It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New desalination system turns seawater into drinking water for cheaper than tap water

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Engineers at MIT and in China are aiming to turn seawater into drinking water with a completely passive device that is inspired by the ocean, and powered by the sun.

The researchers estimate that if the system is scaled up to the size of a small suitcase, it could produce about 4 to 6 liters of drinking water per hour and last several years before requiring replacement parts. At this scale and performance, the system could produce drinking water at a rate and price that is cheaper than tap water.

the system is entirely passive, requiring no electricity to run

The team envisions a scaled-up device could passively produce enough drinking water to meet the daily requirements of a small family. The system could also supply off-grid, coastal communities where seawater is easily accessible.

Source

We are living in exciting times. Humanity has just taken a massive leap forward in the area of drinking water availability. Previous desalination methods (removing salt from water such as seawater to make it drinkable) had limitations that made it impractical for large-scale use. A new system has been created which does away with these limitations entirely. Developed by engineers from MIT and China, this new desalination drinking-water solution is entirely passive; it requires no electricity and runs on its own. A system the size of a suitcase can produce 4-6 liters (approximately 1-1.5 gallons) of drinking water per hour, and it can last for several years before needing parts to be replaced. It would ultimately be cheaper than tap water!

This is going to change the world.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

it could produce about 4 to 6 liters of drinking water per hour and last several years before requiring replacement parts.

That's before the engineers get to it with their infinite wisdom.

Then, it will last several months before needing replacement parts......

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 09:28 AM
link   

This is a game changer if true!.

I was just working on a paper about alternative water resources during droughts. I wonder if it can also be used on brackish water too?

I'll have to read more into it.

Good find!

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 09:28 AM
link   
This is amazing.

But in reality, if the parts are currently lasting for several years, someone will "fix" that.
Can't make money off something lasting that long.

Sorry, maybe too cynical today.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Considering clean water sources are becoming rather scarce, few and far between.

Technology such as this is indeed a great idea and does indeed have the potential to change the world.

One less resource to fight and squabble over for a start should the technology be taken to its logical conclusion.
edit on 3-10-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Admittedly, cost analysis was desalinations biggest failure, and this certainly sounds miraculous.

At the risk of sounding ignorant, I wonder what the math is on consumption of desalinated water versus the use or disposal of the salt? I mean how many liters * how many people* industrial applications etc… at what point, if any do we eventually effect the required ratio of salinity and hence life and other attributes as yet unseen?

I seriously do not know, but the thoughts that come to me immediately, are those that ask more questions. I recognize the huge volume of ocean water, but if ever man could find another way to mess with the environment to his detriment…this might just lead to one?

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 09:46 AM
link   

New desalination system turns seawater into drinking water for cheaper than tap water

it won't be for long if it ever goes into the world. the water mongers will buy it up, start draining the oceans and seas, charge the same or raise prices.

mark my words.
edit on 3-10-2023 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Not going to produce much useable water outside of drinking water
Not like it can produce any substantial amount, not farming for livestock or plants, it is very limited
Unfortunately

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Remember the guys who had the kickstarter for solar panels you could print from a desktop printer?

Nope.

Because the energy companies scooped them up and wiped the internet clean.

Water is even more valuable than electricity.

This will never make it to the masses.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: rounda

Remember the guys who had the kickstarter for solar panels you could print from a desktop printer?

Came across this which might be relevant.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Here you go:

Link to the paper

It can desalinate up to 20% salinity. Oceans are at about 3.5%.

This is just for desalination, but you can always attach a filter to it. Four really cool scientific principles being used to make this work.

- Uses gravity for all motion inside, no mechanical parts
- Desalinates using a thermohaline system, using both salinity and the temperature used from desalination to keep going. it even reuses the energy from water condensation.
- It cleans itself and keeps from accumulating salts through membrane filters
- It recapture all of its heat, particularly if stacked, doesn't lose energy

From the video they use it looks to be all PVC and plexiglass, this can be home made if you know what you're doing.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: rounda

Nope.

Because the energy companies scooped them up and wiped the internet clean.

Water is even more valuable than electricity.

This will never make it to the masses.

Yep, Nestle' is going to buy these guys out and make it disappear.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I've never understood why more research and funding was not put into developing desalination processes etc.
It seems so bloody obvious to me.

Will this be suppressed or exploited to maximise profits for the elites etc?
I'd like to think not....but the cynic and realist in me suspects that somehow it will.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Especially when you consider the fact we live on a planet where the ocean covers 70% of the earth's surface.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: BernnieJGato

it won't be for long if it ever goes into the world. the water mongers will buy it up, start draining the oceans and seas, charge the same or raise prices.

mark my words.

They can drain all they want. The water cycle will ensure that it all goes back. No water is lost.
You'll drink it, you'll pee it out, it will evaporate and rain down again.

Even if you covered up the oceans, it will rain down somewhere and find it's way into rivers or ponds or floods.

That said, water should never be privatised neither should air.

Nature can never be beaten. Something will always give and destroy those who abuse it.
Then a lot will die and Nature can regenerate.
Some animals will survive and procreate because of evolution.
Some others won't if they can't live in the new environment.
May not be humans, but humans will pay one day, evolution and Nature cannot be stopped unless you blow up Earth, but there will be plenty more planets carrying life.

Nature works, because it has no opinion. It merely is a simple formula.
The dumb human apes think they have it all under control.
In fact, they are mere amoebas who came and will go one day.

To be followed by some other creatures.

Ce la vie.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Its so obvious to me mate.
In addition there are huge untapped aquifers throughout the world.

There's really no excuse why these things aren't utilised for people's benefit rather than profit.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 12:32 PM
link   
"New desalination system turns seawater into drinking water for cheaper than tap water"

Angry Nestlè sounds incoming.

"This is going to change the world."

No, it will not. Ask people like Nikola Tesla. Stinky rich moneybags will prevent the not stinky rich eartlings from profiting of something, whatever it is. Like always.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Imagine having seawater delivery so you can clean it at home with their device that needs part replacements every few years.

Why not have a massively upscaled version to be able to produce cheaper tap water?

I do see value for those living without access to tap water and do have access to ocean water.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I’m so sorry to hear that everyone involved committed sewercide next week, and all of their prototypes and documents will be getting misplaced between now and then.

posted on Oct, 3 2023 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Clive Cussler did a novel in which a (beautiful young) female scientist developed cheap desalinization and, yes, a Big Water Company (itself with a female CEO) went after her.

www.goodreads.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join