It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Imposes Major New Sanctions on Russia, Targeting Finance and Defense

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 09:57 AM
link   

The United States on Friday unleashed its most extensive package of sanctions on Russia since the invasion of Ukraine two years ago, targeting Russia’s financial sector and military-industrial complex in a broad effort to degrade the Kremlin’s war machine.

The Biden administration, responding to the death of Aleksei A. Navalny, unveiled its largest sanctions package to date as the war in Ukraine enters its third year.

We've been talking about this in multiple threads here on ATS.

It seems the Biden administration actually did something about Navalny's death. Now we'll see what effect - if any, it will have on Russia and the rest of the world.

edit on 2/23/2024 by SchrodingersRat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: SchrodingersRat

The United States on Friday unleashed its most extensive package of sanctions on Russia since the invasion of Ukraine two years ago, targeting Russia’s financial sector and military-industrial complex in a broad effort to degrade the Kremlin’s war machine.

The Biden administration, responding to the death of Aleksei A. Navalny, unveiled its largest sanctions package to date as the war in Ukraine enters its third year.

It seems the Biden administration actually did something about Navalny's death. Now we'll see what effect - if any, it will have on Russia and the rest of the world.

So did Trump. Trump compared himself to Navalny. Last month he compared himself to Jesus, if I remember correctly.

I think he's running out of martyrs to compare himself to.

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: SchrodingersRat

This, combined with our continued involvement with the Israel/Gaza mess is just going to push more countries to join BRICS.

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Awesome.
Now do the same to IRAN.

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 10:22 AM
link   

What took Biden so long?
It's been, what, two years since the invasion?

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Sorry if this seems cynical-but Russia have already been sanctioned up to the eyeballs over th Ukrainian war-and I am yet to see any effect on the battlefield.

And while I don't agree with political assasinations-I highly doubt this will achieve anything more than a chuckle from the GRU/FSB and Kremlin.

Does anyone think these new sanctions will change the behaviour of those who like to murder anyone who does not agree with them?

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: onestonemonkey
I highly doubt this will achieve anything more than a chuckle from the GRU/FSB and Kremlin.

Does anyone think these new sanctions will change the behaviour of those who like to murder anyone who does not agree with them?

And, in a related note, Vladimir Putin renews his support of Biden in the 24 election.

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: CarlLaFong

If he does I'm not seeing it.
I see him getting exactly what he wanted by his comment in your post though.
Anyways these sanctions won't do much as those in Russia have had much time to figure out the work around and we have known this for some time. So this just seems like a way to gain political favor.

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boomer1947

So did Trump. Trump compared himself to Navalny. Last month he compared himself to Jesus, if I remember correctly.

Your anal retention seems to know on bounds! No matter what the subject your inability to focus on any topic without viewing it through your TDS is astounding!

Russia-sanctions-Biden=topic, and Biden's handlers probably wouldn't have placed any sanctions if it wasn't an election year. Three years of showing us how weak he is as a POTUS makes his new 'tough guy' persona laughable, at best.

'Hatred poisons the vessel that carries it'. -Somebody
edit on 1/1/1908 by nugget1 because: sp

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundya4k

If he does I'm not seeing it.

Putin was asked by interviewer Pavel Zarubin who was "better for us" out of Biden, a Democrat, and Trump, a Republican.

Putin replied without hesitation: "Biden. He is a more experienced, predictable person, a politician of the old school."

www.snopes.com...

Can you see it now?

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: onestonemonkey
Sorry if this seems cynical-but Russia have already been sanctioned up to the eyeballs over th Ukrainian war-and I am yet to see any effect on the battlefield.

And while I don't agree with political assasinations-I highly doubt this will achieve anything more than a chuckle from the GRU/FSB and Kremlin.

Russia is much larger, richer and had bigger and supposedly superior military than Ukraine.

2 years later Russia has suffered massive casualties, is relying on North Korea for support and is reduced to measuring success as individual small towns it can capture after months long offensives.

How much of that is down to sanctions, how much is direct aid and how much is the determination of Ukraine itself is impossible to separate, but its clear what is being done is having some effect.

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I don't really take him for his word.
I mean if we all did that then David Dukes endorsement would mean just as much correct?

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

originally posted by: Boomer1947

Your anal retention seems to know on bounds! No matter what the subject your inability to focus on any topic without viewing it through your TDS is astounding!

Russia-sanctions-Biden=topic, and Biden's handlers probably wouldn't have placed any sanctions if it wasn't an election year. Three years of showing us how weak he is as a POTUS makes his new 'tough guy' persona laughable, at best.

'Hatred poisons the vessel that carries it'. -Somebody

He added sanctions in 2022.

Was that an election year?

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Just as Watchitburn stated, sanctions aren’t doing anything other than making the Russias supply chain move away from anything associated with the dollar. These moves will only strengthen BRICS and make them the place to run to escape the collapsing dollar, but somehow I think Bidens administration knows that.

Commies helping commies bring down the dollar and people will cheer it on.

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: BedevereTheWise

Every two years is an election year for Senate and the House. 400ish house seats and 30ish Senates seats were voted on in 2022.

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: CarlLaFong

What took Biden so long?

And two weeks since Navalny's death FFS?!!!!

I have no love for Biden but with you guys he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
edit on 23-2-2024 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

originally posted by: CarlLaFong

What took Biden so long?

And two weeks since Navalny's death FFS?!!!!

Wouldn't these additional sanctions have been more useful at the BEGINNING of the invasion?
Two years in...they might've had a possible cumulative impact by now.

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundya4k

I don't really take him for his word.
I mean if we all did that then David Dukes endorsement would mean just as much correct?

it's not a "gotcha" kind of thing, it's what's called "facts". It happened. Twice. What it means to you is kind of up to you.

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive
a reply to: BedevereTheWise

Every two years is an election year for Senate and the House. 400ish house seats and 30ish Senates seats were voted on in 2022.

If you include any election then every year is an election year.

Kind of negates the posters claim that it was only done as an election year.

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 11:15 AM
link   

It's not just the US invoking these sanctions. Other countries are involved too.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join