It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Underground Base - Dawsonville GA

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mm30004
Does anybody have any info of the SDF test area just north of the RDF test area? I'd like to find the exact location!

It is some of the 3 acres off limits, protected by a chan link fence. Every so often along the fence you will find mesh, black, plastic cylinders that are zip tied onto the fence. These are radiation detecting devices. Not much to them, inside is a sort of strip that I guess changes color to show radiation. Inside the fence if you climb to the ttop of the hill you will find concrete slabs. These slabs aren't like the ones at the main gate entrance, which were once building foundations. These slabs seemed to be poured to cover something.

There is a road north and at one point it winds down into a valley between two hills, you'll see a path off to the right, directly off the road. Following this path will lead you to the chain link fence.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by pauljs75
As a follow up, any of you folks that were crazy enough to go in should really let us know if you get cancer within 5 years.
Radioactive materials aren't a joke in that regard. That's why they shut it down, cemented it up, and filled it with water. And then they kept it fairly quiet from the public, because it really does sound like a superfund site cover-up operation.

edit on 11-9-2010 by pauljs75 because: Was a bit too long didn't catch pics in middle earlier...

I first explored the sites interiors in the late 80s. In the 80s, they had not gone to the extremes of sealing the site that they have in place now. I was able to go into all above surface buildings as well as many areas underground. I spent several days and many, many hours in the radiated areas. I have no side effects from my excursions into GNAL. This was 20 years ago and I am sure radiation levels are much lower now.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brian (Tunnel Rat)
Enjoy your exploring and don't fall or slip, bricks hurt like hell when you fall on them, to those of you who found that big hole in the huge wall next to that field you know what I'm talking about. Peace.

Piled dirt up against that wall last year with dozers. The dirt is now covered with shrubbery and weeds. Nearly impossible to get to the wall opening now unfortunately.

The water utility room that had a sink hole entrance near the concrete pad with the ramp(at main entrance) has been filled in and the area over it graded and packed. That is a shame cause it was ussually filled with bats, their home is destroyed now.

There is one entrance left open to the underground. I think it's best we don't mention any specifics. I don't want it covered too!

And you can ALWAYS get into the buildings inside tha fence at the main entrance. Not much to see, but they don't have doors so it's easy exploration. The only building inaccessable is the block house with a weilded metal sheet covering the main door. Even this building has an open door though! The opening to the block house is located on the roof, so bring ascension gear, grappling hook, if you want inside.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Id take a gliger meter if you go again, or at least one of those radiation cards to see how much radiations down there

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
There is even a facebook page documenting the nuclear lab!
Dawson Forest GNAL

www.facebook.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zantus
Id take a gliger meter if you go again, or at least one of those radiation cards to see how much radiations down there

I took my geiger counter up there last year and I could not detect anything...love to go back this winter when the snakes quit crawling! Anybody else interested?

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I think that hole in the wall is still there!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by hexed1911

Very interesting post.

I would suggest next time you go there to bring a geiger counter. I would also say a gun, but if you are caught with a weapon the situation might get very out of hand and not in your favor.

Can you take pictures?

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Oh, dear.

www.publicbroadcasting.net...

Apparently, the City of Atlanta is thinking about building water reservoirs in the forest. I hope this doesn't go through...

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by hexed1911

Can you take pictures?

Tons of pictures up at the Facebook Fanpage

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ammoclip

well its been awhile..

any new news?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Hi- I am new to your site. Thought it would be worth noting that my father was head of the project that built the 10 megawatt reactor in the forest near Dawsonville. He was an Air Force Captain at the time. I doubt that this info was ever made public. He directed Lockheed on the project and reported only to a Pentagon General and the head of the Atomic Energy Commission. My dad would never tell a whole lot about the program. I have a picture of him sitting at a console when he brought up the reactor to critical mass. This actually happened on December 24th, not a week or so earlier as reported by the Air Force. I remember my dad not being home early on Christmas day. Contractually, Lockheed was on the hook to have the reactor up and running by Christmas day. My dad told the story of taking out a yellow pad of paper and giving himself permission to bring the reactor on line. Much of what I have read on your site is new to me, and has really been a pleasure to read. I have lots of anecdotal stories about the project and the forest it is in. My dad was a new nuclear scientist, because nobody knew a lot about the effects of radiation on people, places, and things. He also worked at Wright Patterson Weapons Test Lab, Sandia Labs in New Mexico, and actually had a line item in the Federal Budget to do whatever he wanted to fund... I know this thread is rather old, but I thought it might be interesting to those who have an interest. Thanks for the new information about my father's program. Really cool.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
My sister and brother-in-law lived about a mile from there. He took us out there once back in 1980-something. It does exist. At that time there were no DNR guys to run us off and we spent several hours exploring and commenting on the "weird plants and animals". (Joke) It was a strange sensation to know there was deadly material below our feet. By the way, we never glowed at night. Peace.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I can tell you a little bit about this base. The Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Lab was built in 1958 with the purpose of studying the effects of radiation on aircraft systems and components.

