It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge breakthrough in search for Alien Life as NASA detects gas on exoplanet associated with life

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdifferentOpinion
a reply to: Phantom423

I pushed the button I wanted to push but thanks for the advice!

You have just gone off topic and you're mistaken if you think you have pushed any buttons.

If you have anything to say about this scientific discovery you could do so but it doesn't seem you're very interested in the conversations.

Exoplanets which is the topic of this conversation is a fascinating area and there is plenty of effort and funding in achieving the goal, in a few words to find signs of life outside our solar system. It maybe we have just come across one such planet.

The other topics you're interested in and you believe with passion reminds why society has gone away from the path of science to some bizarre ideology over the past decade or so.

Here is some important information from one of my links in the first page.

www.universetoday.com... ater-ocean/#:~:text=Hycean%20planets%20are%20thought%20to,being%20stripped%20of%20its%20atmosphere.

The team also found a couple of intriguing spectral lines indicating the presence of a chemical known as dimethyl sulfide (DMS). There are traces of DMS in Earth’s atmosphere, where the primary source is microbial marine life such as phytoplankton. This could be the first biosignature of life on another world, but the data is relatively weak. It’s too soon to conclude that K2-18 b harbors life in its hycean sea

edit on 12-9-2023 by AlienBorg because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I saw this last night on the U toob. I follow John Michael Godier and he put out a text type thing and putting a video out today I believe. If y’all don’t follow him, check him out. It’s really informative space type stuff with a no BS science take on recent discoveries. You’ll dig it. Swear..

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 05:07 PM
link   
So... do we have every radio telescope pointed at this thing, looking for modulated signals?

Our own early radio signals will just be getting there (hopefully too faint to notice from the background radiation).

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienBorg

As far as I can tell, NASA really doesn't want the TRUTH to be out of the bag. For some reason, they want to have a slow leak of information: possible planets where life could exist (WE found one!! Give us more money!!); possible water discovered on other planets out side of our solar system (WE found one!! Give us more money!!!); possible planets that are scoured by radiation where we said life could exist so life may not exist (WE found one!! Give us more money!!!!); gases emit by life on a planet that exists in a habitable zone that does not get scoured by radiation and is signs of redox reaction typical of a form of respiration, at least on our planet (WE FOUND ONE!!! GIVE US EVEN MORE MONEY!!!!).

That seems to be NASA's MO. Stop building rockets, kill the space shuttle, no more deep space probes, let out a few high tech satellites that could observe the universe... but only after years of delay, only to say "WE have proof of possible life!!". All the while ignore, belittle, and ridicule the exact same application of science to a scientist who looked at Mars data from the Viking mission and came to the same conclusion: this residual gas is signs of extracellular, extraterrestrial, life.

Since the 1970s, I am pretty sure NASA has known about ET life (at least at the microbe level). Possibly from the moon landings they also know about EBEs. So the idea, concept, and protections of data by slowly leaking all the bread crumbs to the day when THEY will announce: "Hey world! We found life outside of our planet! It is multicellular and gives off this gas! See! All that money was worth it! Now give us more!!"

Meanwhile, we don't even use rockets to leave the surface of earth and leave it to high tech rich boys to waste their money and effort essentially "showing off" using 1950s technology!

Hey everybody! Life is everywhere in the universe! Now give ME money!! (/sarcasm with the third statement).

I know it, NASA knows it. And the guys who fly the big black triangles have actually gone to the surface of other planets and found primordial goo. The only fact is that none of this experience in space travel is being acknowledged by any authority.

Instead of searching for signs of life, maybe some grown up honesty is needed because we are not going to run around murdering, raping, and running amok in the streets like some mindless robot from the 1950s like the Brookings Report states. We have 50 years of Star Trek, and 40 years of Star Wars, I doubt any human alive (minus the religious zealots running around with automatic weapons) thinks that microbial life beyond earth is "scary".

The 1950s and 1960s are over. Get over your dumb idea about thinking for other people and let everybody find their own existential belief about existence in the panspermia universe!!

Just wait for the follow up studies... in 20 years...

