It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So many shops restaurants businesses banks are closing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 05:05 AM
link   
What the world is going on there's not going to be any places pretty soon to shop at. I don't have the link but Sun newspaper just reported a whole bunch more closings so I guess you can check the internet on that part. with who knows how many illegal immigrants not even illegal immigrants illegals have come into the country what turmoil and chaos is going to happen it's going to be a real sad day I really feel so. I've been saying those in the know have been trying to get out of America and well of course you know where I live and right now there's it's almost hitting 4 million foreigners in this country so something big is happening and probably not only in America but around the world and here in this country many many mom and pop stores have closed also it's just the sign of the times I guess.
edit on 0900000042222023-09-24T05:22:42-05:00224209am5 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

It might be the soaring high cost of rental units, some are going up 10 to 20 percent these days. Is it once again greed within capitalism?

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

It might be the soaring high cost of rental units, some are going up 10 to 20 percent these days. Is it once again greed within capitalism?

I don't know but banks are closing famous ice cream parlors or closing famous restaurant chains are closing like I know labor is pretty expensive and food costs these days that you can't even keep track of it one week after another.

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 05:29 AM
link   

I was listening to an economist speak on the news and he was saying something to the effect that if these small businesses are hanging on by a wing and a prayer, then it's not good business sense for them to keep going on that way.

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 05:52 AM
link   
we are at the stage the zombie companies are folding many of who used covid loans to survive this far..

prepare for more to collapse as the price for western declinist politics and they can not tax there way out of this mess or adopt another bout of austerity to fix it..

we should have been looking for new sources of wealth post 2007/8 crash instead they baked in decline and decimation that'll just bring about a revolt the establishment can't control..

in my area its all gone local even the flag waving and the local identity now means more than the national one..

we saw in in the supposed massive support on the eu yesterday where a few thousand came out to dance for the eu the idea that 60% support them is as true as the claims of high level support as the trans/green/migrant have ie not at all true.

the pushback though is here as even the liberals have dropped rejoin next they'll join the left/right in stating men can't have willies..

the only way the elite will survive is if they pivot now to common sense policies that reverse the declinist destruction of all the fringe policies they've tried to implement since 2007 to mask western bankruptcy..

we see that each time they sail close to the wind blackrock was behind the downfall of truss as her policies exposing blackrock and the bank of englands pension black holes.. it had nothing to do with poor policies but rather exposing the scale of issues left unfixed from 2007/8..

at some point we'll see the true scale of the issues and scale of corruption.. only then can we fix and rebuild.
edit on 24-9-2023 by nickyw because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: nickyw

I think it's going to get so bad where they're just not going to be reporting it at all so we're just going to have to find some of the resource or the reporting the decline of a small businesses.

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I wonder if the solution is to start your business in your own home and get tax credits from the government, such as how some catering companies operate. I recall many decades ago a woman would come into our offices with a basketful of home baked goods to sell and not only was she allowed access into our offices, but she sold quite a few. Although now that I think about it, maybe she knew somebody and that's how she got her foot in the door.

Governments needs to breathe some life back into small entrepreneur endeavors and using one's existing living space could be the key to business success vs. failure. Just a thought.

ETA

An observation: I follow on FB the communities I live, work and shop in and it's amazing to me how many people actually do offer goods and services from their homes. It's a whole other underground community network as well as some bartering going on.
edit on q00000005930America/Chicago5858America/Chicago9 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 06:02 AM
link   

The extremely competitive free market was obviously going to end up like this.
We have been warned numerous times yet we ignored this. Honestly maybe we deserve this for not listening or just ignoring the warning signs.
It is what it is and the younger generation will be forced to do something extremely drastic.

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

Yup... all over the world right now commercial real estate is becoming less and less desirable. This effect trickles down to smaller commercial business shops, and land lords think they can just jack up prices even tho market price should be dropping because there isn't much demand.

Realistically starting up a mom and pop shop for food or specialty good or service should be able to thrive right now, as they can cut out a lot of middle man costs that large corporations and company's need to rely on. But the rent it too damn high!
edit on 24-9-2023 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stopstealingmycountry

It is what it is and the younger generation will be forced to do something extremely drastic.

What's that? Waking up before noon?

