It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Scientists make Breakthrough for Long-Range EV Batteries

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I get that this is a conspiracy site but many Forums here on ATS aren't about a conspiracy. However opinions sometimes then take over and facts becomes a conspiracy or are so beaten down that all others stay away.

US Scientists make Breakthrough

he US Department of Energy’s Argonne National Laboratory has developed a lithium-air battery that could significantly increase the range of electric vehicles. The new design could one day replace lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries, and power cars, domestic airplanes and long-haul trucks.

I am here because I believe in where the world is heading relating to CO2. EV Vehicles and Hydrogen Power Plants. Whether Global warming is man made is either true or false, those in power know that globally something must be done to slow or stop global warming. I am not here to debate that. I am here to show you what's ongoing in commerce relative to EV Technology, specifically EV batteries. As an Engineer in manufacturing having worked for Air Products & Chemicals in Cryogenics and General Motors Powertrain as a Launch Manager I have faith in industry across the world including China.

For those of you who think its a money grab for some in power it could be. So either continue to bitch about it or play their game and get in on it. EV
is the next generation auto car. Its a global revolution as when horses went out of style. For those who do not understand the stock market, start with Yahoo Finance and Investopedia and look at who the Department of Energy is loaning money to in the EV Industry.

Yahoo Finance

Investopedia

Today the USA stock market is controlled by AI. That's NOT my opinion and yes the stock market is a risk. I got that from billionaire Louis G. Navellier, as I pay a whooping $49 bucks / year for his entry level Growth Investor web site. Many investor billionaires are selling BS IMO. This guy isn't perfect but I can see through the BS and have found he has more good than bad on his web page.

Lithium Ion batteries explode, are costly and the environmental damage is potentially significant. then we have charge time issues. IMO the world is on mission Warp Speed to re-engineer the EV battery. Sorry Donald as IMO his head is still in the coal mines, the globalists saw that so he is being put down.

The lithium-air battery uses a solid electrolyte instead of the typical liquid variety, potentially boosting the battery’s energy density by as much as four times above Li-ion batteries, which translates into a longer driving range. The new design is also not subject to the usual safety issues with the liquid electrolytes used in Li-ion and other batteries, which can overheat and catch fire.

“For over a decade, scientists at Argonne and elsewhere have been working overtime to develop a lithium battery that makes use of the oxygen in air,” said Larry Curtiss, an Argonne Distinguished Fellow, in a press statement. “The lithium-air battery has the highest projected energy density of any battery technology being considered for the next generation of batteries beyond lithium-ion.”

Do your work, read international articles. If you find three sources all saying the same thing on an international scale its typically true, even on the internet.

Good Luck and Prosper!

edit on 04 13 2023 by Waterglass because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 09:00 AM
link   
We had a lovely breakthrough in solar energy storage a long time ago, it's called gasoline.

The trees take the sun and co2 and turn it into carbon, then over time they are converted to oil... we Crack the oil into gas and give the co2 back to the trees

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Actually since 2020 I have been in USA Oil Refiners. Marathon Oil [MRO] I also own FORD [F]

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

Let’s say that this is an actual breakthrough. Ok, great. Who owns it? “Dept of energy” ha

Anyways, every automaker has invested billions of dollars on the construction of lithium ion battery factories.
GM with LG.
Ford with CATL
Toyota with TBMNC
They won’t/can’t change to another battery type quickly.

Yeah, they all see the direction of future government mandates.
Electric at whatever cost.

I will never understand why anyone with an actual goal of reducing carbon emissions would try to change the system that will have the least amount of impact. Electricity generation releases the most carbon so let’s create a method that will require more electricity…..🤷‍♂️

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 10:10 AM
link   

while I also believe we are going to transition to another energy source eventually with regard to cars at least, I have to be a realist, as to ignore reality is kind of idiotic. Reality is now. We don't have the infrastructure to support EV's, and they have proven at this stage to be problematic. We haven't discussed how expensive replacement batteries are, or what their effect on the global waste end will be. So until those small kinks are worked out, we will need to continue using gas in cars. Again, this is reality and has no bearing on the AGW aspect of anything. Algore could be spot on, and this would still be the reality. Luckily, he likely isn't even close.

As for our power grid, nuklear power is the cleanest, and best option we have ATM. In areas that only have coal fired plants, wanting to shut them down is ecologically nice, but until you have a replacement that is proven to work, you can't just shut them down.

So I agree, investing in the future is a good play, as long as you pick the right horse. But understanding the big picture is key to not falling into the DERP trap.

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Sounds like a desperate grasp to save investors electric meme cars.
A bunch of politicians are in oil right now. Imo they already knew they were a meme and intended to ride high gas prices to the bank.

What is this BS statement?

The lithium-air battery uses a solid electrolyte instead of the typical liquid variety,

Lmao.
News flash, they are lying
"the typical liquid variety"

Yeah, they arent "liquid"...now or ever
edit on 9 by Mandroid7 because: sp

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

So I agree, investing in the future is a good play, as long as you pick the right horse. But understanding the big picture is key to not falling into the DERP trap.

Well written as I agree. Pick the right company and you will hit it big.

