It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actress Melissa Barrera cancelled over comments on Israel-Hamas conflict

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

I am sure that the reason given for firing her will be very difficult to defend in a court of law (as someone else suggested that she could take them to court) because they have redefined what anti-semitism is making it clear she is anti-semitic and engaging in hate speech. On the basis of this they fired her. I dint think they can prove their claims.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage
a reply to: Leviathan4

Spyglass Media Group is a company free to do as it pleases within the law.
I thought you supported people like Musk doing the same thing with his companies? ATS has owners and it's T&Cs and you can get banned for disregarding them, the same principle, or do you also disagree with that?

I don't support any type of censorship. You're probably mistaken and think I am someone else.

I was against the censorship over Covid, lockdowns, the 'wonderful' vaccines,
I am against the censorship over the US Elections, the censorship in the war between Russia and Ukraine.

I don't remember Musk censoring others when he took over. You're very mistaken again. He pledged to get rid of the arbiters of truth who were censoring and silencing twitter accounts under the old management. And he made it as he fired all of those idiots who thought they could ban anyone who had a different opinion on a range of matters, including experts in the medical fields. Do you know what is to be a medical expert and be banned by a person who doesn't even have a high school diploma...

By the way how things are in your country. Is the Astrazeneca vaccine completely banned? Last time I checked it wasn't available for public use...

Anyway, to fire someone for their political opinions is not only wrong but highly provocative. Especially in this case where anti-semitism has been redefined in order to be used against the actress. So, on the basis of an erroneous and highly problematic definition the actress has been fired. I want to see how they can justify it because they need to prove she is anti-semitic and has engaged in hate speech.
edit on 24-11-2023 by Leviathan4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 04:37 AM
link   

"Oh, look! There's a sudden conflict in my schedule as well. I said no screams on a Wednesday!"

Jenna Ortega has dropped out of “Scream 7” due to her “Wednesday” Season 2 shooting schedule, Variety has confirmed. The news of her exit comes one day after her co-star Melissa Barrera was fired from the horror movie due to Barrera’s social media posts about Israel and Palestine.

Jenna Ortega Exits ‘Scream 7’ Due to ‘Wednesday’ Season 2 Schedule

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Leviathan4

originally posted by: Daughter2v2
a reply to: Kurokage

There is a line.

You are getting into religious views and political activities.

As long as they aren't breaking any laws they can hire and fire who ever they want.

Thanks for telling us.
The audience had no idea and we've learnt something new.

Your welcome, it's always good to see a "new" member like you learn something!

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 07:44 AM
link   

I don't support any type of censorship. You're probably mistaken and think I am someone else.

Oh, I'm postive who you were in the past and not mistaken, and you were happy when he took over twitter and sacked people....

"Elon Musk should be working to make sure his platform is woke-free" "The question is, if you were Elon Musk would you have fired all these role employees, moderators, and arbiters of truth? I mean, if it was me, without a second thought!"

Oh the hipocracy

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Oh, I'm postive who you were in the past and not mistaken, and you were happy when he took over twitter and sacked people....

"Elon Musk should be working to make sure his platform is woke-free" "The question is, if you were Elon Musk would you have fired all these role employees, moderators, and arbiters of truth? I mean, if it was me, without a second thought!"

Oh the hipocracy

You seem to not have read my message above.
But let's see this again.

I don't remember Musk censoring others when he took over. You're very mistaken again. He pledged to get rid of the arbiters of truth who were censoring and silencing twitter accounts under the old management. And he made it as he fired all of those idiots who thought they could ban anyone who had a different opinion on a range of matters, including experts in the medical fields. Do you know what is to be a medical expert and be banned by a person who doesn't even have a high school diploma...

Clearly he got rid of the censorship and the arbiters of truth. The exact opposite of what you said he did and what I did. I support the termination of censorship.

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Insurrectile

"Oh, look! There's a sudden conflict in my schedule as well. I said no screams on a Wednesday!"

Jenna Ortega has dropped out of “Scream 7” due to her “Wednesday” Season 2 shooting schedule, Variety has confirmed. The news of her exit comes one day after her co-star Melissa Barrera was fired from the horror movie due to Barrera’s social media posts about Israel and Palestine.

Absolutely!

And I thought she was censored by the arbiters of truth. I may have been mistaken after all....

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 10:10 AM
link   

You clearly don't understand.

Just like Skyglass Media, Musk fired those he wanted to, it was his company to do with as he wishes within the law. Are you missing the point on purpose to suit you opinion I wonder?
It's not like you've done that before, and then continued to post the same quote over and over.

The question is, if you were Elon Musk would you have fired all these role employees, moderators, and arbiters of truth? I mean, if it was me, without a second thought!"

But because she was removed because of her comments about Israel, now it's wrong?? Double standards much??
edit on 25-11-2023 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Absolutely!

And I thought she was censored by the arbiters of truth. I may have been mistaken after all....

Also lots of actors have had to drop out of certain movies because of schedule reshuffling after the strikes finished.

