It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abandoned Secret Society Compound in the Appalachian Mountains - Happy Halloween!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I live in the Appalachian Mountains, specifically the Smoky Mountains. I love going to the mountains and learning about the history of the region, then sharing that with you all on here. I usually do the car shows in the area and popular hiking trails, but this story is one of my favorites.

I was chatting with a Ranger while I was visiting Daisy Town and he mentioned something that caught my attention. He said, "The Appalachian Club was basically a secret society of that time." I thought about the comment and realized he's most likely right. Everything about the private club resembles a Secret Society. Kinda like a club for the really rich and powerful with a secret agenda from the most elite and powerful members.

This video tells a story of this town, the private membership club and how it collapsed.

I hope you have about 10 minutes to spare to watch my video. I made it in a Halloween theme for you all here. I'm no Scorcese by any means, more like the Ed Wood of youtube,
so it's kinda corny, but it's in good nature.

I have hidden quite a few Halloween Easter Eggs in the video and some of them are hard to find. I did leave you all an audio que. When you hear "kill-kill-kill, ma-ma-ma" you'll know there is about to be one shown sometime in the next 15 seconds, with a climax at the end. The first one is just after the turkey, on the right of the bridge in the beginning. Comment and tell me which ones you found.

I hope y'all enjoy it and thanks for sharing your time to watch it. I don't make any money from youtube or anything, it's just a hobby for me.

edit on 30-9-2023 by esteay812 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 01:26 PM
link   
That was very enjoyable!!
My mom's family are from the Smoky Mountains - Jonas Ogle was her grandfather, I believe his family had been one of those that lost their property in Cades Cove to the National Park - lots of Ogles around up around those mountains...

I grew up visiting my Granny on Gnatty Branch Road, Sevierville (right outside Gatlinburg) every year for Thanksgiving and am surprised I never heard of Elkmont & Daisy Town - fascinating history!

Thanks for a great video!

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: lostgirl

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I have heard of Jonas Ogle. I believe he is buried at one of the churches in Cades Cove. Ogles are definitely one of the marquee names in the history of Gatlinburg and this area in general.
edit on 30-9-2023 by esteay812 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: esteay812

Be there in a couple days I'm moving in. No I'm serious!

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Saloon

If you're gonna try to stay there, be cautious. Besides Michael Meyers, Jason Voorhees, and they other creeps, there a bunch of security xamers, rangers and volunteers you would never know are there.

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I was shocked at the condition of everything as it seemed.

Doubtful they'd let any americans seeking refuge try to repop
the place. What a waste but maybe a helluva bug out destination?

Thanks for sharing

edit on 30-9-2023 by Saloon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Yeah, it's managed by the government now. They were gonna tear them all down back in the 90's, then someone magically got it out on a historical sites list.

There are a few places like this up there. Most of them are on horrible condition or completely destroyed by time.i think you could probably make a good camp it a few of them though. You'd at least have a fireplace, back porch and stairs down to the rive, 😂

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Absolutely know residential and commercial construction but sounds
like pretty tuff access to supplies. And no way they'd let anybody
homestead the place. But again a cool spot to know about the way
things are going now days.

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 03:28 PM
link   

It's a great location, even just to to camping. You can get to Townsend (closest town) in about 20mins. I bet it was tough getting around up there back in the early 1900s.

If I had to bug out, I'd probably head to this area. May get lucky and find a good spot. . . or unlucky and run up on a moonshine still, 😂.

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 03:57 PM
link   

If I had to bug out, I'd probably head to this area. May get lucky and find a good spot. . . or unlucky and run up on a moonshine still, 😂.

Oh hell something for my dumbass to consider for sure. Don't want
to psss them boys off by any means.

edit on 30-9-2023 by Saloon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Holy ##%&$ creeps I was just looking two seconds away at the end but had my headphones on, almost got a heart attack! Just checked the watch 138 BPM from 82BPM in a split second.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the nature, real beautiful also the river bed. What a lovely place.

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain

😂, glad it didn't put you down for good. The area is is such a great place to live or visit, or both. I got there at just before 8am on a Friday at the end of September and there was not one at all there til about 10.30am.

Just saying that this side of the hill(Townsend) is a lot easier to enjoy than the Gatlinburg side, but close enough together that you can easily go to both towns while you're here. Plus the views just after sunrise are as good our better than sunset too.

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 04:33 PM
link   
There is some memory in the back of my head, either from the short story forum or a book that involved exactly such a place with a very similar history. It has many similarities.

It annoys me internally that I can not fish it out if memory currently. One of these things the more you think about the more they get out of reach.

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain

I know the feeling. I'll fight to remember and it never happens. Then a day or a week later I remember it out of the blue. So strange how that works, 😂

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Enjoyed the video, I love old historic sites like that. Well done.

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 07:12 PM
link   
The Great Smoky Mountains is my favorite vacation spot. I thought I had been most places associated.I have even visited my Cherokee relatives and walked some of the Appalachian Trail. I have never even heard of this place.
Wonderful video and kudos to you .

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: texas thinker

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

It's an awesome place and all the spots in the video are easy to get to. Even the old the old cabins with just chimneys remaining and the Troll Bridge are all within a few hundred feet from the parking area. Even though its easy access, you're still very secluded.

It's called Elkmont on the maps, if you want to visit next trip. The houses that are still there is known as Daisy Town and the ruins are called Millionaire's Row.
edit on 30-9-2023 by esteay812 because: Tyops

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 08:05 PM
link   

It's called Elkmont on the maps, if you want to visit next trip

I am going into retirement soon so , yes. Most likely in Spring .

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

You'll really like it. I'd suggest eating lunch or dinner at a place called "The Snoring Bear," you'll thank me for the recommendation afterwards, 😂.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join