It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Each Bitcoin transaction uses 4,200 gallons of water — enough to fill a swimming pool

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2023 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Mahogani

So? How many gallons of water are “used” every time you google something, or use your credit card online?

posted on Dec, 7 2023 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: kwaka

Why would someone want to humidify a server room? Got trouble all over that one.

Probably got confused with dehumidifying.

posted on Dec, 7 2023 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Money laundering, fraud and terrorist financing have their costs it seems.

posted on Dec, 7 2023 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lazy88
a reply to: Mahogani

So? How many gallons of water are “used” every time you google something, or use your credit card online?

I think Opie got all giggly about the topic and didn't use the old "common sense" part of his brain to think this through. Sure it's an article, so it must be true, right?

This is a result of DERPing like a pro.

posted on Dec, 7 2023 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

As of mid-July, a single bitcoin transaction required 1719.51 kilowatt hours (kWh) - where a kWh is the amount of energy a 1,000-watt appliance uses in over an hour. To put that in perspective, that is about 59 days' worth of power consumed by an average U.S. household.

?

posted on Dec, 7 2023 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer
a reply to: network dude

As of mid-July, a single bitcoin transaction required 1719.51 kilowatt hours (kWh) - where a kWh is the amount of energy a 1,000-watt appliance uses in over an hour. To put that in perspective, that is about 59 days' worth of power consumed by an average U.S. household.

?

well said.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 04:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: kwaka

Why would someone want to humidify a server room? Got trouble all over that one.

Probably got confused with dehumidifying.

Depends on the geo location as lots of stuff has a humidity threshold as it's design, the Mrs worked at a library and the archives had to be kept between a tight margin so should it go too low due to some amazing event you would need to pop a bit extra in...rare but it's cheaper to over specify and never need than suddenly go mental.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Majatoria

You can post the same about cigars. But I thought the topic was severs and electronics.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 06:15 AM
link   

You can post the same about cigars. But I thought the topic was severs and electronics.

I've worked on mainframes and the main thing they like is nothing change if at all possible as if you set the humidity to a range of 55 to 65 then there's a lot of effort actually to maintain that, maintaining that doesn't half cost a lot but in reliability it's well worth it..

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Majatoria

I've worked on mainframes and the main thing they like is nothing change if at all possible as if you set the humidity to a range of 55 to 65 then there's a lot of effort actually to maintain that, maintaining that doesn't half cost a lot but in reliability it's well worth it..

Shouldn’t Justin running the AC squeeze most of the relative humidity out of the air? And just polish / maintain it with a dehumidifier.

So what humidifier system do you run?

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Anyway..

Relative Humidity Just Right

Recommendations from the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) are for relative humidity levels to be around 50%, with an absolute low of 20% and an absolute high of 80% Maintaining ambient relative humidity levels between 45% and 55% in your data center or server room will allow for optimal equipment performance and reliability.

www.ambientedge.com...#:~:text=Recommen dations%20from%20the%20American%20Society,center%20or%20server%20room%20will

An optimal humidity level for a server room is between 40-55%. Keeping the humidity at this level is critical because if the humidity rises, it can cause condensation in the server room, and water and electronics don’t mix.

If moisture builds inside your server room, it can corrode the hardware and cause component failure. Setting an alert for when the humidity reaches 70% can prevent condensation from building in your server room.

cc-techgroup.com...

What to rethink that 65 percent?
edit on 9-12-2023 by Lazy88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 08:32 AM
link   
This is absolutely bunk.

So i followed the crumbs to the source and ended up at a link that no longer exists.

first, tom's hardware ripped this info from cell.com which ripped it from an article from some PHD in amsterdam

when you follow the DOI link to the source material it comes back as "DOI NOT FOUND"

doi.org...

every site that talks about this all refers back to cell.com and to this DOI link which seems to be dead

then when you look to see who wrote it, it is Alex De Vries a data scientist for dutch national bank. LOL

it's obvious what's going on here. banks are threatened and they're using the "Climate change" card to demonize BTC

Alex De Vries has also been widely known to be wrong on almost everything he talks about.
edit on 9-12-2023 by jidnum2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
Money laundering, fraud and terrorist financing have their costs it seems.

99% of all money laundering is done through the current fiat/debt based monetary/banking system.

posted on Dec, 10 2023 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Sorry thats me useing all that water.
My computer has a big water pump.
all the Hot water goes down the drain.

I play high end PC games and I think more do.
Thats more than Cryptocurrency mining.

Cryptocurrency mining, Bitcoins.
was just one company.
it was a threat to the banks.

so to make them fail.
they started lots of other Bitcoins.
so ideots put money in them.
they Made them fail.

all that to destabilize the main bitcoin.
Google "74 versions are functional, successful Bitcoin versions."
how many have fail'd?

Google "3,322 cryptocurrencies that were listed on
CoinGecko in 2021, have failed (categorized as a dead coin)."

posted on Dec, 11 2023 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Lazy88

We never have needed to use being in the UK but the cost for having the option or not is virtually zero on the running costs but the insurance company did like we had the option as I guess if one AC unit does get stuck trying to get humidity down to zero one of the others will work hard to keep it up till the engineers turn up.

(post by SmithAnderson removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join