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Absolutely!

Also lots of actors have had to drop out of certain movies because of schedule reshuffling after the strikes finished.

Being sarcastic of course.

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 10:41 AM
link   

No I'm not...

Hollywood is in talks with lots of actors as many movies will now have conflicting schedules.
mashable.com...

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 10:42 AM
link   

You clearly don't understand.

Just like Skyglass Media, Musk fired those he wanted to, it was his company to do with as he wishes within the law. Are you missing the point on purpose to suit you opinion I wonder?
It's not like you've done that before, and then continued to post the same quote over and over.

The question is, if you were Elon Musk would you have fired all these role employees, moderators, and arbiters of truth? I mean, if it was me, without a second thought!"

But because she was removed because of her comments about Israel, now it's wrong?? Double standards much??

I understand very well what is going on. You seem to want to make comparisons between Musk and the Skyglass nonsense that cancelled the actress because of her political views. Not only they cancelled her but they seem to have defamed her too by saying she is engaging in anti-semitism and hate speech. I am sure they can prove it...

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I understand very well what is going on. You seem to want to make comparisons between Musk and the Skyglass nonsense that cancelled the actress because of her political views. Not only they cancelled her but they seem to have defamed her too by saying she is engaging in anti-semitism and hate speech. I am sure they can prove it...

Thinking you understand and actually understanding are two different thing!!

So Musk didn't fire people he wanted gone because he believed they were bad for his company, just as Spyglass have done?
Double standards really isn't a good look for anyone!!

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 11:25 AM
link   

So Musk didn't fire people he wanted gone because he believed they were bad for his company, just as Spyglass have done?

Musk fired them because they were woke moderators who had direct orders from the top to censor and silence members on a range of matters. And he did very well at that time stopping the extreme censorship on his platform. I see nothing wrong with it. Any sane person would like the arbiters of truth to go away from social media.

The actress Melissa Barrera didn't censor or silence someone as far as I know. She was cancelled because of her political views. Criticising the way Israel has handled the situation and she was cancelled because of it. Not only cancelled but defamed too as she has been accused of anti-semitism and hate against the Jews.

There is nothing in comparison between these two events.

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I see nothing wrong with it.

So you see nothing wrong with people being fired because of a boss' opinion of them? Such hypocracy here from you.

Barrera was fired because the Spyglass leadership decided she had put their company in a bad light, Musk fire moderators because he believed they were putting twitter in a bad light. No difference.

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Musk fired them because they were woke moderators who had direct orders from the top to censor and silence members on a range of matters. And he did very well at that time stopping the extreme censorship on his platform. I see nothing wrong with it. Any sane person would like the arbiters of truth to go away from social media.

The actress Melissa Barrera didn't censor or silence someone as far as I know. She was cancelled because of her political views. Criticising the way Israel has handled the situation and she was cancelled because of it. Not only cancelled but defamed too as she has been accused of anti-semitism and hate against the Jews.

There is nothing in comparison between these two events.

They are trying to keep the narrative as any rhetoric that criticizes Israel government leaders is automatically to be labelled as anti-semitic, also known as playing the anti-semitic card, or weaponizing anti-semitism to push a narrative.

Susan Sarandon was fired as well for speaking out at a pro-Palestinian rally.

She was among the Hollywood stars, including Joaquin Phoenix and Cate Blanchett, urging US President Joe Biden to demand a cease-fire in Israel’s war against Hamas.

“There’s a terrible thing that’s happened where antisemitism has been confused with speaking up against Israel,” she said. “I am against antisemitism. I am against Islamophobia.”

The industry insider magazine cited company sources who said Barrera was removed due to her social media posts, including referring to Israel as a “colonized” land and for saying that Israel controls the media.

"I too come from a colonized country. Palestine will be free," she wrote in an Instagram post which was viewed as "antisemitic."

"Western media only shows the other (Israeli) side. Why do they do that, I will let you deduce for yourself," she wrote in a separate Instagram story.

"Censorship is very real. Palestinians know this, they know the world has been trying to make them invisible for decades. Keep sharing," she said.

www.aa.com.tr...

This is from wikipedia:

Controversy
In November 2023, it was reported that Barrera had been fired from her lead role in the upcoming sequel Scream VII. She had made social media posts in support of Palestine, in which she described Israel's actions in the 2023 Israel–Hamas war as "genocide and ethnic cleansing". Barrera's posts were interpreted by Gary Barber and Roger Birnbaum as antisemitic hate speech, and a statement was subsequently issued by Spyglass stating that they have zero tolerance for "false references to genocide".

How can her bosses determine the meaning of what is or what isn't genocide when they are not U.N. human rights lawyers?

posted on Nov, 28 2023 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

There is only one word for this: Unacceptable!
A female actress who was cancelled for expressing her political view. Accordingly a large part of the world's population must be cancelled by their employers because they hold the exact same views.

posted on Nov, 29 2023 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: CaptainX

And how many has Musk 'cancelled'?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join