It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actress Melissa Barrera cancelled over comments on Israel-Hamas conflict

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Daughter2v2

I was not agreeing with what they did to her. I think they should allow her opinion and move on. The message they sent was not to the masses, it was to anyone the studio employees.

Her message was to the masses, and since she has that power to influence against the studios obvious beliefs, they fired her.
I agree, they should have left it alone and allowed it to pass without bringing the attention to it, but like everyone else they do irrational things when governing with feelings.

She will be okay, all the studios do not subscribe to the same doctrine, and now she knows a little more who you can and cannot trust to be truthful with, and so does every other actor that is paying attention.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive
a reply to: Daughter2v2

I was not agreeing with what they did to her. I think they should allow her opinion and move on. The message they sent was not to the masses, it was to anyone the studio employees.

Her message was to the masses, and since she has that power to influence against the studios obvious beliefs, they fired her.
I agree, they should have left it alone and allowed it to pass without bringing the attention to it, but like everyone else they do irrational things when governing with feelings.

She will be okay, all the studios do not subscribe to the same doctrine, and now she knows a little more who you can and cannot trust to be truthful with, and so does every other actor that is paying attention.

They have redefined what anti-semitism is. And they used their confused definition to cancel her. Absolutely unacceptable!

As if the world cannot see what is happening in Gaza and that innocent civilians are slaughtered in their thousands.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Leviathan4

Well, cancel them. Refuse to watch their movies. Actors who are paying attention and disagree will steer clear of this studio.

Everyone is shocked when ugly shows its face.
We should be thankful they did so you can stop unknowingly supporting it.
edit on 24-11-2023 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Leviathan4

originally posted by: Klassified

Miss Berrera has every right to speak her mind publicly without repercussions from government. That is her right, but she is not free from the consequences of speaking her mind in the private sector

Same is true in the private sector. You can still speak your mind.

Her 'employers' have decided what 'anti-semitism' is and on the basis of their confused interpretation decided to cancel her over her political views.

Remember when Disney went woke. Most sane people are against companies that are going woke and try to cancel whoever they can. Likewise here.

I didn't say I agreed with her employer. I didn't agree with all the censorship and cancel culture during the pandemic either, but the only way to settle those disputes is to...
A. Get another job.
or
B. Let the courts decide if the employer stepped over the line.

The first amendment does not cover the private sector. It is aimed at limiting government over reach.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Well, cancel them. Refuse to watch their movies. Actors who are paying attention and disagree will steer clear of this studio.

Everyone is shocked when ugly shows its face.
We should be thankful they did so you can stop unknowingly supporting it.

Supporting what?

I haven't watched 'Scream' by the way but I am only interested in their ridiculous interpretation of anti-semitism made by her employer so to cancel her. That cannot be right. She isn't the only actor as far as I know who has been cancelled lately for the same reason.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Miss Berrera has every right to speak her mind publicly without repercussions from government. That is her right, but she is not free from the consequences of speaking her mind in the private sector

Her 'employers' have decided what 'anti-semitism' is and on the basis of their confused interpretation decided to cancel her over her political views.

Remember when Disney went woke. Most sane people are against companies that are going woke and try to cancel whoever they can. Likewise here.

I didn't say I agreed with her employer. I didn't agree with all the censorship and cancel culture during the pandemic either, but the only way to settle those disputes is to...
A. Get another job.
or

The first amendment does not cover the private sector. It is aimed at limiting government over reach.

The employer did step over the line by redefining what anti-semitism is and on the basis of it they cancelled her. Freedom of speech is freedom of speech and a good lawsuit will clear this matter. She has been cancelled on the basis of her political views.

Likewise when people were cancelled when they expressed their opinions about the pandemic and the wonderful response to it or the vaccines.
edit on 24-11-2023 by Leviathan4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 12:07 PM
link   

A. Get another job.
or

The employer did step over the line by redefining what anti-semitism is and on the basis of it they cancelled her. Freedom of speech is freedom of speech and a good lawsuit will clear this matter. She has been cancelled on the basis of her political views.

Likewise when people were cancelled when they expressed their opinions about the pandemic and the wonderful response to it or the vaccines.

If she believes this to be true, then the courts are the next destination for her.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 12:08 PM
link   

A. Get another job.
or

If she believes this to be true, then the courts are the next destination for her.

Yes, I think this is the right move.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Disney did it to Gina Carano over Ukraine. People boycotted Disney over it and she found another studio to support her art.

I'm not saying it is right that they fired Mrs. Barrera for her opinion because I did not see anything wrong with it, but they did. If you do not agree, do not support either side you do not align with. They have the right to fire her over feelings, and they have showed the rest of the world what those are. Going forward people will act accordingly to their beliefs and either support her or the studio.

What else do you suggest anyone do?

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Disney did it to Gina Carano over Ukraine. People boycotted Disney over it and she found another studio to support her art.

I'm not saying it is right that they fired Mrs. Barrera for her opinion because I did not see anything wrong with it, but they did. If you do not agree, do not support either side you do not align with. They have the right to fire her over feelings, and they have showed the rest of the world what those are. Going forward people will act accordingly to their beliefs and either support her or the studio.

What else do you suggest anyone do?

Yes, I don't think they have acted wisely in this case as the studio whatever they are called cannot redefine what anti-semitism is and fired her over their confused definition. The reason they have fired her must be challenged in a court of Law as they need to prove that criticisms of Israel and its policies over Gaza is indeed anti-semitism and hate speech.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 12:58 PM
link   

It's amusing to see free speech advocates as long as it's about anti-Semitism.

lol

Where were the free speech advocates when non-leftists got shouted down in colleges, got fired from businesses?

