It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden Banning Menthol Cigarettes - Good Health Move or Government Overreach?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 08:29 AM
link   
The Biden administration is getting ready to ban menthol cigarettes. We all know that cigarettes cause cancer and the government is doing this supposedly for the health of Americans and to try to make sure minors don't get into smoking. Groups such as the American Cancer Society's Cancer Action Network and American Lung Association like this move. But obviously the tobacco industry is against this. But so are people who run convenience stores, and the police, also consumers and minority groups.

So ... should the government be stepping in and banning a product that people choose to enjoy, because that product can cause cancer? The government is stepping in for their own good and for the good of others who end up having to help care for those who get cancer from cigarettes? Or is it government over reach and those people have a right to use the product as they wish. Their life, their choice.

Menthol cigarette ban? Good thing or over reach?

Biden White House Finalizing Menthol Cigarette Ban Despite Broad Opposition

The Biden administration is preparing to soon finalize highly anticipated standards targeting menthol cigarettes despite heavy opposition from small business, civil rights, law enforcement and free market consumer groups.

The regulations, which would broadly ban the product, were first proposed by the Food and Drug Administration two years ago and have sparked a contentious debate between health advocates and civil liberties and business groups. The FDA has repeatedly missed target dates for finalizing the proposed ban, the latest of which was earlier this week.

"The FDA remains committed to issuing the tobacco product standards for menthol in cigarettes and characterizing flavors in cigars as expeditiously as possible; these rules have been submitted to the [Office of Management and Budget] for review, which is the final step in the rulemaking process," an FDA spokesperson told Fox News Digital. "As we’ve made clear, these product standards remain at the top of our priorities."

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Bad thing. They banned them over here. Also banned packs of 10 cigs.

Now they want to tax vapes

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Yeah, we get, cigs are bad for you. They are not banning cigarettes as a whole, just menthols. And what group are the main consumers of said menthols?

Just another way for them to flex on the black community trying to keep them on the DPP (Democratic Party Plantation).

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

High capacity packs?

Assault packs?

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 08:57 AM
link   
So dumb. It's actually not just the black community, a lot of women smoke menthol. (mom did for years)

And yeah, coming after us vapers too.

Our Mind blowingly brilliant governor Whitmire, actually said on the news, that her daughter told her, that her friends were starting to smoke cigarettes, to GET OFF OF Vapes.
That is why she is going after Vaping.

I am curious, where is all the money coming from now, that the Tobacco lobbyists used to provide?
Some industry had to fill that role, that used to be a lot of money for politicians.
edit on 4-4-2024 by chiefsmom because: addition

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Have 'they' banned only menthol cigarettes then?
I only buy roll-myself tobacco, so don't know the cigarette market really, but I occasionally buy menthol filters for a change if I have no pot lol
These ones: www.tesco.com...

...I always thought menthol cigarettes were only coz of the filter, a spliff made with tobacco from a menthol cigarette, is not menthol, so now I'm confused with the ban when menthol filters are still on sale for roll ups?🤔
edit on 4-4-2024 by AdultMaleHumanUK because: Typo 'know to now' lol

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Once again the left proves they are the true racists.

...and they want to be your mommy telling you what to do. Remember when NY tried to ban salt at restaurants or what size drink you could buy?

Remember when al Gore's wife and Hillary Clinton tried to ban music?

edit on 5300909America/Chicagoam04 by 5thHead because: PMRC

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 09:19 AM
link   

More government regulation is never the correct answer.

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

We call it the "Nanny State".

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Not sure how it is today, but in the 90's and 00's when I was a smoker, mainly it was black people who smoked menthols. Seems like the government is taking a shot at the black community.

As far as overreach, remember it's against the law to drive your vehicle unbuckled, a motorcycle without a helmet, or even ride a bike without a helmet. You're not hurting anybody but yourself if you do these things so I'm not sure why it was made into a law.

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
... mainly it was black people who smoked menthols.

Well .. it looks like it's hispanic and black people who smoke them because those are the groups that are against this ban. What I don't get is why ban menthols and not all cigarettes. They both cause cancer so why single out menthols and not go for the regular cigarettes too. This ban makes no sense to me.

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Tax revenues?

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Anyone with half a braincell knows the goverment doesn't give two crap about anyone , and that we are better sick (as in big pharma , big medicine $$$ ) . This is also why the goverment is trying to ban/minimize vaping ,as vaping isn't as deadly , and as smoking and has fewer medical risks.

This is government overreach.
It's parent's responsibility to watch/teach their children about risks of smoking/vaping not big nanny.

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ScarletDarkness

Shhh shhhh shhhh

Don't you know? The children are the governments, not the parents. Only silly plebes believe otherwise.
edit on 4-4-2024 by Moon68 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: LSU2018
... mainly it was black people who smoked menthols.

Well .. it looks like it's hispanic and black people who smoke them because those are the groups that are against this ban. What I don't get is why ban menthols and not all cigarettes. They both cause cancer so why single out menthols and not go for the regular cigarettes too. This ban makes no sense to me.

I don't know. It's definitely a mind-boggling decision. There weren't many Hispanics in my area growing up so I didn't know their main flavor. The crazy part is how they want to ban cigarettes and vape, but legalize marijuana. As far as health goes, I've known people who had lung cancer and never smoked, and I've known people who smoked for 60 years and never had lung cancer. I'm glad I quit, they'd push heavy into my budget these days even though I only smoked half a pack a day.

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Tax revenues?

I don't think banning menthols will do anything for tax revenue.

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Better than 90% of this creeps proposals never see the light of day. In 8 months he will be a lame duck.

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Tax revenues?

The gov't has already lost all control of tobacco sales, they just don't know it.

In my neighborhood, cigarettes are $13/pack because of all the taxes added to it.

But in the same store where I can buy Newport or Marlboro for $13/pack I can also get Seneca for $5/pack regular or menthol. And the Seneca's are good, I know as I'm a smoker that's quit repeatedly and always gone back and I smoke them.

Everyone in my neighborhood smokes them. Gov't revenue? $0.00

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 10:07 AM
link   
To answer your question:

Both

Cigs are bad for people and I understand why they want to ban more types of cigs.

However

what the government is doing is downright un-American and wrong

Banning the production (making) of products that have been around for 50 years or more, especially products that have been around for more than 100 years is wrong.

Biden has openly championed banning gas stoves by regulating the production to impossible standards (going back and forth, now saying he never said that, which he did); banning gas furnaces through regulation impossible to meet; banning gas lawn mowers through impossible to meet regulations

Democrats in 9 states outright banning the sale of gas cars in their states in the near future. Telling people what they can not buy and what they must buy instead. www.cnet.com...

It was like the light bulb fiasco, where old fashioned light bulbs were banned in the US for awhile forcing people to use florescents which contained mercury and a hazmat team had to come clean up if they broke. If they had just left well enough alone LED's came along and the old fashioned light bulb would have died a natural death.

The same would/will eventually happen to other appliances. Now they plan to regulate Air Conditioners so harshly that the middle class won't be able to afford them because of the huge rise in production costs.

Democrats have proven themselves totalitarian nanny's over and over and over.

A vote for a Democrat this year is a vote to eliminate one of your home appliances or make them so expensive you can't afford to replace your old one. Also a vote for Democrats is a vote for the nanny state to tell you what you can and can not buy or even make yourself.

edit on 4/4/2024 by TheSingleBillie because: format

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Following the California marching orders. They banned them in 2020.

So now we know, California is 4 years ahead of what they are going to push on the entire country.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join