It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget Iran! The US better invade Brazil!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043money doesn't discriminated between Democratic countries or Communist ones.

I can't think of a more accurate statement than that...

But unfortunately it's one that some people will refuse to believe.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   
First - let me just make this plain - I don't think the US should invade Brazil. But Nygdan:

The deal with the NPT is you get nuke tech, but you also accept international oversight.

Did you read all the article I posted originally? It's not completely clear-cut.

Still, Brazil's enrichment program - and its reluctance to allow unlimited inspections - has raised suspicions abroad.

''Brazil is beginning to be perceived as a country apparently wanting to reevaluate its commitment to nonproliferation, and this is a big part of the problem,'' said Jon Wolfsthal, deputy director for nonproliferation at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace in Washington.

While it's not doing any sabre-rattling, it is right on the US' doorstep. Personally, I think, good luck to them as it might make the US think twice about interfering with them again. But then I think how mad the world has become that I can even consider being glad that yet another country is acquiring nuclear capability.

And if I were a strategist for the US, I'd be very concerned, in fact far more concerned than over Iran - if oil were not an issue. That's because I don't believe that people are stupid enough to go lobbing nukes around unless they think they can get away with it, like the US seems to think it can these days. On the other hand, a country in South America with nukes might seriously cramp US ambitions in the area - it might embolden them and their neighbours to try to escape US hegemony and economic control.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   
FYI, Brazil does have

O

I

L

They're on the verge of having the refinery capacity to support themselves without foreign assistance. Pretty cool if you ask me.

They're not swimming in the stuff like Iran and Iraq, but they've got resources, certainly.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
4 reasons why the U.S. isn't invading Brazil :

Brazil is America's 5th biggest trade partner

Brazil has had three powerplants enriching Uranium for ages and ages (though a bomb has never been built Ithink).

Brazil's president is a redneck just like Bush and they both love each other (even though he's a worse leftist than Chavez)

Brazil hasn't kicked out any inspectors yet (and they will leave the Nuclear non-proliferation treaty if they ever build a bomb)

Brazil and Argentina have had the tech for building nuclear bombs since the 70's, If they want to build a bomb NOW it's probably because they aren't feeling safe. Can you blame them?

[edit on 21-4-2006 by Nakash]

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Well maybe that is the way it was before China

Now China is taking US place in underdeveloped and poor countries like Brazil in South America.

China is selling it’s slogan to Brazil of Peaceful Rising with the promise to help Brazil end their poverty.

Now Washington is starting to see that something is not going very well with its relationships with Brazil that has been forgotten due to the War on terror in the middle east.

Washington is despatching the assistant secretary of state responsible for the region, Thomas Shannon, to Beijing to find out what is going on.

China has been investing Billions of dollars in South America and that is a Big red flag to the US because nothing is given for free.

One of the projects that China has invested in South America is on Energy and defense now why is China doing that? You tell me.

Washington knows the potential danger of China involve in South American but while the concerns are there nothing has been done to stop it.

Because US also is receiving money from China because like I say before China has it and in great quatities.

"We're concerned about the leftist countries that are dealing with China," says Congressman Dan Burton, the Republican chairman of the sub-committee on the Western Hemisphere.
"It's extremely important that we don't let a potential enemy of the US become a dominant force in this part of the world."

news.bbc.co.uk...

It looks to me that when it comes to enemies as long as the enemy is financing our economy they are good and trustworthy.

No, US will not invaded Brazil but the way things are going US is going to have a nuclear party in his own backyard thanks to China.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by rich23
There's a country that might be developing WMD right on Uncle Sam's doorstep!

Brazil follows Iran's nuclear path, but without the fuss

By Peter Muello
Associated Press Writer

04/20/06 RESENDE, Brazil (AP) - As Iran faces international pressure over developing the raw material for nuclear weapons, Brazil is quietly preparing to open its own uranium-enrichment center, capable of producing exactly the same fuel.

Brazil - like Iran - has signed the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty, and Brazil's constitution bans the military use of nuclear energy.

Also like Iran, Brazil has cloaked key aspects of its nuclear technology in secrecy while insisting the program is for peaceful purposes, claims nuclear weapons experts have debunked.

While Brazil is more cooperative than Iran on international inspections, some worry its new enrichment capability - which eventually will create more fuel than is needed for its two nuclear plants - suggests that South America's biggest nation may be rethinking its commitment to nonproliferation.

