It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question - Is ATS Going to Die on May 24th?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Removed redundant post.
edit on 19-3-2024 by Hakaiju because: Removed information already provided by others

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Yeah, thats how I've read it too.
Been waiting to see if the Mods were going to post anything as the ATS doomsday got closer, I imagine a month from now will be the first indicator and I imagine if the Mods hear nothing at that time, they know the writing's on the wall.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I just called the domain registery company (five minutes ago, at 9.07 a.m. Central Time, March 19th, 2024) that registered the name "abovetopsecret.com" and asked if someone could pay the renewal fees for the domain as a "Random Act Of Kindness." The answer was "no." I would have to know and be able to supply the password/pin number of the account before I could do anything.

That answered my question. Which was, could the members of ATS gather up a collection to pay the renewal fees and keep the site going?
edit on 19-3-2024 by Station27 because: Corrected a typo.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Remember when Totse went down?

en.wikipedia.org...

I hope ATS gets to argue with them in website heaven

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Followup to add to my above comment:

I already have an account with the same company that registered the domain for ATS, so when I called, I had to enter my 4-Digit pin number to be able to get right to the operators to ask a question. I'm thinking that if I had had the correct pin number for the ATS account, perhaps I would have been able to make a payment. How many different possibilities would there be for a pin number with 4 digits? 10,000? Would we members perhaps hit upon the right one if we gave it 10,000 different tries? Just a thought.

To add another afterthought:
I have been able to provide my 4-digit pin number over the telephone and then be allowed to make a payment over the telephone without providing any other information. Since it was the correct pin number, it worked. Could it not also be done with any other "correct" pin number?
edit on 19-3-2024 by Station27 because: Added an afterthought.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: elevatedone

Read any good "signatures" lately ?

Registered.

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone
Will you be hosting that thread brawl? lol

No. But I would expect chaos and total melt down of rules because no one will be afraid of being banned. I figure people will be telling other people exactly what they really think of them, and opening bunches of new against-the-rules multiple accounts to flood the forum with crap ... that kind of thing.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 09:29 AM
link   
ALRIGHT ... piecing together the information that posters smarter than I am on this subject have said .... the bottom line is that if the site owners don't reregister the domain name by the 18th of May, then ATS should go dark May 23.

So we watch the website that was given earlier HERE to see if the date for the domain name changes. If it does, that means the owners are still around somewhere and intend to keep ATS up and running. If the date doesn't change ... then May 22 will be chaos and lights out on May 23.

edit on 3/19/2024 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

Will you be hosting that thread brawl? lol

No. But I would expect chaos and total melt down of rules because no one will be afraid of being banned. I figure people will be telling other people exactly what they really think of them, and opening bunches of new against-the-rules multiple accounts to flood the forum with crap ... that kind of thing.

So just more of the same but only like we're partying in 1999? lol

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Probably nearly everyone will be doing it instead of just trolls.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Probably nearly everyone will be doing it instead of just trolls.

If everyone will be doing it then everyone is a troll at heart, hmm?

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I dont think it will be total chaos other than a few farewell threads, nobody is going to start posting about The Mugabee Effect and I am the Real Elvis threads...

I have been wrong before tho.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Everyone feels the pull to the dark side of 'the force'.
I hate star wars but that is the best I can answer with.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Everyone feels the pull to the dark side of 'the force'.
I hate star wars but that is the best I can answer with.

Human nature will bubble up to the surface when freedom of speech/expression is perceived to be in place.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Hakaiju

At the end of the domain name grace period (if there is one) anyone is capable of grabbing the name and changing the DNS to point to their own server, or nothing at all.

Exactly. Aside from the hosting fees issue, they may very well lose the domain name "abovetopsecret.com" if they don't renew and someone else grabs it at the end of the grace period.

According to Google:

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) is a private, nonprofit organization that manages domain names. ICANN is responsible for: Allocating Internet Protocol (IP) address space, Assigning protocol parameters, Managing the domain name system (DNS), and Managing the root server system

So ICANN is the one that can pull the plug on the domain name and re-assign it to someone else.

I may try and grab it myself if this site goes the way of the Dodo...

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: BeTheGoddess2

I am the Real Elvis thread

I was waiting to tell you all till then, now you've ruined it!!!

I'm really all shock up by that, you're a real hound dog......

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: CarlLaFong
Would someone consider starting a countdown thread?
66 days 'til Armageddon...and counting.

originally posted by: MindBodySpiritComplex
Expires On: 2024-05-18

We need to update the 'party like it's 1999' event ... move it from May 23 to May 17. ha ha ha Seriously though, I'd expect an all out brawl and mayhem here if it was known that the end was May 18th.

ICANN has a grace period after domain name expiration. So, no - 5/18 is not the death date. I'd say that date is when the hosting fees are due although the server farm where it's hosted probably also has a grace period.

Bottom line - who the hell knows the actual date of lights out.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Remember the obscene content that was post in ATS when we all lost our accounts a few months ago, I really will no deal with that again.

It is too sad that the site will go away, specially soo close to elections, we all need a place like this to post information.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: SchrodingersRat
ICANN has a grace period after domain name expiration. So, no - 5/18 is not the death date. I'd say that date is when the hosting fees are due although the server farm where it's hosted probably also has a grace period.

According to these websites which were posted earlier, there are only five days given from the time the domain name ends until the time the site stops working. The name ends on May 18. Five days later is May 23. Making May 22 the 'party like it's 1999' date.

uk.godaddy.com...

www.websitebuilderinsider.com...

Unless I'm reading them wrong.
That's what it looks like.
A five day grace period.
Then lights out.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
Remember the obscene content that was post in ATS when we all lost our accounts a few months ago,..

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about. A good number of people went crazy with their posting. A bunch of us just shook our heads and didn't want to be here because of it. I expect that, and more, on the last day.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join