It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New Project On Reading the Bible

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2023 @ 08:48 PM
link   
"But his delight is in the law of Jehovah,
And he reads His law in an undertone day and night.
"
-Psalm 1:2.

It has long been a goal of mine to read the Bible every day faithfully. And I have not kept that goal, even though over the years I have read through the Bible numerous times. Recently we had a branch visit to the Latin-America Branch from a member of the governing body that talked about the importance for everyone to read the Bible every day. So with renewed impetus I am renewing my effort. And with it, for this time I decided to just upload the read-through to YouTube for anyone that may run across it and want to listen to a reading, with some extemporaneous comments.

So here is my first day I read through Genesis 1-9 and make some comments on scripture. I hope to keep this up every day until I finish reading through the entire Bible and will have a record of it on YouTube and perhaps spread some light and encouragement to others to do the same.

edit on Tue, 12 Dec 2023 20:56:10 -0600pm121220231200000010America/ChicagoTue, 12 Dec 2023 20:56:10 -0600 by randomuser2034 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2023 @ 12:37 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 13 2023 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomuser2034
"But his delight is in the law of Jehovah,
And he reads His law in an undertone day and night.
"
-Psalm 1:2.

It has long been a goal of mine to read the Bible every day faithfully. And I have not kept that goal, even though over the years I have read through the Bible numerous times. Recently we had a branch visit to the Latin-America Branch from a member of the governing body that talked about the importance for everyone to read the Bible every day. So with renewed impetus I am renewing my effort. And with it, for this time I decided to just upload the read-through to YouTube for anyone that may run across it and want to listen to a reading, with some extemporaneous comments.

So here is my first day I read through Genesis 1-9 and make some comments on scripture. I hope to keep this up every day until I finish reading through the entire Bible and will have a record of it on YouTube and perhaps spread some light and encouragement to others to do the same.

I have read the Bible when I was younger.

posted on Dec, 13 2023 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Is this reading from your Kingdom Hall new world translation?
As perverted as some of the leaders in JW,org, allowing pedophiles to escape justice, protecting evil

New world translation
“The New World Translation is unique in one thing – it is the first intentional, systematic effort at producing a complete version of the Bible that is edited and revised for the specific purpose of agreeing with a group’s doctrine.”

“The New World Translation (NWT) is defined by the Jehovah’s Witnesses’ parent organization (the Watchtower Society) as "a translation of the Holy Scriptures made directly from Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek into modern-day English by a committee of anointed witnesses of Jehovah." The NWT is the anonymous work of the “New World Bible Translation Committee.” Jehovah’s Witnesses claim that the anonymity is in place so that the credit for the work will go to God. Of course, this has the added benefit of keeping the translators from any accountability for their errors and prevents real scholars from checking their academic credentials.”

On the upside, you will have plenty of time to read and listen, no more knocking on doors required
Praise God we don’t have to suffer JW,org forcing followers to door knock anymore
Seems your god was wrong when he commanded door knocking ministry, it’s now over.

It’s a great idea to read the bible, just want people to be aware your chosen translation, it’s not actually kosher
www.gotquestions.org...

posted on Dec, 13 2023 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: randomuser2034
You do know the contents of the Bible! Your Bible was compiled by Athanasius the bishop of Alexandria at the behest of Constantine the great, over 2000 bishops from across the Roman Empire were invited but only 300+ turned up to give it the seal of approval. In the meantime the real followers of the new religion including the Nazarenes (of which JC was one) opposed Romes control and requested the new religion be based in Jerusalem as opposed to Rome. They were called heretics and banished. Then once his book was agreed at the council of Nicaea Constantine declared himself gods representative on earth. He chose the books in the bible that you are now referring to, I’m sure he would be very proud of you. Certainly the New Testament, as for the Old Testament well that’s just copied and pasted from far older belief systems.

edit on 13-12-2023 by Radchad because: Spelling

edit on 13-12-2023 by Radchad because: Adding

posted on Dec, 14 2023 @ 02:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Radchad

Actually, the Niceness council was about ending the heresy of Arianism
Nothing to do with the bible and Constantine becoming a god
That’s pretty silly to suggest all that when the council was so well documented
www.thoughtco.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2023 @ 02:29 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2023 @ 10:26 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Creaky
Ok! A bit of a history lesson I think. In AD312 Constantine defeated his brother Maxentius at Milvian bridge, and as the bishop Miltiades wrote the emperor’s purpose was not to join the faith but to take over the Christian church in its entirety. At the council of Arles in AD314 Constantine declared his own Devine status by declaring himself the God of the christians representative on earth. He then began replacing some christian rituals with the familiar pagan traditions, in short the church was constructed as a hybrid to appease all factions. For example in AD314 he arbitrarily changed the date of Christs official birthday to December 25. For two reasons, it separated the Christian celebration from any Jewish association. Secondly to coincide with the customary pagan sun festival.