''Brazil is following a path very similar to Iran, but Iran is getting all the attention,'' said Marshall Eakin, a Brazil expert at Vanderbilt University. ''In effect, Brazil is benefiting from Iran's problems.''

You can find the rest of the article here: and here is a rather interesting Global Security overview of Brazil's capabilities and political situation.

So why aren't the US invading Brazil, but are threatening Venezuela with a carrier group and going halfway across the world to trash Iran?

I have an idea of something that those two countries have, that Brazil doesn't... can you guess what it is?

Forget Iran! The US better invade Brazil!!!!!!!

I think that this thread title is offensive not only to me but to all Brazilian and it should be changed...Brazil is poor peaceful country the only "wars" and deaths..well basically all the crime is because people are poor and need to survive.

Every day dozens of children die from hunger others are forced to steal to feed their families!

Its been a long time now since brazil is fighting a really big power shortage they have no ways of sustaining all the demand there for the need for more power..brazil cant afford to import so they enrich it, use it and sell it, probably to country's like the US because it will be cheap.

Guess what my country Portugal will also be enriching uranium this year do you want the US to invade my country to? a member of EU and one of the founders involved in the making of the united nations AND also sent its national guard to frikin Iraq to support "our fellow Americans".

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Why China is investing money in Brazil in energy projects? Of course it's not free- Brazil has the biggest hydro dam in the world and China want's to make an exact copy for it's own energy needs. That's why. No free lunch. In fact, it's pretty smart of China to copy a few of these projects, since they cost Latinamerica a ton of money and the cost-benefit ratio was too high. China won't make the same mistakes. Plus Brazil is a middleman for U.S. technology (mostly due to the large amount of trade between America and it), China can obtain lot's of stuff via that nation (China's nuclear program is on the same level or more advanced though). Brazil also doesn't have oil, it seem's that they actually need their plants for energy (everybdoy seem's to have forgotten about why nuclear powerplants are built in the first place).

I don't know what to think about the oil conspracy. It seem's strange that Venezuela has a leader less extreme than many others in latinamerica (and democratically elected) but the U.S. is bullying Venezuela (who doesn't have any nuclear powerplants).

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Brazil rocks they are ready to declare fuel independance within a year. Far better then paying whatever the price of gas is now. I don't pay attention to gas as i do not drive a motor vehicle.

link   
i have a question. why should the US be in charge of keeping the world in check? last time i checked most people were pissed at the US for meddling in other's affairs.

link   
Brazil can do whatever they want, they have produced some of the hottest women in the world so that should make up for any wrong doing. I also have family there so i would never support any military action against that country. The guy was on Forbes billionaire list, you can marry third cousins right?
$$

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I watched CSPAN during the Katrina jacking up of gas prices. Then I go to Brazil and see cars running on 80% sugar cane ethanol, no money from the goverment (profitable), cheap gas....it makes me want to puke at how our leaders laugh at us for being so stupid. Jack up gas prices to x10-x20 times the price everybody outside of America in Latinamerica pays or so forth pays, and then have a little "hearing" so the oil companies can get away scot free. Really pisses me off.

oh, Brazil does have several billionaries, and that's the problem (20% of the population living like kings, 30-40% living in a lower/middle class, and everybody else ultra dirt poor.) You go to Southern Brazil and it's first world,no crime nothing amazing. Go up north or the big cities and it's either crime ridden or very poor.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Originally posted by theBman
I can't remember the last time the Iran took hostages, or sent suicide bombers or even sponsored terrorists. The United States has probably sponsored more terrorist organizations than any other country.

Really? No mention of Russia in that reference to the only US mention?
Iran has long supported, funded, and aided Hamas, Islamic Jihad, Hezbollah, etc.

When was the last time Iran threatened the US?

Umm, last week, when they threatened not only the US but the UK with 40,000 suicide bombers? Hello?!

It's a shame the same cant be said for the US.

You did purposely forget to include the UK, etc.?

seekerof

[edit on 21-4-2006 by Seekerof]

Seeker, not to mention Iran threated the US when they took our embassy hostage and held our citizens for over 400 days. But you are 100% correct in your assesment that Iran has threatened the US and its allies in Europe and also the ME(Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and the UAE). I heard about the Martyr Brigades a while back, kinda crazy if you ask me. But it doesnt surprise me one bit.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 08:13 PM
link   
At least if Brazli threatens us, we can round up most of their national soccer team in Europe and hold them ransom. That'd make Brazil cave.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I am not advocating nor saying that it is OK for Brazil to be possibly pursuing nuclear weapons. Having said that, I did run across an interesting article that indicated why Brazil may be doing so:

On the other hand, would Brazil tolerate a world of increasing nuclear weapons with the likes of countries as Iran and North Korea? For some analysts the answer is “No.” Noted Brazilian economist Ricardo C. Amaral openly declared that Brazil should pursue nuclear weapons as the ultimate guarantor of sovereignty.

