It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New desalination system turns seawater into drinking water for cheaper than tap water

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: jarsue97

originally posted by: dothedew
a reply to: trollz

it could produce about 4 to 6 liters of drinking water per hour and last several years before requiring replacement parts.

That's before the engineers get to it with their infinite wisdom.

Then, it will last several months before needing replacement parts......

And cost over $1000

"Oh, you need to replace that $10 part? You need to disassemble the entire device in order to get to it. Also, you need special proprietary tools, candles, paint, and a ritualistic sacrifice to the ancient God Hḗphaistos. You'll also need an alter for the sacrifice, and those are both proprietary and on back order."

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: YourExcellency

originally posted by: ITSALIVE
Imagine having seawater delivery so you can clean it at home with their device that needs part replacements every few years.

Why not have a massively upscaled version to be able to produce cheaper tap water?

I do see value for those living without access to tap water and do have access to ocean water.

a reply to: trollz you’d need pipelines in the situation you are discussing now. Or make every single person daily carry saltwater to their small unit that only produces a few liters of water and forces you to stay within a short distance of the sea.

Again, if they scaled up and produced a large amount of freshwater to be piped directly at the coast this would have more function.

Why first transport salt water to then be processed in many constant small batches? Far more efficient to process it and transport tap water like we currently do.

I’m sure nestle will sell you parts annually at a reasonable rate, right?

I can see an immense potential there.

Imagine coastal cities (at the very minimum) in all countries having sea shores being supplied with seawater for production of cheaper tap water.

And why not pipelines transporting seawater inwards (in the US,for cities like LA or Las Vegas this would be a game changer)...

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew

it could produce about 4 to 6 liters of drinking water per hour and last several years before requiring replacement parts.

That's before the engineers get to it with their infinite wisdom.

Then, it will last several months before needing replacement parts......

It would be nice if they could re-engineer it for the ten-stage parts to be easily dismantled and re-installed by anybody.

A tilted ten-stage solar-powered prototype desalination device is located in a “boat-like” reservoir. It efficiently turns seawater into drinkable water, potentially at costs lower than tap water production.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I have built solar desalination units for brackish water in the calif desert
it used one large computer fan run by a solar panel to pull air and vapor through the system.
The only problem I had was getting rid of the salt..

By EPA rules, the salt was toxic waste.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Great news for boat owners.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 10:21 AM
link   

To bad Ocean water contains radioactive isotopes courtesy of Japan .

posted on Oct, 8 2023 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED
it used one large computer fan run by a solar panel to pull air and vapor through the system.

And how DID you get rid of it?

posted on Oct, 8 2023 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: YourExcellency

originally posted by: ANNED

And how DID you get rid of it?

Drained it under an old mine dump, so no one saw where it went.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join