It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New Project On Reading the Bible

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2023 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic
I see you have fully embraced the JW,org directive of using videos to preach instead of door knocking
Funny how god and it’s church got the last few decades wrong, had to change the door knocking thing. That don knocking was wrong? Does that mean god was wrong, Gods church, wrong?
Not going to watch your videos, never really liked your door knocking either

Believe what version of the bible as you wish
What concerns me is how your organisation, the org you serve harbours pedophiles and you support that?
I want to know how you are at peace with that?
news.yahoo.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2023 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Here is some interesting news. Have you seen the new update?.

As beards have come back into favor among the respectable (as they had become disreputable for awhile in the past) beards can now be used again among brothers in positions of responsibility. (I've already got a week beard growing).

As for dealing with Creaky and his slander I would simply apply the words of 2 Tim 2:23. As the reading in the Bible reading I've been doing so far with Abraham, Issac, and now Jacob we see how they were lovers of people and lovers of Jehovah God. They avoided confrontation, and ceded to those who bullied and abused them. And Jehovah when he needed to stepped in and took care of matters. It always ends up good for those who do good, and always end up bad for those who have evil intent.

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Creaky
a reply to: Radchad

Sounds like gnosticism

Call it what you want! But you can’t escape the fact that Constantine the great with the help of Athanasius took over control of Christianity. Any Christian that disagreed with the new dogma were classed as heretics and treated accordingly. The Bible was put together to support the Church of Rome. And today it still does.

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Totally disagree
Constantine had his issues no doubts
But, think you just make stuff up to get attention
Have fun, enough of my time wasted on your opinion
edit on 17-12-2023 by Creaky because: (no reason given)

(post by Creaky removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Totally disagree
Constantine had his issues no doubts
But, think you just make stuff up to get attention
Have fun, enough of my time wasted on your opinion

Yes no problem! Keep your head in the sand. Have a good day lol

posted on Dec, 17 2023 @ 10:56 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 18 2023 @ 04:46 AM
link   

... I want to know how you are at peace with that?

I think you are more interested in quarreling, contention, or strife, than peace (or how I am at peace). And your latest accusations are unrelated to the accusations concerning the New World Translation (NWT) in the comment I was responding to and what my response/comment was about (they do not provide evidence or useful information to determin whether these accusations are true or false, they are also irrelevant to that discussion). Strife is wrangling, quarreling, contending with another because of enmity. To somewhat bring this back to what your comment and my response was about, one Hebrew verb rendered “engage in strife” in the NWT is also rendered “stir up” and “excite oneself.” You do sound a little excited (mad/stirred up) about all this. Among the causes for strife alluded to in the Scriptures are hatred (Pr 10:12), rage (Pr 15:18; 29:22), intrigues (Pr 16:28), ridicule (Pr 22:10), heavy drinking (Pr 23:29, 30), slander (Pr 26:20), arrogance or pride, and lack of right teaching (Pr 28:25; 1Ti 6:3, 4). Strife destroys peace and happiness. Its unpleasant and repelling effect on other persons is repeatedly highlighted in the book of Proverbs. (Pr 19:13; 21:9, 19; 25:24; 27:15)

The bolded ones are quite pertinent to the general nature of your commentary. So let's have a closer look at some of those Bible texts, quoting from the very accurate and honest, i.e. not corrupted to suit doctrine as per the claim I was responding to, NWT:

Proverbs 10:12

Hatred is what stirs up contentions,

But love covers over all transgressions.

Proverbs 16:28

A troublemaker* causes dissension, [*: Or “A schemer.”]

And a slanderer separates close friends.

Proverbs 26:20

Where there is no wood, the fire goes out,

And where there is no slanderer, quarreling ceases.

[ And talking about what is corrupted and what isn't.... ]

1 Timothy 6:3-5

If any man teaches another doctrine and does not agree with the wholesome instruction, which is from our Lord Jesus Christ, nor with the teaching that is in harmony with godly devotion, he is puffed up with pride and does not understand anything. He is obsessed with arguments and debates about words. These things give rise to envy, strife, slander, wicked suspicions, constant disputes about minor matters by men who are corrupted in mind and deprived of the truth, thinking that godly devotion is a means of gain.

