncommon.

The number of actively erupting volcanoes seemed large though, as did the incidences of gases escaping from vents.

Here's something that coincidentally(?) just appeared:

Mining Caused Major Earthquake

Just appeared, yes, but happened quite a while ago.

Mining significantly changed the stress field in the earth's upper crust, reactivated a major fault beneath Newcastle's coalfields, and triggered an earthquake that killed 13 people in 1989 causing billions of dollars in damage

[edit on 8-1-2007 by sensfan]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
as I said before I have no idea how to interpret the graphs provided in the first post... but sites like the USGS record 2.5 or greater magnitude, I'm thinking the seismograph linked in the initial post is showing tremors with smaller magnitudes

also I've been following earthquake activity since becoming a member on this site and the purpose of the previous year's earthquake threads was really to document large earthquakes and earthquakes in "strange" areas. One of our valued members use to also take the time to graph these quakes so that we can compare previous month's activity by strength and frequency. From those graphs, it showed an increase in large magnitude quakes over the 3 years since becoming a member here.

Yes there is always earthquakes happening all around the world, and many aren't even recorded, today's data from the USGS doesn't seem abnormal to anyone day if you look over the past week, except for the number of large quakes that happened today... the 3, I mentioned in my earlier post.

But when you have quakes in places like Antartica or Iowa for example, it will cause unusual interest.

Personally I prefer looking at the IRIS map, (it records 4.0 or greater) it tends to show that most of the strong quakes surround the ring of fire and from what I can see, there may be a buildup to a devasting large earthquake in that region (Asia) once again, however one could also surmise that a large quake is over due for the Pacific west coast of the U.S.
www.iris.edu...

[edit on 1-8-2007 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This all seems strangely reminiscent of Ghostbusters (2 I think) where the goo under the New York was growing and leaking up into the city due to the evilness of the inhabitants. It almost seems we have this on a global scale now. But this time it isn't clearish-purple Nickelodeon slime... it's really hot molten planet bits.

Has the earth finally reached it's top level of tolerance for us and is ready to do an etch-a-sketch "do-over"?

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Remember remember the 8 of January,
Doesnt sound as cool, oh well.
Today is very odd i must admit,
So much stuff is going on,
News channels flooded with breaking news kinda thing.
nice start to 2007

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Just another 3.3 in Greece.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   
You all need to relax. A bunch of coincidental, harmless news is making you all crazy. The ONLY noteable news of this "odd day" is the U.S. Strikes in Somalia, and the Iran/Israel news, although I think I read about that last night.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan

Erm.

Point being: Human activities like mining, constructing dams and reservoirs, and oil and gas drilling ALL can cause large eathquakes.

...And those human activities continue.

Ergo - their effects continue.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
when do you think the San andreas fault line will give? i predict it might happen this year, it's long overdue, hope it doesn't happen though.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Erm.

Point being: Human activities like mining, constructing dams and reservoirs, and oil and gas drilling ALL can cause large eathquakes.

...And those human activities continue.

Ergo - their effects continue.

Veru true Soficrow. We've been wrecking the earth for decades, and now we're starting to feel the effects of it. Just look at the large junk of ice shelf that broke of in the Canadian North...just a small sample of what's to come.

Sigh.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   

...We've been wrecking the earth for decades, and now we're starting to feel the effects of it. Just look at the large junk of ice shelf that broke of in the Canadian North...just a small sample of what's to come.

Sigh.

sigh

The shelf breaking in the Arctic is like a large exclamation mark. ...And the geophysical and geophysically-related activities we're seeing today are relatively minor - all just a tiny taste of what's to come.

Everything IS related - and the breakdown is exponential. I suspect we're about to hit the peak in almost every system.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duby78
You might take a look at this... I think they're wrong, it seems impossible!!!

RSOE Havaria

WOW, that's quite a map...should bookmark that one.
also if this starts working up the west coast of USA....watch out.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Isn't it possible that those earthquake readings could be completely normal? I don't think anyone here is an expert in earthquakes so I think we shouldn't jump to conclusions is all.

Just saying...

[edit on 1/8/2007 by Kacen]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by merky
...if this starts working up the west coast of USA....watch out.

Truly.

The west coast is a hot zone if things started shaking on the N American continent.

But, you're forgetting the really dangerous place. New Madrid.

By similar reasoning, ground motions large enough to alarm the general population (intensity >/= V) occurred over an area of 2,500,000 square km. Except for later shocks of the 1811-1812 sequence, no earthquakes in the recorded history of the United States have had a damage or felt area anywhere approaching this size. For example, the 1906 San Francisco earthquake had an area with intensity >/= VII of about 30,000 square km, and with intensity >/= V of about 150,000 square km (Lawson, 1908). On a global scale, the only other seismic region which is notable for such anomalously large damage and felt areas is the subcontinent of India. For example, the three great Indian earthquakes of June 16, 1819, June 12, 1897 and January 15, 1934 had comparable damage and felt areas (Richter, 1958; Davison, 1936).

LINK

Edited to add bolding

[edit on 8/1/07 by masqua]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
when do you think the San andreas fault line will give? i predict it might happen this year, it's long overdue, hope it doesn't happen though.

You're telling me..I live pretty much literally on top of it. I wonder what the damage will be like.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I think that everyone is over-reacting here.

Each and everyday, there are a good number of relatively large earthquakes.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by tribaltrip
Remember remember the 8 of January,
Doesnt sound as cool, oh well.

Not to get of topic but it does sound cool
One Ate Seven

Back on topic seems everytime i go to the Mt Helens cam
its nothing but static

Last summer when the (poof) happened I watched the steam/clouds from work
was amazing yet I'm over a hundred miles away

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 01:01 AM
link   
30 major earthquakes worldwide and weird smells in nyc and a chemical cloud moving toward houston

welcome to a day in the life of an ATS poster...

god i love ATS...

on a serious note, this is really weird...

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
I know whats going on. Its Elvis's birthday and mother nature is excited.

Yes, that's almost certainly the explanation.

Either that or the Chicken Little cloning programme has been a scintillating success.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 02:28 AM
link   
OK i can see nobody here is going to make this a we all going to die thead.so i need the address of the one that started this. Because im still setting on 15 cases wait a minute that's 14 cases of Brew my old lady is going to want to kick my ass and she will be home here shortly so u2u me im going to need a place to STAY.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join