It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rogue-Nation has Been Down for About a Week

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Just in case anyone is unsure...

rogue-nation.com...

Thank you for your time.

edit on 1-1-2024 by boyinadress because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I would also like to thank TPTB here at ATS for letting this thread exist.

Most everyone at RN has been at ATS at one time or another and there are still plenty of members who are active on both sites so this understanding and cooperative spirit is greatly appreciated.

Happy new year to all and best wishes heading into 2024!

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl
My first response was removed as OT, maybe a little too snarky, so I'll try again...

originally posted by: nenothtu
a reply to: tanstaafl
Nothing is hosted at GoDaddy. They were just the domain name registrar.

Both the domain registration and the DNS is hosted at GoDaddy, so, what you just said is simply not true.

Anyone who a) chooses a hosting company that routinely fleeces their customers, and b) doesn't set up multiple ways to reset passwords and regain access that at least one or two others have access to is... well, I'll let you guess what term I've already used I would put here...

We didn't pick it. The site owner, now deceased, did. Kinda nervy of her to go and die on RN without taking a break from that dying thing to give 'em the logins for the domain name, huh?

Not nice, but not very smart, is it? Of course, again, replace 'not smart' with the other term I used previously for a better understanding.

I piss on Cloudflare.

Feel free to piss on a company that provides far cheaper domain name registrations - $9.77 .com, $10.10 .net and 10.11 .org vs for examples, as compared to GoDaddy's $22 .com, $23 .net, and $23 .org prices (after their initial 0.99 promo prices of course.

The least expensive way is to register it at GoDaddy for the first free year, point the DNS to Cloudflare, then after the month waiting period, transfer it to Cloudflare.

And I'll just ignore your ad hominem comment...

Hosting as in WEB hosting was the meaning behind 'nothing is hosted on godaddy'. DNS and name registration are irrelevant in that context. When someone in the business says it like that it means no web site data or pages is hosted there.. I have a domain name and it is registered through domainmonger. They do the DNS and domain.

Once you have web hosting somewhere, they show you what the DNS name servers are, so you go back to your registrar account and change them to point to your web host.
Easy Peasy.

ETA: Even if you use Godaddy for a domain, it doesn't mean you must host your web site there too.

edit on 1-1-2024 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: edit

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: boyinadress

Yup. I got an email about 3 hours ago from one of the admins who managed to get into the DNS while I slept and fixed it under the same old domain name.

It may take up to 24 hours for the DNS updates to fully propagsate around the world, and some folks may have to individually clear their DNS cache until that happens, but as of now the site is back up and running under the same name as always.

Hat's off to Sol for coming through and getting the lights back on after a hairy re-wire.

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 02:53 PM
link   
A big thanks to ATS for allowing this thread to live so that folks could stay updated on the goings-on at RN! It was truly an oasis in the storm!

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: boyinadress

Cheers.

Welcoming to see the site back up. Well done to all concerned.

Kind regards,

Bally

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I am now having a happy new year as Rogue-Nation is back online. I would also like to thank the mods for allowing this thread although I was pretty sure it would be OK when I created the thread.

edit on 1/1/2024 by TheMichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
WRONG, Wrong, and Wrong. Hosting as in WEB hosting. I have a domain name and it is registered through domainmonger. They do the DNS and domain.

RIGHT, right, right. DNS is what controls everything with regard to anything to do with any given domain name.

The problem reported by the OP was a DNS problem.

It doesn't matter that the WEBsite wasn't hosted by GoDaddy. The fact that they were both the domain registrar AND had control of the DNS was the problem. Like most hosting companies, they do a really #ty job of DNS, and they charge more than twice what you need to pay for the domain registration.

The hosting however is elsewhere, where you upload all your web page data to. Once you have web hosting somewhere, they show you what the DNS name servers are, so you go back to your registrar account and change them to point to your web host.
Easy Peasy.

Gobbledyspeak.

What they do is tell you what your DNS records need to be - specifically, the main A record (for the TLD), the CNAME record (for the www. alias), as well as any other records needed (for databases, calendar/contact servers, etc).

They usually also prefer that you utilize their DNS service (change the DNS servers for your domain to theirs in the domain registrars control panel), but this is not required (or if it is, find another hosting service).

Even if you use Godaddy for a domain, it doesn't mean you must host your web site there too.

And if you had read my response you would know that I didn't say anything about the website itself being hosted there, I mentioned only the domain REGISTRATION and the DNS service.

But by all means, be my guest and remain ignorant, while thinking you know something about something.

I've only been doing this kind of thing for 30 years or thereabouts.

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Well, glad you know. My point was the word "hosting" and what it refers to.

I was a DNS administrator for many years at an ISP so I know how it works.

You misinterpreted someone's comment about "nothing is hosted on godaddy" which was obviously referring to the HTML data.

And instead of just acknowledging that goof, began a tirade, and now another one. You always do this.

edit on 1-1-2024 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: edit

posted on Jan, 2 2024 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
You misinterpreted someone's comment about "nothing is hosted on godaddy" which was obviously referring to the HTML data.

Obviously? Misintrpredt what, and how? I never said the website was hosted at GoDaddy, my very first response in this thread only mentioned the domain registration and DNS service, and the fact is the DNS was HOSTED at GoDaddy, so, again, you are simply wrong.

And instead of just acknowledging that goof,

There was no good to acknowledge, other than yours, but again, feel free to bask in the glow of ignorance.

began a tirade, and now another one.

So, whenever someone points out that you are wrong, they are on a 'tirade? Interesting concept ya got going there.

You always do this.

Do I? Where/when?

posted on Jan, 2 2024 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I thought I'd mention that I couldn't access the old Rogue-Nation3 board in addition to the new Rogue-Nation, however, that is also up and running. Even though R-N3 is closed to new threads and posts, I think it is a valuable archive for reference.

<< 2  3  4   >>

join