It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservative and Labour MPs sacked and suspended over ceasefire and peace comments

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 06:26 AM
link   
news.sky.com...

A Conservative MP has been sacked from his government post after calling for a ceasefire in Gaza.

Paul Bristow has been asked to leave his position as a parliamentary private secretary (PPS) after writing to Prime Minister Rishi Sunak to urge a "permanent" break in fighting between Israel and Hamas.

He was fired for comments that are "not consistent with the principles of collective responsibility," a Number 10 spokesperson said.

www.bbc.com...

Andy McDonald has been suspended as a Labour MP, after the party said he had made "deeply offensive" comments relating to the Israel-Gaza war

The MP for Middlesbrough used the phrase "between the river and the sea" in a speech at a pro-Palestinian rally.

From the his twitter page

twitter.com...

I’m pleased to see on p 26 of today’s print edition of
@thetimes a correction & apology for misrepresenting my words, which has furthered baseless & extremely harmful accusations against me.

To avoid any further errors, here are the words that I said, which I stand by

We won't rest until we have justice, until all people, Israelis and Palestinians, between the river and the same can live in peaceful liberty

As absurd as it gets!

After a huge demonstration in London last Saturday where half million people from different backgrounds marched for peace and for the end of hostilities, clearly showing there is no much support for war and condemning the bombing campaign by Israel that has resulted in the killings of thousands of innocent civilians, mostly women and children.

Then the false equivalency arguments were presented where supporters of ceasefire and peace are now branded as supporters of Hamas and terrorism or even Nazi sympathisers... The most flawed argument that can be made having basis only in the twisted minds of those who made it.

It reminds me of the covid dogma where nobody was allowed to question it! Nobody is allowed to question the tactics and decisions by the Israeli Government. If you do then you're risking getting labelled as

1) An antisemite
2) A Hamas supporter
3) A supporter of terrorism
4) A Nazi sympathiser or just Nazi
5) You also risk getting sacked from your job or suspended pending investigations...

So what is that we get now?!

A Conservative MP who was sacked for arguing for ceasefire just like millions of his compatriots. Asking for ceasefire and for peace seems to be a new 'crime' or a sin and an abomination.

A Labour MP who argues for peace and liberty for all people, Israelis and Palestinians, from the river to the sea...

It looks like the establishment is losing this 'war' big time. They have been left out with nothing other than censorship, cancellation of politicians, threats, and wild and unsubstantiated accusations against everyone else who doesn't follow their dogma.
edit on 1-11-2023 by Leviathan4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Careful from now on not to argue in favour of a ceasefire as you're risking getting suspended or even sacked.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Leviathan4

"The new normal..."

Ain't it cool?!😎

Psychopaths are marching the whole lot of us straight into hell! No reasoning or tempered discourse? Really?? Just blood, death and misery???

I guess it's war then, no? Seems like only the leadership wants it, which is crazy considering everyone else DOES NOT LIKE ALWAYS, and yet the majority allows the few to control their destiny...

Division is a helluva weapon.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: VariedcodeSole

"The new normal..."

Ain't it cool?!😎

Psychopaths are marching the whole lot of us straight into hell! No reasoning or tempered discourse? Really?? Just blood, death and misery???

I guess it's war then, no? Seems like only the leadership wants it, which is crazy considering everyone else DOES NOT LIKE ALWAYS, and yet the majority allows the few to control their destiny...

Division is a helluva weapon.

Indeed!!

The manu must not allow the few to control their destinies.

The war does only serve one purpose: To make enormous profits for the defense industry when at the same time more and more people die or get injured at an alarming rate.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Hamas is a proscribed terrorist group in the UK, meaning it is an offence to belong to or support it

I don’t know much about the political system in the UK but it seems it’s a slap on the wrist.
Similar to being censured here in the US?
A minor rebuking?
It’s good to see some accountability from any politicians.
It’s a valuable lesson for the young people to observe.
Words do indeed have consequences.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: VermiIion
Hamas is a proscribed terrorist group in the UK, meaning it is an offence to belong to or support it

I don’t know much about the political system in the UK but it seems it’s a slap on the wrist.
Similar to being censured here in the US?
A minor rebuking?
It’s good to see some accountability from any politicians.
It’s a valuable lesson for the young people to observe.
Words do indeed have consequences.

Yes indeed! asking for ceasefire just as millions of people around the world is now a sin and an abomination....

Terrible crime!

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 08:20 AM
link   

No crime was committed if you read your own links.
He wasn’t given the slap on the wrist because he called for a ceasefire, but you should already know that so you can stop the nonsense.
From the river to the sea.
Words have meaning and consequences.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: VermiIion

No crime was committed if you read your own links.
He wasn’t given the slap on the wrist because he called for a ceasefire, but you should already know that so you can stop the nonsense.
From the river to the sea.
Words have meaning and consequences.

I have been sarcastic ....

This is what he said

We won't rest until we have justice, until all people, Israelis and Palestinians, between the river and the same can live in peaceful liberty

Nothing wrong with this

The other guy just argued for a ceasefire and was sacked.

