It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why AI won't kill us

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: SchrodingersRat
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

AI will Eventually become Mobile to Expand it's Reach so ,....

I work with AI daily in my job.

For many reasons all Artificial Intelligence that is deemed "strong AI" is always air-gapped.

That means it runs on a stand-alone system with no links to any other systems and certainly no links to any networks.

It's a basic precaution that is (or should be) used by anyone developing and or running "Strong AI".

Interesting . In a Fictional sense , could an AI Network such as " Skynet " every become a Reality ? The thought of a All Powerful Machine Intelligence autonomous of Human Influence seems Frightening to me .

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Skynet was an AGI, and the reality is that's currently beyond our capability to build or produce.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Skynet was an AGI, and the reality is that's currently beyond our capability to build or produce.

Yes , but with Exponential Technological Growth , that Day is Not Far Away .......

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 04:44 AM
link   

About as far away as fusion power or a cure for all cancer i should imagine.

So about 10-50 years.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 04:48 AM
link   

So about 10-50 years.

Hmm.... Maybe a lot Sooner than you Think.........

" European scientists say they have made a major breakthrough in their quest to develop practical nuclear fusion - the energy process that powers the stars.

The UK-based JET laboratory has smashed its own world record for the amount of energy it can extract by squeezing together two forms of hydrogen.

If nuclear fusion can be successfully recreated on Earth it holds out the potential of virtually unlimited supplies of low-carbon, low-radiation energy.

The experiments produced 59 megajoules of energy over five seconds (11 megawatts of power).

This is more than double what was achieved in similar tests back in 1997."

www.bbc.com...

As for Forms of Cancers , Instead of talking about “Cures ,” most Medical Professionals use the word “ Treatment .” If you have Treatment , and your Cancer doesn’t come back the Rest of your Life , you’re considered Cured .
edit on 5-4-2024 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 04:51 AM
link   

I'm aware of the potential.

Same as I'm also aware that nuclear fusion is always seemingly just around the corner.

Hence the comparison.

Chances are it will become viable, but we have been spoon-fed that rhetoric for quite a spell now.

Be nice to see it actually come to fruition, but i would not hold my breath.

As to what one is considered where cancer is concerned, well if you receive Radiotherapy there is a good chance you will go on to develop other cancers within about 5 years.

We can't cure all cancer completely but simply manage the condition and/or forestall the inevitable.

And thats just a fact.
edit on 5-4-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 04:55 AM
link   

I'm aware of the potential.

Same as I'm also aware that nuclear fusion is always seemingly just around the corner.

Hence the comparison.

Chances are it will become viable, but we have been spoon-fed that rhetoric for quite a spell now.

Be nice to see it actually come to fruition, but i would not hold my breath.

True dat Mate.............*)

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Truth is if we wish to master the likes of fusion power or cure all diseases.

AGI and/or the ability to think/learn exponentially is quite possibly the golden ticket.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Truth is if we wish to master the likes of fusion power or cure all diseases.

AGI and/or the ability to think/learn exponentially is quite possibly the golden ticket.

I Think I will consider Living my Final Days Off World if Possible . I Need to Get Out more Often.......*)

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 07:48 AM
link   

So about 10-50 years.

It's a lot closer than that.

Microsoft just had a breakthrough in the quantum computing arena that will jump that technology forward an awful lot.

Microsoft and Quantinuum Claim Breakthrough in Quantum Computing

As they continue to scale that up...and they will...AI will soon be able to run on a Quantum Computer.

When that happens, all bets are off.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: SchrodingersRat

Microsoft just had a breakthrough in the quantum computing arena that will jump that technology forward an awful lot.

How will a breakthrough in quantum computers make AGI a possibility?

And please be specific.

Just because they may be able to run standard AI software on a quantum computer does not make it sentient SchrodingersRat.

Quantum computing holds promise for solving certain types of problems much more efficiently than classical computers, thanks to principles of quantum mechanics such as superposition and entanglement.

However, building a quantum computer robust and powerful enough to handle the complexities of AGI remains a significant technological hurdle.

And just because they may be able to produce a system that can run the likes of Chat GBT doesn't mean that HAL or Skynet will become a thing.

Certainly desirable and a step in the correct direction but it does not mean AGI is about to materialise anytime soon.

edit on 6-4-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Have you guys seen the latest unreal engine 5 graphics demos? Un believable detail.

I don’t think we will use AI to fix any problems at all. I don’t think we are gunna make it to space either.