(for the info! Regardless of what "tone" you hear when reading this post, (huh??), this is cool scientific news if you have never heard it before it is just I am tired of secrets)

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 09:12 PM
link   
12 year old me wanted this mystery gas to be fart gas.... If you fart you are alive!

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 09:43 PM
link   
It is said to have liquid water so the density would be much like Earth. It is three times the diameter which would make it nine times the gravity. Any life growing there would be very, very flat. On second thought, any life would have to be in the water as rain drops would most likely destroy any cellular development by impact.

I would not expect a landing there if we could get there.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge2

The force of gravity is porportional the mass of the planet divided by the distance from center squared. So, the 9 times the mass is canceled out by the 3 time the distance from the center squared.

The gravity on the surface is the same.

edit on 13-9-2023 by graysquirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 04:03 AM
link   

If life does indeed exist on this planet and its life like ours.... can you imagine the population size? 8 times larger than Earth?

If they re-populate at our rates, there could be around 70 - 100 billion Aliens waiting... or ready to travel here for lunch!

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: WorldxGonexMad

The place 120 light-years away, which equates to about 705 trillion miles distant.

I dont think we are going to have to build a wall just yet, put it that way.

Plus just because the planet is 8 times the size of Earth, doesn't mean that any sort of sentient populace would be 8 times as large as our own.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 06:16 AM
link   

I have ignored commenting upon this thread as no good toward me will come of it. But given that my member name was not exactly a random choice. I must add a few words that I doubt anyone will appreciate and most will write them off as delusional. However, I have nothing to lose.

The level of "high" scientific investigations and discoveries is amazing today. Such work is far removed from the sphere of the general public's knowledge if not interests. So, let me tweak that sphere just a bit.

The data of the twin Viking missions of the late 1970s has been long buried in NASA's achieves...and for good reason. The so-called "search for life" aspect of the mission with Martian surface dirt were explained away to some degree. But there was another aspect of the mission that should have blown the cover for a "dead" Mars. The two Viking Orbiters revealed enough data and images to virtually prove that Phobos was an artificially placed, former asteroid and that the physical aspects of its "natural" body were not from nature but by intelligent applications. These are the "grooves" depicted in countless images from the two Orbiters. Of course, the stark ones, indicative of surface debris having been mysteriously moved around the body, will likely not be found on any presentation of the Viking mission intended for public eyes.

So while the grooves are indicative that the wrestling of the body into its tight, near-perfect circular orbit, near-impossible orbit is a major fact that it was artificially placed, there is an old fact that has new meaning. Another surprising fact about Phobos is that the mission also detected an "out-gassing" from the small body which was surprising. I had assume that the feature was only observed by the instrumentation and nothing substantial was obtained from that simple fact.

Given the topic here of how amazingly we can detect gases indicative of some forms of possible life on distant bodies, I must return back to muse about whether we also had that capability about the out-gassing on Phobos back in the 1970s--or if any of the rather quiet missions since to Mars have done a closer look at Phobos. --After all, there also is the "monument" on Phobos that has never been explained or explored again as far as real science has been concerned. HA!-ha
edit on 13-9-2023 by Observer19 because: clarification

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: WorldxGonexMad

If life does indeed exist on this planet and its life like ours.... can you imagine the population size? 8 times larger than Earth?

If they re-populate at our rates, there could be around 70 - 100 billion Aliens waiting... or ready to travel here for lunch!

You may want to take a look at the reply just above yours.

The gravitational field strength g = GM/R^2
G = Gravitational constant
M=Mass of Planet
R=Radius of Planet

The Planet we're discussing has a mass approximately 9 times the mass of Earth and Radius 3 times the radius of Earth. Therefore...

g' = G (9M)/(3R)^2 = GM/R^2 = g

with g' to be the gravitational field strength at the surface of the planet. It turns out to be the same as the gravitational field strength at the surface of our planet.

