It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actress Melissa Barrera cancelled over comments on Israel-Hamas conflict

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 09:29 AM
link   
www.hollywoodreporter.com...

Melissa Barrera is no longer starring in Scream VII. The actor was dropped from the project after a series of social media posts in the wake of the Israel-Hamas War.

“Gaza is currently being treated like a concentration camp,” she wrote in one post on Instagram stories. “Cornering everyone together, with no where to go, no electricity no water … People have learnt nothing from our histories. And just like our histories, people are still silently watching it all happen. THIS IS GENOCIDE & ETHNIC CLEANSING

A spokesperson for Spyglass, the company behind the Scream franchise, issued a statement after the initial publication of this article: “Spyglass’ stance is unequivocally clear: We have zero tolerance for antisemitism or the incitement of hate in any form, including false references to genocide, ethnic cleansing, Holocaust distortion or anything that flagrantly crosses the line into hate speech.”

Something very expectable to happen when anyone voices opposition to what Israel is currently doing in Gaza which includes the mass killings of thousands of innocent civilians, the forced expulsion of hundreds of thousands of them, the collective punishment of the population of Gaza, the disproportional aerial bombardment of the civilian population, the attacks on civilian structures, hospitals, humanitarian workers, and the incitement to genocide by many Israeli Politicians and Officials.

An actor who is cancelled because she criticised the policies of Israel in Gaza and for stating what everyone has seen who followed the news over the last 6 weeks. I don't know whether there is any doubt that Gaza is an open air concentration camp, or that Israel has killed thousands of innocent civilians, or that Israel has committed war crimes and crimes against humanity.

But according to her 'employers' criticisms and condemnations of Israel are equivalent to anti-semitism and incitement to hate. The usual false equivalency arguments and claims that are brought up, this time by Spyglass, the company behind the Scream franchise.

More links

www.nbcnews.com...

www.cnn.com...

www.theguardian.com...

edit on 24-11-2023 by Leviathan4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 09:32 AM
link   
It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if TPTB silences your opinion, then that means they are trying to hide the truth. You don't have to hide lies, because lies are lies, and only the truth really hurts.

edit on E11am11000000America/ChicagoFriday92023 by EmmanuelGoldstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein
It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if TPTB silences your opinion, then that means they are trying to hide the truth. You don't have to hide lies, because lies are lies, and only the truth really hurts.

Indeed!! The truth really hurts!!

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 09:38 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

“First and foremost I condemn antisemitism and Islamophobia. I condemn hate and prejudice of any kind against any group of people,” she wrote. “As a Latina, a proud Mexicana, I feel the responsibility of having a platform that allows me the privilege of being heard, and therefore I have tried to use it to raise awareness about issues I care about and to lend my voice to those in need.”

She continued by writing, “Every person on this earth … deserves equal human rights, dignity and, of course, freedom. I believe a group of people are NOT their leadership, and that no governing body should be above criticism.”

“I pray day and night for no more deaths, for no more violence, and for peaceful co-existence,” she concluded her statement. “I will continue to speak out for those that need it most and continue to advocate for peace and safety, for human rights and freedom. Silence is not an option for me.”

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Leviathan4

Spyglass Media Group is a company free to do as it pleases within the law.
I thought you supported people like Musk doing the same thing with his companies? ATS has owners and it's T&Cs and you can get banned for disregarding them, the same principle, or do you also disagree with that?

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Oh bless. Silly little airhead actress. You can say what you like on the casting couch, but don't talk about things you don't understand anywhere else toots.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

There is a line.

You are getting into religious views and political activities.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TheWhat

What she said wasn't inaccurate.

But that doesn't excuse the Hamas terrorists. Israel should be free to deal with them as they see fit.

The last scream movie was really stupid, so it may be her best interests in the long run.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 09:50 AM
link   

It is not what she said, it's that she said anything while having an audience. If you or I say these things, no big deal, we do not influence anyone in mass.

