It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question - Is ATS Going to Die on May 24th?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 05:12 AM
link   
We all know ATS is not doing well and the owners are AWOL (Absent With Out Leave). I"m not a techy person so I don't know the answer to this ... the domain name for ATS expires on 5/24/24. That's what has been said on the boards. What does that mean? Does that mean that the owners have to re-register the name or the name (and the site) go away? Is ATS set to die on May 24th without ownership intervention?

edit on 3/19/2024 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I think it does have to be renewed if I remember correctly on my site I did years ago.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: G1111B1234

Does it matter anymore?

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 05:58 AM
link   

I'm pretty sure ATS is headed for the internet graveyard come May. From what I understand, the server fees are paid up till then and it's anyone's guess if the owners will just let it die, but from past experience like when the site got scrambled and they did nothing to get it back , I think they will. If they do it's fine.

"There are other worlds than this"

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I think the writing is on the wall to be honest.

edit on 19-3-2024 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I"m asking ... is May 24th the date?

Does anyone know?

I don't understand the tech stuff.

Is that the date the domain name ends unless they renew or something?

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 06:24 AM
link   
So...party on the 23rd?

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hakaiju
So...party on the 23rd?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

If the domain name thingy means the end on May 24th .....

That means around here May 23rd will be an all out crazy day.

No one will be afraid of being banned ... so it'll be a party like it's 1999 kind of thing.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan AFAIK, most domain name registrars have a grace period for renewals. As long as the DNS entries remain and there's a server to respond, the site will still be accessible. If the servers lease runs out, that may be a hard stop.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 06:30 AM
link   
So can anybody recommend some sites similar to ATS?
I don't want to be left pointing my tin foil hat at the world on my own.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 06:37 AM
link   
So those with the ability to contact long lost members may want to reach out and let them know, in case they want to stop in for the wrap party.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 06:39 AM
link   

a reply to: FlyersFan AFAIK, most domain name registrars have a grace period for renewals. As long as the DNS entries remain and there's a server to respond, the site will still be accessible. If the servers lease runs out, that may be a hard stop.

Okay .... so that might be my answer. Even if the owners abandon ATS, it will just keep running by itself as long as a 'server lease' continues. So the domain name thing on May 24 doesn't matter?

Tell me about a 'server lease'. How do we know when a server lease ends? Is it a matter of us not knowing and if we show up one day and ATS is gone, then we know the 'server lease' ended?

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 06:40 AM
link   

So those with the ability to contact long lost members may want to reach out and let them know, in case they want to stop in for the wrap party.

If May 24th is it, I'd expect May 23rd to be an all out brawl.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 06:53 AM
link   

It depends on how the site is set up and who they get their services from. Operating a server costs the host money, so I doubt that the site would stay up past the lease end. At the end of the domain name grace period (if there is one) anyone is capable of grabbing the name and changing the DNS to point to their own server, or nothing at all. We need someone who knows more about the specifics to chime in.

edit on 19-3-2024 by Hakaiju because: Added some more info.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Hakaiju

Again I"m not 'techy' so excuse the question.

Does this mean that when the Domain name ends on May 24th, it, and ATS itself, are up for grabs and that anyone can come along and take it and make ATS their own?

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 07:25 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I think the main problem is know one has heard from the owner of the site.
The most I know is, ATS was originally set up in the UK and the domain name was registered with Go Daddy, it was eventually bought by the 3 Amigos during the ATS heyday, who attempted to make a business out of it. That didn't work and they sold it and it was bought by a possible member? Who has since disappeared/not responded as far as the rumour mill goes.

EDA
a reply to: MindBodySpiritComplex

You beat me to it!!

edit on 19-3-2024 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Would someone consider starting a countdown thread?
66 days 'til Armageddon...and counting.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: MindBodySpiritComplex
Expires On: 2024-05-18

So the May 24th date floating around is wrong.

posted on Mar, 19 2024 @ 07:30 AM
link   

When the domain name lease expires, it becomes available for anyone to lease. All they would get, in that case, would be the domain name, not the site, and by that I mean the code that runs this site. They would have to create their own site. They would also have to put that code on a server, either their own, or lease server space and bandwidth.
There are other possibilities of course. They could purchase the site - the code and database, etc, to run the site and go from there, or, if no one does anything, the site will eventually just not be accessible. It will just drop off the internet.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join