The one I didn't bold but may be just as important to highlight:

edit on 18-12-2023 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2023 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Creaky

Coming back to the topic of getting all angry and stirred up about something (in light of the scene about envy in the Shazam! movie from my previous comment), and one of the causes for strife being rage (or raging anger often as the result of a combination of hatred, pride/arrogance and/or envy), research indicates that unmanaged anger increases your risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, depression, and digestive problems. Anger has also been linked to insomnia, increased anxiety, skin problems, and stroke. For good reason, the Bible says: “Let go of anger and abandon rage; Do not become upset and turn to doing evil.*”—Psalm 37:8. [*: Or possibly, “Do not become upset, for it can only lead to harm.”]​

An older edition of the NWT renders it as: “Let anger alone and leave rage; do not show yourself heated up only to do evil.”

In light of this conversation, I prefer the rendering “heated up” over simply 'getting upset'. It emphasizes better as to what's going on here, also physically next to emotionally (or spiritually/mentally).

And what does the Bible consider 'doing evil', in other words, what is it warning for to avoid, what type of emotions or mental states and consequential behaviour or actions? Galatians 5:19-23:

Now the works of the flesh are plainly seen, and they are sexual immorality, uncleanness, brazen conduct, idolatry, spiritism, hostility, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, dissensions, divisions, sects, envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and things like these. I am forewarning you about these things, the same way I already warned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit God’s Kingdom.

On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, mildness, self-control. Against such things there is no law.

edit on 18-12-2023 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2023 @ 07:30 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 18 2023 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Anger, I am just incredulous that you are a member of an organisation that protects pedophiles
That, and I want to make sure everyone who reads your threads know by being a part of said organisation, you endorse it, or they will endorse it by joining

Don’t care about Shazam, don’t care about your video witnessing technique, just the truth
No more, no less

If this is truly your intent then it is noble. No one wants to be labeled with bad acting people. And if you are who I think you are you have been doing this for years to me personally repeatedly. And the truth is you have never spoken as a spiritual person, and never given uplifting spiritual comments.

Also if you are who I think you are, in the same breath you accuse them of harboring pedophiles, and then accuse them because they disfellowship them. So you contradict yourself.

Reading through Genesis as I have been doing you see quite a contrast between the way Jehovah's servants behaved and acted toward other people and the way those who do not serve God do. Abraham, Issac, and Jacob were lovers of people and lovers of peace.

And if you read right from the start even among Jehovah's people wrong conduct was happening, among them. In fact that happened in the Christian Greek Scriptures among the first century Christians as well. That is why Paul wrote to them to disfellowship the unrepentant sinners.

Everyone has the freewill to chose to be good or bad, to do right or wrong. You won't find perfection anywhere on earth. But you are a liar when you chose to ignore the truthful statements of Jehovah's Witnesses with how they treat people who are sexually immoral in the congregation. They are disfellowshipped. If they show true repentance they are welcomed back into the congregation. And if they have shown a disgusting attitude toward little children they are no longer allowed to hold positions of authority. And also they are reported to the authorities.

I will leave this one comment about the subject.

And since you feel it your responsibility to spread lies and slander I will leave this it explains the position of Jehovah's Witnesses and it is available for all to see and has been read in all the congregations around the world in front of all of Jehovah's people. So it is not as if this was some hidden thing, or something that hasn't been brought up as you have claimed:

Love and Justice in the Christian Congregation

Love and Justice in the Face of Wickedness

Providing Comfort for Victims of Abuse

As you have shown a disregard and a lack of care for reasoning on the truth of this matter I don't expect you to look into the truth for yourself. But I leave this here if you decide you do want to know the truth. And also for anyone else that happens by your misleading lies and slander.

Now here is something to think about. Is it possible that you are being too harsh in your judgement, if you really do believe the lies? There are a couple of Proverbs that may help you become less critical and fanatical in your beliefs and comments. And this may also help erode the prejudices and hatred in your heart. And it is the words of this Proverb:

"When anyone replies to a matter before he hears the facts,
It is foolish and humiliating.
"-Proverbs 18:13

The meaning? If you don't get both sides to a story and judge it based on just what one party accuses it is foolish humiliating. A little further on we are told:

"The first to state his case seems right,
Until the other party comes and cross-examines him.
"-Proverbs 18:17.

Again this means that when you hear the accusations of only one side it may appear they are justified or in the right. But you should not cast judgement before you get the facts. Which I have provided above and prove your accusations are unfounded. I have a feeling that if you were equipped with the information you would come to a differnt conclusion if you are an honest indiviual.

Now think about it. Jehovah's Witnesses are sladnered and lied about all the time. And they are aware of those accusations. And yet they are also known as honest people the world over. And as honest people who really love what is right and want to please God do you really believe they do what you say? And don't you think they have investigated these matters and continue as servants of the true God because they have seen there is no basis or grounds or merits for them?