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

FYI

About 99,800,000 results (0.59 seconds)

Most lithium batteries use a liquid electrolyte such as LiPF6, LiBF4, or LiClO4, in an organic solvent. However, recent advances have made solid ceramic electrolytes–such as lithium metal oxides an option for batteries.

Dec 14, 2022

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Electricity generation releases the most carbon so let’s create a method that will require more electricity

Your statement pertains to coal burning electrical generation plants. Correct? Coal can go away for Hydrogen.

Cars, trucks, planes trains and boats spew CO2. Go electric and its reduced.

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
We had a lovely breakthrough in solar energy storage a long time ago, it's called gasoline.

The trees take the sun and co2 and turn it into carbon, then over time they are converted to oil... we Crack the oil into gas and give the co2 back to the trees

Yes, and then all you have to do is wait another 50 or 60 million years and the trees will be converted back to oil.

Maybe we should find a shorter term solution.

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass

"The US Department of Energy’s Argonne National Laboratory has developed a lithium-air battery that could significantly increase the range of electric vehicles. The new design could one day replace lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries, and power cars, domestic airplanes and long-haul trucks."

There are already far better potential replacements.

Due to the extremely toxic nature of mining lithium, anything that uses it is, inj my book, a non-starter.

Rather we should be pursuing the other much better options, like solid state sodium/glass batteries that have been pursued by the likes of the same guy who also designed the original lithium ion battery - John Goodenough. Sadly I just learned that John recently died at the ripe old age of 100.

edit on 4-9-2023 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Exactly what power source is used to make the hydrogen? Right now it is mostly coal. As is all electricity. I see several trains a day of coal feeding the biggest generation station in my area go by every day. That is two or three a day, 365.25 days a year.

I also love your statement about information from three sources. Ever heard of copy and paste?

I like and agree with most of your threads but at the present time EVs are just not feasible for total replacement of all vehicles and I don't see it so for many decades. Yes, there are baby steps in their development but we need a real breakthrough in energy. Something like a 'Mr. Fusion'.

The governments need to get out of pushing EVs and let the market sort it all out. If they can make a commercially viable EV, then people will want to buy it. Right now, they are reaching their sales limit and a lot of people are actually switching back away from EVs.

One of the biggest problems I see with all of them is they are designed from cars. The only innovative and possibly viable design I know of is the Aptera. Light weight and super aerodynamic. Inspired by aircraft design.

Putting carmakers to the task of making EVs is like putting a brick layer to making a travel trailer, it just is not in their skill set. But hay, a house is a house, right? Bricks on wheels.
edit on 4-9-2023 by beyondknowledge2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Yeah , Now if they can Only Find a Way to Safely Dispose of the Massive Toxic Waste EV Battery Production Produces then Maybe it Will One Day be a Viable Technology . As of Right Now , it Pollutes the Environment more than Coal and Oil Combined .

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 12:00 PM
link   
when i am in target, and i see IDI0TS sitting 'charging' their cars doing nothing but WAITING.

i laugh at the f00ls.

idi0ts.

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass
a reply to: Bluntone22

Electricity generation releases the most carbon so let’s create a method that will require more electricity

Your statement pertains to coal burning electrical generation plants. Correct? Coal can go away for Hydrogen.

Cars, trucks, planes trains and boats spew CO2. Go electric and its reduced.

So are you going to use unicorn farts or pixie dust to make hydrogen?
🤷‍♂️😂

Honestly there is not going to be a change any time soon because these changes will take decades and haven’t even begun to happen. Nuclear power plants should have been started in the 90s.
edit on 4-9-2023 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Don't forget the toxic waste from solar cell production and the 120 tones plus of coal that is needed for each windmill. Green energy is anything but green.

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

We can skip the time under pressure steps by using wood gassification. It takes wood and makes it into a gas that burns in an internal combination engine. Oh, wait, that is somewhat complicated to work and the average driver, read idiot, would not be able to run it. That is why it is still experimental only even though it was used on a small scale in WWII.
edit on 4-9-2023 by beyondknowledge2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

It's phenomenal, we only have to wait a few eons to get that sunlight back, instead of using it directly as it arrives, at no energy loss.

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 12:50 PM
link   

What type of batteries run our cell phones and laptops? I'll be glad when those last 400% longer before needing a charge.

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge2

Meanwhile in the Land of Climate Change Propaganda , The Suppression of " Clean Burning Coal " Continues..........

The Cleanest Coal Technology

Coal gasification offers one of the most versatile and cleanest ways to convert coal into electricity. Rather than burning coal directly, coal is broken down into its basic chemical constituents during gasification. Under these conditions, the carbon molecules in coal break apart, setting off chemical reactions that typically produce a mixture of carbon monoxide, hydrogen, and other gaseous compounds.

Coal gasification may offer a further environmental advantage in addressing concerns over the atmospheric build-up of greenhouse gases. If oxygen is used in a coal gasifier instead of in an aerial environment, carbon dioxide is emitted as a concentrated gas stream in syngas at high pressure. In this form, it can be captured and impounded more easily and at lower costs. On the other hand, when coal burns or is reacted in air, 80% of which is nitrogen, the resulting carbon dioxide is diluted and is more costly to separate.

The ability to produce electricity, while eliminating nearly all air pollutants and potentially reducing greenhouse gas emissions, makes coal gasification a promising technology for energy plants of the future.

www.azocleantech.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join