She is an example to others, the message is to shut up and keep your opinions to yourself, especially when the people you offend pay your bills. They will decide the message sent to the people, not you.

The message sent: Do not Sh@t where you eat.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 09:51 AM
link   
People need to be able to express their views.

Trying to silence and bully people with opposing views is a sure sign that you are on the wrong side.

At a certain point, it backfires too. I never even heard this comment before. The firing gave it even more publicity.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daughter2v2

There is a line.

As long as they aren't breaking any laws they can hire and fire who ever they want.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Miss Berrera has every right to speak her mind publicly without repercussions from government. That is her right, but she is not free from the consequences of speaking her mind in the private sector.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Production companies are not keen on outspoken minor actors and if they get dropped by one others will be reluctant to engage them. It's OK when you're a household name, but until then, if you want a career stick to tweeting about shoes, lipstick and who you're going to wear next.

originally posted by: watchitburn
a reply to: TheWhat

What she said wasn't inaccurate.

But that doesn't excuse the Hamas terrorists. Israel should be free to deal with them as they see fit.

The last scream movie was really stupid, so it may be her best interests in the long run.

edit on 24-11-2023 by TheWhat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I would say her career is over but since Gina Carano picked up a studio so will Melissa Barrera. I doubt the Daily Wire will be the one helping, but there are others like Angel Studios, who do not seem to mind Mel Gibson's past words.
edit on 24-11-2023 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive

It is not what she said, it's that she said anything while having an audience. If you or I say these things, no big deal, we do not influence anyone in mass.

She is an example to others, the message is to shut up and keep your opinions to yourself, especially when the people you offend pay your bills. They will decide the message sent to the people, not you.

The message sent: Do not Sh@t where you eat.

Hmmm.

Let's unpack this message.

What do you think the masses have learned from that message?

From your post you think the message is "Don't say anything in support of Gaza or you will get fired".

Most people under 50 don't care about being fired. They really don't. Too many decades of being let go for mergers/cut backs/shutdowns. Losing your job is just part of life for the younger generation.

I think the employer comes off as a bully. Why should employers be the ones to decide what is told to the masses? It's a new world in which small voices CAN reach the masses.

A small, poor voice is just as valid as a rich, connected and loud voice. 

The response of firing probably didn't have the effect on the masses the employers thought it would.
If they would listen to people instead of bully them, they would have known that.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The best way to find out who really rules over you is to find who you are not allowed to criticize. Melissa just learned this lesson.

Remember the more flack you receive the closer you are to the target. Keep pushing against their narratives.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage

As long as they aren't breaking any laws they can hire and fire who ever they want.

Well, if it was in California, they have laws against firing people due to political affiliations and activities:
ttps://www.mesrianilaw.com/blog/does-california-law-protect-employees-from-political-affiliation-discrimination-at-work/

"California Labor Code § 1101 prohibits employers from having “any rule, regulation, or policy” (1) forbidding or preventing employees from engaging or participating in politics or running for office; or (2) “controlling or directing, or tending to control or direct the political activities or affiliations of employees.” That statute prohibits employers from taking action against employees for their political activities that don’t directly affect their job performance. "

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage

originally posted by: Daughter2v2

There is a line.

Thanks for telling us.
The audience had no idea and we've learnt something new.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Miss Berrera has every right to speak her mind publicly without repercussions from government. That is her right, but she is not free from the consequences of speaking her mind in the private sector

Same is true in the private sector. You can still speak your mind.

Her 'employers' have decided what 'anti-semitism' is and on the basis of their confused interpretation decided to cancel her over her political views.

Remember when Disney went woke. Most sane people are against companies that are going woke and try to cancel whoever they can. Likewise here.
edit on 24-11-2023 by Leviathan4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980
The best way to find out who really rules over you is to find who you are not allowed to criticize. Melissa just learned this lesson.

Remember the more flack you receive the closer you are to the target. Keep pushing against their narratives.

Absolutely!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join