In fact I will let you in on something. People like you that spread slander and lies while you may prejudice people against Jehovah's Witnesses, when you are brought to trial before real judges in real courtrooms have zero evidence. That happened a few years ago in Russia. Apostates and other pernicious haters of God brought many false accusations against Jehovah's Witnesses before the courts in Russia, included in these what you claimed, and others, such as they are not Christians, they are extremists, etc.

In the courtroom not one shred of real evidence was given by the prosecuters. Nothing. 0. They had a lot of grandiose claims and bombastic sounding allegations. And they couldn't produce anything in the court of law.

Many people spread false allegations and lies about Jesus Christ while he was on earth as well. But he simply stated:

"John came neither eating nor drinking, but people say, ‘He has a demon.’ The Son of man did come eating and drinking, but people say, ‘Look! A man who is a glutton and is given to drinking wine, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ All the same, wisdom is proved righteous by its works.”-Matthew 11:18-19.

In other words evil people with their wickedness will always slander Jehovah God and his son Jesus Christ, and their followers. But in the end none of that really matters. Because wisdom is proved righteous by its works. In another place Jesus said:

“Happy are you when people reproach you and persecute you and lyingly say every sort of wicked thing against you for my sake. Rejoice and be overjoyed, since your reward is great in the heavens, for in that way they persecuted the prophets prior to you."-Matthew 5:11-12.

How does it make you feel when you come to the realization that you are a part of the fulfillment of this prophecy? You are part of the people reproaching and persecuting and lyingly saying every sort of wicked thing against Jesus' followers, because they are indeed true Christians.

Also remember what we are warned:

"Do not be overly righteous, nor show yourself excessively wise. Why should you bring ruin to yourself?"-Ecclesiastes 7:16.

The point? Don't be overly critical of other people. You yourself are sinner. And in fact verse 20 follows this up with:

"For there is no righteous man on earth who always does good and never sins."

edit on Mon, 18 Dec 2023 09:35:36 -0600am121820231200000036America/ChicagoMon, 18 Dec 2023 09:35:36 -0600 by randomuser2034 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2023 @ 09:30 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 18 2023 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Creaky

The person who becomes “righteous overmuch” sets his own standards for righteousness and judges others by them. Yet, he fails to realize that by doing so, he is elevating his standards above those of God and thereby proving himself to be unrighteous in God’s sight.

Being self-righteous is unrighteous.

And also remember what David said:

"I do not associate with deceitful men,
And I avoid those who hide what they are.
I hate the company of evil men,
And I refuse to associate with the wicked.
"
-Psalm 26:4-5.

Why associate with those who are deceitful and sow discord and slander? One who wants to be blessed by God avoids those who hide what they are. And hate the company of evil men. Refusing to associate with such people. All such people have no entrance into the house of God.

Jehovah's Witnesses love the truth. They love God's word. And they love righteousness. But they are also not overly righteous or view themselves as better than others. They also are honest, and love others. That doesn't mean they don't sin. But those who willfully practice gross sin are disfellowshipped from the congregation. And when and if they repent then they are allowed back in. Jehovah is both just and merciful.

Things you may learn by reading the Bible and learning from the examples in it with how Jehovah treated his people, and people in general.

This is all I will have to say about this matter in this regard. And perhaps Jehovah may open your eyes to the truth. In any event I leave it here for all honest-hearted ones that want to know the truth.

I have no ill-will toward you. Nor do i wish to dispute with you as Proverbs 20:3 states:

"It is honorable for a man to refrain from a dispute,
But every fool will become embroiled in it.
"
-Proverbs 20:3.

This actually reminds me of a lesson given in The Watchtower study yesterday. There this scripture was applied to obeying the superior authorties and the effect reading social media posts can have on a Christian's way of thinking:

“It was extremely hard for me to be obedient,” admits Joanna, a sister in the United States, “because some in my family had suffered injustice at the hands of authorities.” But Joanna made a deliberate effort to change her thinking. First, she stopped reading social media posts that stirred up negative feelings in her toward the authorities. (Prov. 20:3) Second, she prayed for Jehovah’s help to trust in him rather than in a change in human government. (Ps. 9:9, 10) Third, she read articles in our publications about neutrality. (John 17:16) Joanna now says that respecting and obeying the authorities has left her with “a peace beyond words.”

Source par. 14.

If you perahps spent more time reading truthful accounts such as going to JW.ORG instead of getting yourself riled up at websites of oppposers, and geting enthralled with those who lie, and spread lies, and hide who they are, your spirit may calm down. And perhaps that may prevent you from sinning against both God and man, if it is really your aim to be an honest person.

