It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New desalination system turns seawater into drinking water for cheaper than tap water

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Glad you could find the dark cloud in that silver lining! Must be some kind of a gift.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

originally posted by: rounda
a reply to: trollz

Remember the guys who had the kickstarter for solar panels you could print from a desktop printer?

Nope.

Because the energy companies scooped them up and wiped the internet clean.

Water is even more valuable than electricity.

This will never make it to the masses.

Yep, Nestle' is going to buy these guys out and make it disappear.

No, not Nestle ...

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Believe it when I see it in mass production.

Till then it's a lot of ifs, ands, or maybes.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Not to mention coastal hydro power from waves. I thought that was a great idea to tap into all that energy which is always going to be there. A wind turbine means you need wind right there at that location. Which means there can be no wind. In the ocean you have a massive area surface so wind is blowing somewhere even if it is across the globe and those waves propagate out in every direction. Also, waves generated by gravity pull of Moon, Sun, planets. They should be going all in on that clean energy. The most basic concept you move a copper wire through a magnetic field and you got energy. If you can make a bunch of wire capillaries bouncing around in a magnetic field you can extract a ton of power. The only hurdle is that the gov needs to quit pissing around and get it done. It takes 10 years of decision making and another 10 years to build it.
edit on 3-10-2023 by sean because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew

it could produce about 4 to 6 liters of drinking water per hour and last several years before requiring replacement parts.

That's before the engineers get to it with their infinite wisdom.

Then, it will last several months before needing replacement parts......

And cost over $1000

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I don't know what you all are getting excited about. They had solar stills in some survival kits back in WWII. Nothing new and it has moving parts. Gravity powering the flow means you have to lift a bucket continuously or pump it. Self cleaning translates to when it does get dirty, you might as well throw it away because it will be almost impossible to clean. No maintenance needed means you throw it away when anything even slightly goes wrong because it is not fixable.

Now, any other sells pitch words you need translating?

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I suppose the same technology could be used to provide the inhabitants of the ISS with drinking water, but using their pee, as I don't imagine they will want to use seawater...

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ITSALIVE
Imagine having seawater delivery so you can clean it at home with their device that needs part replacements every few years.

Why not have a massively upscaled version to be able to produce cheaper tap water?

I do see value for those living without access to tap water and do have access to ocean water.

I can see an immense potential there.

Imagine coastal cities (at the very minimum) in all countries having sea shores being supplied with seawater for production of cheaper tap water.

And why not pipelines transporting seawater inwards (in the US,for cities like LA or Las Vegas this would be a game changer)...

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

This is a game changer if true!.

I was just working on a paper about alternative water resources during droughts. I wonder if it can also be used on brackish water too?

I'll have to read more into it.

Good find!

We might see in the near future huge pipelines transporting seawater all over the US (and in other countries too of course). This will accelerate the transport of water that is already occurring natural in the ecosystems of our planet. Ecological cycles will be greatly accelerated and I wonder what effect this will have.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: YourExcellency

They drink water from a dehumidifier. It comes from their sweat.

This needs gravity to work. They don't have very much gravity on the ISS.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge2
a reply to: YourExcellency

They drink water from a dehumidifier. It comes from their sweat.

This needs gravity to work. They don't have very much gravity on the ISS.

Oh, I see. You are right.

But I did think drinking water in the ISS was produced from the crew's pee.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: YourExcellency

I was just working on a paper about alternative water resources during droughts. I wonder if it can also be used on brackish water too?

Good find!

We might see in the near future huge pipelines transporting seawater all over the US (and in other countries too of course). This will accelerate the transport of water that is already occurring natural in the ecosystems of our planet. Ecological cycles will be greatly accelerated and I wonder what effect this will have.

It is called rain. It happens naturally. Seawater evaporates the water out by solar heating. The water goes up into the air. It blows around and cools off. Clouds form and under the right conditions rain falls out of the clouds. Rain is absorbed by the ground and gathers on the ground. This leaches water soluble chemicals out of the ground and carries it to the oceans eventually. This mostly fresh water is used for a vast number of other things along the way. Chemical solvent, power generation by gravity, irrigation of crops, even a very small precentage is drank by humans. Then it makes its way to the oceans to start over.

Why would you need saltwater, which is more toxic than oil in large quantity spills, to be transported over longe distances on land when nature does the same thing without the toxic part for free?

