It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Each Bitcoin transaction uses 4,200 gallons of water — enough to fill a swimming pool

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Mahogani

Well, I did this for a government required water consumption report for years at a plastics recycling plant. Daily water consumption. You do not need scientific studies. Just water meter readings. What goes in and what goes out, the difference is the evaporation by cooling. The amount that goes around and around in any machinery is irrelevant except at startup and shutdown for cleaning. Shutdown for cleaning would most likely not be possible without shutting the whole server farm down.

I think in this case, the regular water meter readings, input, for a server farm would indicate all water used per day as there would be very little waste water going out. Toilet use is disregarded.

I think someone counted every time the water was circulated.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogani
This is how science works, folks. People do a study for a long time, using a lot of money and research, and then they file that paper with an archive or a reputed magazine, like the Cell magazine. Then, other scientists do their studies and they either confirm or refute their findings. Until that is done, the original paper is considered a new fact. If it's updated, or new findings surface, the fact is also updated.

How cool would it be if someone from ATS was to file a paper refuting something like this!? Imagine how much traffic that would bring here if someone could do that.

Anyone have the knowledge in this field?

Hey Professor, instead of getting cranky, why not ask yourself who is paying for this water usage and why didn't the article address it?

SOMEBODY is footing the bill, and I don't think the Bitcoin traders are paying a swimming pool's worth of water to move their crypto. Does that seem logical to you?

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

Exactly. Just check the water bills. The water departments usually do not lie. They make you pay for the water.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 05:16 PM
link   

This is how science works, folks. People do a study for a long time, using a lot of money and research...

Let's pause right there and restate what's going on. People make off with a lot of money and time. When that's used up, they write a paper. After that, the job consists of securing the next grant to fund another, or different, study.

, and then they file that paper with an archive or a reputed magazine, like the Cell magazine. Then, other scientists do their studies and they either confirm or refute their findings. Until that is done, the original paper is considered a new fact. If it's updated, or new findings surface, the fact is also updated.

Don't get me wrong, studies lead to discoveries and they are completely necessary. But, the quality of the research and paper varies.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: Markovian2

Not all the transactions are done by servers. To some extent crypto is decentralized, meaning anyone can run nodes.

Bitcoin is to 'crypto' as gold is to pyrite... it is in fact the only one that is actually decentralized, but it is also much more than that. Decentralization isn't just about who can run a node. It is about who controls the protocol. And there is no company, person, or group of people that control the bitcoin protocol. It is the worlds first money 'of, by and for the people', controlled by consensus - 51% of the hash rate (nodes) - and the new Ocean protocol for miners is a game changer for solidifying the protection of the protocol. For a good idea of just how hard it is to change the bitcoin protocol, read up on the block size wars.

And lastly we’re ignoring a lot of bitcoin transactions are either lightning protocol

All lightning transactions must be finalized on the main bitcoin blockchain.

or done in an exchange which isn’t using the Bitcoin blockchain to complete the transaction.

Again - ALL bitcoin transactions are done on the blockchain - or more precisely, they are not final until they are added to the blockchain.

That's what the blockchain is, a complete and transparent record of each and every tbitcoin transaction ever done.

The broker holds X amount of massive bitcoins, the users then trade rights to portions of that pie (ironically like fiat, the antithesis of crypto).

Ok, this may sort of be true, I admit I don't know what goes on in each exchange, but I do know that some operate differently than others, but when the user takes possession of their bitcoin (not your keys, not your coins), that transaction is done on the blockchain.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

My point on lightning is that those transactions are far cheaper than a typical bitcoin transaction, so it uses less energy.

And the exchanges are also far cheaper, often a flat rate unless you take the coin out of that environment. The only way they could achieve that is by giving everyone “rights” to the coins that aren’t actually moving (on their native network). They can still use a cheaper blockchain to “prove” the transaction though.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeyondKnowledge3

I rather doubt that number of gallons is anywhere near that high. The person stating it does not seem to understand liquid cooling systems.

Yeah, it is similar to the ridiculous argumants about how much water raising cattle 'consumes' - totally ignoring the fact that pretty much all of the water the cows drink is pissed and pooped back out onto the ground, fertilizing the soil and making the ecosystem better, not worse.

Insanity...