I say all of these things in a spirit of mildness and reasoning. I have no ill will toward you. And can understand how bad reports and lies can affect a person. Many people have had to break down lies and prejudices they have held in their hearts. And even the most stanch of opposers of God can turn to serving him with all his people. That is where true joy and happiness can be found. And I truly wish that for you!

"I will praise you in the large congregation;
I will pay my vows before those who fear him.
The meek will eat and be satisfied;
Those seeking Jehovah will praise him.
May you enjoy life forever.
"
-Psalm 22:25-26.

edit on Mon, 18 Dec 2023 09:41:20 -0600am121820231200000020America/ChicagoMon, 18 Dec 2023 09:41:20 -0600 by randomuser2034 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2023 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: randomuser2034

In fact, I would go as far as suggesting reading the bible is a waste of time for you
You deny it
See, there is a parable about tares in the wheat, corruption in the church.
You act like your org is above corruption, denying Gods word by doing so
Keep talking, I have an endless supply of links

posted on Dec, 18 2023 @ 09:42 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 18 2023 @ 09:47 AM
link   

In fact, I would go as far as suggesting reading the bible is a waste of time for you
You deny it
See, there is a parable about tares in the wheat, corruption in the church.
You act like your org is above corruption, denying Gods word by doing so
Keep talking, I have an endless supply of links

This thread wasn't even created about Jehovah's Witnesses. It was made on the subject of reading the Bible. Something that hundreds of millions of people do every day.

I believe it was you that came in to change the subject and started throwing accusations around and haven't been on the subject of the thread from the beginning. In any event I have been courteous to you. Something you have not been. And I feel rather inclined to refrain from reading anything further you have to say. And have stated my intentions and thoughts about you in the post above.

posted on Dec, 18 2023 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I feel your anger, your hate towards me, your over abundant words indicate frustration, now anger and hate simmer

I'll requote from my post above. I have no ill will toward you nor do I feel any negative reaction. Quite the contrary my thoughts for you are thoughts of peace. As I have explained in my posts. I hope you actually calm down and take time to read it. What you said here is not true at all.

I say all of these things in a spirit of mildness and reasoning. I have no ill will toward you. And can understand how bad reports and lies can affect a person. Many people have had to break down lies and prejudices they have held in their hearts. And even the most stanch of opposers of God can turn to serving him with all his people. That is where true joy and happiness can be found. And I truly wish that for you!

"I will praise you in the large congregation;
I will pay my vows before those who fear him.
The meek will eat and be satisfied;
Those seeking Jehovah will praise him.
May you enjoy life forever."
-Psalm 22:25-26.

posted on Dec, 18 2023 @ 10:29 AM
link   

That's actually a good analogy. It actually brought to mind a recent series I found on YouTube and a particular episode. It's from China, and about a Lord who has a Prince, they serve under the Emperor. Anyway the story is about the Prince. He is actually a good person at heart and has good intentions, but a lot of lies and slanders had been spread about him. And one day the "third scholar" in the land comes to publically rebuke the prince for all of the false rumors and stories that had been spread about him. It is quite interesting as the story unfolds and how this pompous self-righteous jerk acts and behaves toward the prince, and the reaction of the prince toward the "third scholar of the land." And what actually ends up happening to the man who was so disrespectful of the prince. Worth a watch imo, even if it is a little long:

ETA:

The scholar arrives @ 10:30.

edit on Mon, 18 Dec 2023 10:36:13 -0600am121820231200000013America/ChicagoMon, 18 Dec 2023 10:36:13 -0600 by randomuser2034 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2023 @ 11:05 AM
link   
By the way, to get back on track of the spirit of this thread, I am on day 8 now of reading the Bible. I did a little calculation last night and figured at the pace I'm on, if I can keep it I should have the entire Bible read in 6 months. And anyone and everyone who wishes can join in with me as I read each day and upload it to YouTube, as they wish. I didn't think it would get any traction but I've noticed it's getting about a little over 20 views a day and YouTube says there are 2 recurring viewers every day. So I found that most interesting! I am happy if one person takes the time to listen to even a minute of God's word in their day! That brings great satisfaction to my heart.

Today is the story of Jospeh and being sold into slavery into Egypt. In all the times I've read through it, either silently, or out loud I have never been able to contain my tears for him. I hope I can do that today.

posted on Dec, 18 2023 @ 02:15 PM
link   

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join