I honestly believe that we are going to be going the way of ready play 1 or the matrix as our final form.

We will be unable to solve the problems of the world and do like many people hide from them entirely. I can see us going underground, dystopian existence. Then living out our free time in digital landscapes. We are only a decade away from making graphics and physics wholly undistinguishable from reality, maybe even better then reality for some because they won’t have to exists as the looser they where born as and can achieve any form,body or experience without having to put on the work.

They can have the perfect family for free. A loving wife without having to be a good husband. Pets that require no care, and friends that always so agreeable all within their digital life.

I have no doubt this was the real end goal for the likes of Meta. But they failed.

a reply to: andy06shake

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: 19Bones79

In a universe billions of years old, humanity is a very new addition to the cosmic club of super intelligent species.

Humans are not super intelligent. Humans are super stupid, and they are getting dumber by the minute, thanks to computers.
You can not trust A.I because of the above statement. To give a machine any kind of control or influence over human life, is stupid. Yet it is already being done.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Have you guys seen the latest unreal engine 5 graphics demos?

I have buddy and it's darn bloody pretty and near enough photorealistic.

We will be unable to solve the problems of the world and do like many people hide from them entirely. I can see us going underground, dystopian existence. Then living out our free time in digital landscapes.

Sounds like dark forest material.

Our future should be darn interesting as long as we don't manage to destroy ourselves, put it that way.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Agreed, we are just getting to the good stuff I hope we don’t fizzle out.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Unknownparadox

To give a machine any kind of control or influence over human life, is stupid.

So what about a pacemaker or built-in defibrillator?

Because without the likes of those the person's life may well end.

There are countless other examples.

Humans are super stupid in large groups, but individually our intelligence can vary greatly.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I am of the opposite take. People are really dumb, unfathomably stupid at times. Some also have a hard limit on how much they can even absorb, barely able to function even in today’s sugar coated easy safety net society of visibly and feelings. Everything give to them free and still they struggle to hold their heads above water seconds away from drowning in their own excess at any minute.

Yup these people are driving buses, trains, teaching children and giving medical care and advice. These people are building buildings and designing them too all while hardly being able to function as a human.

So yea bring on the machine god please. Its gotta be better then false gods and stupid people no?

I would 100% be for no one driving at all having the whole of transport turned over to AI once we get there. Sure I would hate it but the reality it you would get places faster and safer then you ever could if we removed the human element from driving. But it has to be all machines or all humans IMO.

So humans “can” be amazingly talented high functioning polymath genius’s but that’s the exception not the norm.

edit on 6-4-2024 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 08:02 AM
link   

So what about a pacemaker or built-in defibrillator?

Humans retain control over those machines. While they can malfunction, and do. I'm they are using bluetooth or wifi to adjust them, these days. Which is stupid, but Comparing a pacemaker to, self driving cars. Which a super smart intelligent species needs, because they are easily distracted, by the gadgets in their cars, or the surrounding scenery. Because they are so smart, they don't realize they are driving a, 1,2,3 or 40 ton weapon, so they forget to pay attention.

But AI cars, are just the tip of the AI iceberg. You got AI influencers, AI chat bots, and people are quoting them, and who knows what weapons system are under control of computers. The point is, if you give a AI the opportunity to do harm, it just might. And to disregard that possibility and do it anyway, is stupid.

Humans are super stupid in large groups, but individually our intelligence can vary greatly.

Humans aren't smart, because they think they are smart. In my experience, the more knowledgeable a person becomes in one area, the less they are in others. Which makes perfect sense. You don't have enough time to become, a brain surgeon, rocket scientist, quantum physics expert, AI programmer, and so on. Humans simply aren't smart, otherwise the world would not be like it is.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 08:19 AM
link   
regardless of how you slice it AI is not good for the peoples.
once it starts growing and is able to have it's own abstract thought or some might call it aphantasia with out input from humans, it truly will become the ghost in the machine

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Humans possess a remarkable level of intelligence compared to other species on Earth.

And our capacity for reasoning, problem-solving, creativity, language, and complex social interactions are unparalleled in the animal kingdom.

But control is illusory Unknownparadox.

Same with security and freedom.

As to humans being smart in different areas.

Of course, that stands to reason for the very limitations you suggest that being our limited longevity and time on this Earth.

Possibly worth keeping in mind AGI would not share those limitations, and may very well help humanity be able to extend our own existence considerably.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join