Oh, the horror.🙄

..yawn😴

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Yup... all over the world right now commercial real estate is becoming less and less desirable. This effect trickles down to smaller commercial business shops, and land lords think they can just jack up prices even tho market price should be dropping because there isn't much demand.

Realistically starting up a mom and pop shop for food or specialty good or service should be able to thrive right now, as they can cut out a lot of middle man costs that large corporations and company's need to rely on. But the rent it too damn high!

One would think if the landlord's rental units remain unoccupied for any length of time they would lower the rents, but I guess I would make a bad capitalist with that sort of reasoning.
edit on q00000009930America/Chicago3131America/Chicago9 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 06:16 AM
link   
MiM, we're probably close in age. While you don't live stateside anymore, you probably remember shops closing and new ones opening all the time. I remember and it's happening no more ore less now where I live. We're in an extremely bad economy (Bidenomics) and we're still recovering from a pandemic shutdown. At least banks aren't loaning willy-nilly like they used to. It's time for people to cut back a little and reduce their debt.

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 06:23 AM
link   

But, but, they made an investment, the line should always go up!

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Yes, extremely competitive but that's what it's always been about. It takes (and always has taken) a lot of work to run a small business. Could it be that people just don't want to work that hard anymore? Younger generations believe life should be easy and given trophies for not winning.

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
a reply to: nickyw

I think it's going to get so bad where they're just not going to be reporting it at all so we're just going to have to find some of the resource or the reporting the decline of a small businesses.

we=know the true depth of trouble we're in..

the evolution of my thinking has gone post 2007/8 counter reformation/Spanish inquisition through to puritans through to late stage Victorians and now we find ourselves faced with the anarchy.. as in total breakdown of the established order in favour of local orders created by local communities.

I'm already seeing that here with the pivot to local identity/flags/businesses and issues and I've just had a 7 night holiday/vacation on the isle of wigit where local biz and cash is king.. none of the issues affecting the mainland where evident but nor where the corporates who create the issues.. and it was like being in the 1980s again, it was brilliant and refreshing. no pretence or need for faux virtues..

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

Yes, extremely competitive but that's what it's always been about. It takes (and always has taken) a lot of work to run a small business. Could it be that people just don't want to work that hard anymore? Younger generations believe life should be easy and given trophies for not winning.

I'm not sure if it's because younger people are not willing to go out and do the work. It's possible that's true but it is also very possible and probable the younger ones have been forced into a no win situation unless they have legacy behind them.
Capitalism at its best.
Financial ruin at it's worst.
A balance hasn't been figured out yet IMHO. Hopefully they the young ones can figure this out.
edit on 24-9-2023 by Stopstealingmycountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 06:43 AM
link   

it goes that way when the corporates are cleared out, the easy one to demonstrate was in the demise of ToyRUs I saw a myriad of small toy shops rise to fill the space left by that corporate giant..

the corporate push for a single identity and universal consumer is imploding and its opening the doors for local identities to re-emerge its worse that the 70/80s shift from tankies to neolibs as its more in tune with the fall out from the first great depression in the late 1800s.

north American and the west in general has more in common with later stage Victorian dark England and not just opiate abuse, poverty, war and violence.. the only way the west can survive is by going small, local and decentralising.. the true backbone of all western countries are its middle class small local businesses not its billionaires and corporations.

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: nickyw

it goes that way when the corporates are cleared out, the easy one to demonstrate was in the demise of ToyRUs I saw a myriad of small toy shops rise to fill the space left by that corporate giant..

the corporate push for a single identity and universal consumer is imploding and its opening the doors for local identities to re-emerge its worse that the 70/80s shift from tankies to neolibs as its more in tune with the fall out from the first great depression in the late 1800s.

north American and the west in general has more in common with later stage Victorian dark England and not just opiate abuse, poverty, war and violence.. the only way the west can survive is by going small, local and decentralising.. the true backbone of all western countries are its middle class small local businesses not its billionaires and corporations.

Then the question arises, for me anyway, is it wise to start up a business dependent upon only one type of product or service especially in a brick and mortar scenario. Wouldn't it be wiser to diversity with products and services?

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 07:10 AM
link   
The news tells me inflation is under control and we're in a booming economy, thanks to Bidenomics.

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

A very good contribution to the topic.
Maybe try and give something that actually helps?
Honestly I didn't help by giving a solution because I don't want to get banned, but what you just did IS part of the problem.
BDS

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join