Constantine the Greats new religion held its first council at Nicea in AD 325 where the ground rules were made to establish Constantines new doctrine. The New Testament as we know it began to take shape in AD367 when Constantine appointed Bishop Athanasius of Alexandria to compile a list of books to be included. However, there were various criteria which governed their selection that had to be approved by Constantine. The contents were then put before the council’s of Hippo AD393 and Carthage 397. Subsequently the New Testament was subjected to numerous edits and amendments until the New Testament you are familiar with was finally approved at the council of Trento in Italy in around 1545.
However in recent times many gospels have been found that didn’t fit with Constantine’s narrative and didn’t make the cut. Such as the gospels of Thomas, the Egyptians, truth and many others, which are mentioned in the 2nd century writings of Clement of Alexandria.
So your book, your bible was produced and written under the direction of emperor Constantine, nothing Devine about it. It was produced to serve his new religion’s purpose. As for the christians who didn’t buy into this new religion (one group of which were the Nazarenes) they were persecuted and banished from the region. Many headed south but lots headed north and west. Where they still survive today.

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 10:34 AM
link   

As for my comments on when and how the Bible cannon was decided and closed please see this post in a previous thread:

Bible Canon

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Ive read your link but it’s a fairy tale I’m sorry but the apostles you’re talking about died John AD99 Peter AD 64 & Paul AD64. So exactly where were these books recorded and kept till Constantine created the New Testament?
As for Paul,
A Jew called Saul? An apostle called Paul? Or just plain invention? From religious policeman to grandee of the church, from beast fighter in Ephesus to beheading in Rome, Paul's story has more holes than a swiss cheese.
Curiously, the trail-blazing Christian missionary and apostle appears nowhere in the secular histories of his age. Ironically, though supposedly in Jerusalem at the right time, he can give no witness to a historical Jesus. But was Paul himself a genuine historical figure? The Pauline journeys, including the supposed transportation of the apostle to Rome, are characterized by incongruities, contradiction, and the absurd. The current New Testament that Christian’s continually quote is actually Constantine’s book put together in accordance with the Church of Rome narrative.
edit on 15-12-2023 by Radchad because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 12:47 PM
link   

As was mentioned there are fragments of the Christian Greek Scriptures that date back to the 2nd Century C. E. Long before you claim the Bible canon was closed by the apostate Church. This is not fairy tale.

For one example the John Rylands Papyrus 457 known as P^52 penned in Greek dates back to 2nd Century C. E.

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 02:25 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I’m not really sure what you’re trying to say? It is a fact that once Constantine became emperor he took control of the Christian religion. He appointed the Bishop of Alexandria to gather a selection of books which were obviously pre Roman to support his narrative and the direction of his new religion. So anything written before including a few fragments of papyrus was either used or discarded. Lots were discarded. These books then became the basis of the New Testament. You can quote fragments of old texts but they were only included in the New Testament if they fitted the Church of Rome narrative.
I’m interested of the 100 or so different English bibles which is your bible of choice?

posted on Dec, 16 2023 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Thanks but no thanks
Might want to reference your statement, otherwise it’s just you talking made up to justify what you believe
equip.sbts.edu...

posted on Dec, 16 2023 @ 03:53 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 16 2023 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Creaky

Thanks but no thanks
Might want to reference your statement, otherwise it’s just you talking made up to justify what you believe
equip.sbts.edu...

The clue is in the sentence midway through The Bishop of Alexandria Athanasius chose the book’s of the New Testament! Your book your bible to suit the Church of Rome.

Easter Letter (or Paschal Letter) of Athanasius is well known for giving a list of the books that ought to be considered part of the canonical Scriptures, with a supplementary list of books suitable for devotional reading.

For the New Testament, he lists the 27 books that are recognized today. I find it hard to believe that you deny Athanasiuss role religious historians and academics all accept this as factual history. But then again as the saying goes you can take a horse to water but can’t make it drink! Just like Christians can’t accept the truth. That’s why they hate historians archaeologists and researchers so much. 100 years ago the only religious history people knew was from the bible. But as technology and science moves on the stories of the bible start to unravel.

justus.anglican.org...
edit on 16-12-2023 by Radchad because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 16 2023 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Sounds like gnosticism

posted on Dec, 16 2023 @ 02:23 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 16 2023 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Creaky

Consider also if your reasoning on this subject reflects the attitude nikkie2christ and Barbsinclair demonstrate concerning this related subject, in particular what is described in the closing remark at the end of part 2 below:

edit on 16-12-2023 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join