It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge ancient city found in the Amazon.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 05:27 PM
link   
With these discoveries, we still don't know a great deal about our ancient ancestors.

As the title states, a lost civilization existed in The Amazon some 2,500 years ago. Here are some of the main points from the article.

A huge ancient city has been found in the Amazon, hidden for thousands of years by lush vegetation.
The discovery changes what we know about the history of people living in the Amazon.
The houses and plazas in the Upano area in eastern Ecuador were connected by an astounding network of roads and canals.

This wasn't a village, but more like a city.

"This is older than any other site we know in the Amazon. We have a Eurocentric view of civilisation, but this shows we have to change our idea about what is culture and civilisation," says Prof Stephen Rostain, director of investigation at the National Centre for Scientific Research in France, who led the research.

We are now able to look back further in time with what modern technology allows us to.

This is what i found mind blowing about this discovery.

It is difficult to accurately estimate how many people lived there at any one time, but scientists say it is certainly in the 10,000s if not 100,000s.

People hypothesise that nuclear war could have taken place 1000's of years ago. Makes you wonder.

This LiDAR technology found 6,000 rectangular platforms measuring about 20m (66 ft) by 10m (33 ft) and 2-3m high. They were arranged in groups of three to six units around a plaza with a central platform
A network of straight roads and paths connected many of the platforms, including one that extended 25km (16 miles).
"The road network is very sophisticated. It extends over a vast distance, everything is connected. And there are right angles, which is very impressive," he says, explaining that it is much harder to build a straight road than one that fits in with the landscape.

16 mile long road !

The next step for the researchers is understanding what lies in an adjoining 300 sq km (116 sq mile) area not yet surveyed

More revelations to come.

www.bbc.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I'm going to make a guess that this city is way older than twenty five hundred years old. Those buildings down there were built well, the civilizations in that areas thrived for a very long time. I would guess that the city might be six thousand years old. I do know a few people that actually went down around that area to gather info about those ancient cultures. They even had some of the stuff carbon dated near the digs that were going on and they were like five thousand or more years old.

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Amazing the way the earth can just eat up a city of such size. I could only imagine what’s buried under the sand in places like Egypt.

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Psshh Ricky, push it further back to around the younger dryas era.

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Enduro
Heck just look at the mounds in Il. Cahokia. So much lost knowledge. Not to mention a what's buried deep in the oceans..

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Enduro
Amazing the way the earth can just eat up a city of such size. I could only imagine what’s buried under the sand in places like Egypt.

From what I heard at one of the ancient artifact society seminars, they have found pyramid shaped buildings buried all over the African continent. They are picked up by some satellite or special high flying plane that does ground penetrating radar work.

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I can't wait to see some artifacts and more info on this, they obviously knew how to manage water in impressive ways.
Probably brilliant farmers too. Did they do domestication? Fishing farms maybe? So many questions about how they thrived as they clearly did.

The finding of forges stood out to me. I wonder if their styles and ability matches others found in the region.

Good thread!

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Thats why I still laugh when people say we should accept whats written about our history and there is no chance anything was better than "settled" science believes.

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Namibian... wooot! copper tools my arse...

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I was reading about this today. Exciting stuff!

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Thats why I still laugh when people say we should accept whats written about our history and there is no chance anything was better than "settled" science believes.

If this world is as old as they say it is, there could have been many advanced civilizations that existed in the past. Most of the evidence would have deteriorated already in ten thousand years, where steel tools were, brownish red soil and an odd shaped soft rock resembling the tool might exist, easily broken up by shovels or tools.

If someone were to dig up a pick or hammer resembling a tool made somewhere around the world in the last hundred years buried in a dig, they would believe someone left it there during that hundred years, they would not challenge consensus of the time and say it is from an era that they say it was not from, they would be ridiculed by other archeologists. They would lose all their credibility. I wonder how many tools from ancient times were discounted as not real over the last few centuries.

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

It's extremely narrow thinking, isn't it? There's no telling what's buried out there. A tiny fraction of 1% of the land on Earth has seen any archeological work done, without even considering what's at the bottom of the ocean.

And if that's not enough, there are ancient tectonic plates that have been subducted back into the mantle. It's entirely possible there was a previous civilization more advanced than ours and all evidence of it is down in the mantle, essentially undiscoverable.

We know practically nothing for certain about the history of our planet.

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bimini45
Heck just look at the mounds in Il. Cahokia. So much lost knowledge. Not to mention a what's buried deep in the oceans..

Seems like everyone wants to know about space and what’s out there yet it’s crazy how little we know about our own earth. So much of the truth has been hidden/destroyed by governments.

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: YourFaceAgain

We know practically nothing for certain about the history of our planet.

"You will know nothing and be happy", just ask Sargent Shultz.

edit on 1/11/2024 by TheMichiganSwampBuck because: for clarity

posted on Jan, 12 2024 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

The finding of forges stood out to me.

That's strange. No forges are mentioned either in the BBC report or in this more detailed article. Did you see that in a different article, perhaps?

edit on 12/1/24 by Astyanax because:

posted on Jan, 12 2024 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Just been reading about this mate.
Fascinating.

Apparently it seems to be a distinct and unique civilization completely different and unrelated to anything previously known.

For all that we know there is so much we don't know - or aren't being told - about our history.

I wonder what the likes of Byrd, Harte, Hanslune etc make of this?

Great thread.

posted on Jan, 12 2024 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I wish I could go help them..........for a couple of days anyway.

posted on Jan, 12 2024 @ 05:27 AM
link   

edit on 1/12/2024 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2024 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

My bad, I stand corrected.

It's hearths that were discovered which could've been used for anything including the ceramics that are mentioned.

Pits and hearths were found in the platforms, as well as jars, stones to grind plants and burnt seeds.

From the BBC article, information is really scarce on these sites, metal working happened in the area around the same time by other cultures.

posted on Jan, 12 2024 @ 07:05 AM
link   

edit on 1/18/2024 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join