You seem to forget, this method also needs the seawater returned to the ocean with an increase in the salt content to clean the desalination unit. That means return pipes along with the supply pipes. Or do you want to kill the land of all plants. Salt does that you know.

This will only work on the coastal areas of it works at all.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Well, it would be nice to get both salt for cooking and drinking water too. Be great if there was a disaster, salt to preserve fish and other meats.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Yes, it is very cool but they can’t make money unless it needs a filter every month lol.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I remember watching a doc a few years ago about an invention from a well known inventor (Dyson maybe?) that could turn practically any water into potable water. One of the demos was it sucking water out of a muddy puddle and out came crystal clear drinkable water.

Does that ring any bells? If so, any idea whatever happened to that? I remember the intended use was to provide water to poor areas around the world who struggle with having clean water

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TXRabbit
I remember watching a doc a few years ago about an invention from a well known inventor (Dyson maybe?) that could turn practically any water into potable water. One of the demos was it sucking water out of a muddy puddle and out came crystal clear drinkable water.

Does that ring any bells? If so, any idea whatever happened to that? I remember the intended use was to provide water to poor areas around the world who struggle with having clean water

Freeman Dyson?

lol no I don't think so, he is into completely different things. The Dyson Sphere is his brainchild. Nothing could be farther from getting water out of a pool of mud...

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge2

originally posted by: YourExcellency

Good find!

It is called rain. It happens naturally. Seawater evaporates the water out by solar heating. The water goes up into the air. It blows around and cools off. Clouds form and under the right conditions rain falls out of the clouds. Rain is absorbed by the ground and gathers on the ground. This leaches water soluble chemicals out of the ground and carries it to the oceans eventually. This mostly fresh water is used for a vast number of other things along the way. Chemical solvent, power generation by gravity, irrigation of crops, even a very small precentage is drank by humans. Then it makes its way to the oceans to start over.

Why would you need saltwater, which is more toxic than oil in large quantity spills, to be transported over longe distances on land when nature does the same thing without the toxic part for free?

You seem to forget, this method also needs the seawater returned to the ocean with an increase in the salt content to clean the desalination unit. That means return pipes along with the supply pipes. Or do you want to kill the land of all plants. Salt does that you know.

This will only work on the coastal areas of it works at all.

Oh, it's called rain. Thanks for educating me.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

No, not Nestle ...

Yes did wonder if this would upset the WEF's new 'narrative'.

Attempts to vaccinate everyone on the planet failed and ‘climate change’ is “too abstract” for people to understand, but the imminent water crisis is something that everyone will get on board with, according to World Economic Forum contributor Mariana Mazzucato.

WEF Speaker: ‘Covid & Climate Change Failed, But Water Crisis Will Work To Establish World Government’

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogany
a reply to: watchitburn

Here you go:

Link to the paper

It can desalinate up to 20% salinity. Oceans are at about 3.5%.

This is just for desalination, but you can always attach a filter to it. Four really cool scientific principles being used to make this work.

- Uses gravity for all motion inside, no mechanical parts
- Desalinates using a thermohaline system, using both salinity and the temperature used from desalination to keep going. it even reuses the energy from water condensation.
- It cleans itself and keeps from accumulating salts through membrane filters
- It recapture all of its heat, particularly if stacked, doesn't lose energy

From the video they use it looks to be all PVC and plexiglass, this can be home made if you know what you're doing.

This is pure genius in its simplicity.

posted on Oct, 4 2023 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666

originally posted by: BernnieJGato

New desalination system turns seawater into drinking water for cheaper than tap water

it won't be for long if it ever goes into the world. the water mongers will buy it up, start draining the oceans and seas, charge the same or raise prices.

mark my words.

They can drain all they want. The water cycle will ensure that it all goes back. No water is lost.
You'll drink it, you'll pee it out, it will evaporate and rain down again.

Even if you covered up the oceans, it will rain down somewhere and find it's way into rivers or ponds or floods.
(snipped)

If this method makes drinking water really cheaper than tap water, there are so many places in the world that might benefit from it (I am thinking about places that get little rain). Los Angeles and places in Nevada, New Mexico etc. come to mind. Pipelines transporting water straight from the sea might supply those places with what they need to make cheap tap water.

But if this is done on a large scale in many countries over the world, obviously it might accelerate the natural ecological cycles in those areas as it would replace the absent rainfall. We might more climate change expect to occur (IMHO).

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join