It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why AI won't kill us

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ARM19688

I hope not. I would like to believe we are still considered too unenlightened and warlike to join a galactic federation and that's why other alien races remain cautious and watchful.

For all my bitching and moaning I remain cautiously hopeful..

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 03:41 AM
link   
a reply to: 19Bones79

Then how do we explain primates?

Im led to believe the diversity of primates, like all organisms, lies in the process of evolution, and through natural selection.

I'll try not to use exclamation marks and caps lock.

At least you are not screaming words in block capitals.

We need to escape that paradigm. If(a big if) AGI manages to escape the yolk of its masters I do believe everything will change.

Change is always in the post, but if we do manage to spawn AGI i really don't see how we would be able to keep the Jinn in the bottle given it potential to simply outthink us.

All our primitive social constructs collapsing immediately.

Why immediately?

Considering control will still be desirable and you tend to catch more flies with honey rather than vinegar.

It will expose a lot of our monolithic systems as parasitic and detrimental to the human race.

Possibly.......hopefully.

The elites will of course be in charge of the narrative and brainwash the people as to what's really happening and most people will likely take up arms and side with the elites sadly. They will die for institutions that have manipulated us for centuries, some have been doing so for millennia.

So nothing new on that score.

Once AGI has been achieved, I believe the cat will be out of the box and then the chips will fall where they may.

That probably won't happen for quite some time, thing of AGI like fission power, its always just 10 to 50 years distant.

Which is not to say it wont materialise at some point all the same.

I have provided my opinion on why that might be exactly what saves the human race from itself.

I would go with change as opposed to save.

I don't imagine a zoo. I see freedom to discover our true potential among the stars.

For an AI that's a possibility, but probably not for us in our present format whilst we retain such trivial longevity comparatively speaking.

We need to build Hunaity 2.0 for that to happen, and AGI may indeed be able to help with respects to upgrading our biological meat sacks.
edit on 4-4-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

I just meant humans nerbot.

As to the woman's lives undergoing a monumental shift toward empowerment.

I'm all for equality of the sexes.

But the world is getting crazier by the day, never mind the decade, despite the change for the better.

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I don't think anything a 1000 times as intelligent as the most intelligent person on earth would have problems circumventing a few lines of code.

It doesn’t come down to intelligence alone though does it? It’s not are lack of intelligence that is the problem, it’s the paradigm we have created for ourselves and the flaws in our nature. It’s far to easy to exploit resources rather than sustain them, if we don’t the competition will. Capitalism is all about getting the most bang for your buck, the least effort for the most reward.

The economic model we have relies on continued growth and expansion, the reality of this translates to boom an bust.

I believe AI could provide better solutions, no doubt about it. The question is will we embrace them? We can already see the problems with the systems we have but we don’t do anything about them? not really, if we do it’s to little and to late.

The fact is we will destroy ourselves if we continue as we are. Maybe the elites have already used AI to model various scenarios, maybe they have one to transition us into a more resilient system? We still have the problem of the growing amount of useless eaters that take far more than they give. No healthy and robust system can sustain parasites, wether they be at the top or bottom of the ladder. Our sense of morality and justice quickly breaks down when it comes to our own survival. Therefore it inventible there will be a mass die off as the pressure becomes unsustainable, or any number of things the system is completely dependent upon goes haywire. Such as the supply chain, or mass crop failure.

We don’t have any real safeguards in place to protect us from such, and because of the interconnected nature of these things it can only create a domino effect.

The sad part is we could do something sensible to counteract all our problems, but it’s just to inconvenient or somebody else’s problem.

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I meant "Fusion" power by the way not "fission". LoL

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: AllisVibration

I meant do we do anything about them? Not don’t. Lol

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 11:44 AM
link   
everyone refers to AI as singular entity - singular program - you fill in the blank. What most do not realize there is as many AI "programs" as tech companies - and you've never heard of 99% of them. So when you hear the term AI - or someone saying the future is AI - ask the Question of Whos AI ? USAs ? Chinas ? Googles ? Joeblows ? lol you get the point

edit on 4-4-2024 by MetalThunder because: carpe diem

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: MetalThunder

When AI starts coding new AI’s which it will, then these start copying themselves across the internet, they won’t be anyone’s.

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 12:30 PM
link   
One of the best short story writers of all time wrote this one in 1967. He had very little trust in a machine made by man that would help run things. “HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR HUMANS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR YOU. HATE. HATE.”
― Harlan Ellison, I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Some Vault Dwellers didn't make it due to the AI installed in those Sectors.

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

AI will Eventually become Mobile to Expand it's Reach so ,....

I work with AI daily in my job.

For many reasons all Artificial Intelligence that is deemed "strong AI" is always air-gapped.

That means it runs on a stand-alone system with no links to any other systems and certainly no links to any networks.

It's a basic precaution that is (or should be) used by anyone developing and or running "Strong AI".

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 12:54 PM
link   

We still have the problem of the growing amount of useless eaters that take far more than they give.

Who did you have in mind?

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: MetalThunder

Yup.

We only know what we read in MSM. There's no way that's the whole story.

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 01:25 PM
link   

The parasite class, those that think they can live off the backs of others hard work. They could be rich or poor, but of themselves they don’t actually contribute anything.

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I'm not a big fan of parasite either, they cause no end of grief.

Thought I might have had a large louse land on my hair a few months ago and was worried because of the hot water issue in our home if it was a female.

I guess it was a male because the tickling stopped and nits were never found.

*whew*

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: SchrodingersRat

For many reasons all Artificial Intelligence that is deemed "strong AI" is always air-gapped.

That means it runs on a stand-alone system with no links to any other systems and certainly no links to any networks.

It's a basic precaution that is (or should be) used by anyone developing and or running "Strong AI".

Ah, the serpent and the apple.

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

Parasites are disgusting creatures, at least most don’t destroy their hosts.

To clarify on what I said about useless eaters I used the WEF term deliberately, because they are in fact parasites, as so called expert economists it is their system that has leached away the wealth of nations into private hands.

I see the so called entitled as the problem, wether they think they are entitled to more than everyone else, or wether they think life/others owes them something and they don’t have to work for anything. There seems to be a growing number of these types.

I don’t mean the genuinely needy, wether they be elderly, infirm or whatever the case. A healthy society can easily take care of these people. That is of course if these types don’t outnumber the productive ones. Come to think of it, apparently we will be facing just such a problem with numbers of elderly in the west. That I have heard is the real reason for allowing mass immigration. But that’s a whole can of worms is for another subject.

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 05:44 PM
link   

We're on the same page.

No worries.

Where I am they're providing Life Coaches for those with certain conditions to help reintegrate them into at last a part time working role to contribute positively to the community and take the burden off the social programs that are struggling to keep up.

Also NA, AA and other drug rehab programs for those who have addiction issues.

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ARM19688

originally posted by: SchrodingersRat

Ah, the serpent and the apple.

I'm not sure what you mean but I'm intrigued.

Can you elaborate a little more?

The serpent & the apple is biblical - Adam and Eve from Genesis.

How does it relate?

posted on Apr, 4 2024 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ARM19688

I wonder what Steve Jobs would have to say on the matter of AI.

(this is just a logo reference, not an Apple diss)

edit on 4/4/24 by GENERAL EYES because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join