It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Scientists make Breakthrough for Long-Range EV Batteries

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany

No energy loss? That is the funniest joke I heard in years.

There is no such thing as no energy loss energy.

Solar panels get hit in the sun, energy loss.

Solar panels need diodes to stop them from back feeding, energy loss.

Solar power controllers get warm regulating the charge and use of energy, energy loss.

You have to charge more energy into a batter than you hat out, energy loss.

The item using the energy is not the same voltage as the battery so you gave to run a converter that puts out heat as it works, energy loss.

Need I go on? You end up with about 10 percent usable energy from sunlight. Not very efficient for something that needs batteries and panels replaced ever 5 years or so and all electronic every 10 years or so.

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass

I get that this is a conspiracy site but many Forums here on ATS aren't about a conspiracy. However opinions sometimes then take over and facts becomes a conspiracy or are so beaten down that all others stay away.

US Scientists make Breakthrough

he US Department of Energy’s Argonne National Laboratory has developed a lithium-air battery that could significantly increase the range of electric vehicles. The new design could one day replace lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries, and power cars, domestic airplanes and long-haul trucks.

I am here because I believe in where the world is heading relating to CO2. EV Vehicles and Hydrogen Power Plants. Whether Global warming is man made is either true or false, those in power know that globally something must be done to slow or stop global warming. I am not here to debate that. I am here to show you what's ongoing in commerce relative to EV Technology, specifically EV batteries. As an Engineer in manufacturing having worked for Air Products & Chemicals in Cryogenics and General Motors Powertrain as a Launch Manager I have faith in industry across the world including China.

For those of you who think its a money grab for some in power it could be. So either continue to bitch about it or play their game and get in on it. EV
is the next generation auto car. Its a global revolution as when horses went out of style. For those who do not understand the stock market, start with Yahoo Finance and Investopedia and look at who the Department of Energy is loaning money to in the EV Industry.

Yahoo Finance

Investopedia

Today the USA stock market is controlled by AI. That's NOT my opinion and yes the stock market is a risk. I got that from billionaire Louis G. Navellier, as I pay a whooping $49 bucks / year for his entry level Growth Investor web site. Many investor billionaires are selling BS IMO. This guy isn't perfect but I can see through the BS and have found he has more good than bad on his web page.

Lithium Ion batteries explode, are costly and the environmental damage is potentially significant. then we have charge time issues. IMO the world is on mission Warp Speed to re-engineer the EV battery. Sorry Donald as IMO his head is still in the coal mines, the globalists saw that so he is being put down.

The lithium-air battery uses a solid electrolyte instead of the typical liquid variety, potentially boosting the battery’s energy density by as much as four times above Li-ion batteries, which translates into a longer driving range. The new design is also not subject to the usual safety issues with the liquid electrolytes used in Li-ion and other batteries, which can overheat and catch fire.

“For over a decade, scientists at Argonne and elsewhere have been working overtime to develop a lithium battery that makes use of the oxygen in air,” said Larry Curtiss, an Argonne Distinguished Fellow, in a press statement. “The lithium-air battery has the highest projected energy density of any battery technology being considered for the next generation of batteries beyond lithium-ion.”

Do your work, read international articles. If you find three sources all saying the same thing on an international scale its typically true, even on the internet.

Good Luck and Prosper!

if i could snap my fingers and everyone in the us who has a car now got an EV it would crash the grid.

where do people think the power going into those batteries, regardless of type, come from? mostly COAL and NATUAL GAS with some Nuclear thown in.

the so called green sources couldnt handle the US grind for even a second unless every power plant was a high multi 100ME to GW class reactors.

So all you EV owners when your feeling like your saving the earth remember where and HOW that Lithium was extracted(in China and extremally dirty) and where the power comes from.

until we have some sort of new power source all over the place EV's en mass are a pipe dream.

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: OrangeOrbs

The " Irony " of the Illogical " Green Agenda " is Apparent to those who Still have a somewhat Sane Thought Process , and can Evidently See that what is Professed by " Them " is Nothing More than a Pipe Dream that Will Never Exist in Our Lifetimes . Maybe in 100 Years " Green Energy " Might be a Viable Energy Source to Power the World in the Future , but Not Now .

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

right but in 100 years where i live will be underwater.

we need a dense easy power source that cant be turned into a nuke.(control rod re processing to get plutonium).

The Earth as we know it right now will no longer exist in less than 10 years let along 100 or 1000.

EV cars are not going to save the Earth, Earth goes thru cycles of heating and cooling and we are likely in a warming period with all the other crap we are pumping into the air is making earth a hot house.

you know the history of Venus right? that it was like Earth at one day until a runaway(unstoppable) warming happened from the atmospheric composition changing and getting blown into space leaving the heavy gases and what not to cook Venus for4 all time.

We need to get off Earth ASAP as a species that is.

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 06:11 AM
link   

I own a gasoline powered Colorado truck. Most will be charged at night at home when grid usage is low.

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Solid State and Proton batteries

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

So are you going to use unicorn farts or pixie dust to make hydrogen?

Come on your better than that. You will eat "Green" approved genetically altered beans, enjoy them and outgas reusable energy into your WallBox EV Charger for your EV vehicle

An analysis by KPMG says the U.S. currently has enough generating capability to charge 80 million EVs during overnight hours—hence the need to control when cars are charged. The Edison Electric Institute estimates there could be 26 million EVs on the road by 2030, up from about 3.2 million today.Feb 5, 2023

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

They already have recycling plants built around the country and in operation like this one in Rochester, NY.

Li-C ycle

Li-Cycle Announces Commercial Lithium-ion Battery Recycling Plant Now Operational in Rochester, New York

ONTARIO, Dec. 2, 2020 /PRNewswire/ – Li-Cycle Corp. (Li-Cycle), North America’s largest capacity lithium-ion battery recycling company, today announced its Spoke 2 facility at Eastman Business Park (EBP) in Rochester, New York is now fully operational. The company’s Spoke 2 will produce an intermediate mixed battery material product (known in the industry as ‘black mass’) from all types of spent lithium-ion batteries, in addition to the black mass currently being produced at Spoke 1 in Kingston, Ontario. The new Rochester facility has the capacity to process up to 5,000 tonnes of spent lithium-ion batteries per year, which brings Li-Cycle’s total recycling capacity to 10,000 tonnes/year through its two North American Spokes.

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

Rather we should be pursuing the other much better options, like solid state sodium/glass batteries

They are and have been. Look up QuantumScape [QS] symbol on stock exchange

QuantumScape

posted on Sep, 7 2023 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

assuming it was sunny that day, thats the problem with solar it only really works when the suns out

posted on Sep, 9 2023 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I have Solar Joos for my cell phone. Bought it back in 2011. It will charge the phone on a cloudy day

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join