It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time does not progress in a linear fashion but circularly.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 07:49 AM
link   
We tend to think of the passage of time as being linear.

Past, present, future, at a constant flow.

In this manner, we only ever experience the 'present'.

The past having come to pass and getting further away, whilst the future is yet to come though getting closer.

Think of moving wheel.

If you were to limit your vision to a tiny beam the size of a pea and fixed one spot on the edge of the wheel, you may not even recognize the wheel for what it is.

If you stare observantly long enough, you may recognize the pattern and realize only a rotating circle has this property.

If you move your gaze along the edge in the direction of the rotation, it would seem as if wheel is slowing down, coming to a stop when you match its velocity, then as you accelerate it would seem as if the rotation is reversed.

If you move your gaze in the reverse direction, it would seem as if the wheel accelerates it's rotation.

Of course, if you widen your view, or simply step back, then you see the whole circle.

We are essentially all staring at a tiny area on the edge of one gear of the most magnificent and complex machinery ever conceived.

But back on point, I absolutely believe we can see and manipulate the past and the future, as if traveling through time.

Without technology.

We think we're stuck in the ever present now, only because we forgot how to move our gaze along the wheel.

We're all just going in circles anyway.

Like a snake eating it's own tail.

Ouroboros.

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: BrotherKinsMan

Of course ..the birds drop seeds, seeds grow trees, the trees live, die, fall back into ground, disolve and become new seeds n seedlings..n the cycle, circular.

Such is death: not final, but a new beginning.

✌️

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Everything is just light and sound. Time doesnt exist.

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Personally I could imagine a few things:

time is the 'anti-space', like in anti-matter but a little more entwined than those two; in that scenario it is more a 'force' like gravity, the force that makes change possible
time is really only relevant for us 5% because our biological machinery(body=matter) needs it for survival and is therefore more like a 'timer' for that type of experience of what the universe is. When we assume the fact that all the dark stuff might be a different mode of existence than what we can perceive.
time is like consciousness sthg that arises from matter

Because what does it really mean when you say circular?
Because I mean our theory of an infinite universe is also that it eventually circles back. Alas to say time is infinite seems pretty redundant and not explaining a thing
edit on 20-12-2023 by ButterfliesAndPonies because: y

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Adlow75yo

Everything is just light and sound. Time doesnt exist.

If I remember correctly, there is a very detailed study and subsequent documentary(?) on how every equation that we have, mathematical and scientific, can be resolved without the inclusion and use of time as a measurement.

Essentially, time is a construct that was created by man to describe, measure, and explain pursuant to our observations, but not at all necessary in the grand scheme of things.

It doesn't exist other than in our heads and on our microwave ovens.

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: dothedew

It totally does. Half-life is proof.
It occurs if you measure it or not. The progress of time is change, without time everything would be stagnant. And it isn't with watch or without, everything changes.

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ButterfliesAndPonies

It totally does. Half-life is proof.
It occurs if you measure it or not. The progress of time is change, without time everything would be stagnant. And it isn't with watch or without, everything changes.

And you said the key word - measurement. That's all that time is, a measurement.

It's like baking and using ounces and cups/liters and grams. They exist because we created it for measurement purposes. We have a dozen other ways to attain the desired end result, but using measurements like that make it easier.

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Time is a cube

en.wikipedia.org...

Ill let myself out

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 10:26 AM
link   

no, like I said it exists if we measure or not. Decay is occuring. If you count seconds or minutes that is what is man made

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 11:25 AM
link   
It's more like a spiral.

edit on 20-12-2023 by IndieA because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: IndieA

I'd up you a dimension and say it's more like a helix...
Those forms in the end are just constructs of our mind to get a grasp on things we can't grasp...

But what meaning does time has to those unaware of their material decay?

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 12:59 PM
link   

It could be argued that the only time we ever experience is the present.

Considering for all intent and purpose the past no longer exists, and the future has not yet occurred.

And we are indeed stuck in the present from our perspective.

And if that is not the case, please time travel to the past, or better yet future and PM me next week lotto numbers.

Jokes aside its all about perspective and as far as i can establish consciousness exists in the moment.

Imagine how confusing it would be otherwise without the arrow of time heading in one direction never mind the paradox implications that could arise if indeed it was otherwise?
edit on 20-12-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Well said Andy!

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 01:11 PM
link   

but: and I think that is incredible fascinating to think about

In physics you can reverse the arrow of time and it all still mathmatically at least works out perfectly.
So it would indeed seem the problem why time to us only can progress in one direction is the unknown 'force of consciousness' that doesn't make it possible to experience that.

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ButterfliesAndPonies

That kind of sounds like a Möbius strip of sorts.

The thing is there is no known scientific method or principle that allows the reversal of the arrow of time in a general sense.

The concept of the arrow of time points in the direction of increasing entropy.

And thats a concept deeply rooted in the second law of thermodynamics.

From our perspective, and as far as im aware the rest of the universe's perspective, bar at the bottom of a singularity's gravity well, where im led to believe our understanding of physics and mathematics begins to fall apart, time flows in the one direction.

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 01:22 PM
link   

The concept of the arrow of time points in the direction of increasing entropy.

well with the footnote: in a closed system. Is the universe a closed system? How would we know?

And I am not arguing against the 'is not scientifically possible' just talking in theory
edit on 20-12-2023 by ButterfliesAndPonies because: add

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Certainly cannot simply step outside of space-time to measure or observe our universe thus determining one way or the other.

And if we cannot measure or observe a thing it's pretty much above our paygrade to understand as far as i can determine.

The concept of a closed system is often associated with the laws of thermodynamics.

And in particular, the second law which you probably know states that the entropy of a closed system tends to increase over time.

Lets just say in the context of the universe, at a cosmological scale, discussions about entropy and the second law become more shall we say subtle.

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Lets just say in the context of the universe, at a cosmological scale, discussions about entropy and the second law become more shall we say subtle.

rofl
best sentence on the internet of today

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Aye ""subtle"", and somewhat above our pay grade.

But you might find this type of article of interest.

As it turns out, it takes 26 dimensionless constants to describe the Universe as simply and completely as possible, which is quite a small number. Even at that, they don't give us everything, because there are some important things that are fundamentally still unknown about our Universe.

www.forbes.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I got one for you too:

A particularly interesting question was whether the set of variables was unique for every system, or whether a different set was produced each time the program was restarted. “I always wondered, if we ever met an intelligent alien race, would they have discovered the same physics laws as we have, or might they describe the universe in a different way?” said Lipson. “Perhaps some phenomena seem enigmatically complex because we are trying to understand them using the wrong set of variables.” I

n the experiments, the number of variables was the same each time the AI restarted, but the specific variables were different each time. So yes, there are indeed alternative ways to describe the universe and it is quite possible that our choices aren’t perfect.
According to the researchers, this sort of AI can help scientists uncover complex phenomena for which theoretical understanding is not keeping pace with the deluge of data—areas ranging from biology to cosmology. “While we used video data in this work, any kind of array data source could be used—radar arrays, or DNA arrays, for example,” explained Kuang Huang PhD ’22, who coauthored the paper.

The work is part of Lipson and Fu Foundation Professor of Mathematics Qiang Du’s decades-long interest in creating algorithms that can distill data into scientific laws. Past software systems, such as Lipson and Michael Schmidt’s Eureqa software, could distill freeform physical laws from experimental data, but only if the variables were identified in advance. But what if the variables are yet unknown?

source

that:
AI can help scientists uncover complex phenomena for which theoretical understanding is not keeping pace with the deluge of data
is the issue

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join