“The world is changing very fast, and we have to prepare Brazil for the future and adapt Brazil to the new world reality. I would tell my fellow Brazilians: “Please, wake up and look around the world; even poor countries such as India, Pakistan, South Africa, and North Korea have nuclear weapons.”

Actually South Africa disassembled their nuclear weapons voluntarily, but his point stands as Iran moves forward with their program; a program whose international support should be rejected. One thing certain: a world with fewer nuclear weapons is a safer world, and that is a world Brazil can be proudest to promote.
Feb. 20, 2006: Brazil’s Nuclear Ambitions

What this raises to me, IMHO, is that the international organization that is supposed to be handling the issue of non-proliferation--the United Nations--is and has been doing an inadequate to subpar job. Case in point: India, Pakistan, South Africa, North Korea, and the issue of Iran.

seekerof

[edit on 21-4-2006 by Seekerof]

jra

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I'd really appreciate it a lot if the US didn't go running off to invade Brasil, seeing as how my wife is Brasilian and she's down there at the moment. Thank you.

All this talk of invading 'Country X' because they might make a nuclear bomb is getting really annoying. Talk about fear mongering... Now Brasil's gov't may be crappy and corrupt, but I don't see them as the type to threaten the world with nuclear weapons. They already have enough problems as is.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Thing is,...More countries having nukes would actually make a safer world, It's MAD I tell you.

Just M.A.D.

Threats and fear of retaliation prevent more wars than any other means.

Having nukes and acting tough keeps the boogey man away.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Reasons why US won't invade Brasil...

-It's too large
-It's a friend of US
-Iran is a better geo-strategic country
-Iran have oil
-Iran have natural gaz
-Iran have access to the Caspian Sea...
-Iran is close to China.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Brazil with nukes....whats next a Canadian Super Power....HAHAHAHAHAHA
Sorry couldny resist.
and too the threader that couldnt "remember" when Iran too hostages....how bout the Iranian Hostage Situation...??? President Carter??? Remember??? Helos...crashed??? Foiled attempt??

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Just thought I'd make absolutely clear what I meant when I started this thread.

I do NOT think the US should invade ANYONE else. My purpose in starting this thread was to point up the US' interest in oil. I absolutely apologise to those - especially the Brazilians - who may have missed the irony in my thread title. Irony often gets lost on the web and I really should have known that.

I have, however, learned a lot from some of the responses. I thank SargMarg for her post and BBC link. And yes, I too think Brazilian women are hot.

As for those who are banging on about the Iranian hostage crisis, they, as always, forget that the US overthrew the democratic regime of Mossadegh and brought back the Shah, equipping him with a secret police (the SAVAK) that made the KGB look like a bunch of girls doing needlepoint. For years they tortured and disappeared people until fundamentalism started to look like a GOOD OPTION to the Iranians. The US had no-one but themselves and their polices to blame for that little debacle. It's called 'blowback' by the CIA.

And now, for geopolitical and resource-driven reasons, the US wants to invade Iran on a trumped-up charge of nuclear enrichment. Even the CIA knows that Iran is a decade away from getting a bomb. Yes, Iran is sabre-rattling, but it's a defensive posture. They know that Bush is serious. There are covert troops already in the country and a carrier group is doing practice bombing runs.

Once again, I apologise for any inadvertent offence and I hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Brazil has three fully functional powerplants enriching Uranium to some degree everyday. Iran has one measly poorly built plant under a huge bunker. Gee, who can build nukes? No seriously, the technology was acquired in the 70's by both Argentina and Brazil, but those two nations decided to ban nuclear testing, and made it purely civilian. Think Japan (except Japan has developed technology which can allow it to build a bomb in days if it needs, very well trained army as well despite having the only pacifist constitution in the world). The Falklands war also put a clamp on the whole bomb making thing, but since Iraq, every single Latinamerican leader has gone "Yipee!" and is now doing stuff they wouldn't normally do (ie: nationalizing key industry which was formally in private hands, agrarian reform, and now this nuclear weapon issue). There will never be war against Brazil and the U.S. (think about it- why would America invade Canada? invade Mexico?).

[edit on 22-4-2006 by Nakash]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join