So what you're expecting isn't true. You won't see creatures that are 8-9 times the size of what you would have expected here on Earth.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdifferentOpinion
Space travel isn’t real, alien life doesn’t exist, exoplanets are fake and this ridiculous nonsensical pseudo-science is all part of an ideologically driven activist agenda to get grants and funding to keep pretend self-identified so called scientists employed and to indoctrinate children into believing our species won’t forever die on this rock.

The truth will come out. Save the children from these lies and ban all media that even hints outer space is a thing.

Well, you picked a time in our technology where saying something like that can follow you around for your whole life.
Great timing,

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

The place 120 light-years away, which equates to about 705 trillion miles distant.

Plus just because the planet is 8 times the size of Earth, doesn't mean that any sort of sentient populace would be 8 times as large as our own.

The gravitational field strange is almost the same as here at the surface of our planet. It's a simple equation that I described a few replies back so it's unrealistic to expect huge creatures because the mass of the planet is 9 times the mass of Earth (as the other member said). You always have to consider the radius of the planet to calculate the value of g

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Yes, you are correct.

When calculating the value of gravity on a planet, or any other celestial body for that matter.

We need to consider the radius of the body, because the strength of gravity depends on the mass of the celestial body and the distance from its center.

As to what any sort of sentient creatures would look like if life does happen to exist there.

I suppose we would need to understand the evolutionary processes that took place in far greater detail(or any sort of detail) to even begin to speculate.
edit on 13-9-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

This reminded me of a book I read as a lad.

It's about a race of tiny creatures living on, of all things, a Neutron Star:

www.penguinrandomhouse.com...

Some fascinating hard Sci-Fi there.

"Bob Forward writes in the tradition of Hal Clement’s Mission of Gravity and carries it a giant step (how else?) forward.”—Isaac Asimov

“Dragon’s Egg is superb. I couldn’t have written it; it required too much real physics.”—Larry Niven

“This is one for the real science-fiction fan.”—Frank Herbert

“Robert L. Forward tells a good story and asks a profound question. If we run into a race of creatures who live a hundred years while we live an hour, what can they say to us or we to them?”—Freeman J. Dyson

“Forward has impeccable scientific credentials, and . . . big, original, speculative ideas.”—The Washington Post"
edit on 13-9-2023 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

I've not read that one carpy2.

But considering some of the properties that are speculated to exist where the likes of neutron stars are concerned i imagine its a rather interesting read.
edit on 13-9-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

It certainly is.

If Larry Niven says he couldn't have written it, you know it's got some real hard physics, and it has!

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlienBorg

The gravitational field strange is almost the same as here at the surface of our planet. It's a simple equation that I described a few replies back so it's unrealistic to expect huge creatures because the mass of the planet is 9 times the mass of Earth (as the other member said). You always have to consider the radius of the planet to calculate the value of g

To be fair, I didnt say anything about the size of the creatures that would be on the planet... if any. I was talking about 'HOW' many Species/Humanoids/Aliens whatever there would be on the planet as it is so much larger than ours, therefore... much room to populate and it could also be many years older!

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TexasTruth
I saw this last night on the U toob. I follow John Michael Godier and he put out a text type thing and putting a video out today I believe. If y’all don’t follow him, check him out. It’s really informative space type stuff with a no BS science take on recent discoveries. You’ll dig it. Swear..

Loves me some Godier! Here is the video in question. Basically he says don't get too excited (like we did finding phosphine in the Venusian atmosphere)

originally posted by: charlyv
Well, you picked a time in our technology where saying something like that can follow you around for your whole life.
Great timing,

Don't jump to conclusions!

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Yes, you are correct.

When calculating the value of gravity on a planet, or any other celestial body for that matter.

We need to consider the radius of the body, because the strength of gravity depends on the mass of the celestial body and the distance from its center.

As to what any sort of sentient creatures would look like if life does happen to exist there.

I suppose we would need to understand the evolutionary processes that took place in far greater detail(or any sort of detail) to even begin to speculate.

Yes, it's actually inversely proportional to the square of the radius of the planet. If the same mass is concentrated in a larger radius the value of the gravitational field will decrease according to the inverse square law.

The way the evolutionary process works is affected by many factors not just the gravitational force. How the planet spins and whether it has any moons play very important roles.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join