There is something really wrong with the dogma. Don't you think so?

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Political parties can ban whoever they see fit to, obey the party line or you're out.
One of the reasons I abhor our party political system and subscribe to no political party or ideology.

'From the river to the sea' is a well known and well used phrase used by pro-Palestinian organisations and supporters advocating an Islamic/Arab only Palestine free from all Jews and the obliteration of the Israeli state.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Poor England. Was it ever great?

edit on 1-11-2023 by 19Bones79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Political parties can ban whoever they see fit to, obey the party line or you're out.
One of the reasons I abhor our party political system and subscribe to no political party or ideology.

'From the river to the sea' is a well known and well used phrase used by pro-Palestinian organisations and supporters advocating an Islamic/Arab only Palestine free from all Jews and the obliteration of the Israeli state.

This isn't an excuse for suspending him
He was really clear when he said this

I see nothing wrong with it.

Even more so in relation to the other MP who is conservative and has asked for ceasefire and was...sacked!

These actions are absurd and indefensible!

It seems that the Labour Party in England is in a turmoil with many councilors resigning, MPs thinking of getting independent and others asking this moron who is the leader to resign. He said that it isn't the right time for ceasefire..

Yeah let's have WW3 and then see how that goes..
Eventually there will be ceasefire.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 11:50 AM
link   
www.politico.eu...

Keir Starmer defies Gaza cease-fire calls despite Labour backlash

LONDON — Keir Starmer doubled down on his position on the war between Israel and Hamas Tuesday despite open revolt on the opposition Labour Party’s front bench.

Dozens of Labour MPs, including some shadow Cabinet members, have been privately lobbying Starmer’s office to change its position and warning that the party is losing significant support from the British Muslim community.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Sad state of affairs , no room for principles or thought outside the lines drawn by the leader in British politics ... kinda like Authoritarian countries our government complains about.

Sunak = Starmer = Sunak.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 12:15 PM
link   

^^ That. There is no problem here. That's why there are called 'political parties' - all of one mindset and one goal. The guy got sacked because he wasn't following party protocol. He's no longer of the same mindset and goal of the party so he got himself kicked out. SO WHAT? That's the point of having a party.

This is a nothing burger.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Sad state of affairs , no room for principles or thought outside the lines drawn by the leader in British politics ... kinda like Authoritarian countries our government complains about.

Sunak = Starmer = Sunak.

But still the leaders don't represent the entire party. Many members have revolted because of the party line.

And PM to you with a range of good links.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

^^ That. There is no problem here. That's why there are called 'political parties' - all of one mindset and one goal. The guy got sacked because he wasn't following party protocol. He's no longer of the same mindset and goal of the party so he got himself kicked out. SO WHAT? That's the point of having a party.

This is a nothing burger.

One of the guys got sacked because he argued for ceasefire. What a sin and an abomination!

Reminds me of the Covid dogma where you were not allowed to question it. Now you can't question the tactics and decisions of the Israeli Government....

Do you see that something isn't quite right here?

By the way thanks for honouring my threads...again!!!

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Leviathan4
One of the guys got sacked because he argued for ceasefire. What a sin and an abomination!

He failed to follow the party line so he's out. It's just that simple. It would be like a Democrat in America being loud and vocal about being anti-Abortion. It wouldn't work and he'd get kicked out of the party. The party has a right to have whoever it wants within the party. Period.

After a huge demonstration in London last Saturday where half million people from different backgrounds

It was 100,000, not half a million ... and you do not know their backgrounds so you saying 'different backgrounds' is you making stuff up. NOTHING in the news about the backgrounds of the people marching. NOTHING.
edit on 11/1/2023 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 12:51 PM
link   

"But still the leaders don't represent the entire party. Many members have revolted because of the party line."

You don't understand the context or history.

Starmer has had to deal with anti semitism in his party from the far left. And I do mean the VERY far left.

He kicked it's former leader Jeremy Corbyn out of the party for that reason.

Anti. semitism is still raising it's ugly head and he is simply trying to stop it.

Jeremy Corbyn led his party to a crushing election defeat.

His views made him and his party unelectable.

Starmer is quite keen to stop that happening again.

You seem to be looking for stuff to feed your cognitive bias.

You need to know some context before you post.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

He failed to follow the party line so he's out. It's just that simple. It would be like a Democrat in America being loud and vocal about being anti-Abortion. It wouldn't work and he'd get kicked out of the party. The party has a right to have whoever it wants within the party. Period.

I like the way you have put it down. Period.

I don't think the party line is clear in the case of the labour party in England. The guy wasn't sacked but suspended and many have revolted because this 'party line' is made up along the way. Many councillors have resigned according to the news because of the unequivocal support the leader of the labour party gave to Israel. He isn't representing the party and they seem to be in a turmoil.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Starmer is quite keen to stop that happening again.

His priorities should be different at this point in history. And the war in Gaza should be the top priority and not what the previous leadership engaged in.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join