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

This is how science works, folks. People do a study for a long time, using a lot of money and research, and then they file that paper with an archive or a reputed magazine, like the Cell magazine. Then, other scientists do their studies and they either confirm or refute their findings. Until that is done, the original paper is considered a new fact. If it's updated, or new findings surface, the fact is also updated.

How cool would it be if someone from ATS was to file a paper refuting something like this!? Imagine how much traffic that would bring here if someone could do that.

Anyone have the knowledge in this field?

Hey Professor, instead of getting cranky, why not ask yourself who is paying for this water usage and why didn't the article address it?

Cranky? I have a smile on my face, it's a good day off with my family. And it's raining outside, and I started the first fire of the season in our big fireplace.

Ok, curmudgeon, are you planning on doing that research or are you accepting the one that was done?

First step would be to see if the study is wrong, or not. If it's wrong then you can follow the money. If it's right, who cares.

Let me know how your research goes. If I miss your reply, send me a PM and I'll read it.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 05:50 PM
link   

So, the Magic Water Fairy covers the water bill.
This "study" is pointless and incomplete.

Derp

I

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Bitcoin average transaction fee chart (in USD)

The current Bitcoin transaction cost is $27.69 USD.

As for how much the water bill is in this along with the electricity and networking costs? Something stinks bad in this report.

The first involves onsite (direct) water use for cooling systems and air humidification.

Why would someone want to humidify a server room? Got trouble all over that one.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: kwaka

The current Bitcoin transaction cost is $27.69 USD.

Which is measuring it at one of its highest volume periods in some time. In the last year the low was below a dollar.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 06:56 PM
link   

This is how science works, folks. People do a study for a long time, using a lot of money and research, and then they file that paper with an archive or a reputed magazine, like the Cell magazine.

And here you are regurgitating paid for propaganda for free.......

Those of us in the crypto space are well versed to this by now.

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Al Gore tried to use that too LOL, "This is how science works".. But he never did any real science. They paid a bunch of unscrupulous left wing PhD's to fabricate the science.

And then the ice caps didn't melt.
The globalists don't want common people making any living from Bitcoin or any other crypto for the obvious reasons. You must be poor and dependent on their orwellian solutions.

None of this is a big secret.

ETA: I'm making bank this week on crypto, and it's interesting to see these crazy stories popping up when common regular people start making good money, they want it all torn down.

A swimming pool full of water for every little 'bit'sie transaction? roflmao.
edit on 6-12-2023 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: edit

posted on Dec, 6 2023 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Tell us you have no idea how water cooling systems work without telling us.

posted on Dec, 7 2023 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61
I would think that any water "consumed" in the process could be reclaimed (unless it's evaporating outdoors). Water doesn't just disappear.

Something in this story is off.

That's right, nothing really 'disappears'. We can just recollect this water later someplace else.

Also, if it is true that Cryptocurrency is bad for the planet - then my Spidey Sense says to double down on that, since anything 'bad' is uplifted and promoted to all.

posted on Dec, 7 2023 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Hell YES!!!

Bitcoin has totally changed the laws of physics and once water is used in the bitcoin process, it's gone. Forevah. No evaporation, no collection, no rain. Just #ing gone! At this rate, we won't have swimming pools by March!!!

And what of the damn polar bears!!!!!

It's time to move back to monarchs and surfs. It's the only way to solve this horrible problem.

Oh, and DERP!

posted on Dec, 7 2023 @ 08:45 AM
link   
If you believe this you are a fing moron.

Does an email cost hundreds of gallons to send? Because that's basically what they are saying.

Do you all really trust the federal reserve more than your peers?

I can send 1 million dollars peer to peer around the globe instantly on the lightning network. With more security than a bank, without any 3rd party oversight or fees for about as much as it takes to run a strand of led Christmas lights for a few seconds.

Truth is bitcoin mining causes less environmental damage than mining ANYTHING in real life. While my fiat dollars are being perpetually inflated from mass printing my Bitcoin is guaranteed to go up because of it's built in scarcity.

Bitcoin isn't the bogeyman it's the unregulated private world bank that prints the global currency. That is probably gonna implode sometime next year. Meanwhile Bitcoin will be $100k a coin...

posted on Dec, 7 2023 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Cooling water is typically recirculated for a while then discarded (mostly if not entirely) uncontaminated.

This isn't an issue at all.

posted on Dec, 7 2023 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

Short answer is cooling purposes.

posted on Dec, 7 2023 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

Double, soz, my bad.
edit on 7-12-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join