Where were the free speech advocates during covid?

How about the free speech advocates about Biden's laptop?

Crickets all.

But you have to have that free speech to denigrate Jews.

lol

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

It's amusing to see free speech advocates as long as it's about anti-Semitism.

lol

Where were the free speech advocates when non-leftists got shouted down in colleges, got fired from businesses?

Where were the free speech advocates during covid?

How about the free speech advocates about Biden's laptop?

Crickets all.

But you have to have that free speech to denigrate Jews.

lol

I think you're very much mistaken if you imply that I wasn't advocating about free speech about all the points you made. And there have been many who said exactly the same things about all types of censorship, either on covid, lockdowns, vaccines, the cancellation of individuals by their employers and their colleges, and so on. Really bad argument you made. But you keep making similar arguments.

The irony is that you got a star for it...

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 01:37 PM
link   

There's no irony in pointing out gross hypocrisy.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Depends on what you call gross hypocrisy.
People discuss usually about the most recent matters just as the war in Israel-Palestine. That's why there is so much attention, it's the most recent and one of the most brutal conflicts.

But again why someone has to be fired? Because of their political opinions? This way almost everyone is at risk of losing their jobs if their employers found out what they think and what they believe.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 02:03 PM
link   

People discuss usually about the most recent matters just as the war in Israel-Palestine. That's why there is so much attention, it's the most recent and one of the most brutal conflicts.

But again why someone has to be fired? Because of their political opinions? This way almost everyone is at risk of losing their jobs if their employers found out what they think and what they believe.

No.

I'm a firm believer in the Constitution, a veteran, it's part of the reason my company hired me.

Maybe because the left holds such disgusting political viewpoints that they have to stay silent.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 02:09 PM
link   

No.

I'm a firm believer in the Constitution, a veteran, it's part of the reason my company hired me.

Maybe because the left holds such disgusting political viewpoints that they have to stay silent.

But this isn't a left or right issue.
The war is no such thing. But you don't need to be left wing to criticise the Israeli Government or to support a ceasefire and peace.

And it's great that people from all parts of life have done so in the last 6 weeks.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 02:11 PM
link   

No.

The war is no such thing. But you don't need to be left wing to criticise the Israeli Government or to support a ceasefire and peace.

And it's great that people from all parts of life have done so in the last 6 weeks.

It's even better that the majority still stands with Israel, regardless of their political leanings.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 02:14 PM
link   

No.

It's even better that the majority still stands with Israel, regardless of their political leanings.

I don't think the majority supports the war and as far as I have seen the majorities around the world support ceasefire and peace. Unless supporting Israel means supporting the war which I wouldn't think so.

And by the way Israel has lost a lot of support after deciding to bomb innocent civilians and kill so many. Unless again you don't want to accept what is happening in the world or around you.

It's great that actors speak up and she isn't the only one. And you don't have to be Muslim to speak up against what has happened

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 02:20 PM
link   

No.

I don't think the majority supports the war and as far as I have seen the majorities around the world support ceasefire and peace. Unless supporting Israel means supporting the war which I wouldn't think so.

Yeah, that's your trope.

And by the way Israel has lost a lot of support after deciding to bomb innocent civilians and kill so many. Unless again you don't want to accept what is happening in the world or around you.

You've chosen to defend terrorists.

*shrugs*

So have others.

It's great that actors speak up and she isn't the only one. And you don't have to be Muslim to speak up against what has happened

Don't really care and to be honest? Don't really know who this chick is.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 02:21 PM
link   

www.hollywoodreporter.com...

Melissa Barrera is no longer starring in Scream VII. The actor was dropped from the project after a series of social media posts in the wake of the Israel-Hamas War.

“Gaza is currently being treated like a concentration camp,” she wrote in one post on Instagram stories. “Cornering everyone together, with no where to go, no electricity no water … People have learnt nothing from our histories. And just like our histories, people are still silently watching it all happen. THIS IS GENOCIDE & ETHNIC CLEANSING

A spokesperson for Spyglass, the company behind the Scream franchise, issued a statement after the initial publication of this article: “Spyglass’ stance is unequivocally clear: We have zero tolerance for antisemitism or the incitement of hate in any form, including false references to genocide, ethnic cleansing, Holocaust distortion or anything that flagrantly crosses the line into hate speech.”

Something very expectable to happen when anyone voices opposition to what Israel is currently doing in Gaza which includes the mass killings of thousands of innocent civilians, the forced expulsion of hundreds of thousands of them, the collective punishment of the population of Gaza, the disproportional aerial bombardment of the civilian population, the attacks on civilian structures, hospitals, humanitarian workers, and the incitement to genocide by many Israeli Politicians and Officials.

An actor who is cancelled because she criticised the policies of Israel in Gaza and for stating what everyone has seen who followed the news over the last 6 weeks. I don't know whether there is any doubt that Gaza is an open air concentration camp, or that Israel has killed thousands of innocent civilians, or that Israel has committed war crimes and crimes against humanity.

But according to her 'employers' criticisms and condemnations of Israel are equivalent to anti-semitism and incitement to hate. The usual false equivalency arguments and claims that are brought up, this time by Spyglass, the company behind the Scream franchise.

More links

www.nbcnews.com...

www.cnn.com...

www.theguardian.com...

So she lost her acting job. There goes any semblance of leverage the media had. On the bright side, she now has the opportunity to pursue honest work AND the means to broadcast her scorn until she runs out of words to type.

Also, the scream franchise is mid horror cinema. Jordan Peele is where it's at.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join