It featured 3 primary buildings: A reactor, a radiation effects lab, and a nuclear support lab. Each building was connected by an underground tunnel and also featured underground work rooms and an underground parking area.

The reactor is now completely gone, removed when the base was closed. But it was once capable of producing 10 megawatts of power.

The tunnel system has been blocked and partially covered over but still exists. The base can be found in google earth at:
34°21'57.50"N
84°10'0.52"W

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Instead of making a new thread I figured I would bring this one back from the dead. I had time to kill today and figured I would go over to GNAL and take a few pics well things didnt go the way I hoped and only got a few pics. It was to dangerous to trump through the woods today (hunting season). So here they are.

I hunt and fish in the area, today was just a side trip.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Hi! I'm new to the board but I am hooked!

I live about 15 miles from the site. I have lived in Georgia almost all of my life and up until a few weeks ago had never heard of this place. My husband and I decided to check it out yesterday. It is a bit creepy to know what went on there. Other than that and the sparse buildings it seems like a nice place to ride horses or mountain bikes. All the trails are well marked.

There are two things that puzzle me though. Why in the world would The City of Atlanta want to buy this land for an airport overflow?The land is not flat and I would imagine digging up 6 stories underground and the tunnels would not be cheap. Plus there is the stigma of what it was, a nuclear testing facility. This is my "theory." I don't believe that The City of Atlanta really owns the land. I think the gov't. owns it and covers up the ownership with the name of City of Atlanta. The land is now used as a recreation area and that too helps to cover up the fact of the government as the owner. This may be far from true but what better way for the gov't to hold on to this area in case they need it?

The other thing that bothers me is the giant power lines than run through Dawson Forest in this area! I have been in other areas of Dawson Forest and these giant power lines/poles are no where to be found There is very little residential area near the GNAL. Why overkill of power lines? Where do these lines go?

Anybody out there have any answers?!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Has this ever been confirmed or is this just free balling?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamiller212
Hi! I'm new to the board but I am hooked!

I live about 15 miles from the site. I have lived in Georgia almost all of my life and up until a few weeks ago had never heard of this place. My husband and I decided to check it out yesterday. It is a bit creepy to know what went on there. Other than that and the sparse buildings it seems like a nice place to ride horses or mountain bikes. All the trails are well marked.

There are two things that puzzle me though. Why in the world would The City of Atlanta want to buy this land for an airport overflow?The land is not flat and I would imagine digging up 6 stories underground and the tunnels would not be cheap. Plus there is the stigma of what it was, a nuclear testing facility. This is my "theory." I don't believe that The City of Atlanta really owns the land. I think the gov't. owns it and covers up the ownership with the name of City of Atlanta. The land is now used as a recreation area and that too helps to cover up the fact of the government as the owner. This may be far from true but what better way for the gov't to hold on to this area in case they need it?

The other thing that bothers me is the giant power lines than run through Dawson Forest in this area! I have been in other areas of Dawson Forest and these giant power lines/poles are no where to be found There is very little residential area near the GNAL. Why overkill of power lines? Where do these lines go?

Anybody out there have any answers?!

The City of Atlanta does in fact own the property. The lower 1/3 of the property can be cleared for a runway if the Aviation Dept decides that what they want to do. The City of Atlanta purchased the property with help from the FAA in the early 70's. The City of Atlanta spent over 6 billion dollars on the 5th runway at the current airport so dont think for a minute the area cant be graded for a runway. Grading companies can flatten everything from the Etowah River south if they needed to. A few ridges and rock cliffs mean nothing if the city should decide to build a runway and a few buildings. Dawson Forest has powerlines running North/South and East/West with some tying into the Dawsonville substation just off Hwy 9. This line system carries power into other counties for miles and miles. All the power company needed at Dawson Forest (City of Atlanta) tract is access. It was much easier to get approval from one landowner than 40 landowners had they wanted to go ourside the City property. The place is what it is, nothing more. There is no huge government coverup going on or hidden active labs underground. There are a couple small areas where there is 1-2 levels of office space and control room space underground but thats it. If you really think there isnt very much residential build up around the southern portion of Dawson Forest then you must not get out much. Look at an aerial photo of the area. I'm not sure but I believe the East/West powerline ROW's go all the way into Alabama but I'm not 100% of that one.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Thank you for your reply Big Piney and YES I do get out a lot, why do you think I would be exploring Dawson Forest!
My husband have fished in surrounding areas of Dawson County. I guess I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist, hint, hint...above top secret! Anyway, no animosity intended, I was just CURIOUS! Thanks for clearing up the City of Atlanta deal!

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join